2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's in the work. He wins independents by 30 points and loses out narrowly on registered Dems in the nearest polls. Per NBC's exit polls, 74% of voters are Dems. That's anything from a 7-10% win.
Notoriously unreliable breakdowns until they're matched up to real votes though. He'll win the state but not sure the exits tell us much yet.

Now watch him win 55-45 :p

If that's correct, Hillary should win Wisconsin overwhelmingly. Somehow I think Bernie will win by some distance.

If that's correct, Hillary should win Wisconsin overwhelmingly. Somehow I think Bernie will win by some distance.
Those are about the figures for Dem anti-establishment sentiment in pretty much every state, including ones Bernie wins (was even less than that in Michigan).

With the standard safety warning that Bernie won Missouri and Illinois per the early exits, so could change by a few % either way yet.

I don't remember Missouri at all, but the one I do remember that was catastrophically off was Ohio. Illiinois was narrow enough that you can excuse the pollsters. Ohio ended at a 15-20 pt difference and the polls had it within 5-10 I think.

As a side note, there are reports of long lines of voters due to WI's voter ID laws. Thanks feck for Donald Drumpf. Against Jebby or Mittens, these laws can be the difference between winning and losing the G.E.

I don't remember Missouri at all, but the one I do remember that was catastrophically off was Ohio. Illiinois was narrow enough that you can excuse the pollsters. Ohio ended at a 15-20 pt difference and the polls had it within 5-10 I think.
Missouri and Illinois were both marked from early exits as 3 point Bernie wins from memory, nothing major. Ohio was definitely off but then no-one expected quite how well Hillary would do with the early voting there (which is another point, not actually sure how those votes could be represented in exit polling).

Don't think they're doing a bad job or anything, just very hard to get it right before voting's even finished, and does give some interesting early data nonetheless.

So contested convention and Cruz will win the nomination I reckon.

Perhaps the GOP will be so relieved that Trump isn't their nominee that they'll rally and propel Cruz to victory in November.

CfU0WeJWwAACw8z.jpg

Pretty sure he wrote this himself.

It's nonsensical to count superdelegates... they're unpledged, mate.

Well, after today she still leads in pledges over 200, with 6 closed primaries coming up between 19-26. NY alone doles out 247.

This was officially over after March 15. It's the hope that kills.

Well, after today she still leads in pledges over 200, with 6 closed primaries coming up between 19-26. NY alone doles out 247.

This was officially over after March 15. It's the hope that kills.

I'm sure you've been saying that this is over since way before then. Weirdly, it seems to worry Clinton, whose folks have come out and said that the gloves are off. It might not be you, but somebody is sweating over these developments.

Not that Sanders is a lock, or even nearing a lock... Just saying the same thing I've been saying since early autumn: this is no foregone conclusion.

I'm sure you've been saying that this is over since way before then. Weirdly, it seems to worry Clinton, whose folks have come out and said that the gloves are off. It might not be you, but somebody is sweating over these developments.

Not that Sanders is a lock, or even nearing a lock... Just saying the same thing I've been saying since early autumn: this is no foregone conclusion.

I'm willing to put money where my mouth is. Care for a bet?

And what folks? The fact that the first ad they ran in NY was a pivot to Trump speaks volumes. The back and forth over debate date and what not is just posturing.

You are correct about one thing though. It was over after March 1, but March 15 put it beyond doubt.

I'm willing to put money where my mouth is. Care for a bet?

And what folks? The fact that the first ad they ran in NY was a pivot to Trump speaks volumes. The back and forth over debate date and what not is just posturing.

You are correct about one thing though. It was over after March 1, but March 15 put it beyond doubt.

I don't really have the money for frivolous bets... and it's not as if I'm putting Sanders up as the likely nominee, I'm just saying it's not over.

What folks, I do not know. I was on the Sanders reddit and several people said that CNN had an interview with a Clinton campaigner or something stating that they were losing patience with Sanders and that they would be going into proper attack mode. Sadly, threads on reddit go a bit too fast for me to be able to relocate it and find the exact wording, but it doesn't really matter. Hillary pivoted ages ago, she's had to pivot back because she recognises that it ain't over.

Anyway, Bernie's been fighting a great campaign, with the DNC and the media doing their level best to marginalise him in the whole primary process. Hillary keeps shedding votes, he keeps amassing them, and she's virtually doing the political equivalent of taking the ball to the corner flag to stall for time. Whether it will be enough, time will tell. I just wish people wouldn't be making these strong statements about it being done. We've been inundated with that kind of certainty ever since her coronation last summer, and pundits and their assessments have been woefully wrong thus far.

@Eriku yup, CNN correspondent said - Clinton campaign had run out of patience and would go into attack mode...move to 'disqualify' Sanders and worry about bringing the party back together later.

@Eriku yup, CNN correspondent said - Clinton campaign had run out of patience and would go into attack mode...move to 'disqualify' Sanders and worry about bringing the party back together later.

Ah, cheers.

Anybody else think that this sounds like a stupid-ass move? Clinton's already got bad favourables, and now she's going to up the nasty in trying to halt the sympathetic senator's progress?

I'm no political genius, but it sounds like it's bound to back-fire, at least in this election climate.

I don't really have the money for frivolous bets... and it's not as if I'm putting Sanders up as the likely nominee, I'm just saying it's not over.

Well, if you are up for it, the money will be for charities. I make monthly donations to Doctors Without Borders.

What folks, I do not know. I was on the Sanders reddit and several people said that CNN had an interview with a Clinton campaigner or something stating that they were losing patience with Sanders and that they would be going into proper attack mode. Sadly, threads on reddit go a bit too fast for me to be able to relocate it and find the exact wording, but it doesn't really matter. Hillary pivoted ages ago, she's had to pivot back because she recognises that it ain't over.

They've been treating him with kid's gloves. However, as he's becoming more negative, they must respond, or the silence/inaction validates his attacks. That's politics 101.

Anyway, Bernie's been fighting a great campaign, with the DNC and the media doing their level best to marginalise him in the whole primary process. Hillary keeps shedding votes, he keeps amassing them, and she's virtually doing the political equivalent of taking the ball to the corner flag to stall for time. Whether it will be enough, time will tell. I just wish people wouldn't be making these strong statements about it being done. We've been inundated with that kind of certainty ever since her coronation last summer, and pundits and their assessments have been woefully wrong thus far.

This is a myth. The media have been, on the contrary, un-critical of Bernie, in their quest to create the illusion of a horse race to keep interest in the Dem nominating process. Now they've begun to vet him, and mistakes surfaced like that NYDN interview. Your analogy fits Bernie's better than Clinton's campaign. If the pundits were wrong about anything this cycle, it's the rise of Trump, not Bernie.

I'll frankly admit, on a personal level, I don't connect with Bernie due to my past experience with fringe politics. However, it doesn't mean I don't respect him or think his heart is in the right place. Yet, as Colbert once said, 'facts have a liberal bias', and in this cycle, the facts have a Clinton's bias.

I'd rather we just kept up doing our normal donations... It's not as if I'm projecting a Bernie nomination with any degree of certainty.

The media may not have gone tremendously negative against him (though I wouldn't say kid gloves), but having virtually no coverage is damaging in its own way. Bernie's main obstacle has been a lack of profile, and the media blackout made this an uphill battle.

He's become more negative? Clearly somebody's swallowing Clinton talking points.

If you can't tell that the coverage is slanted in order to promote a Hillary nomination, I don't know what to tell you. And to say the facts favour Clinton's worldview is utter nonsense,.

Anyway, I think this dialogue's exhausted, I don't see us bridging the gap in worldviews here. To each their own, I may be entirely in the wrong, I'm just calling it like I see it. I wish I could say that I respect Clinton, or trust her to be a decent democratic nominee, but sadly I can't :\

He's become more negative? Clearly somebody's swallowing Clinton talking points.

If you can't tell that the coverage is slanted in order to promote a Hillary nomination, I don't know what to tell you. And to say the facts favour Clinton's worldview is utter nonsense,.

This part, at least, is provably untrue even from Sanders' own point of view.

Everyone's read this article but here it is again: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/04/us/politics/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton.html?_r=0

NYT said:
In October, as they gathered at a hotel outside Las Vegas to prepare for the first Democratic debate, Mr. Sanders’s advisers urged him to challenge Mrs. Clinton over accepting $675,000 from Goldman Sachs for delivering three speeches, according to two Sanders advisers. They thought the speaking fees meshed with the senator’s message about Wall Street excess and a rigged America. But Mr. Sanders, hunched over a U-shaped conference table, rejected it as a personal attack on Mrs. Clinton’s income — the sort of character assault he has long opposed. She has the right to make money, he offered.

Only in mid-January did Mr. Sanders change his mind, when news broke that Goldman Sachs had escaped harsh penalties for its role in the financial crisis. At the Jan. 17 debate, he challenged Mrs. Clinton three times on the speaking fees. On Jan. 28, three days before the Iowa caucuses, he began running a tough ad on the subject.

“The central complication with Bernie is that he never wanted to cross into the zone of personal attacks because it would undercut his brand,” Mr. Devine said. “Is there another candidate who could have run a tough negative campaign against her from the beginning and been effective? Sure, but it couldn’t have been Bernie. That’s just not who he is.”

You can run the argument that he started out too positive and only now has become "normal". I would probably even agree with that. Or you can run the argument that it wasn't necessary then but it is necessary now. Or that Americans deserve to know, or whatever. But you can't seriously be watching the campaign without coming to the conclusion that Sanders has become markedly more negative recently. Sanders himself doesn't believe that. He himself initially rejected the arguments he's currently running as being too negative.

This part, at least, is provably untrue even from Sanders' own point of view.

Everyone's read this article but here it is again: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/04/us/politics/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton.html?_r=0

You can run the argument that he started out too positive and only now has become "normal". I would probably even agree with that. Or you can run the argument that it wasn't necessary then but it is necessary now. Or that Americans deserve to know, or whatever. But you can't seriously be watching the campaign without coming to the conclusion that Sanders has become markedly more negative recently. Sanders himself doesn't believe that. He himself initially rejected the arguments he's currently running as being too negative.

I need sleep, will grudgingly respond tomorrow at some point.

I need sleep, will grudgingly respond tomorrow at some point.

Cheers, good night :) - and sorry for rekindling the discussion that I think you were winding down. Just thought it was an important clarification because I've seen that argument elsewhere, which I think is clearly patently untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.