Westminster Politics 2024-2029

I've heard that it could drive investment away from the country. Because landlords are famous for doing things other than get renters to pay their mortgages for them.

I've also heard that many renters like the idea of being forced to rent in perpetuity, forever paying off their landlord's mortgage for them.

I mean let's be honest we're going to end up in a scenario where the papers spin it so badly that people who barely have a chance of owning one house in their lifetime, let alone two, will be furious with rage.

The online Left shocked and surprised at this

Its a whole bunch of hot air. Labour have always claimed to push the ceasefire angle, but as always with Starmer it's all stipulations and caveats which makes it sound more promising than it is. In essence it's not all that different from the Tory or even US stance.

The real test is whether he follows Spain, Norway, Ireland and also what looks to be France in immediately recognising a Palestinian state. That's the real acid test as to whether he's serious about long term peace in the region. Otherwise it's superficial lip service.

The dream. Unfortunately the frothing from the elites and therefore the papers means I could never see this happening.
Not just the elites or the papers but -

We now find ourselves in a situation where one in every 21 adults in the UK is a landlord. We have four times as many landlords as teachers. As a consequence, virtually everyone struggles to afford a home that meets their needs despite a net gain in housing stock

https://theguardian.com/lifeandstyl...risingly-simple-solution-to-uk-housing-crisis
Unless power and actual houses are taken away from landlords nothing will really change.

Starmer told Abbas (and then a representative has publicly repeated it, thus putting it on official record) that he will push for a ceasefire, recognise a Palestinian state, a two party solution alongside Israel and increase financial support for the Palestinian Authority, but you come out and say that he's gaslighting folk. Hmm.

Anything positive to say about the things Labour have done in the last couple of days, or is it all terrible? Please "gaslight" me by telling me how I should feel about all of the news.

Yes, I am really positive about the changes they promised or already have done. I did not expect to act so quickly on the Rwanda thing. But specially (as a healthcare professional and once a junior doctor) the the positive willingness to negotiate with the Junior doctors. But I still have concerns about the unclear strategy and the model of privatization of the NHS. Listen, I am not British and do not live in the UK at the moment but I lived many years of my childhood in the UK and consider it my second place in Europe, I still have family and friends there that I visit at least once a year. It is not totally illogical of me to be interested more in the international UK politics (as I am not permanently living in the UK), but of course I care about everything else. I wish nothing but the best for the people there and every time I visit I feel very welcomed compared to many other European nations.

Disallow multi-home ownership. This alone would free up between 10-15% of demand.
Set mandatory housing targets for local authorities (labour will do this).
Build high-quality, high-density housing on vacant and derelict land within high-population areas.
Increase social housing %age requirements for new build sites.

A lot of of what Labour is suggesting goes completely against modern conventional thought on approaching the nature/biodiversity crisis.
It’s really difficult to ban multi-house ownership. There is huge companies which are landlord to thousands of people - do they cease to exist? If you ban it on a personal level, people register companies if they for some reason haven’t already.

If you actually successfully ban it, the glut of houses going onto the market would cause a crash like never seen before with normal home owners left with negative equity thus locking them into the property they currently live indefinitely.

You could ban future multi-ownership but It needs real thought as these things inevitably have side effects that are not apparent at the time of legislation. What happens with inherited housing for example?

Its a whole bunch of hot air. Labour have always claimed to push the ceasefire angle, but as always with Starmer it's all stipulations and caveats which makes it sound more promising than it is. In essence it's not all that different from the Tory or even US stance.

The real test is whether he follows Spain, Norway, Ireland and also what looks to be France in immediately recognising a Palestinian state. That's the real acid test as to whether he's serious about long term peace in the region. Otherwise it's superficial lip service.
Is it? All seems pretty symbolic stuff to me. Surely the acid test is Israel's recognition of a Palestinian state.

It's an issue that really needs firm action by a strong labour government. Leasehold is long past its sell-by date but doesn't get enough publicity.

Yes leasehold should be outlawed and the freeholds turned over, but the lords is full of cnuts who are making a killing from their inheritances and the ground rents

Is it? All seems pretty symbolic stuff to me. Surely the acid test is Israel's recognition of a Palestinian state.

I'm not a fan of 'acid tests' in general. It's better to just see if people's lives get better in my opinion.

Not just the elites or the papers but -

Unless power and actual houses are taken away from landlords nothing will really change.

Can't we just build some new houses, instead of fiddling around at the edges of the problem? Supply and demand and all that?

The dream. Unfortunately the frothing from the elites and therefore the papers means I could never see this happening.

This would be a dream. Even though i'd like to be a landlord at some point (have a little money to invest), feck people like me if it means my kids can get homes at affordable prices. feck all of us.

This would be a dream. Even though i'd like to be a landlord at some point (have a little money to invest), feck people like me if it means my kids can get homes at affordable prices. feck all of us.

At it's core, the idea that some people are homeless and others own multiple houses (with a lot just left empty) is just gross.

Yet Israel was recognised by many countries as far back as 48 without a 2 state solution or agreement by the Palestinians. Why?

At it's core, the idea that some people are homeless and others own multiple houses (with a lot just left empty) is just gross.
is it possible to get threadmarks for policy announcements or significant stuff? or is that too much work?

I get that, I've certainly got no enthusiasm for landlords and I don't think landlordism is economically particularly economically healthy, but the basic structural problem is a lacking of housing, not who owns which houses. That Guardian article just gets a lot of basic stuff wrong, according to people whose opinions I respect.

Also, supply and demand innit.

It's an issue that really needs firm action by a strong labour government. Leasehold is long past its sell-by date but doesn't get enough publicity.

Agreed. It's an issue that would genuinely impact a lot of people's lives in a positive way but unfortunately comes against some very deep vested interests and isn't sexy, immediate or headline grabbing.

Yet Israel was recognised by many countries as far back as 48 without a 2 state solution or agreement by the Palestinians. Why?
I don't know, it just seems slight absurdist to me. Countries with no leverage whatsoever publicly demonstrate their impotence. Let's all do it! It's an acid test.

is it possible to get threadmarks for policy announcements or significant stuff? or is that too much work?

If we see it I guess but I or other mods might just not be in this thread for a bit and miss stuff.

Can't we just build some new houses, instead of fiddling around at the edges of the problem? Supply and demand and all that?
From the article
Here, as in the US, we have been lured into a fruitless debate about supply. There is a confected dispute between anti-housebuilding “nimbys” and pro-housebuilding “yimbys”, led by energetic planning-law abolitionists, which seeks to distract us from talking about the ultimate sources of the housing crisis. The supply issue continues to dominate the discourse despite the US having more homes per capita than at any point in its history, and the UK’s homes-per-capita ratio actually exceeds the US’s.

The yimby argument has always seemed flimsy. Its strange logic is that speculative developers would build homes in order to devalue them: that they would somehow act against their own interests by producing enough surplus homes to bring down the average price of land and housing. That would be surprisingly philanthropic behaviour.

When we complain, rightly, that cities such as Vienna are so much more livable than anywhere in Britain, we must acknowledge that landlordism is holding us back. Our insistence on pursuing policies that ensure that letting private property is an “economic proposition” not only drives up prices for would-be homeowners, but it stands in direct opposition to a programme of municipalising and decommodifying the homes that already exist. It also inflates land values, making new state-led building projects unfeasible. If we want a Viennese-style existence we can only achieve this, as we did 50 years ago, by driving the landlords out. Which is only fair: we have given them a very good innings.

I don’t agree with all of it but the power of landlords should be taken seriously. Although a party endorsed by The Sun isn’t going to change much.

Agreed. It's an issue that would genuinely impact a lot of people's lives in a positive way but unfortunately comes against some very deep vested interests and isn't sexy, immediate or headline grabbing.

It will be very interesting to see if any reform of the Lords happens too.

Would like to see some kind of scaling tax, the more properties you own, the higher the % goes up. Not sure how you make it workable though. Means people who come into an extra home through parents passing etc pay less than property barons just hoovering up property for their 'portfolios'

I don't know, it just seems slight absurdist to me. Countries with no leverage whatsoever publicly demonstrate their impotence. Let's all do it! It's an acid test.

God knows why anyone ever bothers doing anything ever on the international stage beyond the USA, USSR/Russia and now China I guess.

In fact, why do we bother with international meetings, delegations, recognitions of new countries or anything of the sort?

It will be very interesting to see if any reform of the Lords happens too.

I'd hope so. It's a shame they dropped the comittment to scrap the Lords this Parliament for a nebulous plan to try to do next cycle if they win again.

Likely because they didn't want to waste political capital on it, particularly when it raises the constitutional question of what checks and balances we'd have then, considering we'd have one elected body, with essentially unlimited power if they win a victory like this one.....and nothing else.

A seemingly quick and logical thing, which I would vote for tomorrow if I could, would become a big question about how we want our whole political system to look.

Homeowners should not be able to own a second home that they use as an Airbnb, but I don't see why you can't own a holiday home for your own use. When I was renting in Florence it got so bad that the City banned all new Airbnb permits. I've seen that there are some seaside towns here in the UK that have a similar problem.

I'd hope so. It's a shame they dropped the comittment to scrap the Lords this Parliament for a nebulous plan to try to do next cycle if they win again.

Likely because they didn't want to waste political capital on it, particularly when it raises the constitutional question of what checks and balances we'd have then, considering we'd have one elected body, with essentially unlimited power if they win a victory like this one.....and nothing else.

A seemingly quick and logical thing, which I would vote for tomorrow if I could, would become a big question about how we want our whole political system to look.
Adding a retirement age and phasing out the hereditary peers is a small step forward.

Homeowners should not be able to own a second home that they use as an Airbnb, but I don't see why you can't own a holiday home for your own use. When I was renting in Florence it got so bad that the City banned all new Airbnb permits. I've seen that there are some seaside towns here in the UK that have a similar problem.
But surely a holiday home is even worse as it would be completely empty most of the time? Both uses mean a house isn’t available for local people, but at least an Airbnb would be contributing to the local economy.

Rural communities have been decimated by holiday homes.

I'm up for a war with the House of Lords

Thankfully, the final boss of housing reform opposition, Theresa Villiers, is gone and hopefully we'll never have to see her ghastly face and influence ever again.

But surely a holiday home is even worse as it would be completely empty most of the time? Both uses mean a house isn’t available for local people, but at least an Airbnb would be contributing to the local economy.

The number of people who can afford a holiday home has increased dramatically because they make it work with Airbnb income. Same here in London. Airbnb is a great idea but it needs to be severely limited.