2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't even hold hearings on Srini - what does this do for a potential nomination if Hillary wins the election? Would Hillary be interested in re-nominating him? Otherwise, this is Obama sacrificing a guy for political gain.

EDIT: It's not Srini with the nomination But the same point remains...

They won't even hold hearings on Srini - what does this do for a potential nomination if Hillary wins the election? Would Hillary be interested in re-nominating him? Otherwise, this is Obama sacrificing a guy for political gain.

EDIT: It's not Srini with the nomination But the same point remains...

It doesn't really matter. Obama needs someone who has overwhelming bipartisan appeal to expose the GOP Congress for what they are. I think Dems want a solid liberal on the court for years to come, especially with Ginsburg wanting to step down.

Republicans would have their own 1968 Chicago convention. It will be very ugly only it won't be the police kicking ass, it'll be mouth-breathing Trumpers.

Remember reading about that in my elementary school history book. Interesting quote from Wiki...

After the Chicago protests, the demonstrators were confident that the majority of Americans would side with them over what had happened in Chicago, especially because of police behavior. They were shocked to learn that controversy over the war in Vietnam overshadowed their cause. Daley shared he had received 135,000 letters supporting his actions and only 5000 condemning them. Public opinion polls demonstrated that the majority of Americans supported the Mayor's tactics. It was often commented through the popular media that on that evening, America decided to vote for Richard Nixon.

Hillary has gone as left as she can - there will be no further shift to the left.

Sanders supporters will come to their senses - people always do. Anyone suggesting mass defections or apathy...is either too young to remember 2008 or has a failing memory :(

In a conventional election Hillary would now start announcing "centrist" policies: harder lines on immigration/Syria/Iran, less talk about college (though her plan is exactly what exists now, but she's selling it as something new). That combined with her vague lines about barriers and making america whole.
Now that she still has issues with the left, she needs to keep on message about tuition fees, etc.

Also, of the ~10 states Sanders has won, he lost among Democrats in every single one bar Vermont and maybe Colorado. Even in NH, with a 22 point win, he lost among registered Dems. 40% of his support in the primaries* themselves has been from independents**. These are not natural Democrat/Clinton voters, and probably not her target in the general. So these won't be defections.

*not caucuses, there are no numbers for those
**I saw this on reddit last night, will be hard to find the source again.

President Clump

trump1.jpg

Remember reading about that in my elementary school history book. Interesting quote from Wiki...

There is no doubt the 1968 protests worked in Nixon's favour, more people where upset with the protesters behaviour and voted for Nixon, than those who supported the protesters actions.

If the protests against Trump continue up to and including the convention, and I expect they will, the same thing could happen. While some people support the actions of the protesters, just as many if not more see them depriving Trump and his supporters of their First admendment rights.

Who knows which way it will go, i know i don't.

There is no doubt the 1968 protests worked in Nixon's favour, more people where upset with the protesters behaviour and voted for Nixon, than those who supported the protesters actions.

If the protests against Trump continue up to and including the convention, and I expect they will, the same thing could happen. While some people support the actions of the protesters, just as many if not more see them depriving Trump and his supporters of their First admendment rights.

Who knows which way it will go, i know i don't.
I agree that actively trying to stop the rallies is low and should be condemned. Peaceful protesting though is fine.

Garland is said to be liberal on gun rights so republicans will see him as a threat to the second amendment and won't approve his nomination.

simple fact is Republicans should not expect a judge that reflects their views when they have not won the Presidency. Elections have consequences. If they block him, the Dems will take the Senate and Presidency and simply pass on 50 votes majority. And all the threats will not matter. I'm assuming Hillary will nominate a center left judge. I could be wrong of course.

simple fact is Republicans should not expect a judge that reflects their views when they have not won the Presidency. Elections have consequences. If they block him, the Dems will take the Senate and Presidency and simply pass on 50 votes majority. And all the threats will not matter. I'm assuming Hillary will nominate a center left judge. I could be wrong of course.

They keep saying about checks and balances but want to have Senate, House, White House and Supreme Court in their favor :wenger:

I feel bad for Merrick Garland. He'll be used as a political football for months.

If Hillary wins she may nominate someone else. If a Republican wins they will definitely nominate someone else.

Not a good position to be in.

They will make the case that you should not appoint someone to the Supreme Court in the middle of an election. It politicalizes the court, which should be above politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.