2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should Hillary be the nominee, she will take on a Latino as a VP imo. Not another woman. And she still will not accept imo.

She may not be top of the list but there's no way she would turn down a VP job, with the possibility becoming President should Hillary pass away.

She may not be top of the list but there's no way she would turn down a VP job, with the possibility becoming President should Hillary pass away.

:eek: well..I hope not.

IF she does accept, I think it would come at a cost to Hillary. I think Warren may require Hillary accept certain policy platforms or it will just seem politics as usual and she would damge her credibility. Having said that I think it wont happen because two white women on the ticket?

A Latino makes sense.

Just my 2 cents anyways.

Probably... But previously I suggested Sanders Warren and from an external observers pov that does seem quite a powerful ticket

That would be very likely. Because firstly they agree 100% on policies. that in fact would be the most important priority I think. Secondly. A man and a woman on a ticket would not drive the men away as two women would ;)

And finally I think as been said Warren and Hillary probabaly hate each other. :)

Julian Castro should be her best option, no?
Possibly the best choice, and by far the best choice if Rubotio wins GOP nomination.

And then after 8 years to become the first Latino president. First Afro-American president -> First woman president -> First Latino president. GOP would be very angry.

Possibly the best choice, and by far the best choice if Rubotio wins GOP nomination.

And then after 8 years to become the first Latino president. First Afro-American president -> First woman president -> First Latino president. GOP would be very angry.

Nah Trump wins his first term... Declares himself emperor then suspends elections and rules over his empire till he dies and then the wig is placed on ivanka and she becomes Empress

Who's the guy Bernie Sanders - is he like a US version of Jeremy Corbyn? I like his message whenever I've seen him, but admittedly that is not very much at all.

Who's the guy Bernie Sanders - is he like a US version of Jeremy Corbyn? I like his message whenever I've seen him, but admittedly that is not very much at all.

Key Points:
- Free public education
- Universal healthcare
- Restrict Wall Street and break up the big banks.
- Increase federal minimum wage to $15
- Was really far behind Hilary in both Iowa and NH (40%), but lost by 0.3% in Iowa and walloped her in NH by 22%.
- Struggles with minorities (his voter base is mostly white liberals) and is expected to struggle in South Carolina and the South.

was talking to my daughter and simply asked what she thought of Bernie. Like so many young people she loves the man. She is so confident she will get to vote for him instead of that bitch Hillary...her words.

When this process all started, I shrugged my shoulders and said...ok Hillary this time. My wife was the only one who was enthused about Hillary...first woman President an all. Now she cant stand her. Its the Berne for her.

My son said...of course Bernie. hope they don't kill him..... :nervous:

just a family sampling. So far the minority voters have not got to know him.....That will change soon.

Recent Dem State Polls:

New York - Hillary +21
Michigan - Hillary +32
North Carolina - Hillary +26
Arkansas - Hillary +32
Oklahoma - Hillary + 16

Are ya feelin the Bern yet ?

Wow, either Oklahoma is getting more progressive or they just don't like women in charge. I'd expect the number to be closer to Arkansas or North Carolina.

Wow, either Oklahoma is getting more progressive or they just don't like women in charge. I'd expect the number to be closer to Arkansas or North Carolina.

Oklahoma along with Utah and Wyoming are probably the most conservative states in the union, although there are probably a good number of college kids who support the Bern there. Either that or the poll is simply an outlier.

Oklahoma along with Utah and Wyoming are probably the most conservative states in the union, although there are probably a good number of college kids who support the Bern there. Either that or the poll is simply an outlier.

I remember reading somewhere that Sanders is spending heavily in ads/organising in whiter states like Oklahoma, Minnesota etc...

There was a large influx of young professionals to OKC during the oil boom so that probably helped. Plus Tulsa has always been a bit liberal relative to its surroundings.

Recent Dem State Polls:

New York - Hillary +21
Michigan - Hillary +32
Arkansas - Hillary +32
Oklahoma - Hillary + 16

Are ya feel in the Bern yet ?

You evidently are not :)

I just watched old videos of Obama destroy Hillary not with facts which are left for people to interpret like Sanders is doing, but directly, to her face.
"While I was working on the streets watching those jobs shipped overseas you were a corporate lawyer sitting on the board of Walmart."
Sometimes I wish Sanders would attack her like that.

He flat-out called her a liar when he needed to.

I just watched old videos of Obama destroy Hillary not with facts which are left for people to interpret like Sanders is doing, but directly, to her face.
"While I was working on the streets watching those jobs shipped overseas you were a corporate lawyer sitting on the board of Walmart."
Sometimes I wish Sanders would attack her like that.

He flat-out called her a liar when he needed to.

Damn, Obama was great on the campaign trail.

Cong'l Black Caucus (CBC) has NOT endorsed in presidential. Separate CBCPAC endorsed withOUT input from CBC membership, including me.

you mean this?
Yeah, I read the tweet. Just have no idea what most of the words mean.

Yeah, I read the tweet. Just have no idea what most of the words mean.

Keith Ellison is co-chair of the Progressive Caucus. He is also a member of the Congressional Black Cacus (CBC). Ellison has endorsed Sanders.

He is saying the membership of the CBC (including himself) have not endorsed Hillary. Only the CBC Political Action Commitee.

Recent Dem State Polls:

New York - Hillary +21
Michigan - Hillary +32
Arkansas - Hillary +32
Oklahoma - Hillary + 16

Are ya feelin the Bern yet ?

yessss. I do remember Nate Silver's forecast for IA and NH.... suumat like Nate Silvers has spoken?? have been reading about these endorsements...also all the nasty attacks by people who have endorsed Hillary. even a very bad one by Lewis...questioning Sanders involvment in the Civil Rights Marches and action. He has been rebutted but not by Sanders himself. Its pretty sad Hillary using the great old man. All this will reflect bad on Her.

EDIT: Bernie predicted the kitchen sink attack....the first of those sinks just flew in....

the debate tonight should be fun.

yessss. I do remember Nate Silver's forecast for IA and NH.... suumat like Nate Silvers has spoken?? have been reading about these endorsements...also all the nasty attacks by people who have endorsed Hillary. even a very bad one by Lewis...questioning Sanders involvment in the Civil Rights Marches and action. He has been rebutted but not by Sanders himself. Its pretty sad Hillary using the great old man. All this will reflect bad on Her.

EDIT: Bernie predicted the kitchen sink attack....the first of those sinks just flew in....

the debate tonight should be fun.

In fairness Silver has an excellent record - not perfect but pretty damn close.

In fairness Silver has an excellent record - not perfect but pretty damn close.

he was almost perfect in 2008. tbh I did not follow him too close in 2012. I followed the PPP polls which helped me predict the Electrol votes perfectly. I got 2008 perfect too...except I mixed up Missouri with Indiana.

EDIT:I mean I thought I predicted Obama would win Missouri and lose Idiana. But the totals came out correct as both states have equal number of Electrol votes.

Sanders' retro-chic appeal seems to presuppose that the 60s had to have been, in fact, a comparatively good time for you and yours, in order for his message to resonate.

That being the case, has anyone suggested that the Occam's Razor explanation for Sanders not doing well amongst minorities is simply that it was not in fact a particularly good time for minorities; and/or present-day minority Americans, being more recent immigrants, were neither Americans in the 60s nor descended from same?

Sanders' retro-chic appeal seems to presuppose that the 60s had to have been, in fact, a comparatively good time for you and yours, in order for his message to resonate.

That being the case, has anyone suggested that the Occam's Razor explanation for Sanders not doing well amongst minorities is simply that it was not in fact a particularly good time for minorities; and/or present-day minority Americans, being more recent immigrants, were neither Americans in the 60s nor descended from same?

I don't think that's what he's angling for and you might get some backlash from supporters for stating it like that. That said, I think you might be right.

It's an interesting story but I don't think that's the issue.
He isn't pushing the 60s as a utopia, and his own involvement in the 60s was as a civil rights activist who was active enough to be arrested, so I don't think he sees it that way either.
The retro-cool stuff and the memes are pretty much his young supporters being aware of the irony of a 74-year old appealing best to them. I've seen him indulge in them a few times (on Colbert mostly), but that's it.

An easier explanation for his lack of popularity is name recognition, and an interesting theory I've read that blacks tend to go for the "safer" candidate to make sure Repubs don't get in. Which is why the late switch to Obama even in 08. This reminds me of the conventional wisdom says that Muslims in India tend to vote for the non-Hindutva party which they think has the best chance in their constituency.*
The fact that he was targeted by BLM doesn't help, though he refined his message pretty quickly.

*In out multiparty system, in the biggest state, there are 4 major parties. Hindu right wing (BJP), the old centrist corrupt party (Congress), the local corrupt party which provocatively favours Muslims and their own caste (SP), and the local party that started from a lower caste movement (BSP) and is now as corrupt as the others. Muslims usually vote tactically for the strongest of those latter 3.

I don't think that's what he's angling for and you might get some backlash from supporters for stating it like that. That said, I think you might be right.

No, I'm sure it's not, and he's clearly taking steps to shift away from that perception, which is good for him. Re: backlash, I hope not: I'm asking a good-faith question, like the guy personally, and deeply deeply respect the courage of his convictions ("American people are sick of your damn emails" was the finest moment I've seen from a politician in a long time).

However, I'm also a citizen of an American ally which is very concerned about the unchecked rise of China, and I fear for the consequences of having a foreign-policy amateur, whose instincts are seemingly quite isolationist, at the helm during a period of profound geopolitical uncertainty, both for America and for the world.

It's an interesting story but I don't think that's the issue.
He isn't pushing the 60s as a utopia, and his own involvement in the 60s was as a civil rights activist who was active enough to be arrested, so I don't think he sees it that way either.
The retro-cool stuff and the memes are pretty much his young supporters being aware of the irony of a 74-year old appealing best to them. I've seen him indulge in them a few times (on Colbert mostly), but that's it.

An easier explanation for his lack of popularity is name recognition, and an interesting theory I've read that blacks tend to go for the "safer" candidate to make sure Repubs don't get in. Which is why the late switch to Obama even in 08. This reminds me of the conventional wisdom says that Muslims in India tend to vote for the non-Hindutva party which they think has the best chance in their constituency.*
The fact that he was targeted by BLM doesn't help, though he refined his message pretty quickly.

*In out multiparty system, in the biggest state, there are 4 major parties. Hindu right wing (BJP), the old centrist corrupt party (Congress), the local corrupt party which provocatively favours Muslims and their own caste (SP), and the local party that started from a lower caste movement (BSP) and is now as corrupt as the others. Muslims usually vote tactically for the strongest of those latter 3.

I dunno though - Sanders has been quite extensively covered in American media, I think? He has a lane all to himself in the Democratic race - he's not like Fiorina or Gilmore in that sense. It's possible that he hasn't been perceived as a winner until recently, though.

We'll need to see with the Nevada polling and results to be certain, I guess.

No, I'm sure it's not, and he's clearly taking steps to shift away from that perception, which is good for him. Re: backlash, I hope not: I'm asking a good-faith question, like the guy personally, and deeply deeply respect the courage of his convictions ("American people are sick of your damn emails" was the finest moment I've seen from a politician in a long time).

However, I'm also a citizen of an American ally which is very concerned about the unchecked rise of China, and I fear for the consequences of having a foreign-policy amateur, whose instincts are seemingly quite isolationist, at the helm during a period of profound geopolitical uncertainty, both for America and for the world.

Got me 110% in your camp there. A lot of people think the world would be better off without US "meddling" and I think that is part Sanders' position. But I do think we could use someone with real strategic cunning right now, if not the President per se then someone who will bring in an NSA or SecState with the skills and follow their lead.

Look at Europe... they're now in the position of passengers to world events, can't influence an iota if the US isn't on their side. Wasn't it a few months ago that Hollande promised a "pitiless response"? I'm still waiting.

Incredible how eager she was to line up right next to Bernie on the point of smal donors.

Good job, Hillary, your ensemble of small donors is nothing short of incredible:

Status
Not open for further replies.