2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that all states have a State ID. Atleast Oklahoma had one when I was there.
yup, Non driving State ID.

To obtain one, you require a Birth Cert, Social Security Card along with proof of residence. Of course the State ID is not free of cost either (relatively cheap tbf)

Pretty sure that all states have a State ID. Atleast Oklahoma had one when I was there.
Just looked and indeed they do it through the DMV.
U.S. Citizens
Applications must be made in person at your local OK DPS office. You will need:

• Proof of your identification, such as your:
    • U.S. birth certificate (certified).
    • Valid U.S. passport.
    • Social Security card.
  • Proof of your name change (if applicable), such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Court order.

A street I used to drive by in Baltimore. Do you think the residents have their birth certificate, passport and SS card handy? I'm exaggerating my point because residents here are not too likely to be interested in voting. But a few streets over I'm sure they are but can't afford the time to get these documents. Those are the ones being disenfranchised with these laws being put forward.
l4de8af45-m0xd-w480_h480_q80.jpg

A street I used to drive by in Baltimore. Do you think the residents have their birth certificate, passport and SS card handy? I'm exaggerating my point because residents here are not too likely to be interested in voting. But a few streets over I'm sure they are but can't afford the time to get these documents. Those are the ones being disenfranchised with these laws being put forward.
l4de8af45-m0xd-w480_h480_q80.jpg

In India i have seen people striving to get Voter ID's just to vote in far flung rural areas with mass poverty if anything because they need government more than the well off.

There are flaws at state level including deliberate striking off but the process generally works well with a even bigger and more diverse population. You can also use Driver license and other ID's as long as you check your name on the voter list which political parties also help in doing.

Now there's a whole process going on about getting everyone a Biometric ID which is then linked to subsidies and might be necessary for a bank account in the future also. And a case regarding it being a invasion of privacy is also on in the supreme court at the same time.

I believe government IDs here are basically limited to drivers licenses, military ID and passports. If you don't drive, are not military or don't plan on traveling why would you get and maintain any of these? Some examples of this: Old ladies over 65 with zero interest in driving. College kids without cars. NY residents who can't afford to park a car and only use public transport (I know many NY residents who have no car). And finally, low income minorities who don't have 4 days to spare to play document roulette with the racist white guy behind the counter. Now, if nationwide Federal laws came into place mandating these for all and actually made it EASY to obtain these, that changes the discussion.

Edit: I'm all for a national ID as unamerican as it is.
Oh yeah, I believed you that not every american has an ID from the first post. I didn't need convincing that it's possible :lol:. Was just saying how absurd I think it is.

Not everyone in my country has a valid driving's license or passport, either. The difference is that we have an ID, which is exactly and only that - a card with your picture and most important information that is used to verify your identity. Everyone above the age of 14 is required to have and carry it, with the first one being free and then there's some symbolic tax in the sort of 10 euros that you have to pay to get a new one (every 10 years). You need that ID for so many things here, I can't imagine being able to live without one. That's why I was so shocked americans don't have one.

Last edited:
and this has always been the issue...of course there is nothing unreasonable with asking voters to show proper ID when exercising such an important act. You get Id'd to get into a club on the weekend...so why not to vote?

Except...the reality is, this works out as a major hindrance. To you, me or the average person? No. I have all manner of documentation, but there are genuinely millions of Americans without valid photo ID, and in some states, they are now being asked to produce Birth Certificates and Proof of Citizenship to obtain said Photo ID.

It sounds incredible, but the hoops people have to jump through, leads many to simply not bother.

anyways....I've derailed the thread enough....

Here is a laugh for the Bernie fans, when a guest goes rogue

Good video, very funny

Oh yeah, I believed you that not every american has an ID from the first post. I didn't need convincing that it's possible :lol:. Was just saying how absurd I think it is.

Not everyone in my country has a valid driving's license or passport, either. The difference is that we have an ID, which is exactly and only that - a card with your picture and most important information that is used to verify your identity. Everyone above the age of 14 is required to have and carry it, with the first one being free and then there's some symbolic tax in the sort of 10 euros that you have to pay to get a new one (every 10 years). You need that ID for so many things here, I can't imagine being able to live without one. That's why I was so shocked americans don't have one.
Basically the same in Hong Kong, well, everyone gets them at 11 and are required to carry them at 15.

How does Sanders have a better chance than Hillary to win the election? Don't site the polls of them vs Trump. Hillary has been the Republican's favorite enemy for decades, Sanders have hardly even been mentioned by them. We have no idea how those numbers will be affected if he wins the nomination and faces the full force of the GOP.

The same logic that says her Southern states in the primary after likely to go red in November can easily be spun round.

so when have the Democrats won the Southern States?

so when have the Democrats won the Southern States?
1976 Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Ford Carter Carter Carter Ford Carter
1980 Reagan Reagan Reagan Carter Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Carter
1984 Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan
1988 Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Dukakis
1992 Bush Clinton Bush Clinton Clinton Clinton Bush Bush Bush Bush Clinton Bush Bush Clinton
1996 Dole Clinton Clinton Dole Clinton Clinton Dole Dole Dole Dole Clinton Dole Dole Clinton
2000 Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush
2004 Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush
2008 McCain McCain Obama McCain McCain McCain McCain Obama McCain McCain McCain McCain Obama McCain
2012 Romney Romney Obama Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Obama Romney

Not since 1976 is your answer, but Clinton made some ground back in '92 and '96. Still, if Obama could only win three against McCain and two against Romney, you'd have to imagine Hillary would be lucky to win more than one or two.

and this has always been the issue...of course there is nothing unreasonable with asking voters to show proper ID when exercising such an important act. You get Id'd to get into a club on the weekend...so why not to vote?

Except...the reality is, this works out as a major hindrance. To you, me or the average person? No. I have all manner of documentation, but there are genuinely millions of Americans without valid photo ID, and in some states, they are now being asked to produce Birth Certificates and Proof of Citizenship to obtain said Photo ID.

It sounds incredible, but the hoops people have to jump through, leads many to simply not bother.

anyways....I've derailed the thread enough....

Here is a laugh for the Bernie fans, when a guest goes rogue

Bill Hader scrubs up well.

1976 Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Carter Ford Carter Carter Carter Ford Carter
1980 Reagan Reagan Reagan Carter Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Carter
1984 Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan Reagan
1988 Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Dukakis
1992 Bush Clinton Bush Clinton Clinton Clinton Bush Bush Bush Bush Clinton Bush Bush Clinton
1996 Dole Clinton Clinton Dole Clinton Clinton Dole Dole Dole Dole Clinton Dole Dole Clinton
2000 Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush
2004 Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush
2008 McCain McCain Obama McCain McCain McCain McCain Obama McCain McCain McCain McCain Obama McCain
2012 Romney Romney Obama Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Romney Obama Romney

Not since 1976 is your answer, but Clinton made some ground back in '92 and '96. Still, if Obama could only win three against McCain and two against Romney, you'd have to imagine Hillary would be lucky to win more than one or two.

Hillary is a very unpopular candidate. She is not her husband. She will win VA. cant see her winning any other Southern state. Her problem is not these states. But FL, OH,MI. They just don't trust her and rightly so.

Looks good for Bernie in Missouri on those numbers, possibly Illinois, less so Ohio.

If Kasich wins the nomination in a contested convention, would he have a chance in the general?

Considering he is the only acceptable candidate for the establishment, could they put him forward over Trump and Cruz in the convention.

In India i have seen people striving to get Voter ID's just to vote in far flung rural areas with mass poverty if anything because they need government more than the well off.

There are flaws at state level including deliberate striking off but the process generally works well with a even bigger and more diverse population. You can also use Driver license and other ID's as long as you check your name on the voter list which political parties also help in doing.

Now there's a whole process going on about getting everyone a Biometric ID which is then linked to subsidies and might be necessary for a bank account in the future also. And a case regarding it being a invasion of privacy is also on in the supreme court at the same time.

In India, they strive to get a voting ID so that they can get the money for the vote. Please don't take offence coz I'm an Indian too.

I used to think like you because vote fraud is a big problem in India. Rough estimates put that 10 to 20% of overall ballot in India could be a result of vote fraud and in some localities, it's much higher. US simply doesn't have the same issue. Take the numbers with a pinch of salt because I can't search and provide links to back that up.

In Minnesota, a couple of times I have reached for my driver's licence, but always waived away. No need. Just look up your name sign next to it and get a voting slip.

It really is almost impossible to have voter fraud. The Republicans simply make shit up.
Before I became a citizen (I think I had my green card at the time) I received a voter ID card. :nervous:

Not sure why I got it but it does make you think.

In India, they strive to get a voting ID so that they can get the money for the vote. Please don't take offence coz I'm an Indian too.

I used to think like you because vote fraud is a big problem in India. Rough estimates put that 10 to 20% of overall ballot in India could be a result of vote fraud and in some localities, it's much higher. US simply doesn't have the same issue. Take the numbers with a pinch of salt because I can't search and provide links to back that up.

Firstly that's too much of a generalization and a elitist view re the first point. I have been to many such rural and urban areas and making their voice heard to get subsidies to survive on or caste/religion identity is a much bigger factor than Money which is a reducing concept in a secret ballot anyway

And re the 2nd point yeah that was a problem but those figures are much exaggerated. Obviously depends area to area but in the past 10/15 years or so it's been cut down a big deal with use of technology compared to what it was before.

Anyway, i am not sure what this has got to do with the point i was making specifically. Probably wrong thread for this debate also.

Firstly that's too much of a generalization and a elitist view re the first point. I have been to many such rural and urban areas and making their voice heard to get subsidies to survive on or caste/religion identity is a much bigger factor than Money which is a reducing concept in a secret ballot anyway

And re the 2nd point yeah that was a problem but those figures are much exaggerated. Obviously depends area to area but in the past 10/15 years or so it's been cut down a big deal with use of technology compared to what it was before.

Anyway, i am not sure what this has got to do with the point i was making specifically. Probably wrong thread for this debate also.

I'm from Usilampatti, Tamil Nadu, studied in Trichy, Tamil Nadu and worked in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. I don't just visit rural areas, I'm from rural India with a significant caste issue. I will definitely agree that the effort from people to get Aadhar cards is to get subsidies from Govt. We've had so many cards now (PAN, Voter and Aadhar card etc), but I believe that the notion of poor people striving to get Voter Id card to exercise their voting right/getting their voice heard is far fetched. Obviously, it's not the only reason and not every poor person does it, but our politics is heavily based on caste.

But money for vote is a significant issue in India. I never begrudge a poor person for accepting money to vote for a particular party, especially when the choice is between Karunanidhi and Jayalalitha. It is relevant to this thread because India's voting issues are significantly different from US. India needs a strong check for voter Id because it's a big issue, even taking conservative numbers and we still don't have a signle political party trying to make it tougher for a particular demographic to vote.

I'm from Usilampatti, Tamil Nadu, studied in Trichy, Tamil Nadu and worked in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. I don't just visit rural areas, I'm from rural India with a significant caste issue. I will definitely agree that the effort from people to get Aadhar cards is to get subsidies from Govt. We've had so many cards now (PAN, Voter and Aadhar card etc), but I believe that the notion of poor people striving to get Voter Id card to exercise their voting right/getting their voice heard is far fetched. Obviously, it's not the only reason and not every poor person does it, but our politics is heavily based on caste.

But money for vote is a significant issue in India. I never begrudge a poor person for accepting money to vote for a particular party, especially when the choice is between Karunanidhi and Jayalalitha. It is relevant to this thread because India's voting issues are significantly different from US. India needs a strong check for voter Id because it's a big issue, even taking conservative numbers and we still don't have a signle political party trying to make it tougher for a particular demographic to vote.

Huh ? It happens with different demographics varying from state to state depending on party in power almost continously. Though voters and other parties/organizations don't allow it to happen on too much a large scale. For example in panchayat election in Gujarat recently with patels angry after agitation there were widespread allegations of patel voters being struck off lists and what not and it goes on all the time.

Dunno if you are basing it only on Tamil Nadu because it varies a lot state to state but you are generalizing way too much. And yeah, it's not only to vote but for other uses as well you need a ID but to say it's only to take money is ridiculous. And money for vote is a issue especially in states like Tamil nadu with parties like DMK, AIADMK but in a secret ballot it's a reducing one.

Anyway, i'd leave this discussion for another thread/or for the time being on here.

Trump and Clinton with huge early voting leads in Florida, as expected. Shouldn't take long for either to be called.

Trump is up by 23 in FL with 14% counted. They will surely call it as a win anytime now. Its all down to Kasich in Ohio and possibly Cruz in MO.

Status
Not open for further replies.