What are your expectations for the new season? [2024/25 edition]

• Top 4- this has to shift to a title challenge at some point in the future but for now top 4 and/or the EL should be the target.
  • Further development of the core parts of our team: Hojlund, Garnacho, Martinez, Mainoo, Dalot, Onana- these players have to keep improving and remaining a key part of the team. I'm confident they can.
  • More goals- It took Arteta more than two seasons to turn Arsenal into a high scoring team but he got there eventually and I expect the same of EtH. Can't have another season of just 55 goals or so
  • Another trophy - Europa league or domestic cup
  • Better football

Depends on transfers. If we do some regular business, without fireworks, then 5th or 6th with a positive GD and a good cup run would be an OK season.

Too early, need to see progression of transfer window in and outs. How we learn from last pre season, availability and momentum going in to campaign. Far too early to predict anything, except it would be impossible for us to be as shite at Old Trafford this season.
Thank you for sayin this. How could we know?

Nah, Villa will most definitely struggle with CL games midweek. This is something they are going to encounter for the first time in years. We have seen with Newcastle last year how they struggled with those extra games.
Newcastle had a very thin squad that also experienced some above average injury record. Villa have a much larger squad which should help them.

I can't see top four being even a remote possibility with the attacking wide forwards, made a thread about it already but I think the best position for United is 6th unless there's wide players acquired.

I can see Erik reverting back to a double pivot, which coincidentally was the key change against Newcastle, Brighton and City that won those games with more balance across the middle. So by abandoning the the two 8's that failed to materialize the entire season, it puts more emphasis on the wide players either coming inside and scoring or providing service into the box.

Hojlund has one of the highest conversions in the league because he wasn't getting service, I don't see that changing next season. Zirkzee can perhaps drop into spaces more playing between the lines but I think the writing is on the wall with this attack next season, it will be the third consecutive season in a row where United have the worst scoring record in the top 8.

Well we finished 8th last season.

It's still only early July so i wont make any predictions just yet

I just want us to dominate games and not get outplayed by a majority of teams again.

To score more goals would be nice as well.

Newcastle had a very thin squad that also experienced some above average injury record. Villa have a much larger squad which should help them.
Guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think they can reach the heights from last season. I do agree they have recruited well this summer but then they have to prioritize between Prem and CL games. And isn't this the season where the new CL format takes effect which means couple of extra games in the group stages than previously?

Guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think they can reach the heights from last season. I do agree they have recruited well this summer but then they have to prioritize between Prem and CL games. And isn't this the season where the new CL format takes effect which means couple of extra games in the group stages than previously?
That's true, it's going to be 8 games rather than 6, and possibly further 2 additional games if you were to finish 9-24 in the 'league' stages. They will have to manage their squad well but they kind of already had to do that with Conference League last year.

Top 4 and a +20 GD.

For comparison, 3rd place Liverpool had +45 and 4th place Villa had +15 last season.

Good football
Team looks like they have an idea of how to play together
Several key players show they actually give a shit
Less injuries (ideally none)
A trophy would be nice
Top 4 PL is a big ask, will come if all the above is checked out

I have absolutely zero expectations. You can easily predict how the season is going to go based on our transfer activity. Dither on transfers like last year or make costly mistakes like Mount again then top 10 will be the best we can hope.

Top 4
Cup win
Sell the deadwood
Bring in 4-5 first team or rotation players
Keep developing Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund and Amad
Slowly integrate a few youth players such as Wheatley and Amass
Play a better brand of football
At least 20+ positive GD

Let’s see how the window turns out first I guess. Would hope for CL return and much better football.

Top 4, significant progress and improvement in a viable/sustainable playing style that sees us consistently outplay our competition, and improvements in performances against the top 6 that doesn't involve just shutting up shop and hanging on to games by a thread if we score first.

Honestly we need to score/create more. These first two seasons have been dire in the final third, all things considered. But if ETH's solution to that is to just gung ho the game plan again and leave Ugarte/Casemiro to cover 80m of ground on his own then it's all fecked anyways and he'll be sacked by Christmas.

I shouldn't have to watch us get embarassed and dominated by relegation sides at Old Trafford where they are just battering shots at Onana but "they aren't wide open chances". None of that shit. Basically get back to 22/23 pre-cup win levels with more consistent final third threat and I'd be pleased.

If we can have a decent transfer window, I really hope we can get back into top 4. It will not be easy, I am not sure most fans acknowledge how competitive top 8 has become

If we don’t sign anyone, 6th or 7th.

I want us to bring in our top targets before pre-season with the full-team starts, and expect us to hit the ground running with entertaining football.

I agree with the general consensus of CL qualification and a deep cup run.

Not really bothered by cup runs or not because quite frankly progress won't be defined by whether we scrape a cup or not. I'd rather lose early in a flukey cup game while showing huge progress in performances in the league and on a weekly basis then repeat last season.

I'm not too impressed by the squads of Newcastle, Villa, Chelsea, Spurs, and even Liverpool. Only City and Arsenal are comfortably ahead of ours at the moment IMO. The others are debatable and the Newcastle-Villa duo have weaker squads than us.

Newcastle is an interesting prospect, season before last they had the joint best defense in the league with City having only conceded 33 goals getting top four.

The following season last year, they were hit with injuries across the defence but still scored the 4th highest amount of goals (85) only one behind Liverpool and 6 less than Arsenal with a injury depleted squad.

Essentially if they maintain their attacking intent next season and remain robust in the defence they are more or less in higher top four territory.

That still requires many things to fall in their favor but assessing the stats subjectively Newcastle are the closest aside Liverpool to bridging the gap with Arsenal / City.

I can't see top four being even a remote possibility with the attacking wide forwards, made a thread about it already but I think the best position for United is 6th unless there's wide players acquired.

I can see Erik reverting back to a double pivot, which coincidentally was the key change against Newcastle, Brighton and City that won those games with more balance across the middle. So by abandoning the the two 8's that failed to materialize the entire season, it puts more emphasis on the wide players either coming inside and scoring or providing service into the box.

Hojlund has one of the highest conversions in the league because he wasn't getting service, I don't see that changing next season. Zirkzee can perhaps drop into spaces more playing between the lines but I think the writing is on the wall with this attack next season, it will be the third consecutive season in a row where United have the worst scoring record in the top 8.
So, your expectations are sky high then?;)

Newcastle is an interesting prospect, season before last they had the joint best defense in the league with City having only conceded 33 goals getting top four.

The following season last year, they were hit with injuries across the defence but still scored the 4th highest amount of goals (85) only one behind Liverpool and 6 less than Arsenal with a injury depleted squad.

Essentially if they maintain their attacking intent next season and remain robust in the defence they are more or less in higher top four territory.

That still requires many things to fall in their favor but assessing the stats subjectively Newcastle are the closest aside Liverpool to bridging the gap with Arsenal / City.

Look at the number of goals we conceded in the 16/17, 17/18, 19/20, 20/21 seasons, and even the 22/23 season. Everyone still claimed we have a shit defense, and in the end, we couldn't really build on these seasons.

I'd settle for a top 4 finish, a good Europa League campaign and no domestic violence allegations.

I'd settle for a top 4 finish, a good Europa League campaign and no domestic violence allegations.

if you take out the first two, you’ve got my new year’s resolution.

looking at the schedule, CP away could be our most difficult fixture till ethe end of September. I expect 5 wins and a draw

Anyone who finished last season between 3rd and 8th could finish this coming season anywhere between 3rd and 8th.

I'd also predict that the gap between between 3rd and 2nd will be smaller and a team will win the league with between 80 and 85 points.

United will finish between 3rd and 6th and win the Europa League. Ratcliffe will buy another 25% of the club.

Arsenal will bottle it again.

city will walk the league but Guardiola will announce he's leaving around mid March and they'll get knocked out of the Champions League.

Liverpool will struggle.

Spurs will have a good season.

Chelsea will continue to be a basket case and sack their manager at Christmas.

Southampton will be a surprise package and finish in the top half.

Forest will get relegated and announce serious financial problems.

Newcastle will have a poor start and sack Howe around September/October but end up having a decent season.

Expect top 4. Predict around 7th with more of the same as last year.

- Top 4
- At least 75 points
- Signs of entertaining football
- Signs of improved injury record

They all pretty much go hand in hand. No excuses now, this has to go right.

If our incoming players are de Ligt, Zirkzee, and Ugarte, and we don't sustain an injury crisis on the level of last season, my expectations would be 5th in the league, with 65 goals scored, a decent run in both of the domestic cups, and making the quarter-finals of the Europa.

Those three signings would be nowhere near enough to result in significant progress for this club.

It might be my naivety and the scouse boom bust cycle kicking in, but I am feeling slightly optimistic about this season. Don't think we will be challenging, but there are some things to be positive about.

- I like that Ineos chose to stand by the manager. It might show some of the players that it is up to them to step up. I've had the feeling previously that our group of players sometimes give up because they know the manager will be sacked at some point.

- Another year on Garnacho, Mainoo, Højlund, Amad etc.

- Rashford cannot have an equally poor year. He seems to go in cycles, so hopefully he has a very good year this year.

- We look to be making signings in the most needed positions. A new commanding CB and a defensive midfielder ala Ugarte would hopefully help us be less open than last year.

Generally there seems to be a more positive feel around the club, with seemingly the right people coming in at top positions, renovations starting etc. Ruud coming in will problably also give a bit of a boost.