2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole idea of Nader 'costing' the Dems is nonsense. Obviously a fair number of people liked what Nader said, more so than Gore. So it was the latter's fault that they could not garner the votes of the former's. Funny enough that's how a democracy should work, people vote for the platform that resonates most with them, not one they're obligated to.

It's not as if Nader or Gore are similar candidates anyway, ditto for Bernie and Shillary.

simply put.

to minimize someone's vote is an insult to the concept of Democracy in itself.

It's a two-party system, and votes have consequences.

This whole idea of Nader 'costing' the Dems is nonsense. Obviously a fair number of people liked what Nader said, more so than Gore. So it was the latter's fault that they could not garner the votes of the former's. Funny enough that's how a democracy should work, people vote for the platform that resonates most with them, not one they're obligated to.

It's not as if Nader or Gore are similar candidates anyway, ditto for Bernie and Shillary.

Not very many people did, but they were enough to siphon off votes from Gore and thus handing the election to Bush. It would be a similar situation if Trump or Sanders ran as 3rd party candidates, much as it was when Perot ran. The US is set up as a two party system where a mildly popular 3rd party candidate will almost always tip the election towards one of the two parties.

It's a two-party system, and votes have consequences.

It's an election so votes are supposed to have consequence if the system is being correctly implemented.

And what if neither of each party's respective candidate resonates with the voter? If a candidate leaks votes to a 3rd party then that's the fault of their platform, not the voter.

It's an election so votes are supposed to have consequence if the system is being correctly implemented.

And what if neither of each party's respective candidate resonates with the voter? If a candidate leaks votes to a 3rd party then that's the fault of their platform, not the voter.

Not when the system is setup as a two party system. The US can't currently sustain a 3rd party without tipping all elections towards one of the two existing parties.

This is what I have been saying all along. To Raoul's response. Both parties are responsible for that. Bill Clinton and Bush.

This is what I have been saying all along. To Raoul's response. Both parties are responsible for that. Bill Clinton and Bush.

See my previous post. Nader had every right to run, but let's not pretend his participation didn't gift the world with 8 years of Dubya.

To be fair, Perot didn't change the outcome of '92, but it's an anomaly that requires a lot of factors to happen.

There was a point when Perot was leading in the polls but abruptly dropped out because he claimed an issue with his daughter. He got back in later and his numbers never recovered.

Not very many people did, but they were enough to siphon off votes from Gore and thus handing the election to Bush. It would be a similar situation if Trump or Sanders ran as 3rd party candidates, much as it was when Perot ran. The US is set up as a two party system where a mildly popular 3rd party candidate will almost always tip the election towards one of the two parties.

They couldn't have 'siphoned' votes from Gore considering he never initially owned nor was he obligated to the votes of those who ultimately voted for Nader. In a democracy you're supposed to garner votes through the merits of your platform, not assume they'd passively come streaming in because of who your opponent is.

Fortunately, some people don't consider politics to be exclusively dichotomous and actively seek to gift their vote for the platform they most agree with.

There was a point when Perot was leading in the polls but abruptly dropped out because he claimed an issue with his daughter. He got back in later and his numbers never recovered.

Exit polls in the end show that he drew significantly more voters from Clinton than Bush, almost a 2-1 margin. What killed team Bush that election was his violation of the no new taxes promise. His ceiling remained appallingly low the whole cycle for an incumbent.

They couldn't have 'siphoned' votes from Gore considering he never initially owned nor was he obligated to the votes of those who ultimately voted for Nader. In a democracy you're supposed to garner votes through the merits of your platform, not assume they'd passively come streaming in because of who your opponent is.

Fortunately, some people don't consider politics to be exclusively dichotomous and actively seek to gift their vote for the platform they most agree with.

That's how it works in a two party system. Votes lean either left or right and when a third party candidate who leans left or right joins in, it affects the side he is on detrimentally. In Nader's case, he was basically an environmental/consumer conscious version of Sanders, so we knew where his votes would come from. Hint - not Bush.

has this worked for the majority?

do you think nothing needs to change?
I think the electoral system is vastly outdated and should change, which you do by working hard to elect legislators that are willing to do it, and make it a policy plank within the party. A vote is part of a collective action that has consequence by design, it's not merely a narcissistic projection of your values. I'm not saying you cannot vote for a third party, I'm saying at least have the balls to say "yeah Bush and Gore would've been as bad as each other, I don't care who got in". Denying actual cause and effect is laughable.

Bush won Florida by 500 votes. Nader got 97,500. I'm sure a good portion of those had the decency to at least feel a little regret.

Correct, I'm reliant on people with a clue in the US not giving Donald Trump access to nuclear launch codes.

Liberals in 1980 expressed similar fears about the nuclear consequences of a Reagan presidency. The left's predilection for Manichean caricatures of their political opponents can lead them into serious error. :D

Whatever else he may do, I doubt Trump will blow up the world.

I think the electoral system is vastly outdated and should change, which you do by working hard to elect legislators that are willing to do it, and make it a policy plank within the party. A vote is part of a collective action that has consequence by design, it's not merely a narcissistic projection of your values. I'm not saying you cannot vote for a third party, I'm saying at least have the balls to say "yeah Bush and Gore would've been as bad as each other, I don't care who got in". Denying actual cause and effect is laughable.

Bush won Florida by 500 votes. Nader got 97,500. I'm sure a good portion of those had the decency to at least feel a little regret.

Nader's participation basically changed the trajectory of the US and by proxy the world. 9/11, both wars, the great recession, multiple QEs etc.

That's how it works in a two party system. Votes lean either left or right and when a third party candidate who leans left or right joins in, it affects the side he is on detrimentally. In Nader's case, he was basically an environmental/consumer conscious version of Sanders, so we knew where his votes would come from. Hint - not Bush.

Then Gore has himself to blame for 'losing' a considerable amount of votes to Nader. Obviously a fair amount of those on the left did not believe he was progressive enough.

You're also making out that Bush, Gore and Nader were the only 3 candidates in the election. There were numerous other 3rd party candidates, including those on the right. Its just as feasible that someone on the right could have crippled Bush, alas it was not the case. Hence it was to the testament of Nader's strong campaign and the inability of Gore to captivate the progressive base which led to the outcome we got. (Well actually it was the Supreme court, but lets not get into that).

Then Gore has himself to blame for 'losing' a considerable amount of votes to Nader. Obviously a fair amount of those on the left did not believe he was progressive enough.

You're also making out that Bush, Gore and Nader were the only 3 candidates in the election. There were numerous other 3rd party candidates, including those on the right. Its just as feasible that someone on the right could have crippled Bush, alas it was not the case. Hence it was to the testament of Nader's strong campaign and the inability of Gore to captivate the progressive base which led to the outcome we got. (Well actually it was the Supreme court, but lets not get into that).

The numbers Nader racked up are clear. He racked up far more votes (nearly 3m) than any other 3rd party candidate. He knew exactly what he was doing at the time and what the repercussions might be, and he still marched on with the likes of Phil Donahue cheering him on.

..and lets not forget the role of the Supreme Court that was a result of the two party system that 'appointed' Bush.

The likes of Bernie and Ralph Nader before him are more interested in pushing their views of change than worrying about who might get elected if they participate in a 3 way race. Nader alone, was responsible for both Dubya victories over Gore and Kerry. Bernie isn't a Dem, has no allegiance to their apparatus which in his view are in the tank for Hillary (replete with soft/dirty money).

Comparing Bernie to Ralph Nader is once again, laughable. Stop with the nonsense. About as accurate as saying Bernie has as much a chance as Ben Carson. I don´t know if you get it or not, but Sanders has proved himself to be an extremely serious candidate with massive support from the Democratic party, and nearly knocked off a shoe in candidate of the Democratic machine.

And how can you say he doesn´t have allegiance to the Democratic party? He´s running on their ticket, votes totally along their lines, and is getting nearly half their votes. Face it, he is a Democrat except for the label, and always has been. He would never run as a third party candidate so your comparison is dead in the water.

The numbers Nader racked up are clear. He racked up far more votes (nearly 3m) than any other 3rd party candidate. He knew exactly what he was doing at the time and what the repercussions might be, and he still marched on with the likes of Phil Donahue cheering him on.

It was Florida in the end right? and SCOTUS stopped the recount.

This is getting very silly.

Different Presidents have different policies with respect to intelligence gathering and what the threshold of getting involved in foreign wars. Who is to say a Gore administration wouldn't have acted more forcefully when initially briefed about the possibility of a domestic attack.

Comparing Bernie to Ralph Nader is once again, laughable. Stop with the nonsense. About as accurate as saying Bernie has as much a chance as Ben Carson. I don´t know if you get it or not, but Sanders has proved himself to be an extremely serious candidate with massive support from the Democratic party, and nearly knocked off a shoe in candidate of the Democratic machine.

And how can you say he doesn´t have allegiance to the Democratic party? He´s running on their ticket, votes totally along their lines, and is getting nearly half their votes. Face it, he is a Democrat except for the label, and always has been. He would never run as a third party candidate so your comparison is dead in the water.

He's not really a Dem. He hasn't raised much if any money for them, isn't a part of their apparatus (which is currently controlled by the Clinton cartel), and has spent 36 years as an Independent. He may be a Democrat in name at the moment, but his entire life and policy positions have not been consistent with those of the Democratic party.

Different Presidents have different policies with respect to intelligence gathering and what the threshold of getting involved in foreign wars. Who is to say a Gore administration wouldn't have acted more forcefully when initially briefed about the possibility of a domestic attack.
And who is to say a Gore administration wouldn't have made even more of a bollocks of it, more attacks happened, even more bloodlust from the American public and even more reckless foreign policy.

Ralph Nader could've stopped WWIII.

Trudat, Gore fecked it up mightily (although he still won the election!). He didn't let Bill campaign for him, did shit in the dabates and was just an awkward candidate.

And who is to say a Gore administration wouldn't have made even more of a bollocks of it, more attacks happened, even more bloodlust from the American public and even more reckless foreign policy.

Ralph Nader could've stopped WWIII.

I would've taken the Clinton/Gore approach over the Dubya/Cheney/Rumsfeld approach any day of the week.

Liberals in 1980 expressed similar fears about the nuclear consequences of a Reagan presidency. The left's predilection for Manichean caricatures of their political opponents can lead them into serious error. :D

Whatever else he may do, I doubt Trump will blow up the world.

What's funny is that Reagan actually nearly did the opposite and sign away all US nukes!

had data that supported both sides. The point being Bush was appointed by cronies from his own party. A result of the two party system that a number on here want to see go on.

Including you apparently, who supports that "Democrat" Bernie Sanders on becoming President.

Status
Not open for further replies.