Willy Kambwala | 2024/25 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess we will be targeting 3 CBs after all. Lindelof likely to leave. That will leave us with Maguire, Evans and Martinez.
All but confirms we’re looking at two centre backs, unless we sign a left back and consider using Shaw as a centre back moving forwards, which I’d be in favour of.

All but confirms we’re looking at two centre backs, unless we sign a left back and consider using Shaw as a centre back moving forwards, which I’d be in favour of.

Shaw is way too good to be a centre back. Have you seen his inverted runs, passing and crossing? Let's not waste the best left back in the world at CB.

Shaw is way too good to be a centre back. Have you seen his inverted runs, passing and crossing? Let's not waste the best left back in the world at CB.
He is, but the injuries and fitness issues will likely catch up to him. Running up and down the left might not be the best way to use him within a year or two.

€10m for an academy player with just three or four first team appearances is quite impressive to be fair. I think he's a real talent though so I hope we put a sell on clause in there.

It is, but City were selling them straight out of the academy for more than that. Although admittedly they have some sort of money laundering scam going on with Southampton it seems.

Ye Shaws more than comfortable at playing CB but will depend whether we sign a LB or not like you say. Also I wonder if Malacia will show up this pre season.

He turned down the offer of a new contract. Not sure what else you expect the club to do.
Over pay them like we did with Brandon Williams so he can whine about the club rewarding young players too much too soon and not moving them on when they can’t make it.

He now goes to a team fully invested in him where he's got a much better chance at playing time, while sitting on the possibility of returning. Meanwhile, we retain first rights and, in the event we don't exercise them, we still make more on a future sale.

While I really hate to see him go, this is a very nice piece of business.

Makes me wonder if we are going to try and integrate Will Fish into the first team this season. ETH reportedly thought highly of him and he has played a lot of games on loan for Hiba over the last two seasons with SPL watchers saying he has been impressive. I thought Fish might be on his way out because Willy had leapfrogged him in the pecking order but maybe that is not the case after all.
Hake will play a role to help make Fish a proper defender for us in the long haul, or at the very least, good enough to raise his stock and we sell for better than market price.

By the way, I'm very surprised to see so many clubs agreeing to our buy-back and sell-on clause demands, though. I reckon these clauses are either very unrealistic or Ineos are excellent at negotiating them.

From Villareals point of view though they are getting a pretty good/decent defender with possibly tons of potential on the cheap and should probably get a few years out of him at least before he may attract the attention of us or another bigger club. Them getting a lower fee in a few years time is probably not as important as the benefits of having him in the meantime.

In Van De Beeks case I very much doubt we will be getting much of the add ons and in the case of Greenwood Lazio/Marseille are more than happy to take whatever clauses we add because they are getting him on the cheap.

We should not sell him at any point. He did not get enough minutes last season but when he did he looked solid. We must keep!!

Should remain as rotational option. Football fans have the shortest memory span. We all know Lindelof, Maguire and De light are injury prones, hopefully Martinez isn’t. We must keep him

Yeah I’m happy the club are better equipped now with selling youth players and buy back/sell on clauses. Over the last ten years we’ve allowed youth players to leave for small fees and basically lose on potential income from future sales from them.
Yes there seems to have been some really poor business over the last years.

I’m happy with this, but got some doubts about the buy back. If it is true we got as much as 10 mill for him, with only one year left on the contract, it makes me wonder how strong this buy back clause really is. He had hardly played at high level and imo he not at PL level (yet at least). Anyway, this move will hopefully give him the game time he needs to develop himself, and he would not get that at United.

I don’t think he’s got that in him for a full season any more and it’s only going to get worse. It’s pointless having the best left back in the world if he can’t play for half of the season.

It would be a smart move from him to learn the position now and possibility extend his top end career by a good three years.

He now goes to a team fully invested in him where he's got a much better chance at playing time, while sitting on the possibility of returning. Meanwhile, we retain first rights and, in the event we don't exercise them, we still make more on a future sale.

While I really hate to see him go, this is a very nice piece of business.
Same here. It’s sad that he’s leaving, but all in all it’s probably a decent piece of business. I felt the same when we sold Wes Brown and John O’Shea to Sunderland in 2011. Nevertheless, I do have my reservations over this. Probably means that we’ll be promoting or at least giving a bit of game time to Jackson and Kingdon.

Same here. It’s sad that he’s leaving, but all in all it’s probably a decent piece of business. I felt the same when we sold Wes Brown and John O’Shea to Sunderland in 2011. Nevertheless, I do have my reservations over this. Probably means that we’ll be promoting or at least giving a bit of game time to Jackson and Kingdon.
I haven’t seen them play so can’t comment on them specifically, but wouldn’t Fish be a more natural option to promote/include as a squad option/cover? My impression is that Fish has had a good couple of seasons for Hibernian and now experience from senior/PL football in Scotland .

I haven’t seen them play so can’t comment on them specifically, but wouldn’t Fish be a more natural option to promote/include as a squad option/cover? My impression is that Fish has had a good couple of seasons for Hibernian and now experience from senior/PL football in Scotland .
I’d forgotten about him. I’m not sure if the club have him in their plans though. We should probably give a chance though.

He said his good byes yesterday and left, Hopefully it works out for him as hes one of the nicest guys in the squad

It’s a smart move for him - as he can go to a club and have a better chance of getting game time. It’s a smart move by United - getting 10m for a guy with one year left of his contract despite playing 8 games, plus a buy back clause.

Came across well in interviews and felt he was going to stay, and looked genuinely happy in the final despite not playing - wish him well and hope he does well and returns in the future

Should remain as rotational option. Football fans have the shortest memory span. We all know Lindelof, Maguire and De light are injury prones, hopefully Martinez isn’t. We must keep him

He is not willing to renew the contract and he will leave the team next year for free
Also, will he accept to be rotation option? i do think he is not accept this to cause him not renew his contract..

We don't know. But I'm not said that we haven't overpayed a young player, we've made that mistake several times before. Besides I expect this was more about being guaranteed more game time.
We overpay for the older ones as well.

All the best to him, came across very well when he spoke about the club, was pretty decent and I have a lot of respect for a young player wishing to back themselves and pursue first team football.

I love this new direction, he will never play enough so letting him go with the option to buy back make total sense.

He just won't get the game time at United. Unless you are extremely talented at a young age you don't get a chance at big clubs, the developers, who take time to grow as players have to grow elsewhere and make a name for themselves.

This is much better than putting him on a new contract and sending him on loan, which we never have success with. Villareal has a stake in making him better, and we are good at developing players, and if he turns out to be amazing, we buy him back. I'd guess double the 10 we sold him for. If he turns out not good enough for United, but someone else wants him we’d likely get another 10 or so from the sell-on. Perhaps he’s worth a bit more, but he really hasn't had many games even out on loan, so it’s hard to know. Decent deal.

I think teams are taking injury history and availability into account more these days. Unfortunately for Kambwala he's hasn't stayed fit for any period of time but has shown decent enough potential at times. I think £10m is a fair fee for a player in the last year of contract and with his injury record.

I understand those who say we should loan him out and give it another year before deciding if we want to keep him or sell him for more i.e. £20m but it could backfire the other way. Also it's clear we need to sell to increase our spending power.
We can’t give him another year on loan, he’s in the last year of contract then he leaves for nothing. He’d also said that he’s not signing a new deal. Time to sell. 10m is alright considering 1 year left and so far has had lots of injuries

He looked alright on the pitch. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a decent career but at the same time nothing that screamed superstar defender.

Yeah, smart business from the club. A player in the last year of his contract who reportedly wasn't prepared to sign a new deal. You would assume that we didn't have much power in terms of a negotiating position, but still got a reasonable fee in relation to his experience and a buy back.

Did he not want to sign a new contract? That surprises me he loves the club. Maybe he wasn’t getting the deal he wanted or a guarantee of playing time.

This is the way to operate, it's the way Madrid does it. If the youngster is not good enough to feature regularly then sell him for a decent fee and insert a buy back clause. Best case he turns out good and we can always get him back. If not then we already sold him for a good fee.

Much better alternative than keep loaning players to clubs that have absolutely no interest in developing a youngster that they'll gain nothing of. So they end up playing very few minutes, with their contracts running down and we end either selling them for cheap of just letting them go for free.

Did he not want to sign a new contract? That surprises me he loves the club. Maybe he wasn’t getting the deal he wanted or a guarantee of playing time.
He was told that he was behind Lindelof so he walked out in disgust.

We should have put "generational talent" label on him and demand 40 mil. That is a trend now.

Status
Not open for further replies.