2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably shouldn't even be posting it but I figure with the warning it's OK. Amazing that somebody has managed to do that.

Are the two main Republican candidates really Trump and Cruz? fecking hell.

I think Trump is just trying to squeak out a win in Iowa at all costs, which will pretty much outflank Cruz's momentum since Trump is likely to take NH and SC, which if he has all three will make him unstoppable imo.

Just saw this on the Heidi Cruz wikipedia page! It's a nasty, gory pic so beware.

EDIT....feck it, not really suitable. I've kept the screen grab so can pm if you're really interested...or just go to the wiki!

It was actually on his wife's page. I was looking up her Goldman Sachs info and that jumped out at me.

I just looked at the Wikipedia page and I don't see anything weird there.

Looks like Rubio will finish a strong 3rd in Iowa. Reckon he could still be the nominee once all the others drop out.

go on beg...Fox dogs.....:lol:

Yeah, that was from last night. A few softballs from Bill-O and some pandering because you can tell he was trying his best to placate Trump. Trump looks like he will explode anytime he gets questioned about anything that makes him out to be anything other than a "great guy, go on just ask anyone they will tell you what a great guy I am"

Looks like Rubio will finish a strong 3rd in Iowa. Reckon he could still be the nominee once all the others drop out.
I'd be more worried about NH if I was him, that's where the moderate frontrunner usually comes to the fore and he's been behind Kasich there in quite a few recent polls, and he's nowhere nationally. He could go up a bit after getting third in Iowa, but not by much.

I'd be more worried about NH if I was him, that's where the moderate frontrunner usually comes to the fore and he's been behind Kasich there in quite a few recent polls, and he's nowhere nationally. He could go up a bit after getting third in Iowa, but not by much.

It's a weird position, usually by this point the establishment has chosen it's candidate already, or at worst there are two guys with one having the edge. Now, Kasich is polling better in recent weeks in NH and Bush+ Christie still have their share of support. If we combine the 4 of them together then it would actually be a normal NH primary.

Also, he's effectively lost out on the evangelical vote since his public stance is staunch Catholic, so he's no cross appeal within his party at the moment.

It's a weird position, usually by this point the establishment has chosen it's candidate already, or at worst there are two guys with one having the edge. Now, Kasich is polling better in recent weeks in NH and Bush+ Christie still have their share of support. If we combine the 4 of them together then it would actually be a normal NH primary.

Also, he's effectively lost out on the evangelical vote since his public stance is staunch Catholic, so he's no cross appeal within his party at the moment.
Plus, I don't think the moderates actually think of him as that moderate. No-one seems exceptionally keen to fall in their sword in order for him to win. I guess we're just waiting on the result from the caucus now, the big unknown is whether the people say they'll vote for Trump (and Sanders with the Dems) are actually going to go out and caucus for him.

I once again find myself agreeing with Jonathan Chait - http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/01/what-sanders-doesnt-understand-about-politics.html

He's getting a robust response below the line though.

It's a good article (most but not all* of it), but it's a hopeless situation and Bernie or Hillary should make no difference then.

*the argument against Bernie saying that economic disenchantment has led to Trump supporters that Chait makes is really shallow. It's well known that in times of economic stress people gravitate to far-right causes. It's also obvious that minorities suffering the same (worse) stress will not go to these causes. But that doesn't mean the disaffection Trump is using doesn't have a strong economic component.

I once again find myself agreeing with Jonathan Chait - http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/01/what-sanders-doesnt-understand-about-politics.html

He's getting a robust response below the line though.

The comments on that piece, along with comments on other boards I've read, highlight a big issue: there's a faction of Sanders's support that won't vote Dem if Hillary becomes the nominee. If the nomination race doesn't end soon, the divisiveness will grow and the Dems may well lose. And this feel very different from 08, because while Obama's campaign generated unprecedented enthusiasm, there was no fear of voters become alienated by the primary process. The Sanders campaign and its advocates have been very aggressive in playing the anti establishment card, and it might come back to bite them all in the arse.

read that article. lazy, shallow journalism.

Yes. there is a portion of Sanders support that may stay home if Hillary wins, especially with underhand tactics. That is a danger.

Looks like she may squeek through in IA and Bernie will win NH.

Lazy and shallow are things you cannot ascribe to Jon Chait's journalism.
The comments on that piece, along with comments on other boards I've read, highlight a big issue: there's a faction of Sanders's support that won't vote Dem if Hillary becomes the nominee. If the nomination race doesn't end soon, the divisiveness will grow and the Dems may well lose. And this feel very different from 08, because while Obama's campaign generated unprecedented enthusiasm, there was no fear of voters become alienated by the primary process. The Sanders campaign and its advocates have been very aggressive in playing the anti establishment card, and it might come back to bite them all in the arse.
I don't think it would come to that, it was similar for the GOP in the last election where you thought that the vitriol they were aiming at Romney could never be walked back, but come the end they were cheering as vigourously as anyone for him. A common enemy heals wounds, or at least patches them up.

I don't think it would come to that, it was similar for the GOP in the last election where you thought that the vitriol they were aiming at Romney could never be walked back, but come the end they were cheering as vigourously as anyone for him. A common enemy heals wounds, or at least patches them up.

But a good part of Sanders' support comes from independents and those who either gave up membership or (more often) never had party membership. They are not habitual Dem voters and it would make no sense for them to back Hillary. Remember, she consistently outperforms him in polls of Democrats alone.

But a good part of Sanders' support comes from independents and those who either gave up membership or (more often) never had party membership. They are not habitual Dem voters and it would make no sense for them to back Hillary. Remember, she consistently outperforms him in polls of Democrats alone.

A fair few of the responses I've read so far on these sites suggest that at least some of them are reliable voters who are getting fired up by Bernie, and if he doesn't get the nomination they may consider not voting as a protest. Granted, the number might not be significant but it can have an impact on swing states. Our very own @Red Dreams can be one such, although he most likely will still go and vote.

A fair few of the responses I've read so far on these sites suggest that at least some of them are reliable voters who are getting fired up by Bernie, and if he doesn't get the nomination they may consider not voting as a protest. Granted, the number might not be significant but it can have an impact on swing states. Our very own @Red Dreams can be one such, although he most likely will still go and vote.
I just don't see that coming to fruition, good ol' FPTP has a habit of shaking people out of their principled abstentions. When the choice is a dramatic as Hillary, first female president and Trump, neo-nationalist, you'd have to be really feeling the Bern to let Trump in.

He's definitely rising. His numbers are in the high teens in Iowa. A strong showing there and it could give him momentum in NH to be the establishment choice.

The one wildcard is that as of now Trump hasn't really gone after Rubio. He's destroyed the reputations of Bush and Paul and it seems like his attacks on Cruz have worked also. Once it becomes obvious that Rubio is a threat I'd expect Trump to give him a pasting.

it would be highly irresponsible not to vote. Many died so we have the right to vote.

Last edited:
Donald Trump is doing his Iowa veteran's fundraising event now. He's just announced he has raised over $5m dollars and has bragged he has donated $1m of his own money.

Huckerbee is now speaking at Trump's fundraising event and is talking about how America's kids have the vets to thank for their desks. Interesting.

Donald Trump is doing his Iowa veteran's fundraising event now. He's just announced he has raised over $5m dollars and has bragged he has donated $1m of his own money.

Cheap publicity, and saves him having to answer any tough questions at the debate. Ted Cruz isn't doing himself any favours so far in the debate and all in all, it's pretty dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.