2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can she have won the debate with that ridiculous answer about her Super Pac. The coruption of the political system is the center of this debate this year.

No Red Dreams, you don't get it ...it was OBAMA'S superpac...they are just "giving her money"....lolz

Either we have a lot of Bernie fans here or am I the only one who thought Clinton performed well in the debate?

She went after Sanders on how he manages to promises on Healthcare and his promises on free college especially with state governors like Scott Walker. His answer was evasive and again reverted to his stump speech about 'right to healthcare' and 'look at other countries' and 'Wall Street'. She did well again in foreign policy (not surprising) and played up to the African American voters by closely tying herself to Obama and surprisingly managed to look endearing to women.

I thought 'You aren't there in the White house yet' was a bit of an off moment for Bernie. I didn't think of it that much, but reading tweet reactions, others thought about it too.

I thought she was leading in the state. I'm no fan of Hillary though, glad to see Sanders win here and everywhere.

Yeah, I´m a massive Bernie supporter, but I thought in general Clinton came off better, especially in the first half. Bernie has to broaden his discourse away from so much "middle class" and "1%er" and "man of the people" hoo haw, as it´s getting a bit old and repetitive. He should start attempting to adapt silky smoother Obamaesque discourse (doubt he´s capable of it though) or I´m afraid he´s going to start turning people off or boring them. Bernie was also slightly annoying with his impatient finger gesturing every time he was anxious to rebut. Hillary came off as very professional and calm, and I thought quite presidential.

I did enjoy the shots Bernie landed though, especially the Kissinger one. Absolutely disgusting Hill´s asslick of that cretin. Great one as well about her being the one who ran against Obama and the reasons Wall Street donate money and their expectations.

Bernie came off much better on foreign relations this time around so I guess that´s a plus, but I still think Hills made a better impression to the American people as presidential material. Also helped quite a bit that the crowd was in the tank for Clinton. That was definitely not a Bernie looking crowd, nor did they sound like it.

But good lord, what a difference from that reality show of Republican front runners. Entertaining and laughable as it may be, I can´t imagine a first world nation electing any of those clowns.

Yeah, I´m a massive Bernie supporter, but I thought in general Clinton came off better, especially in the first half. Bernie has to broaden his discourse away from so much "middle class" and "1%er" and "man of the people" hoo haw, as it´s getting a bit old and repetitive.

I agree, he is very repetitive and it's starting to get a bit tedious now. BUT, I think that is purposefully so. While, some/many of us maybe politically inclined or vested - the overwhelming majority are not.

So, I think the thinking is...every time you speak, you speak as if it's for the first time and to the uninitiated.

Kissinger took flak, huh? He's exactly the kind of National Security Advisor or SecState I'd like the US to have now, strategic thinking with a realpolitik base. The foreign policy of the last 25 years has been too idealistic imo, from the hawkish neocons who though that invading Iraq and installing a democracy was a push-over, to the idealists who thought that the Arab Spring was great, and Gaddafi and Mubarak had to go (I was tricked by the Arab Spring myself, thought it was a new dawn). Statements like that are why I worry about Sanders' foreign policy, if he were elected.

Kissinger took flak, huh? He's exactly the kind of National Security Advisor or SecState I'd like the US to have now, strategic thinking with a realpolitik base. The foreign policy of the last 25 years has been too idealistic imo, from the hawkish neocons who though that invading Iraq and installing a democracy was a push-over, to the idealists who thought that the Arab Spring was great, and Gaddafi and Mubarak had to go (I was tricked by the Arab Spring myself, thought it was a new dawn). Statements like that are why I worry about Sanders' foreign policy, if he were elected.

As the child of Bangladeshi immigrants who fled a genocide, I just want to say - I wouldn't piss on the motherfcuker if someone set him on fire.

Yeah, we need some sneaky SecState going behind congress´back to carpet bomb neutral countries in our wars of aggression against third world countries half way around the world leading to millions of deaths. Would you like some more operation condors here in South America again. Good times!

gMY7Kd7.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:
Can't help but look at the debate as a draw. People who liked either candidate didn't receive any new information to convince them to switch sides. Bernie hammered his usual class warfare talking points and Hillary repeated hers as well (Before there was Obamacare, there was Hillarycare etc). There were a couple of Clintonesque low blows that made her look at bit petty, but overall it was a draw.

Can't help but look at the debate as a draw. People who liked either candidate didn't receive any new information to convince them to switch sides. Bernie hammered his usual class warfare talking points and Hillary repeated hers as well (Before there was Obamacare, there was Hillarycare etc). There were a couple of Clintonesque low blows that made her look at bit petty, but overall it was a draw.

can you tell if there is anything to all these investigations coming out now? I want Bernie to be the nominee. But it would be awful for Hillary to become the nominee with all this garbage hanging over her. She wont win the general.

The latest is a subpoena from the State Department to the Clinton Foundation.

can you tell if there is anything to all these investigations coming out now? I want Bernie to be the nominee. But it would be awful for Hillary to become the nominee with all this garbage hanging over her. She wont win the general.

The latest is a subpoena from the State Department to the Clinton Foundation.

:lol: I think you're summing up Trump's talking points if he faces her in the Gen.

I can't see anything happening on the investigation front. Unless there is something we don't know, the email and Benghazi issues won't bring her down.

Keith Ellison is co-chair of the Progressive Caucus. He is also a member of the Congressional Black Cacus (CBC). Ellison has endorsed Sanders.

He is saying the membership of the CBC (including himself) have not endorsed Hillary. Only the CBC Political Action Commitee.
Appreciate the effort mate, but that didn't help much. :D

My observations on Sanders, and there may not be many here who are interested, since I am likely twice as old everyone and probably the only social conservative here, but I think Sanders has to toughen up. I get he is a nice guy and he wants to run on the issues, and that he wants to avoid the mud slinging and negativity, but he has to respond to Clinton's attacks on him.

The longer the campaign goes on and the closer it gets the more negative Hilary is going to become. In this latest debate Clinton claimed Sanders policies would increase the size of the Federal Government by 40%, Bernie didn't even comment on her statement. He has to say something that will alleviate the fears people will have over the increase in their taxes to cover those costs. Or it will hurt at the polls, voters maybe in agreement with the idea, but if they think it is going to hurt him in the pocketbook, they won't vote him. There needs to be some cost analysis of his plans.

Clintin also hammered Sanders on the Obama issue. She painted his criticism of Obama as on par with the Rebulicans criticism. While he made a comment about her being the one who ran against him, he needs to point out times when she differed with Obama, and there are many. The TPP, the no fly zone and the keystone pipeline, though I think she has changed her mind on that one. Sanders can't continue to allow her to claim the Obama legacy as her own and to accuse him of undoing that legacy if he wins the nomination.

Clinton's campaign so far has two themes, One she is trying to outmaneuver Bernie on the left by appearing to be more of a progressive than he is and two, that she is in complete agreement with everything Obama stands for and that she is the only one that can protect and continue Obama's legacy. To me both themes are phoney and she is lying through her teeth.

If Sanders doesn't start to respond to Clinton's attacks on him, she is going to win the nomination not him.

Ps. As a social conservative, you can imagine what I think of Obama and his legacy, but it is better not to go there.

My connection kept going but I feel he could have done better at many points. He has published the costing of his healthcare plan, and spoken about it. He could have done that here too without needing to go back to his core speech.

I'm just not sure how much the debate affects votes, and his numbers in the state are evidently better than I thought.

I may also be wrong in this case, but I didn't really understand Sanders with his 'This is a low blow' on Hillary attacking him on Obama's legacy. He pretty much nailed her on Kissinger and accused her of being a wall street crony, which the Clinton campaign can claim as 'low blow'.

Forget the low blows Bernie, give it to her and paint her as a wall street crony. Go negative on her, because that's the reason you are running for. Don't run as if you are above negative campaigning and don't shrink when there's something returned. Right now, he comes across as a bit presumptuous and touchy by implying that Hillary is a crony but not calling her outright and then crying about low blows when something negative comes his way.

My observations on Sanders, and there may not be many here who are interested, since I am likely twice as old everyone and probably the only social conservative here, but I think Sanders has to toughen up. I get he is a nice guy and he wants to run on the issues, and that he wants to avoid the mud slinging and negativity, but he has to respond to Clinton's attacks on him.

The longer the campaign goes on and the closer it gets the more negative Hilary is going to become. In this latest debate Clinton claimed Sanders policies would increase the size of the Federal Government by 40%, Bernie didn't even comment on her statement. He has to say something that will alleviate the fears people will have over the increase in their taxes to cover those costs. Or it will hurt at the polls, voters maybe in agreement with the idea, but if they think it is going to hurt him in the pocketbook, they won't vote him. There needs to be some cost analysis of his plans.

Clintin also hammered Sanders on the Obama issue. She painted his criticism of Obama as on par with the Rebulicans criticism. While he made a comment about her being the one who ran against him, he needs to point out times when she differed with Obama, and there are many. The TPP, the no fly zone and the keystone pipeline, though I think she has changed her mind on that one. Sanders can't continue to allow her to claim the Obama legacy as her own and to accuse him of undoing that legacy if he wins the nomination.

Clinton's campaign so far has two themes, One she is trying to outmaneuver Bernie on the left by appearing to be more of a progressive than he is and two, that she is in complete agreement with everything Obama stands for and that she is the only one that can protect and continue Obama's legacy. To me both themes are phoney and she is lying through her teeth.

If Sanders doesn't start to respond to Clinton's attacks on him, she is going to win the nomination not him.

Ps. As a social conservative, you can imagine what I think of Obama and his legacy, but it is better not to go there.

I think Canuck is on the spot here. If you being popular is because you are different, then drive home that point. Forget about the 'Twenty Seven Dollars' and 'Wall Street'. Go full length.

Good post. Part of Sanders' appeal however is his not going negative. If he went completely negative like for example, a random Republican might, then he will risk alienating his own supporters and undercutting the positivity of the message that got him to where he is. In the end, he may not win, but he will almost certainly drag her to the left in order to appeal to his supporters in the Gen election.

Yes, exactly. And he could still paint it as disagreement on issues. An attack on TPP would be perfect - explain which issues he opposed Obama on, show the she is doing the same now, and also paint her as a flip-flopper.
Obama was perfect on the campaign trail because he didn't shy away from direct attacks.

I may also be wrong in this case, but I didn't really understand Sanders with his 'This is a low blow' on Hillary attacking him on Obama's legacy.

I think he was referring to the fact that he has pretty faithfully voted for Obama on most issues, and that she was quoting him (in the book blurb) out of context.
While the Hillary-Kissinger love-in wasn't a misrepresentation, she didn't move away from it at all.

Better news:

http://morningconsult.com/2016/02/donald-trump-bernie-sanders-national-polling/

And this still holds:
Sanders is the only candidate in the field, in either party, who is seen favorably by a majority of voters.

Good post!

May I ask, who are you planning to vote for, both in the primaries and in the general? I'd quite like to hear the social conservative take on truly wacky race thus far. :)

It's embarrassing the caliber of candidates we have running for President this year. It's a joke really. Bunch of old farts like Bernie, Trump, and Hillary or wacky nut jobs like Cruz and Rubio. My opinion on politicians is low enough as is, but this seems to be an especially down election. No wonder many of you across the pond are enjoying the spectacle.

Good post!

May I ask, who are you planning to vote for, both in the primaries and in the general? I'd quite like to hear the social conservative take on truly wacky race thus far. :)

I live in Canada, so don't have a vote. I would find it difficult to determine who to vote for in the US, while a social conservative, I am not a religious one and they seem to go hand and in the US. To be honest, I most likely would not pay to much interest to the primaries and just vote the Rebulican ticket in November. You can say what you want about Trump and Sanders, but they have certainly generated a lot of interest in the primaries this year.

I liked what I heard from Christie til he went all mental on Rubio and Kasich has done a good job in Ohio, butyou can't forget the auto bailout has helped Ohio's economy. Kasich would make a good second spot on the ticket, he's moderate for a Rebulican and appeals to independants and strategically Ohio will be important in November. However, I could just end up voting for my fellow Canadian.

I live in Canada, so don't have a vote. I would find it difficult to determine who to vote for in the US, while a social conservative, I am not a religious one and they seem to go hand and in the US. To be honest, I most likely would not pay to much interest to the primaries and just vote the Rebulican ticket in November. You can say what you want about Trump and Sanders, but they have certainly generated a lot of interest in the primaries this year.

I liked what I heard from Christie til he went all mental on Rubio and Kasich has done a good job in Ohio, butyou can't forget the auto bailout has helped Ohio's economy. Kasich would make a good second spot on the ticket, he's moderate for a Rebulican and appeals to independants and strategically Ohio will be important in November. However, I could just end up voting for my fellow Canadian.

Coincidentally, so did I, actually.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! Even though I missed your location the first time :lol:

At a guess, probably Rob Ford.

Funny. I don't live in Toronto either ( about 45 miles away), but you can only vote for who is on the ballot, that is why I have always wanted to see a none of the above on the ballot. The Toronto Mayor' race came down to Ford or Smitherman and who do you think a social conservative would vote for.

Funny. I don't live in Toronto either ( about 45 miles away), but you can only vote for who is on the ballot, that is why I have always wanted to see a none of the above on the ballot. The Toronto Mayor' race came down to Ford or Smitherman and who do you think a social conservative would vote for.

My apologies, it was more a joke about your general location (Canada) with regards to @naturalized's asking who you were voting for. It certainly wasn't meant as a snide remarak against you or your actual voting choice or preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.