What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

ManRed

Need goal scorer/match winner upfront. We scored the same goals as Crystal Palace, surely we can't be ignoring our Forward line.

De Ligt
LB
Ugarte
ST

M4nu4Life

We need to sort out our midfield.
We only have one true midfielder in Mainoo.

Casemiro has struggled with injuries and form.

Fernandez, and Eriksen are better as a number 10.

Two midfielders would be great.

aeh1991

I like the profile of Ferdi Kadioglu. Has impressed at the Euros so far. Would cost around 25-30m and can play LB and RB which would allow us to sell AWB while giving Shaw competition.

Andersons Dietician

Need goal scorer/match winner upfront. We scored the same goals as Crystal Palace, surely we can't be ignoring our Forward line.

De Ligt
LB
Ugarte
ST
We do need a striker but we would probably get more goals if we get a creative winger that will pass the ball. So we need a back up striker and a winger that fits the bill. Especially if Sancho, Greenwood go. As in our squad there is really only Sancho and Amad that fit that bill.

Someone

Something
I'm worried that we won't be able to address that lack of goals in this window. Don't have a problem with Zirkzee but we need at least two forwards, one CF in the mold of Toney who can score goals and ease the pressure on Hojlund, and another forward who can play on either sides, because we can't start the season with Just Garnacho, who's still very young, and the hope that Rashford will do well. I'm not sure where Zirkzee fits in here.

croadyman

I will be impressed if we get all three over the line. Ugarte and DeLigt are both very strong characters, which is good for the club on and off the pitch.

I don't know much about Zirkzee in terms of his mentality and will to win.

I presume after these three anyone else will depend on players going out.

Also would be happy with Amrabat on loan again
Yeah pretty certain anything more than those is going to be dependent on selling players, agree with the poster who says selling Greenwood and particularly Sancho will be difficult

croadyman

I'm worried that we won't be able to address that lack of goals in this window. Don't have a problem with Zirkzee but we need at least two forwards, one CF in the mold of Toney who can score goals and ease the pressure on Hojlund, and another forward who can play on either sides, because we can't start the season with Just Garnacho, who's still very young, and the hope that Rashford will do well. I'm not sure where Zirkzee fits in here.
Think Zirkzee has that capability to do the second job, however there doesn't seen to be any interest in signing a goalscorer to take pressure off. Feel that we need to be more flexible with that supposed 25 and under policy here. Would say across first XI and squad we probably need 7 players (RCB, backup LCB,LB/RB,CDM,playmaker,RW, and ST)

The-Mezzala

I like the profile of Ferdi Kadioglu. Has impressed at the Euros so far. Would cost around 25-30m and can play LB and RB which would allow us to sell AWB while giving Shaw competition.
Yes versatility is a good thing . Arsenal were often linked with him. But looks like they getting Calafiori now so can’t imagine they will sign another defender. Only way we would sign him if we sold AWB or Malacia . I think left back is a big priority this summer cant rely on shaw and Malacia hasn’t impressed me apart from a few decent games. The fact this guy can play both sides is a bonus.

Last edited:

croadyman

Yes versatility is a good thing . Arsenal were often linked with him. But looks like they getting Calafiori now so can’t imagine they will sign another defender. Only way we would sign him if we sold AWB or Malacia . I think left back is a big priority this summer cant rely on shaw and Malacia hasn’t impressed me apart from a few decent games. The fact this guy can play both sides is a bonus.
Well if he has that versatility to play LB/RB then we should definitely be interested in him

Indigofink

Must Buy:
LCB
RCB
LB
DM
CM (Creative - game controlling)
ST
ST (Back up)

Buy if Possible:
RW
RB

Must Sell:
Maguire
Lindelof
AWB
VDB
Casimiro
Eriksen

Sell if suitable offer:
Sancho
Rashford (has to be the most inconsistent player in the league - so frustrating!)
McTominay
Pallestri
Antony (highly unlikely anyone would touch him with a barge pole... if we do keep him he MUST play on the left so that he doesn't stop play constantly having to cut inside)

Keep:
Greenwood (controversial but why would you sell one of the best players in Europe??)
Hannibal (there's a player in there).

Promote:
At least 3 players from youth set-up

Key principle should be to buy young, hungry, strong, athletic players who WANT to play for us!
Tap players up as much as possible (Madrid model)
Use good value Buy out clauses and Free transfers where possible.
Use Loan options as appropriate.
Walk away from negotiations straight away when stupid prices are quoted!

croadyman

Must Buy:
LCB
RCB
LB
DM
ST
ST (Back up)

Buy if Possible:
RW
RB

Must Sell:
Maguire
Lindelof
AWB
VDB
Casimiro
Eriksen

Sell if suitable offer:
Sancho
Rashford (has to be the most inconsistent player in the league - so frustrating!)
McTominay
Pallestri
Antony (highly unlikely anyone would touch him with a barge pole... if we do keep him he MUST play on the left so that he doesn't stop play constantly having to cut inside)

Keep:
Greenwood (controversial but why would you sell one of the best players in Europe??)

Promote:

Key principle should be to buy young, hungry, strong, athletic players who WANT to play for us!
Are you classing Zirkzee as a ST?

Sea-Cow

We still have Amad, no?

daba

Must Buy:
LCB
RCB
LB
DM
ST
ST (Back up)

Buy if Possible:
RW
RB

Must Sell:
Maguire
Lindelof
AWB
VDB
Casimiro
Eriksen

Sell if suitable offer:
Sancho
McTominay
Pallestri

Keep:

Promote:

With Erik staying I think Sancho is now a must sell.

On Greenwood, as good as he is, the PR outrage we'd receive by keeping him would be mental and he'd also be pure profit for PSR so despite his quality it makes more sense to sell.

Rojofiam

Rabiot is available for free.

He's a good player and I wouldn't mind someone like him who's good enough to start for us at CM, as it would mean that Mainoo wouldn't have to play 50 games a season at 19/20 years of age.

I know that in 2022, a deal fell through as the salary demands were too much, but I'd like us to try again and offer him sensible terms, even if it's unlikely that he (and his mom) would accept.

croadyman

He's a good player and I wouldn't mind someone like him who's good enough to start for us at CM, as it would mean that Mainoo wouldn't have to play 50 games a season at 19/20 years of age.

I know that in 2022, a deal fell through as the salary demands were too much, but I'd like us to try again and offer him sensible terms, even if it's unlikely that he (and his mom) would accept.
Well Adam from Forever Utd TV claims he's heard from his same Italian source who gave Zirkzee news that we have offered him contract, personally I don't believe a single word of it

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Think a CB and DM is crucial. A young DM that can control games. I’d really like us to sign a creative winger. I keep saying this but we lack creativity with Bruno being the only player capable of picking out world class passes. The creative winger wouldn’t so much do that but they’d look to find the ST before trying to score themselves. A ST who can compete with Højlund is crucial aswell. Whether that be a false 9 to help our style of play or an actual goalscorer but the last one should only be if we sign a creative winger otherwise it’s pointless when we have selfish wingers.

Indigofink

Are you classing Zirkzee as a ST?
He looks good on the ball technically and appears to be the right profile age and budget wise. From what I've seen his movement off the ball and speed look a bit questionable (particularly for the PL).

Toney and Watkins are both top level proven PL players and would be great for us but probably would cost too much.

I really like Jonathan David at Lille who looks ready made for the PL and likely to be more affordable.

Indigofink

Rabiot is a top player and the type of midfielder we are crying out for. Would prefer FdJ though but that isn't going to happen.
Clearly we also need a solid DM to replace Casimiro who I would expect to leave for Saudi.
Cas was awesome in his 1st season and almost single-handedly got us top 4. Last season he had an almost impossible job working with that defence and system.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
A dumb almost dream scenario of mine taking in consideration who's available would be something like:

Defenders: de ligt and calafiori
Midfielders: ugarte and neves and desire doue

It's not particularly a balanced outlook especially in regards to how they would fit in but those are players that excite me so why not.

Redstain

Said the same thing last year and correctly predicted the team finishing 6th or below in the seasons expectations thread before the game against Wolves.

If United don't sign wide players the team and manager are in for a poor season.

Erik has shown no reluctance to position the midfield to overload the opposition and so the phase of play that's utilized to create chances and break the opposition down is contributions from the wide areas.

If Anthony, Amad, Garnacho and Rashford are the options after 30th August, the team will struggle it's a guarantee.

The wrong profile of players as a collective and the wrong periods of their careers to be starters for a team challenging to get into the top four, which is a commercial and competitive necessity at this point.

croadyman

He looks good on the ball technically and appears to be the right profile age and budget wise. From what I've seen his movement off the ball and speed look a bit questionable (particularly for the PL).

Toney and Watkins are both top level proven PL players and would be great for us but probably would cost too much.

I really like Jonathan David at Lille who looks ready made for the PL and likely to be more affordable.
Chelsea look to be in for David and yeah absolutely no chance of getting Watkins/Toney

Faetheshire86

It's clear we need to bring in:
  • Right sided centre back to replace Varane
  • Defensive midfielder to replace Amrabat
  • Centre forward to replace Martial

After that my priorities would be:
  • Left back, unsure what the Malacia situation is, but could maybe get him a loan if he is fit
  • Left centre back with Lindelof being sold

That would leave us with:

Onana + backups
New LB / Shaw
Martinez / New LCB / Evans
New RCB / Maguire / Kambwala
Dalot / AWB
New DM / Casemiro
Maino / McTominay / Eriksen
Fernandez / Mount
Garnacho / Rashford
Amad / Antony
Hoijlund / New CF

I think that would be a good window. With obviously selling any of the players not listed to raise funds. Our defence was obviously a massive issue last season, in terms of conceding, controlling games and even just having fit players. So focusing there should be the priority after filling the obvious holes. Our attack is young and has potential.

If we could make some 1 in 1 out upgrades, I think Casemiro and Antony would be the top of my list. Casemiro because of his contract and the fact I believe that he refused to play the FA Cup final for us. Bringing in someone who could backup the new #6 and potentially Mainoo as well would be smart. And Antony, because we really need an upgrade at right wing and he doesn't look like he comes close to being good enough for us.

Rojofiam

Rabiot is a top player and the type of midfielder we are crying out for. Would prefer FdJ though but that isn't going to happen.
Clearly we also need a solid DM to replace Casimiro who I would expect to leave for Saudi.
Cas was awesome in his 1st season and almost single-handedly got us top 4. Last season he had an almost impossible job working with that defence and system.
I doubt Rabiot will happen, either.
He used to be part of United Stand, unfortunately his channel is becoming a bit like it now
I see, thanks. Don't really follow any of these channels, tbh the only one I've seen that seems somewhat decent was UnitedPeople's TV and there's another one I don't remember the name of. But like I said, I don't follow any of them.

daba

If we do lose Marcus or we are able to shift Antony on, Chiesa is reportedly available for €25m from Juve as his contract is up next summer.

He’s lost a bit of his electrifying pace from his long injury but there’s still a player there IMO and would certainly be an improvement on Antony.

croadyman

I doubt Rabiot will happen, either.

I see, thanks. Don't really follow any of these channels, tbh the only one I've seen that seems somewhat decent was UnitedPeople's TV and there's another one I don't remember the name of. But like I said, I don't follow any of them.
Yeah I like United People's TV because Sam doesn't come across annoyingly smug,yeah you are probably right about Rabiot too

Todd

If we do lose Marcus or we are able to shift Antony on, Chiesa is reportedly available for €25m from Juve as his contract is up next summer.

He’s lost a bit of his electrifying pace from his long injury but there’s still a player there IMO and would certainly be an improvement on Antony.
I'd take Chiesa in a heartbeat, he'd immediately be our best right winger.

aeh1991

My ideal, realistic transfer window suggestion:

LB: Bradley Locko 13m (replaces AWB?)
CB: Matthijs De Ligt 40m (replaces Varane)
CB: Strahinja Pavlovic 18m (replaces Lindelöf)
DM: Manuel Ugarte 45m (replaces Casemiro)
DM: Lucas Gourna-Douath 15m (replaces Amrabat)
CM/CAM: Angel Gomes 17m (replaces Eriksen, Van de Beek)
RW: ?
CF: Joshua Zirkzee 34m (replaces Martial)

list consisting of two RB players (Vivell connection), one former academy player, one talented LB that fits Vivells transfer strategy and players that will likely join us. Only for RW I have no idea who to go for.

jesperjaap

Said the same thing last year and correctly predicted the team finishing 6th or below in the seasons expectations thread before the game against Wolves.

If United don't sign wide players the team and manager are in for a poor season.

Erik has shown no reluctance to position the midfield to overload the opposition and so the phase of play that's utilized to create chances and break the opposition down is contributions from the wide areas.

If Anthony, Amad, Garnacho and Rashford are the options after 30th August, the team will struggle it's a guarantee.

The wrong profile of players as a collective and the wrong periods of their careers to be starters for a team challenging to get into the top four, which is a commercial and competitive necessity at this point.
Completely agree with this. Bar 4months for Rashford been garbage for 3+ years, barsome CL games ANtony has been garbage. Garnacho/Amad are two exiting second choice options....but I see no first choices.

The truth is, there is too much to do in onewindow, we need a first choice rb, rcb, dm, lw, rw, cf.That is just ourfirst choice eleven, with some obvious injury concernsprobably another 4 signings beyond that....thats 10 signings.

Obviously we havent even signed anybody yet so not the time to judge but it appears we wantto sign four, DeLigt, Ugarte, Zirkzee and maybe another cb are thebig links.

If that is our window, I am underwelmed.....AGAIN. The only major progression we mae overlast season is through form and injuries.

They are all good players, but does DeLigt bringmore than Varane....and more games. Ugarte adds energy but is he transformative....and does Zirkzee improve anything in our first eleven......yet those three (with Zirkzee agent commisions) cost us about £150m......little is improved inthe first eleven andseveral of the big problems are still there. I thinkwe are getting it wrong again.

This summer there arethe likesof Chiesa for £25m orforgetting wages Doue or Nico Williams that wouldnt cost more than Zirkzee. Surely Hoijlund thrives more from that service thanus improving with a better link up striker....under the same service?

Then you look at Ugarte £50m odd £120k a week wages odd at the moment. Someone like ALan Varela earns a fractionof that at Porto and hasmore to his game for me and costs a similar fee...or there are thelikes of Andre or Fernandez in SOuth America atprobably half the cost and a fractionof the wages.

For me this feels like we are going to get another Ten Hag window,stillbig wages just not overpaying on the fees.But we do four signings when we need ten....andcould probably do 6/7 that progressus far more than the four....nothing looking exciting orsurprising so far from this Ineos teamofback room staff if the links areanythig to go by.

As you say, not improvingthefirst choice supply and creativity out widewould be a big mistake and there are two potential world class talents available this summer....madness

croadyman

Completely agree with this. Bar 4months for Rashford been garbage for 3+ years, barsome CL games ANtony has been garbage. Garnacho/Amad are two exiting second choice options....but I see no first choices.

The truth is, there is too much to do in onewindow, we need a first choice rb, rcb, dm, lw, rw, cf.That is just ourfirst choice eleven, with some obvious injury concernsprobably another 4 signings beyond that....thats 10 signings.

Obviously we havent even signed anybody yet so not the time to judge but it appears we wantto sign four, DeLigt, Ugarte, Zirkzee and maybe another cb are thebig links.

If that is our window, I am underwelmed.....AGAIN. The only major progression we mae overlast season is through form and injuries.

They are all good players, but does DeLigt bringmore than Varane....and more games. Ugarte adds energy but is he transformative....and does Zirkzee improve anything in our first eleven......yet those three (with Zirkzee agent commisions) cost us about £150m......little is improved inthe first eleven andseveral of the big problems are still there. I thinkwe are getting it wrong again.

This summer there arethe likesof Chiesa for £25m orforgetting wages Doue or Nico Williams that wouldnt cost more than Zirkzee. Surely Hoijlund thrives more from that service thanus improving with a better link up striker....under the same service?

Then you look at Ugarte £50m odd £120k a week wages odd at the moment. Someone like ALan Varela earns a fractionof that at Porto and hasmore to his game for me and costs a similar fee...or there are thelikes of Andre or Fernandez in SOuth America atprobably half the cost and a fractionof the wages.

For me this feels like we are going to get another Ten Hag window,stillbig wages just not overpaying on the fees.But we do four signings when we need ten....andcould probably do 6/7 that progressus far more than the four....nothing looking exciting orsurprising so far from this Ineos teamofback room staff if the links areanythig to go by.

As you say, not improvingthefirst choice supply and creativity out widewould be a big mistake and there are two potential world class talents available this summer....madness
Maybe we have enquired about the likes of Chiesa and Doue this window, let's be honest there is no chance we could attract Nico Williams at the moment. I also don't agree that those signings you mentioned are underwhelming either. We have to be realistic about our situation this summer.

croadyman

My ideal, realistic transfer window suggestion:

LB: Bradley Locko 13m (replaces AWB?)
CB: Matthijs De Ligt 40m (replaces Varane)
CB: Strahinja Pavlovic 18m (replaces Lindelöf)
DM: Manuel Ugarte 45m (replaces Casemiro)
DM: Lucas Gourna-Douath 15m (replaces Amrabat)
CM/CAM: Angel Gomes 17m (replaces Eriksen, Van de Beek)
RW: ?
CF: Joshua Zirkzee 34m (replaces Martial)

list consisting of two RB players (Vivell connection), one former academy player, one talented LB that fits Vivells transfer strategy and players that will likely join us. Only for RW I have no idea who to go for.
Who is the other player with Vivell connection?

croadyman

Pavlovic and Gourna-Douath from his Salzburg days.

He wasn’t at the club when either player arrived but you’d imagine he has a host of connections from his time there.
Yeah will definitely have some connections which could prove useful in our financial situation