Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

Top 20 or 30 was your claim right? I'd definitely have him over Maldini and maybe even Xavi in that list.
I had already named 13, there are plenty more, Puskas, Van Basten, Cafu, etc.

Saying he's outside the top 20-30 greatest players ever is anything but a 'ridiculous claim', certainly less ridiculous than C Ronaldo being outside the top 10.

How many CL goals did R9 score? 16? 16 in 40 is very unimpressive - no matter the context.

If everything can be so neatly reduced to goal scoring stats, why dont more people still hype up Mario Jardel or Kevin Phillips ?

Jardel scored more CL gols than Rivaldo and Romario so he must be better no?

I had already named 13, there are plenty more, Puskas, Van Basten, Cafu, etc.

Saying he's outside the top 20-30 greatest players ever is anything but a 'ridiculous claim', certainly less ridiculous than C Ronaldo being outside the top 10.
Van Basten is not better than Luis Ronaldo. Depends on how you rate them in your GOAT list, but Luis Ronaldo has every claim to be top 10 IMO.

Van Basten is not better than Luis Ronaldo. Depends on how you rate them in your GOAT list, but Luis Ronaldo has every claim to be top 10 IMO.
I already posted 10 who are clearly ahead of Luiz Ronaldo:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Messi
Pele
Maradona
Di Stéfano
Cruyff
Beckenbauer
Zidane
Xavi
Maldini

Pray tell who of these do you rate below him.

Do enlighten me how? Let me guess? Biography? Youtube? Telltale? Time machine?

I never said anything about past football, just the notion that some poster are putting ahead players they never see beyond some footage, youtube clips, and probably a few recorded match and dead set on decising they're better than x/y/z.

There are 55 full matches of Beckenbauer on Footballia alone. That is more than enough to judge especially considering that many people especially casual fans that rate Messinaldo so high dont watch more than a handful of full games they play any given year. I know a lot of people that watch El classico every year, i dont know anyone that makes times for Real vs Getafe any year

There are 55 full matches of Beckenbauer on Footballia alone. That is more than enough to judge especially considering that many people especially casual fans that rate Messinaldo so high dont watch more than a handful of full games they play any given year. I know a lot of people that watch El classico every year, i dont know anyone that makes times for Real vs Getafe any year

So you're saying beckenbauer better than messi?

Cristiano Ronaldo
Messi
Pele
Maradona
Di Stéfano
Cruyff
Beckenbauer
Zidane
Xavi
Maldini

I'd put him above Zidane and Maldini in that list.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Messi
Pele
Maradona
Di Stéfano
Cruyff
Beckenbauer
Zidane
Xavi
Maldini

Djorkaeff played with Zidane (WC 98-02, Euro 96-00) & Ronaldo (Inter) >>>

“I’ve played with many great players in my career but il Fenomeno was the best. He could almost speak to the ball, and he did it very well"

I'd put him above Zidane and Maldini in that list.
You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact is that it's anything but a ludicrous notion to suggest Luiz Ronaldo is outside the top 10.

Djorkaeff played with Zidane (WC 98-02, Euro 96-00) & Ronaldo (Inter) >>>

“I’ve played with many great players in my career but il Fenomeno was the best. He could almost speak to the ball, and he did it very well"
You're seriously going to base it on ONE comment?

anyone remember this pic? seems appropriate to post it here.

117ff3s.jpg

(I don't agree with everything and it's not mine btw)

You're entitled to your opinion, but the fact is that it's anything but a ludicrous notion to suggest Luiz Ronaldo is outside the top 10.
Probably. There are Best, Puskas and Platini as you said so people would rate them differently obviously. But then again Zidane above Ronaldo I find it also hard to swallow as good as Zidane was.

Just saw C.Ronaldo is topping your list(which is understandable as it's your favorite player). I'd have him around the top 10 as well. Definitely below the other 7 you mentioned and in terms of peak ability I'd have Fenomeno ahead of him as well.

For the top 10 it's always arguable, but Fenomeno not in top 20-30 is pretty ludicrous if you ask me. :)

Probably. There are Best, Puskas and Platini as you said so people would rate them differently obviously. But then again Zidane above Ronaldo I find it also hard to swallow as good as Zidane was.

Just saw C.Ronaldo is topping your list(which is understandable as it's your favorite player). I'd have him around the top 10 as well. Definitely below the other 7 you mentioned and in terms of peak ability I'd have Fenomeno ahead of him as well.

For the top 10 it's always arguable, but Fenomeno not in top 20-30 is pretty ludicrous if you ask me. :)
That's interesting, cos Zidane being in the top 10 or even top 5 seems to be widely accepted by lots, due to those 2 goals in 1998.

Saying LR is outside of Top 20 is as ridiculous as saying CR is outside of Top 10.
I obviously don't rate him anywhere as highly as some people on here do, but if you look over his CAREER (not just those 2 years), I cannot see why people think it ludicrous to suggest the likes of Van Basten were greater footballers than L Ronaldo.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Messi
Pele
Maradona
Di Stéfano
Cruyff
Beckenbauer
Zidane
Xavi
Maldini

That's 10 that are definitely ahead, then there are the likes of Garrincha, Baresi, Platini, etc who a strong case can be made.
Zidane ahead of Platini? Maldini ahead of Baresi? etc. Just proves that you have a bias towards more recent players, even leaving Cristiano aside.

Although I'm not sure how Luis Ronaldo isn't in top 20-30 and Zidane is one of the top 10 when the former was the best player of their generation

117ff3s.jpg

Yeah, it's actually quite a decent list. You can argue with the personalities here and there, of course, but overall it's a great attempt. Since then Cristiano clearly moved to the higher tier though, as it was made a while ago.

That's interesting, cos Zidane being in the top 10 or even top 5 seems to be widely accepted by lots, due to those 2 goals in 1998.
Hurst scored 3 in the final, are we including him too?

117ff3s.jpg

Judging by the young look on the photo, I assume this list is made from at least 5+ years ago, when Messi was still leading Ronaldo in Ballon D'ore by 3-1 or 4-1? Since then things has changed abit I guess.

Zidane ahead of Platini? Maldini ahead of Baresi? etc. Just proves that you have a bias towards more recent players, even leaving Cristiano aside.

Although I'm not sure how Luis Ronaldo isn't in top 20-30 and Zidane is one of the top 10 when the former was the best player of their generation
Most articles on "top footballers in history" have the same 2 higher, it's hardly just my personal observation.

How exactly was Luiz Ronaldo the best player of the generation when he won relatively little, despite playing for some of the top club sides in the time?

I obviously don't rate him anywhere as highly as some people on here do, but if you look over his CAREER (not just those 2 years), I cannot see why people think it ludicrous to suggest the likes of Van Basten were greater footballers than L Ronaldo.

I don't get the stats. It's rarely we consider watching a player play and feel privileged to in the same era to watch them. Luis Ronaldo is one such player and so is CR7. You made an outlandish claim that he would not be within top 20 and 30 and now trying to explain it away by comparing with MvB. I can't be bothered to rank players but both would definitely be in Top 20.

I wish people would stop saying "The REAL Ronaldo"

The "real" Ronaldo just won his fourth Champions League and is on his way to his fifth Ballon d'Or.

CR is probably the best striker of all time. I'd have it something like...

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Luis Ronaldo (although I consider him more talented and higher peak)
3) Gerd Muller
4) Marco van Basten
5) Romario

As a footballer,

1) Pele
2) Maradona
3) Cruyff
4) Beckenbauer
5) Di Stefano

are all above him and even Messi imo.

I wish people would stop saying "The REAL Ronaldo"

The "real" Ronaldo just won his fourth Champions League and is on his way to his fifth Ballon d'Or.

Sorry :wenger:

José Mourinho sent a message to Cristiano Ronaldo in an interview with ESPN. "I was manager for the first time in the year 2000 but, before that, I was assistant in big clubs and with big managers and coaching the best players in the world. So I was 30 and I was coaching Ronaldo, not this one [Cristiano], the real one, the Brazilian Ronaldo", he said.

http://www.marca.com/2013/08/03/en/football/real_madrid/1375548924.html

Sorry :wenger:

José Mourinho sent a message to Cristiano Ronaldo in an interview with ESPN. "I was manager for the first time in the year 2000 but, before that, I was assistant in big clubs and with big managers and coaching the best players in the world. So I was 30 and I was coaching Ronaldo, not this one [Cristiano], the real one, the Brazilian Ronaldo", he said.

http://www.marca.com/2013/08/03/en/football/real_madrid/1375548924.html
Jose says a lot of things that fits his agenda at the time.

Jose-Mourinho-quotes-about-Cristiano-Ronaldo.jpg

I don't get the stats. It's rarely we consider watching a player play and feel privileged to in the same era to watch them. Luis Ronaldo is one such player and so is CR7. You made an outlandish claim that he would not be within top 20 and 30 and now trying to explain it away by comparing with MvB. I can't be bothered to rank players but both would definitely be in Top 20.
If you agree that Marco Van Basten is top 20, there's nothing outlandish about L Ronaldo not being top 20.

I'll post a list of 20 players I rate as greater than L Ronaldo later

@Cal? will call his son Cristiano and his daughter Cristiana hopefully :-)

There are a few bad examples on the second video but it's interesting to watch nevertheless. As good as all the other attacking players mentioned are on the ball, none of those players are better than Cristiano off the ball. Most are not even close. It might not be as pretty to watch as a bit of dribbling but if in the end it's as effective or even more so then it must be apreciated too.

CR is probably the best striker of all time. I'd have it something like...

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Luis Ronaldo (although I consider him more talented and higher peak)
3) Gerd Muller
4) Marco van Basten
5) Romario

As a footballer,

1) Pele
2) Maradona
3) Cruyff
4) Beckenbauer
5) Di Stefano

are all above him and even Messi imo.

How would you rate him as a winger based on his time with us?

He did start in the wing, but I wouldn't say he played as a winger during his best seasons with us. It was more of free role/fluid front 3.

I know, was just curious how you would rate him as a pure winger? (before 06/07 season) since it was his dribbling prowess that made us buy him not the goals which came later.