2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair that holds true with a section of right leaning independents (those who find the GOP too moderate) and Reagan Democrats. His ceiling of support amongst rank and file GOP members is consistently about a third, bar the spike after Paris attack. It also explains why to date, he's always fared better in primaries rather than caucuses.

By the way, this is a pretty interesting read regarding race relation with the two Dem candidates.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/why-black-voters-dont-feel-the-bern-213707
I'm really hoping there's some polling in the works for the north-eastern areas like Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan in relation to Trump bringing Dems over, their ranking of Presidential candidates currently etc. The only real evidence so far is some recent head-to-heads in Michigan that showed Trump performing worse than any other Repub in a November matchup, but that has the usual head-to-head caveats. I'm extremely skeptical that Trump's appeal is a net positive in those areas, I think he haemorrhages more support than he wins, due to his being a massive bellend.

And yeah good article, chimes with much of what I've been reading on the issue. The number of times I've seen folk say "but why are they voting against their own interests"...

These primaries have proven all conventional/polling/trendy algorithm predictions wrong, including 538 (the annoying amateur analyst's go to site). Take all graphs with a grain of salt until November.

The number of times I've seen folk say "but why are they voting against their own interests"...

It's awful isn't it.

Although if you think that's bad, you should of seen this one white lady refer to them as super predator's, in a crowed room while being recorded as well. The cheek some people have is unbelievable.

It's awful isn't it.

Although if you think that's bad, you should of seen this one white lady refer to them as super predator's, in a crowed room while being recorded as well. The cheek some people have is unbelievable.
Did you read the article, by any chance?

These primaries have proven all conventional/polling/trendy algorithm predictions wrong, including 538 (the annoying amateur analyst's go to site). Take all graphs with a grain of salt until November.
Not especially, I think they've been correct in most or all Dem race predictions so far and a lot of the GOP ones. The writers were long skeptical of Trump but if anything, of late they've been more guilty of overestimating his chances.

Urgh. I know one fence-sitter about Bernie and managed to convince her (about his health plan) 3 weeks ago.
Yesterday she told me she was voting for Hillary because she will get things done (though she likes his platform more)

It's in NC where his campaign will probably end anyway, but still :(

Urgh. I know one fence-sitter about Bernie and managed to convince her (about his health plan) 3 weeks ago.
Yesterday she told me she was voting for Hillary because she will get things done (though she likes his platform more)

It's in NC where his campaign will probably end anyway, but still :(

0ovYlnC.jpg

Wow. Duckworth is a double amputee from wounds suffered in Iraq.

Did you read the article, by any chance?
Yep. It's a poor article that's trying to add together a somewhat poor answer by Sanders(Hilary's answer was hardly revolutionary)to the failing(if you can even call it that)of the Sanders campaign to get black voters, all at the same time having a dig at Sanders supporters.

Take this for example
Cherry-picking expressions like “superpredators” that she used back then, to try branding her racist today
Aren't they doing the same to Sanders(Although instead of implying he's racist, rather that he's out of touch with the black vote) with his comments from the debate.

The article paints Hilary as a saint like figure yet a couple of quick points, that the article doesn't mention

.The recent mess Hilary was involved in with a member of Black Lives Matter around the whole ''Super Predators''. I was joking in my last post as I do think it's harsh to hold that against her but there's no doubt that the way she handled the protester was poor.

.Hilary's support of Mayor Rahm Emanuel after he's being allege to have cover up the killing of 17 year old Laquan McDonald, the fact that Hilary never mentions Laquan McDonal when talking about police brutality. Oh by the way Emanuel use to be an aid to Bill.

.Hilary's campaign against Obama in 08 and how the plan was to paint Obama as un-american as well trying to pander to the white vote. Hilary's chief strategists at the time Mark Penn sent an email saying Obama roots where limited and at his core un american and how every speech Hilary gives should contain the line you were born in the middle of american, in the middle class and in the middle of the last century(Last bit is slightly odd I know)

That's all just from a quick Google.

As for the rest of the article - it fails to recognize Sanders involvement in the Civil rights movement, has the cheek to talk about Martin Luther King as somehow not on the left yet before King died he was talking about workers rights, unions, anti poverty marches, gives a glowing account of Bill Clintion's presidency without mentioning any of the countless problems of it.

At best the most the interesting part of the article is that blacks votes are more likely to be ''conservative'' and ''religious''. But that was hardly unknown.

Little Marco is at 10% in exit polls for late deciders. Think he could finish behind Kasich here.

Threshold in Michigan...15%. 15 for MS too, 20% for Idaho. Genuinely wonder if we'll begin to see some of his endorsements peel onto Kasich if he gets battered today.

Going all Trumpy on Trump really hurt Rubio badly. Some signs that Trump being too Trumpy recently is hurting Trump as well.

Cruz really has played this smart.

As they say.. never mud wrestle a pig...you'll only get dirty and the pig will like it. Rubio took a massive risk with his idiotic trolling of Trump's hands and all that and is now paying dearly.

So i've not followed this thread for like a fortnight, but these Americans are surely not going to vote that Trump fellow in. Right? That was all a big joke yeah?

So i've not followed this thread for like a fortnight, but these Americans are surely not going to vote that Trump fellow in. Right? That was all a big joke yeah?
He is on course to get the nomination, but would face a tough opponent in Hillary unless more fallout comes from the emails. Or Trump starts selling Tshirts with her dressing up in black-face for Halloween...

Clinton projected to win MS straight away, no surprises. Real question is whether Sanders can top the threshold of 15%.

Get the feeling Michigan will be closer than expected on the Dem side.

I like Bernie as much as the next guy but a lot of his speeches aint half similar, well almost identical.

I remember at the time he had a reputation for keeping everyone in line, and people wondered how it would affect Obama's term not having him around. I wonder was there any effect.
Maybe he should have. As it seems all he's doing now is pissing off the people of Chicago. Although admittly that's just from googling him.

By the way, this is a pretty interesting read regarding race relation with the two Dem candidates.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/why-black-voters-dont-feel-the-bern-213707

I didn't think it was a great article. It reads as though it were written by a Clinton staffer and yet, fails to address anything of real substance in what she has or will actually to for blacks. She seems as happy distancing herself from the missed steps of her husband, as she does aligning herself with his successes. Just more evidence of her "say what needs to be said on whichever day I'm asked the question" approach to politics.

And on Bill, I found it interesting that the author praised him for "appealing to the sophistication of African American voters" as a candidate who "addressed their broader needs without narrowly focusing his message on race", while criticising Bernie for not being as good at playing on the race issue as Hilary, even if his broader message seems more appealing. Seems like a double standard.

I think the most pertinent point raised in the article was religion and the greater importance in which it is held within the AA community, but there are obviously other reasons Bernie has failed to inspire confidence in black voters. I do feel the criticism of people saying things like "but they are voting against their own interests" is being overplayed a little. It's been cleverly turned into some sort of racial patronising, when personally, I think that unless you hold a senior position within a large company or you work on Wall Street, you are voting against your own interests in going along with the establishment, regardless of the colour of your skin.

It's narrowing, and Detroit (high African American percentage) hasn't reported yet.
And Iowa was a big swing, it started -10/-8 and went till -0.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.