Westminster Politics

BREAKINGHalloween fiscal statement delayed to 17 November
The Treasury has just announced that PM Sunak and Chancellor Jeremy Hunt are delaying next Monday's announcement of the medium-term fiscal plan.
The pair "agreed the Autumn Statement will be delivered on 17 November with an OBR forecast. It will contain the UK’s medium term fiscal plan to put public spending on a sustainable footing, get debt falling & restore stability".

Is he your youngest Prime minister ever?
The speed of his rise to the top is quite staggering especially in politics anywhere in the world, he became an MP in 2015, and in 7 years he is head of the country.
For comparison Joe Biden's been in politics for nearly 50 years ,astounding indeed.
He's played his pieces well so far to climb the ladder to the top , he wont be as flamboyant as Boris Johnson or as error prone as Liz Truss, interesting to see what he'll bring to the table as seems to be super ambitious ,doubt he'll make silly mistakes.
Already shown what an arrogant tossbag he is. Yet another shitty Tory appointment regardless of skin colour

BREAKINGHalloween fiscal statement delayed to 17 November
The Treasury has just announced that PM Sunak and Chancellor Jeremy Hunt are delaying next Monday's announcement of the medium-term fiscal plan.
The pair "agreed the Autumn Statement will be delivered on 17 November with an OBR forecast. It will contain the UK’s medium term fiscal plan to put public spending on a sustainable footing, get debt falling & restore stability".

I mean, it's probably to avoid all the bad press. You know, with it being on Halloween and set to impose further Austerity on the public.

I mean, it's probably to avoid all the bad press. You know, with it being on Halloween and set to impose further Austerity on the public.
I'd have been surprised if they kept the same date to be fair. Hunt barely has his feet under the desk let alone Sunak.

Think it is a point that has been raised in this thread before but it absolutely bewilders me how the Cabinet ministerial posts can just be passed around so freely. How can individuals flit from Health Secretary to Chancellor or Education Secretary for example? I know it is just the function of how our government/Parliament works but surely the amount of unqualified people taking these roles is a factor in the rank incompetence that follows?
I agree. Truss appointing her best pal to Health was a good example. Here in Italy where the ultra-right is in power, the Health brief has been given to a medical doctor who is a professor at a university in Rome. Seems like a better choice.

I'd have been surprised if they kept the same date to be fair. Hunt barely has his feet under the desk let alone Sunak.
Yes, hell of a short time to come up with yet another reversal of strategy and have it assessed by the OBR. The uncertainty caused by leaving it longer would be worse though I suppose.

Already shown what an arrogant tossbag he is. Yet another shitty Tory appointment regardless of skin colour
Which Tory candidate had the potential to take the country out of turbulent times? I dint see many top choices floating around.
But as I've said we just have to wait and see what he does even if he says the right things, a lot gets revealed within short time as seen with Truss.

Which Tory candidate had the potential to take the country out of turbulent times? I dint see many top choices floating around.
But as I've said we just have to wait and see what he does even if he says the right things, a lot gets revealed within short time as seen with Truss.

His early tenure will hinge on this

It will be a big win if this works out for them. I mean in relative terms from where Truss had led the country. It's still a Tory mess ultimately.

The fact that he openly admitted to taking money away from poor areas and redistributed to rich areas tells us exactly what type of person he is and whose interests he will be looking after.

I agree. Truss appointing her best pal to Health was a good example. Here in Italy where the ultra-right is in power, the Health brief has been given to a medical doctor who is a professor at a university in Rome. Seems like a better choice.

It should be the way for each office of state. I just don't really know how you'd enforce it without restricting who can stand to be an MP.

Keir hitting him on multiple fronts. Non-Dom, shifting money from poor areas. He's a much better speaker than Truss, but doesn't answer anything.

Rishi seems to be enjoying himself, not answering any of the questions but looks comfortable.

Another reminder of what we're dealing with here...

Charity founded by Jeremy Hunt paid 66% of income to chief executive

Patient Safety Watch paid Hunt’s former adviser Adam Smith more than £110,000 in year to January

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tient-safety-watch-chief-executive-adam-smith

This is just gross. They've basically just set this charity up in order to avoid paying taxes. Meanwhile the Tories spend all their time complaining about how charities should stay out of politics.

Sunak talks better than Truss but he'll just revert back to what he did with furlough whenever anyone challenges his future policies.

Easy to see from this that Starmer was going easy on Truss. An absolute annihilation of Sunak, who had no answers and only bluster. Reminds me of someone...

Putting my own political views aside I think both Starmer and Sunak have performed well today, but of course Sunak has the greater number of cheerers behind him.

Sunak appears much better speaking partially-scripted stuff than he does reading a script for some reason, as someone said (apologies for forgetting who) he might suffer when 'over-preparing' stuff.

The bar is on the floor, so much so that someone that can speak coherently, yet ultimately says nothing the entire time, is now "back to normal" :lol:

Sunak has a number of 'firsts', youngest, (since Pitt the younger) first British Asian and although he was the one who 'wielded the knife' on Boris, he has now got the crown... as far as I am aware that is a first time in Tory party history that the 'political assassin' gets the crown!

He may not be a great PM but could be a lucky one! (Napoleon always preferred lucky Generals)

Starmer is going to have to bring his 'A' game to the GE, but he is shaping up the right way with red wall supporters, just got to get to grips with the Scottish brethren.

This definitely has a post-leadership contest John Major feel to things. The Tories think they're back in the game but I still think they're on borrowed time.

As James O'Brien said - How can Rishi Sunak claim Starmer is out of touch with the public when Sunak himself has had a more privileged upbringing and will never ever has or will face any financial trouble

Confident start from the new PM however he essentially didn't answer the majority of the questions but I guess that's politics.

Not sure that's actually a good thing for him. Boris' shtick worked because he was so ridiculous, it might just come off as off-putting from Rishi.

I know what you mean. Starmer had a lot of content in his previous speeches/PMQ's but looked 'dull' so people discounted it

Sunak is that as well and that's not good. But the bar is so low to actually look like a good PM, if he can do the bare minimum he will convince the idiots

This definitely has a post-leadership contest John Major feel to things. The Tories think they're back in the game but I still think they're on borrowed time.

Absolutely. They've lost most of their newly procured 'red wall' voters with this appointment as well. Most of them think he's a snake who stabbed their beloved Boris in the back. Plus it won't matter who's in charge when they see their next mortgage bill alongside everything else. It won't wash any more just saying "that was the last administration who caused it".

Sunak has a number of 'firsts', youngest, (since Pitt the younger) first British Asian and although he was the one who 'wielded the knife' on Boris, he has now got the crown... as far as I am aware that is a first time in Tory party history that the 'political assassin' gets the crown!

He may not be a great PM but could be a lucky one! (Napoleon always preferred lucky Generals)

Starmer is going to have to bring his 'A' game to the GE, but he is shaping up the right way with red wall supporters, just got to get to grips with the Scottish brethren.
From the comment threads on local newspaper social media posts, which are awash with right wing fogies, there is already a serious disdain for Sunak. His billionaire status is constantly referenced and he doesn't have the rebellious charm of Boris Johnson. I can't see how he'll much appeal to a large voter base of the right wing populace.

Easy to see from this that Starmer was going easy on Truss. An absolute annihilation of Sunak, who had no answers and only bluster. Reminds me of someone...
It's bizarre you drew that conclusion

On the subject of that lying toad De Pfeffel, I again had someone tell me this morning that they liked him because he "was funny and told it like it is". I often thought they just didn't realise he was a liar, but I get now what they actually mean is "He told it like it was to people who I don't like." Like I said the culture wars is all they've got left now so in that context a lot of these cabinet appointments do actually make sense.

Is he your youngest Prime minister ever?
The speed of his rise to the top is quite staggering especially in politics anywhere in the world, he became an MP in 2015, and in 7 years he is head of the country.
For comparison Joe Biden's been in politics for nearly 50 years ,astounding indeed.
He's played his pieces well so far to climb the ladder to the top , he wont be as flamboyant as Boris Johnson or as error prone as Liz Truss, interesting to see what he'll bring to the table as seems to be super ambitious ,doubt he'll make silly mistakes.
He's probably the richest for some time too. I'm sure that helps.

It's bizarre you drew that conclusion

To be fair, whilst it wasn't levels of victory that he got against Truss but it definitely has broken people back into tribes. Conservative people are saying Sunak did incredible and vice versa

My view is that Sunak's victory was just that he didn't fumble. He answered almost 0 questions directly and just repeated what Johnson used to say. Starmer had a lot of points to attack and that allowed Sunak to keep batting off questions with nonsense

To be fair, whilst it wasn't levels of victory that he got against Truss but it definitely has broken people back into tribes. Conservative people are saying Sunak did incredible and vice versa

My view is that Sunak's victory was just that he didn't fumble. He answered almost 0 questions directly and just repeated what Johnson used to say. Starmer had a lot of points to attack and that allowed Sunak to keep batting off questions with nonsense
In his position he's in no position to be able to answer questions. He's been in Downing St <24 hours, he wasn't elected, he wasn't the first choice from his own party, the party as a whole was fragmented and the economy is in the bin.

The best thing he could do was speak without stammering, without being too disrespectful but spin every single question with an unrelated tory win and massage egos in his own party to help unite them. He did exactly that which was an excellent showing.

I'm labour and I won't vote Sunak even though he's a British Asian like myself, but as someone else said Kier Starmer will need to bring his A game to the GE. Rishi will be calculated and politically more astute than his predecessors. I'd punt that he's most likely to unite the Tory party from here on (the braverman move was a political one more than anything else). Winning over the racists in his own party is another matter I guess.

In his position he's in no position to be able to answer questions. He's been in Downing St <24 hours, he wasn't elected, he wasn't the first choice from his own party, the party as a whole was fragmented and the economy is in the bin.

The best thing he could do was speak without stammering, without being too disrespectful but spin every single question with an unrelated tory win and massage egos in his own party to help unite them. He did exactly that which was an excellent showing.

I'm labour and I won't vote Sunak even though he's a British Asian like myself, but as someone else said Kier Starmer will need to bring his A game to the GE. Rishi will be calculated and politically more astute than his predecessors. I'd punt that he's most likely to unite the Tory party from here on (the braverman move was a political one more than anything else). Winning over the racists in his own party is another matter I guess.
Agreed, if he actually answered those questions directly he'd either be admitting he's wrong and a hypocrite or he'd come across as being a bit of a madman depending on his response. Sensible move to waffle about things vaguely related to the questions rather than get backed up in a corner.

It's farcical that someone worth hundreds of millions of pounds can lead a country in which the median salary is £26k. His wife had nondom status here, he has an empty house in Kensington that he leaves empty for when family and friends visit, and he's just reinstated Braverman to Home Secretary. It's more of the same shit.
The thing is, this line of thought would put almost all PMs we’ve ever had into this “farcical” category.

Absolutely. They've lost most of their newly procured 'red wall' voters with this appointment as well. Most of them think he's a snake who stabbed their beloved Boris in the back. Plus it won't matter who's in charge when they see their next mortgage bill alongside everything else. It won't wash any more just saying "that was the last administration who caused it".

Agree with your point about 'newly procured'
Levelling Up was their reward. Not that it is much of a reward. The so called North is not the only areas in need of investment.
But anything north of Watford qualifies as The North to some people.
There is nothing about levelling up that is being applied to the South West for example.

Heard a couple of Labour spokespeople use 'Two tory prime ministers resigned in disgrace' today, obviously the spin they've been given. It's a good one. "Will you be the third tory prime minister to resign in disgrace?" won't get any sensible answer, but it will keep the idea that they all do that in people's minds. Maybe Labour are getting cleverer at last.
Agree with your point about 'newly procured'
Levelling Up was their reward. Not that it is much of a reward. The so called North is not the only areas in need of investment.
But anything north of Watford qualifies as The North to some people.
There is nothing about levelling up that is being applied to the South West for example.
There is no levelling up for anyone full stop. No meaningful investment to reverse decades of unfair spending. No equalisation of spending now. It is merely spin for idiots.