Westminster Politics

Who watched the BBC documentary about how corrupt this regime is and how much bribes we pay to these cnuts?
My tax and yours is funding this shite.
Tons of pro saudi adverts in the papers as well(Including the Guardian)

I just got a pro-Saudi ad on the Caf :lol:

Let the peasants starve! Sigh! :(
They should aspire to be born into richer families, that's all. This is a good policy and why we need the Tories. Only they are willing to stand up and support our children by motivating them to be less poor. /utter toss

29244249_10160170081410707_3824707426930655232_n.jpg

Tory Britain

Stalin was busy doing other stuff that year.

I posted it as a interesting piece of history rather than you know, a defence of Stalin(Hair cut aside he seemed to be a very very rude individual)

Last edited:
Stalin was busy doing other stuff that year.

Tbf to him, Soviet policy regarding Nazi Germany was generally bad ('SPD are social fascists who we shouldn't align with" and of course the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact) but they were the only major country trying to get the west to shut Hitler's militarisation down. And were repeatedly turned down. In fact, Stalin proposed a joint invasion of Nazi Germany alongside Britain and France: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...Hitler-if-Britain-and-France-agreed-pact.html (just before signing the pact)

Give Boris 160000 quid & he'll play in Russia instead of the England team.

A small point but that was a friendly rather than the Olympics. “England” don’t compete in the Olympics.
Yeah the vice article says that it was a tour of Europe(I'm a bit shite with Twitter so I couldn't get the right tweet posted although I sort of have now)

Owen Smith sacked. Funny old position for Labour, a pro-Brexit leader leading a party with an anti-Brexit supporter base who spend his whole life rebelling against the party leadership who's now sacking people for not toeing the line.

Owen Smith sacked. Funny old position for Labour, a pro-Brexit leader leading a party with an anti-Brexit supporter base who spend his whole life rebelling against the party leadership who's now sacking people for not toeing the line.
Not really, Corbyn wasn't a front bencher when he was rebelling against his leader(s).

Not really, Corbyn wasn't a front bencher when he was rebelling against his leader(s).

Obviously that's right, but it's just depressing that Smith's line today was a 'rebellion' and not the official party line.

Oh okay. Which explains your complete tolerance for rebellious backbench MPs and your total opposition to any notion of them being thrown out or deselected?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh okay. Which explains your complete tolerance for rebellious backbench MPs and your total opposition to any notion of them being thrown out or deselected?

Thanks for clearing that up.
Do you know how the front bench works?

Indeed, and a 2nd referendum was supported by the 2016 Labour conference in a vote

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...jeremy-corbyn-owen-smith-motion-a7332836.html
Now point it out in the manifesto Owen was reelected on last summer.

Truth is Corbyn is a life-long Brexiter and him being the leader of the "opposition" at a time when we're heading for a disastrous hard, Tory-led Brexit he's perfectly happy to see, is arguably the biggest political betrayal of the young people of this country in generations.

Only difference between Corbyn and Farage is that one is honest about wanting to drive this country off a cliff for ideological reasons and the other is wonderfully principled and pretends he doesn't.

Didn't have much choice but to sack him.

Do you know how the front bench works?

Now point it out in the manifesto Owen was reelected on last summer.

Why do we have to get dogmatic about this?

Corbyn's shtick since he's been elected leader is that he is a representative of the membership, and has advocated movements to give the membership more power in the past. The Labour membership is overwhelmingly pro-remain, as are Labour voters in general, but the furthest Corbyn has been willing to go to appease those two groups has been to advocate for 'a' Customs Union post-Brexit.

I'm generally in favour of Corbyn, and I would be in favour of a Labour Brexit over a Tory Brexit, but no Brexit is preferable to either and I think Corbyn is deliberately standing in the way of that despite the wishes of the groups he's made it his point to empower.

This isn't a cult or a football team, and we don't have to unconditionally support Labour, we can simply admit that Corbyn's wrong on this.

Corbyn's shtick since he's been elected leader is that he is a representative of the membership, and has advocated movements to give the membership more power in the past. The Labour membership is overwhelmingly pro-remain, as are Labour voters in general, but the furthest Corbyn has been willing to go to appease those two groups has been to advocate for 'a' Customs Union post-Brexit.

I'm generally in favour of Corbyn, and I would be in favour of a Labour Brexit over a Tory Brexit, but no Brexit is preferable to either and I think Corbyn is deliberately standing in the way of that despite the wishes of the groups he's made it his point to empower.

This isn't a cult or a football team, and we don't have to unconditionally support Labour, we can simply admit that Corbyn's wrong on this.

Having said that, there is something inherently hilarious about thinking the solution to a referendum result you didn't like is another referendum. "We'll win this one".

What is dogmatic about citing the very document every single current Labour MP was elected on (and indeed the policy unanimously adopted at the 2016 Labour conference) is the exact opposite of Owen Smith's statement, hence him being removed from the shadow cabinet? If you're a shadow cabinet member and you want to stand against party policy, you're more than free to do so from the very place Corbyn did it for years, the back bench.

I do wonder how history will judge Labour's and Corbyn's role in this if Brexit does happen and if it is the disaster many fear. Will they/he be seen as the opposition who crushed the government's saboteurs for them?

Whatever you think of Corbyn a leader of a party so vehemently opposed to something he supports will surely make an interesting footnote the the Brexit story in years to come.

I'd prefer a Labour Brexit to a Tory Brexit if I had to choose out of the two. But my first choice would be no Brexit at all, I think I'm in line with the majority of the membership on that. Perversely I think if given an ultimatum, Corbyn would choose Tory Brexit over rethinking the whole mess.

I do wonder how history will judge Labour's and Corbyn's role in this if Brexit does happen and if it is the disaster many fear. Will they/he be seen as the opposition who crushed the government's saboteurs for them?

Whatever you think of Corbyn a leader of a party so vehemently opposed to something he supports will surely make an interesting footnote the the Brexit story in years to come*

I'd prefer a Labour Brexit to a Tory Brexit if I had to choose out of the two. But my first choice would be no Brexit at all, I think I'm in line with the majority of the membership on that. Perversely I think if given an ultimatum, Corbyn would choose Tory Brexit over rethinking the whole mess.
*If you choose to ignore the document they fought the last election on.

I'm just saying it's an interesting dynamic. We have a PM who is hell bent on delivering a hard Brexit and an opposition leader hell bent on preventing anyone from stopping a hard Brexit. The performance art is in the pretence there's anything ideologically between Corbyn, Boris etc al on the issue.

I'm just saying it's an interesting dynamic. We have a PM who is hell bent on delivering a hard Brexit and an opposition leader hell bent on preventing anyone from stopping a hard Brexit. The performance art is in the pretence there's anything ideologically between Corbyn, Boris etc al on the issue.
If by interesting you mean nonexistent, then yes.

What is dogmatic about citing the very document every single current Labour MP was elected on (and indeed the policy unanimously adopted at the 2016 Labour conference) is the exact opposite of Owen Smith's statement, hence him being removed from the shadow cabinet? If you're a shadow cabinet member and you want to stand against party policy, you're more than free to do so from the very place Corbyn did it for years, the back bench.

Labour aren't bound by their manifesto (which is damn right lucky because their manifesto promised a 'cake and eat it style' Brexit which had freedom of movement ending and the UK within the single market still) and the current party's position is capable of being moulded based upon current evidence. Treating the manifesto as a constitution, or worse some kind of sacred text, is patently nonsense – especially when it was awfully vague on this area.

And seeing as all evidence suggests that Brexit is a disaster that will hit the poorest in society hardest, and is opposed by Labour supporters and voters at large, it seems to me downright disingenuous that Corbyn's policy can be anything other than 'scrap the whole bleeding lot of it' if he is claiming to represent the groups he claims to represent.

Whilst Smith's intervention today saw him rightly sacked, as we acknowledged right at the start, I can't see how any discussion of it can happen without acknowledging that Smith is clearly much more on the pulse of what Labour members want than Corbyn at this point in time – for a man whose made it his priority to represent those views on the national stage, being in a position where he is forced into sacking someone for speaking for the membership is a pretty poor look.

This was all obvious at the last election though. People basically chose to ignore it and vote based on domestic policies. It is what it is.

Who could have guessed that trying to appease the people who wanted him gone would end up like this?
I image it comes down to simple numbers, if got Corbyn only filled position with people that he can trust then there would be plenty of empty slots. I still think Corbyn is being way to nice to what is essentially a incredibly stupid and small group of people.

This was all obvious at the last election though. People basically chose to ignore it and vote based on domestic policies. It is what it is.

I'm not sure it was clear. Corbyn seems to have been quite successful in convincing people he's against a Tory Brext without actually doing anything much to oppose a Tory Brexit. I'd wager many people who voted Labour would be surprised how little difference there is between Corbyn and Rees-Mogg on the fundamentals of Brexit.