Weird feelings of football

Is there any black ref reffing elite European matches?
I remember Uriah Rennie (the PL ref) way back in the day. He was on the FIFA list for a few years, but I don't think he reffed any international tournaments.

There are three factors in play in an international tournament for winning a penalty shootout. In order of importance they are as follows.
1) winning the coin toss / taking first penalty.
2) being the better seeded team
3) if the first two apply then losing the last shootout in the tournament improves your chances further.

If all three of the above occur you are almost certainly going to win the shootout but likewise the opposite is true if you are the lower seeded team taking the second penalty and won your last shootout you're pretty much screwed.

The parents of young promising footballers buy their sons 10 or 15 football shirts, one shirt for each of the top clubs in Europe. When they inevitably sign for one of those clubs the player releases a picture of them wearing that clubs shirt as a child and they can then claim that they have always been a lifelong fan of that club.

Reactions: Jippy
There are three factors in play in an international tournament for winning a penalty shootout. In order of importance they are as follows.
3) if the first two apply then losing the last shootout in the tournament improves your chances further.

If all three of the above occur you are almost certainly going to win the shootout but likewise the opposite is true if you are the lower seeded team taking the second penalty and won your last shootout you're pretty much screwed.

...It was really weird in the last Euro that Cristiano winning the toss opted to shoot second

Sorry but there's one factor not listed here that makes all of these redundant, score them and you'll never lose

Until about 3, years, there was never a player called Fofana; now the market seems to be inundated with Fofanas.

Until about 3, years, there was never a player called Fofana; now the market seems to be inundated with Fofanas.

It was the same with Traore. And they all seemed to be left footed.

Last edited:
I'm Eric Laporte used to be French and just randomly changed to Spanish mid way through his career and no one asked any questions about it, and he's also possibly Argentinian.

I like developing wild theories based on very little evidence and flimsy research to come up with possible reasons for stuff.

Apparently the name Fofana comes from the Fofana clan of the Soninke people so it will be a common name in a particular area. The Soninke people are in west Mali, right along Mauritania's southern border with a little presence in Mauritania itself and in eastern Senegal.

I wonder if football came later to that part of Mali and/or there was a sudden improvement in facilities or opportunities to play at a particular period in time and it's bearing fruit now?

Alternatively, perhaps the Soninke people were happy and just chilling there until there was a wave of people leaving that area at some point in time? Migration patterns for one reason or another. A lot of the Fofana footballers have Ivory Coast links as well instead of just Mali. Could it be that a bunch of Fofanas all left at one point, headed for the Ivory Coast and now their children, grandchildren or great grandchildren are coming through at once? Theoreticallly possible if everything was timed right.

Last edited:
I'm Eric Laporte used to be French and just randomly changed to Spanish mid way through his career and no one asked any questions about it, and he's also possibly Argentinian.
I like how you start refering to yourself in 3rd person after the introduction.

It must be annoying for him every time he meets another Eric

"Hi I'm Eric"
"How do you know my name?"
"No I'm called Eric"
"Oh. Hi Eric, Aymeric"
"Hi Eric"
"No, Aymeric"
"Yes and I'm Eric too"
"No AYM-eric"
"Yes but I am also called Eric"

There's never been a blonde English referee.

There has been a blonde referee in the champions league for five years.

Actually, has there ever been a ginger referee?

In the last two years or so Chelsea have signed about 20 french defenders.

Chelsea have more players with the letter K in their name than any club ever has before.

Mikhailo Mudryk, Noni Madueke, Nicolas Jackson, Lesley Ugochukwu, Carney Chukwuemeka, Christopher Nkunku, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Omari Kellyman, Kepa Arrizabalaga, Romelu Lukaku, Mike Penders (about to sign?).

They also love lots of vowels.

Last edited:
Chelsea have more players with the letter K in their name than any club ever has before.

Mikhailo Mudryk, Noni Madueke, Nicolas Jackson, Lesley Ugochukwu, Carney Chukwuemeka, Christopher Nkunku, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Omari Kellyman, Kepa Arrizabalaga, Romelu Lukaku, Mike Penders (about to sign?).

They also love lots of vowels.

Pick any letter in the alphabet and we'd also have the most of that, to be fair.