Willy Kambwala | 2024/25 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bothered in the slightest. He’s AWB levels on the ball and is another modern defender who relies far too much on his pace and physicality to bail him out of poor positioning.

£10m with one year remaining on contract is a good deal. Hopefully a sell on clause too.

At 19…

They would set it higher than that surely.
We are Manchester United after all.

That’s not how it works. He’s not their player until we agree to sell him to them, they don’t have all the leverage. Have you just missed the Zirkzee deal between Bayern and Bologna? If they play hard then fine, the price for Willy is 18m not 10.

I think teams are taking injury history and availability into account more these days. Unfortunately for Kambwala he's hasn't stayed fit for any period of time but has shown decent enough potential at times. I think £10m is a fair fee for a player in the last year of contract and with his injury record.

I understand those who say we should loan him out and give it another year before deciding if we want to keep him or sell him for more i.e. £20m but it could backfire the other way. Also it's clear we need to sell to increase our spending power.

I think its a good fee for a player who has barely played for us and even if he was fit all the time, still wouldnt have played much for us.

From his lack of selections last season he's obviously been down the pecking order and now we're signing several new CBs who will play instead of him. Even if now hes a bit older and a bit more experienced ETH is intending to use him more, a CB who is going to start 6 league games instead of 3 probably isnt going to be worth more than £10 million for a club trying to sign them.

That’s not how it works. He’s not their player until we agree to sell him to them, they don’t have all the leverage. Have you just missed the Zirkzee deal between Bayern and Bologna? If they play hard then fine, the price for Willy is 18m not 10.
£18mil?

Good luck to him. Maybe when he's 23-24 we can take a look at him again and evaluate the situation to buy him back or not.

By the way, I'm very surprised to see so many clubs agreeing to our buy-back and sell-on clause demands, though. I reckon these clauses are either very unrealistic or Ineos are excellent at negotiating them.

Good decision all round, fair enough that he wouldn’t sign a new contract but good club has been decisive and moved him on quickly.

Good luck to him. Maybe when he's 23-24 we can take a look at him again and evaluate the situation to buy him back or not.

By the way, I'm very surprised to see so many clubs agreeing to our buy-back and sell-on clause demands, though. I reckon these clauses are either very unrealistic or Ineos are excellent at negotiating them.

These are all for clubs getting good deals. It’s common place in the market. If you are a club like us that has the money to meet the full demands then you don’t have to worry about them.

Sad to see him go, he was on my list to make it as a solid PL level option, with a good rotation option for us. But good to see a buy-back clause inserted.

We'd have a depth issue we don't get in some CBs and some restless players if all of them are on an equal level. Currently:

1. Martinez
2. Maguire
3. Lindelof
4. Evans
5. Shaw

Need a first choice option to partner Martinez (De Light?), a solid third choice option (is this Maguire?) and a youth/reserve level option (this was Willy). Lindelof won't be content to be backup/fourth choice I'd think. Evans will probably move to that role. Not sure if Maguire will be content with that role also. Will need a Willy replacement; don't see any promising youth level CBs, not sure if Will Fish will make it at United.

Because at 20 players suddenly completely alter their playstyle and develop entirely new skillsets that are polar opposite to what they’ve shown in every single match for the past 4 years.

They do? That’s news to me. They might go from having ‘poor positioning’ to ‘good positioning’ between 19 and 24 or 25 though. Playing more than 8 professional matches will probably do that to a player.

Im surprised we're letting him go unless the buy back option is good. He didn't set the world alight but looked to have good attributes and a great attitude. That said Villareal have had some good defenders and if he goes and improves well then maybe we have a good clause included

Thanks for the explanations. Make sense if we face another season where all CBs get injured, and also for the future of course, if he turns in to a good player.
Yeah I’m happy the club are better equipped now with selling youth players and buy back/sell on clauses. Over the last ten years we’ve allowed youth players to leave for small fees and basically lose on potential income from future sales from them.

8m is weirdly low looking in as a neutral. Would've thought he'd have been in the 20m range.

Looks like you're signing at least 3 new CB and Maguire and Evans will hang around for another year so would've thought a year's loan would've been more logical (Lindelof will also probably go next summer).

Im surprised we're letting him go unless the buy back option is good. He didn't set the world alight but looked to have good attributes and a great attitude. That said Villareal have had some good defenders and if he goes and improves well then maybe we have a good clause included

He rejected an extension so it was either sell him or spend all of next season trying to convince him to sign on, which didn't work with Forson or Angel to name two.

It looks like a very good deal from where I'm standing.

8m is weirdly low looking in as a neutral. Would've thought he'd have been in the 20m range.

Looks like you're signing at least 3 new CB and Maguire and Evans will hang around for another year so would've thought a year's loan would've been more logical (Lindelof will also probably go next summer).
He played 22 games in 3 years since joining us. He just didn't play many games due to injuries and he only has 1 year left on his contract and refused a new deal so loan is out of question. Not sure we were in any position to demand much more.

€10m for an academy player with just three or four first team appearances is quite impressive to be fair. I think he's a real talent though so I hope we put a sell on clause in there.

He played 22 games in 3 years since joining us. He just didn't play many games due to injuries and he only has 1 year left on his contract and refused a new deal so loan is out of question. Not sure we were in any position to demand much more.

Refusing a new deal is interesting, is Jim lowballing the young players now?

It's interesting with your CB pool. Varane already gone, Evans got an extension but will surely be more of a bit part next season as he didn't expect to start so much I'm sure, Maguire will certainly be gone next summer and Lindelof should also be in that bracket.

So leaves with Martinez as the experienced CB type leader and then the new ones which looks like De Ligt, Yoro and then Branthwaite (although looks more likely in next window or summer 2025). Todibo will be in the mix aswell given you couldn't sign him this summer as planned.

Surprised Kambwala didn't back himself to break into that mix especially with Ten Hag staying on.

Refusing a new deal is interesting, is Jim lowballing the young players now?

It's interesting with your CB pool. Varane already gone, Evans got an extension but will surely be more of a bit part next season as he didn't expect to start so much I'm sure, Maguire will certainly be gone next summer and Lindelof should also be in that bracket.

So leaves with Martinez as the experienced CB type leader and then the new ones which looks like De Ligt, Yoro and then Branthwaite (although looks more likely in next window or summer 2025). Todibo will be in the mix aswell given you couldn't sign him this summer as planned.

Surprised Kambwala didn't back himself to break into that mix especially with Ten Hag staying on.
Nope, probably didn't get the assurances that he'll get playing time next season and he might have preferred to leave permanently rather than on loan. I don't think his demands would be that high for us to lowball him.

As it stands right now, only De Ligt looks the most nailed on to join. Yoro and Branthwaite deals appear dead in the water and we are blocked from signing Todibo so it looks like he's joining Juventus now.

It is certainly interesting to see if we are going to be linked with any other CB now. I think we will, as soon as Yoro makes his decision.

I am afraid we don't always appreciate homegrown talent enough. Both Kambwala and Amad showed massive quality in big games, repeatedly (!) so it is very disheartening to see that despite that we sold Kambwala and may also sell or loan Amad

Tuanzebe never had the kind of performances Kambwala had in big games, against biggest clubs last year when we had no defense and Kambwala bossed our defense like a pro

As for Amad, kid pretty much won us FA Cup! Without his goal we were not passing by Liverpool and there would be no glorious beating City in the final, which means Erik probably wouldn't even have a job now, if not for Amad's goal

And yet, we would rather bring back sleepy Sancho back and forgive all his transgressions, jeopardizing Amad's future at United

Seriously disheartening shit, if you ask me

Last edited:
How much was he offered?

We don't know. But I'm not said that we haven't overpayed a young player, we've made that mistake several times before. Besides I expect this was more about being guaranteed more game time.

I am afraid we don't always appreciate homegrown talent enough. Both Kambwala and Amad showed massive quality in big games, repeatedly (!) so it is very disheartening to see that despite that we sold Kambwala and may also sell or loan Amad

Tuanzebe never had the kind of performances Kambwala had in big games, against biggest clubs last year when we had no defense and Kambwala bossed our defense like a pro

As for Amad, kid pretty much won us FA Cup! Without his goal we were not passing by Liverpool and there would be no glorious beating City in the final, which means Erik probably wouldn't even have a job now, if not for Amad's goal

And yet, we would rather bring back sleepy Sancho back and forgive all his transgressions, jeopardizing Amad's future at United

If we were a smaller team sure, but we need a world class squad, then the top talents from the academy can integrate. Kambwala isn't that.

He's a squad player at best.

Would rather Lindelov was sold and we kept Kambwala as one for the future. However respect to his decision to want more game time, buyback option is handy but I doubt he will quite get to the level of us going for it.

I am afraid we don't always appreciate homegrown talent enough. Both Kambwala and Amad showed massive quality in big games, repeatedly (!) so it is very disheartening to see that despite that we are not even sure they are going to be given a chance

Let's not go overboard now. Kambwala had 1 half decent performance against Liverpool and was proper rubbish against Bournemouth. You're talking as if he carried our defense in lot of big games and the other were mostly substitute appearances at the end of games.

And even Antony scored in the same game that Amad scored in. Doesn't mean that Antony pretty much won us the FA Cup. That's quite a lot of conclusions you made from a single goal. If Amad proves himself, as he seemed to do at the end of last season, he will play.

Chill out.

If we were a smaller team sure, but we need a world class squad, then the top talents from the academy can integrate. Kambwala isn't that.

I disagree, I think he's a top talent and as long he gets a good situation in Spain and avoids injury he will show that.

United were kind of forced to sell here though, since he had decided not to sign a new contract understandably after not being shown enough trust last season in my view.

Makes me wonder if we are going to try and integrate Will Fish into the first team this season. ETH reportedly thought highly of him and he has played a lot of games on loan for Hiba over the last two seasons with SPL watchers saying he has been impressive. I thought Fish might be on his way out because Willy had leapfrogged him in the pecking order but maybe that is not the case after all.

He wasn't better than Lindelof, Maguire, or Evans? We don't yet have wold class talent, and even more - the players we are buying/targeting are not world class either, not in any way significantly better than Kambwala

Surprised at this. No idea what the depth at CB will look like next season. He looked decent and worth giving some time to

10m with a buy back clause, for a young inexperienced injury prone CB, is decent business.
He’s talented and has great physical attributes but if he didn’t want to sign a new contract, then there’s really not a whole lot to do here.

Hope it works out for him.

Accusing Manchester United (club/fans) of not appreciating homegrown talent enough is a new one, for me…

I think this is a nice deal for us. He definitely needs regular game time, and will not get it at United next season. And we are much better off having Evans as a backup for the next year. We have seen so many of our youth players struggling to break into the first team, before ending up leaving as free agents. Now we get a decent fee and have the opportunity to bring him back as a grown man in a couple of years.

Probably got informed, defense formation will be massively overhauled, and agent reacted accordingly.

Trade off better be good, as I just don't have mental capacity left to watch Linde & Maguire, while Arsenal jumping almost 30 points above.

Guess we will be targeting 3 CBs after all. Lindelof likely to leave. That will leave us with Maguire, Evans and Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.