2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the anti-Trump vote is consolidating behind Cruz?
in places where Rubio is far far behind.

It's weird, Rubio playing the joker has definitely harmed Trump, but it hasn't helped Rubio at all.

Democrats won't be unhappy. Ted Cruz won't get any independents, or minorities voting for him. In the GE - he is probably less electable than Trump :lol:

Democrats won't be unhappy. Ted Cruz won't get any independents, or minorities voting for him. In the GE - he is probably less electable than Trump :lol:

Yes. They'd definitely rather face Cruz. He's more predictable than Trump. With Trump there is always the fear of the unexpected.

Those two are caucus states tbf. If Cruz wins LA, then he may have a case
Think Trump is meant to win Louisiana.

I mean in the end, with proportional distribution, Trump will still end up having a good-ish night, but it's all about the narrative.

'He's losing momentum', 'piling up losses' 'Cruz on the up' and of course we'll have little Marco telling how how by getting his butt kicked, he actually WON :lol:

Think Trump is meant to win Louisiana.

I mean in the end, with proportional distribution, Trump will still end up having a good-ish night, but it's all about the narrative.

'He's losing momentum', 'piling up losses' 'Cruz on the up' and of course we'll have little Marco telling how how by getting his butt kicked, he actually WON :lol:

true. But the establishment hate Cruz almost as much as Trump. Rubio was their puppet.

This is justice for all the crap the Republican party has inflicted on this country.

in places where Rubio is far far behind.

It's weird, Rubio playing the joker has definitely harmed Trump, but it hasn't helped Rubio at all.

Only thing to be wary of is if there is a contested convention and they actually come away with a nominee that's potentially electable. Of course even in that scenario, there's a strong likelihood of either 3rd party runs or Trump voters abandoning the party.

Still my hope is that Republicans screw Trump, and then Trump screws them by running as independent.

Kansas called for Cruz. Kentucky's another caucus state...

Awful thing to say, but Teddy Kennedy died at the wrong time.
Was just reading up on it to double check and the obstacles to having 60 votes were massive - Kennedy dying (and missing the vast majority of votes whilst he was ill), Robert Byrd was 92 and absent for two thirds of votes (and died in 2010), Franken couldn't get sworn in until mid 2009 due to election challenges, and Specter didn't defect till April 09. So Obama wasn't able to be obstructed for 72 whole days of congressional time over 8 years, assuming the 92 year old could vote. Let's not let facts get in the way of things though.

When Obama took office in '09, these were the top 3 priorities

1. ECONOMY
2. ECONOMY
3. ECONOMY

Yes, he had a strong majority in the Senate but in 2010 the Democrats suffered the biggest loss in Senate elections since the Clinton years...no way, was he going to be able to push for anything dramatic after that.

As it is ACA took what little capital he had left.

People can deny all they want...but, people like Cruz and the Tea Party retards went to Congress with the declared intention of not allowing Obama to work.

Have people forgotten when he won the election in 2012...while the general public said, the people had given Obama a 2nd mandate, republicans and their cnut of a base kept saying...'no, we are the majority in congress...the people voted for gridlock.'

Cruz is the man for Republicans who feel the GOP establishment did not do enough to block Obama. He is doing well in these states where it is closed voting.

He will be worse for the Republicans than Trump because his supporters want more closedowns.

Was just reading up on it to double check and the obstacles to having 60 votes were massive - Kennedy dying (and missing the vast majority of votes whilst he was ill), Robert Byrd was 92 and absent for two thirds of votes (and died in 2010), Franken couldn't get sworn in until mid 2009 due to election challenges, and Specter didn't defect till April 09. So Obama wasn't able to be obstructed for 72 whole days of congressional time over 8 years, assuming the 92 year old could vote. Let's not let facts get in the way of things though.

Back in July last year before Stewart retired from TDS, CC ran a consecutive one month compilation of all past episodes in chronological order. It was surreal to watch what unfolded after the Dems lost Teddy's seat and it was clear that the GOP only waited for something like that to bring out the filibusters.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the 2010 mid term loss was not an indictment of Obama's ability to do the job. If anyone take their time to read up on the matter, the Bush administration alongside the RNC actively ramp up gerrymandering during his 8 years. Coupled that with the Dems' pathetic usual low mid term turn out and you have a recipe for disaster.

They had a supermajority for 72 days.

I don't know about this particular instance since I haven't paid attention to American politics in decades, but I do know it's conventional wisdom that an incoming President has to spend the political capital of his election victory quickly, before the currency devalues. The first two years, or even the first 100 days, are often the most productive of any Presidency, particularly when the incomer has a majority in Congress. Even a two-term President will often look back on his first months in office and think: "That's when I got it done!"

If Obama didn't appreciate that truism of American politics, responsibility for his failures has to laid at his own door.

I don't know about this particular instance since I haven't paid attention to American politics in decades, but I do know it's conventional wisdom that an incoming President has to spend the political capital of his election victory quickly, before the currency devalues. The first two years, or even the first 100 days, are often the most productive of any Presidency, particularly when the incomer has a majority in Congress. Even a two-term President will often look back on his first months in office and think: "That's when I got it done!"

If Obama didn't appreciate that truism of American politics, responsibility for his failures has to laid at his own door.
If it's the first 100 days that are most important, then it kind of sucks for Obama as he didn't have his threadbare filibuster-proof supermajority until a few months after his 100th day. Anyone trying to blame Obama for the obvious and sustained GOP obstructionism is fighting a losing battle here.

Back in July last year before Stewart retired from TDS, CC ran a consecutive one month compilation of all past episodes in chronological order. It was surreal to watch what unfolded after the Dems lost Teddy's seat and it was clear that the GOP only waited for something like that to bring out the filibusters.

What dates exactly? Want to watch.

Looking like a very bad day for Rubio.
Also not great for Trump currently on the face of it, but then from his perspective Cruz doing well and Rubio falling well back is good for him in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.