Willy Kambwala | 2024/25 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected a contract extension I think and his contract expires next season, so club had no choice but to sell him. Good move for him. Glad we have a buyback too.

Yeah and the lad obviously wants to play regularly, can't blame him for that. Lost out on a fair bit of youth football when he first joined due to injury, so he's been playing catch up.

If he kicks on and we do have a buyback then maybe we'll see him back here one day.

Good piece of business selling him for €10m with a buy back.
He needs regular playing time that he probably wouldn’t have gotten with us, good for all parties to cash in after a fairly successful season for him.

There is a player in there, but Willy won't develop playing as 5th choice centre back.

I hope we also have a sell on clause, but 10 millions fee is decent considering he is into his last year of contract.

Disappointed to see him go but I understand why. The club have done the right thing by taking a nice fee with a buy back clause. Hopefully that fee can go towards another defender we want.

- Had to sell him
- Decent fee
- buy-back clause

Nicely done. Best of luck to him.

There is a player in there, but Willy won't develop playing as 5th choice centre back.

I hope we also have a sell on clause, but 10 millions fee is decent considering he is into his last year of contract.
We have a buy back clause

Never looked remotely good enough for us IMO. He came in and did his best, but he's another overhyped academy player.

If he’s any good we can just buy him back. Maybe we could’ve got a higher fee but I imagine the buy-back clause is pretty moderate to compensate.

Initially didn't sit right with me, but if we have better luck with injuries this season (it can't be any worse) he's going to be 5th choice. Developing elsewhere and bringing him back if he makes the step up is a good option.

We sign a 36yo for another season and we let one of our most promising defenders leave....where is the forward thinking in this?
I thought buying Bailly and Lindelof for about 35mil a piece and selling Smalling for 18mil was ridiculous :wenger:

Medical tomorrow, 5 year contract. Fee is €10m + add-ons according to Le Parisien.

Good business. A step in the direction of the likes of Chelsea who raise so much from surplus youngsters.

A shame in a way as I thought he looked good. But if we didn't see a starting place for him soon he'd never develop. Best for all parties.

Loving the Ineos approach I have to say.

We sign a 36yo for another season and we let one of our most promising defenders leave....where is the forward thinking in this?
I thought buying Bailly and Lindelof for about 35mil a piece and selling Smalling for 18mil was ridiculous :wenger:
He didn't want to sign a contract - what part of that is us letting him go?

Selling him for a tidy fee and with a buy back clause was always the wise choice.

Rejected a contract extension I think and his contract expires next season, so club had no choice but to sell him. Good move for him. Glad we have a buyback too.
How does a buyback work when his contract with United only has one year left? Is it only during that year then

He wants to play which he will not have a chance here. He doesn't want to be 5th choice and Evans wants.
His contract is up next year. Pretty simple situation. Sell him now or lose him for free next year

He turned down the offer of a new contract. Not sure what else you expect the club to do.

How does a buyback work when his contract with United only has one year left? Is it only during that year then
Buy back clause will be active for the duration of the new contract with his new team. They get him at a reduced price so we have the option to repurchase him at a slightly higher price

Classic FM move of reshuffling all the wages saved into the transfer budget. :p

Seriously though, I think some of the sales might have been more advanced than we know.

Probably players like Lindelof, Maguire, Sancho, Casemiro. Greenwood we already know is close to being done for €30m.

Said this in the transfers thread couple of days ago. So it has become true that some of the sales have been more advanced than we know, unfortunately different player.

Kind of explains why we have been looking for 3 CBs with 1 of Maguire/Lindelof also surely being moved on as they only have 1 year left on their contracts. Truth be told, it's a good move for him as he clearly wasn't going to get enough playing time to develop here and he's already missed plenty of playing time since joining here. For a guy who's as young as he is to only play 22 times in 3 years shows how much football he's missed through injuries. I think he's been here long enough to be considered as homegrown at club so this fee will be treated as pure profit for PSR? Can anybody confirm?

Good thing that we have started including buy back clauses when selling our youngsters. I also hope we have included a sell on clause as he's bound to fetch a good price for them if he can prove he can stay fit and get a good season under his belt.

Depends on what is negotiated when selling. There are some buy back clauses which only come into effect after 1 or 2 years and will be valid for like 1 particular window. Some might be valid for more than that but we can't really tell unless we know the full details.

Don’t really see it with him personally, surprised how many seem to rate him so highly.
Hope he proves me wrong and returns one day, seems a really top bloke.

Never been totally convinced myself, but had a couple of decent run outs in the first team, I would say I was on the fence with big Willy, although I do love to see our academy students becoming part of our first teams.
Seems to be a good decision all round, with a buy back clause, that would be great.

Sensible move by Utd. Willy made it clear he wasn’t going to sign a new contract so would have left for free next year.

Having a buy back and sell on fee is very prudent. Bayern have just proved that as they made £20m out of their Zirkzee sell on clause.

Evans will quite happily sit on the bench, and play when required, Kambwala needs to be playing regularly.

We can buy him back when we want for a set amount.
Buy back clause will be active for the duration of the new contract with his new team. They get him at a reduced price so we have the option to repurchase him at a slightly higher price
Depends on what is negotiated when selling. There are some buy back clauses which only come into effect after 1 or 2 years and will be valid for like 1 particular window. Some might be valid for more than that but we can't really tell unless we know the full details.
Thanks for the explanations. Make sense if we face another season where all CBs get injured, and also for the future of course, if he turns in to a good player.

Seriously? His contract is up next summer and he's turned down an extension. Evans is happy to be a back up option. Kambwala wants regular first team football which he isn't really going to get here with us buying potentially two centre backs.

This is great business. Villeareal is a well-run club where talents develop very well. He can go there, get regular pt, grow as a player and then we have an option to bring him home. Definitely better than stalling his development as a 6th choice here.

This is great business. Villeareal is a well-run club where talents develop very well. He can go there, get regular pt, grow as a player and then we have an option to bring him home. Definitely better than stalling his development as a 6th choice here.
[/QUOTE

Finally we are selling youngsters before their contract run out or they have noe value, even if I would have liked him to stay.

I think he’s a player we should have been looking for at least double for. City are selling guys like Harwood-Bellis for £20m for some strange reason. I felt he had potential to be a player here, but also always thought that he’d be a player we could sell for big money if he didn’t. I think we were a year short of being able to sell him got about £25m. A good loan would have put him in that bracket I think, as would a season with 15-20 appearances for us.

Good business. A step in the direction of the likes of Chelsea who raise so much from surplus youngsters.

A shame in a way as I thought he looked good. But if we didn't see a starting place for him soon he'd never develop. Best for all parties.

Loving the Ineos approach I have to say.

It's been a very competent start now they are all getting into place. Feels weird.

Anyone knows what this means in terms of our FFP ? Because he's an homegrown player.

Not his biggest fan (I think the missed youth football hurt him a lot), but £8.5m seems on the low side.

I think he’s a player we should have been looking for at least double for. City are selling guys like Harwood-Bellis for £20m for some strange reason. I felt he had potential to be a player here, but also always thought that he’d be a player we could sell for big money if he didn’t. I think we were a year short of being able to sell him got about £25m. A good loan would have put him in that bracket I think, as would a season with 15-20 appearances for us.
I think you answered your own question there. Harwood Bellis had multiple years on loan and ended up signed for Southampton by former Man City academy guy in Jason Wilcox. Kambwala never had that opportunity to go out on loan or play for us as he has been injured. And he only has a year left on his contract so this is about as good as we can get for him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.