Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this situation embarrassing for United and Van Gaal. We bought the most expensive player in premier league history and just after one season of mix performances we decided that we might want to sell him. It was not like he was in the bottom half of our worst player last season, in fact he was arguable one of our top three performers. Di Maria has already showed the fans the quality he is capable of and I believe if Van Gaal utilizes him better than he did towards the end of season, he will be the type of player that can help us challenge for the title.

Nevertheless, if we do sell him we will lose a quality player. However, like I said earlier, he might be quality but if he can not adopt Van Gaal philosophy then it is better we let him go. It is a case of building a team around Di Maria play style or Van Gaal philosophy and it appears that we are going for the latter.

What's embarrasing about this? We can recoup a record fee after the terrible season he had, if anything from business perspective it'd represent a good deal for United. Imagine buying a luxury car, say BMW, for £50k then it turns out that it has a Yugo quality engine, Dacia quality interior and at the moment it doesn't even run. Then someone comes up and offers you £50k back.

Using him on the wing is a waste of time. For the millionth time I will say this - at his best he's a £25m - £30m winger and a £50m - £60m midfielder. If you intend to use him on the wing don't fecking pay the midfielder price.

With additions we've made this summer, we could easily play him in the LCM position, with two of Schneiderlin, Bastian or Carrick filling the remaining two midfield spots. Depay - Rooney - Mata up top. Or we could play Herrera as #10 and Rooney - Depay up top.

Lets be honest here. He had one outstanding season and that was in midfield for Madrid although he's nominally a winger.

Other than that he was up and down with his form.

Around 2010-11 when Nani was at his best he was a much better winger than Di Maria. Actually watching Di Maria play for Real Madrid before 2013-14 I'd always found him somewhat frustrating to watch. He'd make silly runs, he'd make wrong decisions all the time, he'd dive, his delivery would be off for most of the time - the quality was not there for a lot of time. Then I remember watching him in 2013-14, particularly in that Barcelona game in which he tore them apart despite Real Madrid's loss and he was magnificent.

With additions we've made this summer, we could easily play him in the LCM position, with two of Schneiderlin, Bastian or Carrick filling the remaining two midfield spots. Depay - Rooney - Mata up top. Or we could play Herrera as #10 and Rooney - Depay up top.

No, we cannot play him in LCM at all because that'd mean dropping both Herrera and Mata permanently and they both deserve to play much, much more than Di Maria. I don't think we can play Di Maria with either of these two and playing Mata on the wing to accomodate Di Maria in midfield doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Bottom line is he's not a possession player, he won't fit van Gaal's idea of midfield, ever.

No, we cannot play him in LCM at all because that'd mean dropping both Herrera and Mata permanently and they both deserve to play much, much more than Di Maria.

di Maria has a higher potential than Mata and Herrera when playing in the position he's performed at his best. Although, I wouldn't be averse to seeing him as a wide forward on either side.

----------------DDG-----------------
---------------Back 4----------------
------------Carrick---------------------
-----Schneiderlin--ADM--------------
-------------Herrera----------------------
-------Rooney-----Depay--------------------

?

I'm guessing we will find out by the 25th, if Di Maria joins the tour, I would be suprised if we sold him. If hes not on the tour however, then well....

I'm still cautiously optimistic that the talk is all coming from Paris press playing at the same game AS and Marca do for Madrid.

If Di Maria is ready to fight for a place then he won't be going anywhere, and the few times he's spoken publicly it's been to say just that (yes Ronaldo, but you can't just say everyone is always lying because others have before).

If it turns out the stories are accurate and he does want out then feck him, but I'll wait to see how it plays out.

Around 2010-11 when Nani was at his best he was a much better winger than Di Maria. Actually watching Di Maria play for Real Madrid before 2013-14 I'd always found him somewhat frustrating to watch. He'd make silly runs, he'd make wrong decisions all the time, he'd dive, his delivery would be off for most of the time - the quality was not there for a lot of time. Then I remember watching him in 2013-14, particularly in that Barcelona game in which he tore them apart despite Real Madrid's loss and he was magnificent.
And that's because selling him wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. No place for him in midfield and he's been frustrating on the wing. If he could turn around his wing play than maybe.

If we sell ADM for £50 m then add the money we got for RvP, & Nani (around £10 m,) + maybe £6 million we will get for Rafael we will have taken in around £66 million in sales, & taken around £850-£900 k off the wage bill per week (inc Falcao).

If we land Pedro for £20 m + the £75 m we have spent on Depay, Schneiderlin, Darmian, and Schweinstegier our net spend would be 'only' £29 million, & we will have saved £250-300 k on wages.

This is simply brilliant business when you look at home improved our starting 11 and squad will be, even if we didn't buy another player after Pedro.

He won't be the ADM of Madrid at PSG, and he won't shine, mark my words

Laurent Blanc is a mini LVG, he likes possession and I'm sure that his arrival will be an absolute tactical issue at PSG

Last year, at the beginning of the season, PSG played in 4-3-3 with Cavani left, Ibra center, and Lucas/Lavezzi/Pastore right. They had big big issue because they were not balanced. Ibra plays like a false 9 and plays 40 meters from the front line, Cavani hates the winger role, Lucas is a joke of winger and Pastore not a winger...

Toward the end of the season, Blanc played in a diamond 4-4-2 with Pastore behind Ibra and Lavezzi and PSG thrived like this...

Where Di Maria will play at PSG ? 4-3-3 and having the issue with Ibra and Cavani again, and with Pastore, their best player on the bench?, or in the diamond instead of Matuidi, the only French and symbol of PSG on the bench ?

Please Al Khelaifi, give us 70M back for him and bye bye Angel (I admit that I want him to stay, but it looks unlikely)

Very true. He'll face teams who park the bus on more regular basis than in England too.

What's embarrasing about this? We can recoup a record fee after the terrible season he had, if anything from business perspective it'd represent a good deal for United. Imagine buying a luxury car, say BMW, for £50k then it turns out that it has a Yugo quality engine, Dacia quality interior and at the moment it doesn't even run. Then someone comes up and offers you £50k back.

Saying he had a terrible season is an overstatement. He was our best player in the first half of the season and then when it appears that he was told to change his play style, he lost confidence and he was not the same player towards the end of the season. I feel his performance towards the end of the season was down to Van Gaal managerial acumen of him, rather than the player's ability. As such, I would not say he had a terrible season, rather than a mix one with poor managerial treatment. And I m sure my opinion will be validated if Di Maria talks about why his form dipped towards the end of season ala Van Persie who already stated that "Van Gaal did not allow him back into the team and how the atmosphere change with him and the coaches."

What is so embarrassing is what I stated before. Moreover, it shows how inept we are in the market when we go for a player for a record fee, but then it turns out he is not something we wanted. That is embarrassing as we were raving about this signing and then after a season of mix performance, we might decide that it is best to just throw our new toy out ala Real Madrid. I do not understand your analogy about the BMW. We are most likely selling him at a loss or did I miss something towards our supposed selling fee. I find it hard to believe we will get the £60m plus we paid for him from PsG unless we are adamant of keeping Di Maria.

Last edited:
Well he either forced a move or was forced out of two of the biggest clubs in the world only to find himself into a club whose owners think they are playing football manager. Kind of speaks volumes of the player's character doesn't it?

In Real Madrid's case it doesn't, as they constantly push world class players out of the door who then end up shining elsewhere.

----------------DDG-----------------
---------------Back 4----------------
------------Carrick---------------------
-----Schneiderlin--ADM--------------
-------------Herrera----------------------
-------Rooney-----Depay--------------------

?
No width

As long as we recoup most of our £59m investment, he's welcome to leave, especially if he's not 100% committed. (Though in his words, he seems to be focussed).

I'd love it if we threw that money at Reus, even Griezzman.

Saying he had a terrible season is an overstatement. He was our best player in the first half of the season and then when it appears that he was told to change his play style, he lost confidence and he was not the same player towards the end of the season. I feel his performance towards the end of the season was down to Van Gaal managerial acumen of him, rather than the player's ability. As such, I would not say he had a terrible season, rather than a mix one with poor managerial treatment. And I m sure my opinion will be validated if Di Maria talks about why his form dipped towards the end of season ala Van Persie who already stated that "Van Gaal did not allow him back into the team and how the atmosphere change with him and the coaches."

What is so embarrassing is what I stated before. Moreover, it shows how inept we are in the market when we go for a player for a record fee, but then it turns out he is not something we wanted. That is embarrassing as we were raving about this signing and then after a season of mix performance, we might decide that it is best to just throw our new toy out ala Real Madrid. I do not understand your analogy about the BMW. We are most likely selling him at a loss or did I miss something towards our supposed selling fee. I find it hard to believe we will get the £60m plus we paid for him from PsG unless we are adamant of keeping Di Maria.
Its always nice to have a excuse. In ADM case its cause LVG wanted him to change his playing style. Changing a playing style doesnt mean you pop up shots from every angle possible or missplace passes or you're generally in a bad form.
Herrera was asked to change his style and it worked out.

ALso he wasnt our best player in the 1st part of the season. He had about 4, 5 good games. Then his form dipped.

Its always nice to have a excuse. In ADM case its cause LVG wanted him to change his playing style. Changing a playing style doesnt mean you pop up shots from every angle possible or missplace passes or you're generally in a bad form.
Herrera was asked to change his style and it worked out.

ALso he wasnt our best player in the 1st part of the season. He had about 4, 5 good games. Then his form dipped.

That is more to do with loss of confidence after being told to adopt a new approach, rather than just changing his playing style. Confidence plays a huge factor and if not managed properly, it can have a detrimental effect on a players game. Many players have suffered the effect of having their confidence shot on by Van Gaal and unfortunately Di Maria does not have the mental fortitude to withstand that, as such common sense will tell you that he needs to be catered to more differently than a young or a fellaini who is used to verbal abuse and will react more differently than other players.

He was one of our best player and who scored website even tabulated a statistical analysis that backed up my opinion. Herrera and Blind were the other players mentioned. The latter is currently struggling to get into our midfield and is also being critisized by our fans because of his dip in form.

Last edited:
That is more to do with loss of confidence after being told to adopt a new approach, rather than just changing his playing style. Confidence plays a huge factor and if not manager properly, it can have a detrimental effect on a players game. Many players have suffered the effect of having their confidence shot on by Van Gaal and unfortunately Di Maria does not have the mental fortitude to withstand that, as such common sense will tell you that he needs to be catered to more differently than a young or a fellaini who is used to verbal abuse and will react more differently than other players.
If his confidence was shot cause LVG instructed him to change his style then he's weak mentally.

And I dont get that last part. LVG shouted and abused ADM verbally so that's why he was so low on confidence?

We dont know what went on but it's too easy to blame ADM's poor form on all LVG and his managerial skills..

If his confidence was shot cause LVG instructed him to change his style then he's weak mentally.

And I dont get that last part. LVG shouted and abused ADM verbally so that's why he was so low on confidence?

We dont know what went on but it's too easy to blame ADM's poor form on all LVG and his managerial skills..
It might be too easy, but it is most likely fact and I m sure Van Gaal played a role in his dip in form. You can not have such a mix season unless something affected his mentality to perform as he did at the beginning of the season. That something was from our managerial department and if you noticed we changed from a direct attacking approach in the beginning of the season, to a more conservative approach towards the end.

It will be a real shame if his time here is up already, will look bad on us for breaking the transfer record and then agreeing to sell on for less at the first opportunity because the player is unsettled. Saying that though it all comes down to Di Maria and will look worse on him, if he can't man up and show us what he's capable of then it's best for him to go but it will be his choice I think. Would be gutted if he left though cos we all know he will probably be an important player for us this season if he stays.

All the reports must have something behind them but at the end of the day, no one at United is forcing him out of the door so early in to his time with us. He should accept he wasn't good enough last season and work towards justifying his wages and taking some pride in the number 7 shirt rather than running away. Ultimately it would be a step down for him to go to PSG and play in the French league but would only go to show that he was on his way there this time last year before they got stuck with financial fair play regulations. What a joke that turned out to be, well done UEFA.

It might be too easy, but it is most likely fact and I m sure Van Gaal played a role in his dip in form. You can not have such a mix season unless something affected his mentality to perform as he did at the beginning of the season. That something was from our managerial department and if you noticed we changed from a direct attacking approach in the beginning of the season, to a more conservative approach towards the end.
How can you be sure of that?
It could be he doesnt like Manchester weather, Manchester food, it might be the burglary. Matter of fact is all of his season were mixed,only one which wasnt mix was his last season in Madrid.

How can you be sure of that?
It could be he doesnt like Manchester weather, Manchester food, it might be the burglary. Matter of fact is all of his season were mixed,only one which wasnt mix was his last season in Madrid.
Because those element did not effect his performance in the beginning and watching him in copa America shows that it is more about managerial acumen. and at Madrid, his performances never dipped as badly as it did for United last season. He went from one of the best player in the league, to a Nani-esque footballer.

Because those element did not effect his performance in the beginning and watching him in copa America shows that it is more about managerial acumen.
Well in the beginning the weather was fine in Manchester. ;)
You're just guessing as am I.
As I heard he wasnt anything special in Copa to claim it's all LVG's fault. Maybe a part of it is LVG's fault but as I said missplaced passes and taking shots from wherever - Dont think LVG instructed him to do that.

Also interesting thing is I see posts about being embarrasing us selling Di Maria and us being inept in the transfer market cause of it but nobody mentions Chelsea getting rid of Cuardado, Felipe and Salah after they played very little in Chelsea shirt. I guess Chelsea is mentioned only when praised how quickly they sort their deals and how good they are in everything.

Well in the beginning the weather was fine in Manchester. ;)
You're just guessing as am I.
As I heard he wasnt anything special in Copa to claim it's all LVG's fault. Maybe a part of it is LVG's fault but as I said missplaced passes and taking shots from wherever - Dont think LVG instructed him to do that.

He should have won the golden ball from what I saw. I watched all of Argentina match and he was very good for them. And I do not believe my opinion is that much of a guesswork as I used logical thinking, statistical analysis and observation of his performances throughout the 2014/2015 campaign to form a conclusion. Those misplaced passes and shot were about confidence which I already explained before.

He should have won the golden ball from what I saw. I watched all of Argentina match and he was very good for them. And I do not believe my opinion is that much of a guesswork as I use logical thinking and observation of his performances throughout the 2014/2015 campaign to form a conclusion. Those misplaced passes and shot were about confidence which I already explained before.

As I said if his confidence is shot cause he needs to change his style than he's mentally weak.
And you are guessing despite you think you're not.
But lets agree to disagree.

As I said if his confidence is shot cause he needs to change his style than he's mentally weak.
And you are guessing despite you think you're not.
But lets agree to disagree.
That is what I stated aswell, that Di Maria does not have the mental fortitude of some other players, so it is up to the manager to be knowledgable about his players. Rather than isolate some and bunch all of them in the same category.

Di Maria showing laziness, no energy whatsoever to retrieve the ball after losing it, diving around has got nothing to do with LVG. I'm not a big fan of LVG but there are things he cannot be criticized of and Di Maria has been bad, it's mostly his fault.

Di Maria showing laziness, no energy whatsoever to retrieve the ball after losing it, diving around has got nothing to do with LVG. I'm not a big fan of LVG but there are things he cannot be criticized of and Di Maria has been bad, it's mostly his fault.

I do not believe most fans understand the effect confidence has on players. If you can remember, Rooney did the same thing under Ferguson because at that time his future at United was questionable. It is about the relationship a player has with the manager and if it becomes affected some players do not perform to the best of their ability. The mental part of football is a huge factor that rarely gets discussed when talking about a player's ability.

In all honesty Di Maria would have preferred a move to PSG. And would probably be their marquee signing if not for the financial ban dealt out to them.

I do not believe most fans understand the effect confidence has on players. If you can remember, Rooney did the same thing under Ferguson because at that time his future at United was questionable. It is about the relationship a player has with the manager and if it becomes affected some players do not perform to the best of their ability.

I never said confidence has no effect on a player's performances, just that a player who is as experienced as him, should have worked hard and improved. It's not like he was asked to play in a role completely new, he is a CM and he is a winger after all. Di Maria showed his mental strength in the few months he's been with us, compare his attitude with Sanchez. He could have a shit match, he could miss everything but he always gives 100% and helps his team.
It doesn't help us that we weren't Di Maria's real target last summer, he just wanted to go to Paris.

Decided not to make a thread on this, but I'll ask here..

If di Maria heads off to semi-retirement in Paris, who do you think will don our famous #7 next season?

I never said confidence has no effect on a player's performances, just that a player who is as experienced as him, should have worked hard and improved. It's not like he was asked to play in a role completely new, he is a CM and he is a winger after all. Di Maria showed his mental strength in the few months he's been with us, compare his attitude with Sanchez. He could have a shit match, he could miss everything but he always gives 100% and helps his team.
It doesn't help us that we weren't Di Maria's real target last summer, he just wanted to go to Paris.

It is hard to work hard when the manager is telling you to do one thing, while the player believes he is more suited to another. Experienced or not, the relationship between the manager and the players is important. Sanchez never had to change his approach under Wenger and they have a good relationship, so I do not understand the comparison.

Lets be honest here. He had one outstanding season and that was in midfield for Madrid although he's nominally a winger.

Other than that he was up and down with his form.

This. One very good season that commanded that ridiculous over indulgent fee (not his fault I know but sheesh....and as for Sterling's fee...that is even more crazy).Di Maria is overrated in my opinion and if he wants to climb down the ladder, going from Real to United to PSG then good luck to him. He gets injured easily in the rough and tumble of the Premier League, showed flashes of his talent last season, but hardly set the bloody world alight and just felt like a player so so out of place at United....

It is hard to work hard when the manager is telling you to do one thing, while the player believes he is more suited to another. Experienced or not, the relationship between the manager and the players is important. Sanchez never had to change his approach under Wenger and they have a good relationship, so I do not understand the comparison. If Sanchez was here and Van Gaal told him to be more conservative in a possession based philosophy, he will be a much different player. I would not be surprised that in an alternative reality, that Sanchez played at United, we would be in the same scenario. However, the possibility might be different because Sanchez may be mentally stronger than Di Maria and as such adopt Van Gaal philosophy.

It's not a direct comparison between performances, but more about attitude. Di Maria has showed he is some sort scared pussy whereas Sanchez fought to adapt but let's just forget Sanchez. How about Ashley Young ? A player who was so bad everyone would have been happy with his departure a year ago, he was asked to play in positions not comfortable to him (LB, LWB) and in the end he achieved something big (being a regular starter for the LW position).

If Young can work hard, adapt, build his confidence back up and accept his manager's demands then why can't Di Maria, who is much more talented, can't do half of that ? I can understand wanting to play in your position to get the best out of you but if you're not gonna be given that, at least do your best in a position not completely strange to you.

If we were to witness more effort and more commitment at least, despite poorer performances in comparison to CM, I don't think many of us would be disappointed.

It's not a direct comparison between performances, but more about attitude. Di Maria has showed he is some sort scared pussy whereas Sanchez fought to adapt but let's just forget Sanchez. How about Ashley Young ? A player who was so bad everyone would have been happy with his departure a year ago, he was asked to play in positions not comfortable to him (LB, LWB) and in the end he achieved something big (being a regular starter for the LW position).

If Young can work hard, adapt, build his confidence back up and accept his manager's demands then why can't Di Maria, who is much more talented, can't do half of that ? I can understand wanting to play in your position to get the best out of you but if you're not gonna be given that, at least do your best in a position not completely strange to you.

If we were to witness more effort and more commitment at least, despite poorer performances in comparison to CM, I don't think many of us would be disappointed.

Arsenal style is similar to Barcelona style, their was not much to adapt beside the culture of England/English football. Di Maria has different mental fortitude and his relationship with his manager affected his attitude on the pitch. Some players take criticism better than other.

Arsenal style is similar to Barcelona style, their was not much to adapt beside the culture of England/English football. Di Maria has different mental fortitude and his relationship with his manager affected his attitude on the pitch. Some players take criticism better than other.

Yes, that's why I said he's weak mentally and it doesn't help that he didn't really wanna sign for Man Utd in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.