What are your expectations for the new season? [2024/25 edition]

It will all depend on Rashford and injuries. If Rashford has one of his good seasons and gets 15-20 goals and we don't have an injury hit season then top 4 and a good run in the cups. If not 5th.

My bookie has us as the sixth team with the shortest odds to make top 4, after City, Arsenal, Pool and Chelsea, marginally behind Newcastle and with the same odds as Spurs. This is quite fair and I expect us to finish around the 6-7th place and get something like a semi of EFL cup or a quarter of EL.

You would like to see some kind of tangible improvement in terms of the football being played.

Score more goals and concede less while playing attacking football and have a clear identity, rather than depending on moments of magic out of the blue to keep us in games.

We were second best in far too many games last season.

I want to see an improvement in the underlying play of the team. If there's 4 teams that are absolutely flying and the entry bar into the CL is higher than usual then so be it, but we need to start playing like a team who consistently qualifies for the CL.

Based on the evidence to date, I do not believe that Ten Hag is a good PL manager, so I fear many of the issues we have seen in his first two seasons will reappear. There probably won't be as many injuries, we may have a fit left-back for a significant part of the season, we might even manage a competent away performance at one of the big teams, but overall, I think we will see similar patterns, if not quite as extreme as last season. Hopefully, some of our attacking players will perform a bit better.

Concerned that Ten Hag's favourites may get far more game time than they deserve. Hope Antony gets sold or loaned out this summer because if not, then he's likely to cost us points.

One new signing will look impressive, one will seem ok and the rest will be underwhelming in their first season.

Quite where Mason Mount is meant to play in the team will remain a mystery.

Last edited:
Need to see what the squad looks like come August, so many players need cleared out.

Would like to see a better way of playing moving forward - don't think we will break the top 5. We could be hard to shift in the cups.

We won't make top 4.

Absolute bare minimum CL Qualification.
Win another trophy would be ideal.

So aside from the obvious I dont want a repeat of last seasons negatives.
No bloody injury epidemic.
No more defeats above a 2 goal margin. (Obviously would love to go unbeaten but that might be a bit optimistic).

We need to change the style similar to the last few games of the season instead of playing Chaosball every week.

Its more a hope than an expectation but I hope Rasmus doubles his output from last season.
Expecting Rashford to be Rashford of 22/23 instead of last seasons may be a bit too optimistic also.

I think we are in the process of setting our house in order. It will be tough. And probably messy too.

Few basic things need fixing though. We need to sign better and fitter defenders and even the rest of the team needs to have some tactics on defending. You can't leak 2 goals a game and then expect your attackers to score 3. It is football 101. If you want to see any kind of tactics/stability in the team work, then you need to learn to defend.

Absolute bare minimum CL Qualification.
Win another trophy would be ideal.

So aside from the obvious I dont want a repeat of last seasons negatives.
No bloody injury epidemic.
No more defeats above a 2 goal margin. (Obviously would love to go unbeaten but that might be a bit optimistic).

We need to change the style similar to the last few games of the season instead of playing Chaosball every week.

Its more a hope than an expectation but I hope Rasmus doubles his output from last season.
Expecting Rashford to be Rashford of 22/23 instead of last seasons may be a bit too optimistic also.

Only one team has ever done it in the Prem so yeah I would say it's pretty optimistic :lol:

We'll win the EL just due to the fact that Sevilla aren't in it

Huge improvement in general play/underlying metrics focus and not grinding results out to a shit finish. An actual decent positive goal difference. Competent team play, not conceding 15+ shots per game, controling games against lesser teams and not getting hammered by top teams.

Crazy stuff. But that's the minimum expectation for me being ok with Ten Hag staying. Of course we'd love a trophy, but a trophy shouldn't save him anymore if the above isn't met.

Irrespective of the transfers. We're year 3 into the Ten Hag project. It's time to deliver consistency and shut up with the endless list of excuses. Another season where we're barely hitting positive goal difference would destroy my soul.

I have very low expectations for the type of football we're going to play, I expect better results just because we'll have stronger squad. Maybe we can do 5th League position. We will not get far in the Europa League, we'll get out of group stages and everything more is a bonus.

I also expect us to be no higher than 8th until October starts.

Huge improvement in general play/underlying metrics focus and not grinding results out to a shit finish. An actual decent positive goal difference. Competent team play, not conceding 15+ shots per game, controling games against lesser teams and not getting hammered by top teams.

Crazy stuff. But that's the minimum expectation for me being ok with Ten Hag staying. Of course we'd love a trophy, but a trophy shouldn't save him anymore if the above isn't met.
Sorry but what is this based on?
Is this what you actually expect or hope to happen?

Sorry but what is this based on?
Is this what you actually expect or hope to happen?
Sorry I guess misunderstanding. I'm saying this would I guess be my demands of the group and Ten Hag and what I would expect them to deliver, and if not Ten Hag gets replaced.

Not necessarily what I expect will actually happen.

Too much of expectation to expect less injuries?

4th at best in the league, hopefully another trophy won and my choice would be the Europa league.

We'll win the EL just due to the fact that Sevilla aren't in it

I was going to say maybe Emery will drop down into Europa and beat us but remembered that that won't happen under the new format

Yes it is. And we're gonna sign 2-3 more players on top of Zirkzee and de Ligt.
We have not signed anyone yet, and I was simply commenting on our current squad, not some possible squad.

Top 4 at the least.

Liverpool are in transition without Klopp.
Spurs are Spurs. Ange ball is a bit erratic and they only finished 6 points ahead last season.
Doubtful Villa will replicate last seasons form.
Chelsea have a new manager who the jury is out on.
Newcastle finished joint on points with us in our worst ever PL season.

Top 4. Good style of play and Europa league success.

We have not signed anyone yet, and I was simply commenting on our current squad, not some possible squad.

I'm not too impressed by the squads of Newcastle, Villa, Chelsea, Spurs, and even Liverpool. Only City and Arsenal are comfortably ahead of ours at the moment IMO. The others are debatable and the Newcastle-Villa duo have weaker squads than us.

Optimistic. We’ll sign 3 at least. The extras will depend on how much we make on sales.

I'll be shocked if we sign only 3 players.

4 is the absolute minimum and that would be a worst case scenario IMO in regards to Ineos' plans.

It will be 5 or 6, maybe 7 and I don't have too many doubts about that.

I'll be shocked if we sign only 3 players.

4 is the absolute minimum and that would be a worst scenario IMO.

It will be 5-6-7 and I don't have too many doubts about that.
Hope you’re right mate. Obviously the more we can get in the better but obviously with FFP hanging over us. We need to make at least 150-200m in sales. Although 7s pushing it. Can’t think of many teams that have ever signed 7 decent players in 1 window.

I just want to see a cohesive style of play and some consistency. I want to see a team effort on the pitch. I don't expect a tilt at the title but we'd better do better than 8th.

1. Integrate another academy player into the first team.

2. Do not play the insane 4-1-5 formation that effectively ruined our league season, and had a larger effect on the performances and results than the injury crisis.

3. Win a trophy, Europa League is a horrific competition, its incredibly long, tedious, there’s so many games and none of them are ever good, but it was nice winning it 2016, and is a European trophy.
FA Cup is always great to win, wouldn’t mind the Carabao either.
Manchester United is about winning trophies, top 4 isn’t a trophy, competing in the CL isn’t a trophy.

4. Buy well, take however time it may take to make sure we get the signings spot on.

5. Invest in infrastructure and the academy.

6. Play cohesively, as a team, be hard to beat and score against, double pivot.

Hope you’re right mate. Obviously the more we can get in the better but obviously with FFP hanging over us. We need to make at least 150-200m in sales. Although 7s pushing it.

Just selling Greenwood will help us out massively as he's a youth product so will be considered pure profit on the books. There will be more sales as well.

Can’t think of many teams that have ever signed 7 decent players in 1 window.

Chelsea did that a a few times recently, didn't they?

United are 28/1 to be champions...:confused:

IF we were to buy Ugarte, De Ligt, Zirkzee, plus a couple of other quality starters; we ship out the dead wood; get some other decent squad players; Rashford has a 25 goal season; Rasmus kicks on and scores 20-25 in all comps; Mount remembers how to play football and we don't have major injuries are we a million miles away still???

Queue full 100% muppet mode!! :lol::lol:

United are 28/1 to be champions...:confused:

IF we were to buy Ugarte, De Ligt, Zirkzee, plus a couple of other quality starters; we ship out the dead wood; get some other decent squad players; Rashford has a 25 goal season; Rasmus kicks on and scores 20-25 in all comps; Mount remembers how to play football and we don't have major injuries are we a million miles away still???

Queue full 100% muppet mode!! :lol::lol:
Champions is very tough, but if I had any trust in ETH I’d be looking at United to finish in top4 at 3/1.

I'm not too impressed by the squads of Newcastle, Villa, Chelsea, Spurs, and even Liverpool. Only City and Arsenal are comfortably ahead of ours at the moment IMO. The others are debatable and the Newcastle-Villa duo have weaker squads than us.
I think Villa has added to their squad very well, I think we might struggle to finish above them. Liverpool its hard to tell how good the squad is compared to good management, but its also possible they are beyond us.

Improve our defense and to stop giving up easy goals. On the other end, create more chances and improve our GD.

Top 4 would be nice.

Most of the team are working this summer, so not much of a rest and reset. I think we need to buy the right players quickly, and then combine a quick start to the season with some luck regarding injuries.

Get that and I'd expect a comfortable top four, with some proper performance improvements along the way.

If we recruit poorly and start slowly then I imagine we'll be in for another struggle.

But personally I just want some really encouraging performances, ideally multiple performances over a month or two. Something consistent.

Based on the evidence to date, I do not believe that Ten Hag is a good PL manager, so I fear many of the issues we have seen in his first two seasons will reappear. There probably won't be as many injuries, we may have a fit left-back for a significant part of the season, we might even manage a competent away performance at one of the big teams, but overall, I think we will see similar patterns, if not quite as extreme as last season. Hopefully, some of our attacking players will perform a bit better.

Concerned that Ten Hag's favourites may get far more game time than they deserve. Hope Antony gets sold or loaned out this summer because if not, then he's likely to cost us points.

One new signing will look impressive, one will seem ok and the rest will be underwhelming in their first season.

Quite where Mason Mount is meant to play in the team will remain a mystery.
You mean players like Garnacho, Rashford, Bruno, Dalot, Onana? Antony played less minutes than players like Lindelof and Evans who were in and out of the team frequently.

ETH playing 'favorites' is some nonsense peddled on here. He has shown time and again that he is not afraid to drop under performing players.

I think Villa has added to their squad very well, I think we might struggle to finish above them. Liverpool its hard to tell how good the squad is compared to good management, but its also possible they are beyond us.
Nah, Villa will most definitely struggle with CL games midweek. This is something they are going to encounter for the first time in years. We have seen with Newcastle last year how they struggled with those extra games.