Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooney is like the Christopher Nolan of footballers: A good director sure, but certainly not a great one, and yet whose militant fan-base is so blindly impassioned with anything he touches that it's impossible to reason with them that he's anything other than one of the greatest filmmakers in the world. Every legitimate flaw that's raised is excused away to keep him atop the pedestal.

He has a militant fan base?

Rooney is a bigger name, probably a bit cheaper, and perhaps United are more willing to part with Rooney...at least Moyes has potential replacements for Rooney already in his team, how does Liverpool replace a world class forward?

They somehow buy one then put him up for sale straight away?

I don't think he really wants to leave. I think it was the last play made by SAF. Making him realize the implication of going against the club.

Rooney is like the Christopher Nolan of footballers: A good director sure, but certainly not a great one, and yet whose militant fan-base is so blindly impassioned with anything he touches that it's impossible to reason with them that he's anything other than one of the greatest filmmakers in the world. Every legitimate flaw that's raised is excused away to keep him atop the pedestal.
This is possibly the shittest, most idiotic post I've read on the Caf. I'll probably be infracted for this post, but I feel it was worth it. What a big steaming turd you just dumped out in this thread. Well done, sir.

This is possibly the shittest, most idiotic post I've read on the Caf. I'll probably be infracted for this post, but I feel it was worth it. What a big steaming turd you just dumped out in this thread. Well done, sir.

Why? It's almost impossible to get a balanced opinion about either Rooney or Nolan from their "fanboys". It has nothing to do with Rooney or Nolan themselves.

Why? It's almost impossible to get a balanced opinion about either Rooney or Nolan from their "fanboys". It has nothing to do with Rooney or Nolan themselves.
Read the fecking thread, for a start. Militant fan-base? Where? Point them out. Reading this thread you'd think Wayne Rooney was no better than your average pub player. This thread highlights the complete opposite of fanboyism. Every misplaced pass or underwhelming performance is met with cries of derision, or calls that he's a fat, useless, Scouse wanker and we should just get rid, anywhere, for any amount. And replace him with anything that can fit into a pair of boots. As long as they're Spanish. Or foreign at least. With technique. Which the fat cnut hasn't got.

Read the fecking thread, for a start. Militant fan-base? Where? Point them out. Reading this thread you'd think Wayne Rooney was no better than your average pub player. This thread highlights the complete opposite of fanboyism. Every misplaced pass or underwhelming performance is met with cries of derision, or calls that he's a fat, useless, Scouse wanker and we should just get rid, anywhere, for any amount. And replace him with anything that can fit into a pair of boots. As long as they're Spanish. Or foreign at least. With technique. Which the fat cnut hasn't got.

Aye, this thread is tragic TN

I had indeed been reading this thread - for months - but I gave up a while back as a result of its hyperbole. I revisited it last night to see if anything had changed and nothing had, so I guess I should probably stop reading it again(!)

The tone of any discussion around Rooney always feels aggressive. I recall a comment in the matchday thread for Madrid vs United where someone said remarked Rooney had looked out of his depth, and I found myself agreeing. But this poster was immediately told to "feck off". And this, I'm afraid, is what I consistently notice. There's a faction of United fans who ardently defend Rooney's ability regardless, insisting he's one of the best players in the world. I cannot think of another player at United whose ability is so exaggerated and vehemently defended as it is with Rooney's, even if it's done so by a minority. This is where my Nolan observation came from (see 'Nolanites').

Now, Rooney gets his fair share of vitriol, like you say, as there's extremists at the other end of the scale. I think the reality is somewhere inbetween, but when everyone's in the same thread, opinion is so polarized and aggressive that it's hard to have any reasonable discussion on the player. I will add though, regarding getting rid of him to anywhere, it's a perfectly valid sentiment if people feel this way because he's disrespected the club. Rooney has twice come across as thinking he is bigger than the club, and it's at the behest of each fan to forgive him or not. Many will not and that's not for anyone to disagree with. Fool me once, shame on you etc.

I had indeed been reading this thread - for months - but I gave up a while back as a result of its hyperbole. I revisited it last night to see if anything had changed and nothing had, so I guess I should probably stop reading it again(!)

The tone of any discussion around Rooney always feels aggressive. I recall a comment in the matchday thread for Madrid vs United where someone said remarked Rooney had looked out of his depth, and I found myself agreeing. But this poster was immediately told to "feck off". And this, I'm afraid, is what I consistently notice. There's a faction of United fans who ardently defend Rooney's ability regardless, insisting he's one of the best players in the world. I cannot think of another player at United whose ability is so exaggerated and vehemently defended as it is with Rooney's, even if it's done so by a minority. This is where my Nolan observation came from (see 'Nolanites').

Now, Rooney gets his fair share of vitriol, like you say, as there's extremists at the other end of the scale. I think the reality is somewhere inbetween, but when everyone's in the same thread, opinion is so polarized and aggressive that it's hard to have any reasonable discussion on the player. I will add though, regarding getting rid of him to anywhere, it's a perfectly valid sentiment if people feel this way because he's disrespected the club. Rooney has twice come across as thinking he is bigger than the club, and it's at the behest of each fan to forgive him or not. Many will not and that's not for anyone to disagree with. Fool me once, shame on you etc.
Very good post! Worth to read twice.

I don't agree with anything of this. In every forum there are idiots and militant supporters but they are often easy to ignore. Your last part in particular say's everything about your own opinion. IMO decent posters care for the club, nationality and color of skin is totally irrelevant.

Well put.

Couldn't agree more TN.

Well put.

You might agree with that post but you fall into the "vitriolic.. extremist at the other end of the scale" category. You're not in here providing the balanced viewpoint in the middle of the polarised opinions that the post you agreed with was suggesting was the reality.

You might agree with that post but you fall into the "vitriolic.. extremist at the other end of the scale" category. You're not in here providing the balanced viewpoint in the middle of the polarised opinions that the post you agreed with was suggesting was the reality.

Meh, I'm on the other end of the scale but I wouldn't describe myself as vitriolic or extremist. I recognise the good qualities Rooney has, but I'll also say that many of his other abilities are grossly overrated on here.

I do find it funny that any kind of criticism levelled at Rooney is usually branded as "disgraceful", like he should be immune from it.

Meh, I'm on the other end of the scale but I wouldn't describe myself as vitriolic or extremist. I recognise the good qualities Rooney has, but I'll also say that many of his other abilities are grossly overrated on here.

I do find it funny that any kind of criticism levelled at Rooney is usually branded as "disgraceful", like he should be immune from it.

I'm sure you find it funny but it works both ways. You never provide a balanced opinion on the "good qualities" you claim to recognise and only usually appear in here when ever anyone compliments him to pour scorn on the fat ungrateful greedy cnut because you and Sparky can't handle him being complimented too much. This thread has been ridiculous for months.

I have no idea why we can't flog him to Madrid. Madrid are in "desperate need" of a big name signing after Barca just bought Neymar and there is all this uncertainty on Ronaldo, also Bale looks unlikely this year too. Rooney is a huge name in world football and would be considered a galactico signing.

Ideally though, if Ronaldo does want to leave then money + Rooney would slightly soften the blow for them.

I'm sure you find it funny but it works both ways. You never provide a balanced opinion on the "good qualities" you claim to recognise and only usually appear in here when ever anyone compliments him to pour scorn on the fat ungrateful greedy cnut because you and Sparky can't handle him being complimented too much. This thread has been ridiculous for months.

Nice bit of irony there.

Is it complete madness that I'm not really bothered if Wayne stays or leaves, simply because I put all of my hopes and believes in Kagawa?

Pot calling the kettle black.

I barely post in here anymore because there is no constructive discussion and a lot of going round in circles. It's just strange to see you agreeing with a post suggesting that the reality is somewhere in between the polarised views when you are one of Rooney's biggest detractors in this thread showing up without exception when something even remotely pro Rooney is said to shoot it down.

I barely post in here anymore because there is no constructive discussion and a lot of going round in circles. It's just strange to see you agreeing with a post suggesting that the reality is somewhere in between the polarised views when you are one of Rooney's biggest detractors in this thread showing up without exception when something even remotely pro Rooney is said to shoot it down.

Why is it odd to agree with it when it's clearly true?

Some of the stuff about Wazza being this and that is obviously down to his asking for transfers because he really is a quality player and if he can buckle down get his head right I hope he stays cause he is quality!

Well from a logical standpoint you're not helping yourself much either because you're on the other end of the spectrum defending Wayne. You have only solidified the polarisation within yourself and other people. Woosh

Well, if the reality is "somewhere inbetween" then your first post was bollocks then, since that isn't at all what you suggested.

Well from a logical standpoint you're not helping yourself much either because you're on the other end of the spectrum defending Wayne. You have only solidified the polarisation within yourself and other people. Woosh

I said it was odd that he agreed with a post that said "I think the reality is somewhere inbetween" when Zen86's posts are clearly not in between they lean very far to one side of the discussion and he admitted that he posts to "equal it out a bit" which is obvious.

I've barely posted in here recently because its the same cyclic discussion.

I said it was odd that he agreed with a post that said "I think the reality is somewhere inbetween" when Zen86's posts are clearly not in between they lean very far to one side of the discussion and he admitted that he posts to "equal it out a bit" which is obvious.

I've barely posted in here recently because its the same cyclic discussion.
You're not seeing it. You can agree with someone's viewpoint even when it doesnt entirely reflect your own. If you make a case for Rooney with some good points, then some people may be inclined to agree with you even if they view Rooney in a different light.

It doesn't matter if you havent posted in here recently. What matters is that you have and the content of your posts suggest you are on the other side of the spectrum.

A lot of the people posting on this thread who have supported Rooney have acknowledged his failings:

Needs to improve his fitness
Had an average season despite his stats

But when you have dicks saying "Rooney offers very little when he isn't scoring or assisting" or "What a fat scouse cnut. I've been waiting 9 years to see him leave" or "Rooney holds back our team" etc.. then there is little room for constructive discussion and the immediate reaction from those supporting Rooney is to slide to the other end of spectrum.

You're not seeing it. You can agree with someone's viewpoint even when it doesnt entirely reflect your own. If you make a case for Rooney with some good points, then some people may be inclined to agree with you even if they view Rooney in a different light.

It doesn't matter if you havent posted in here recently. What matters is that you have and the content of your posts suggest you are on the other side of the spectrum.

My narrative has always been that whilst Rooney hasn't had the best of seasons its not been as bad as some in this thread make out. Not a staunch defence of him come what may. The reason I decided to post less in here is because I realised that to counter extremely one-sided views you often have to go too far on the other side. I certainly don't come in here frequently belittling or shooting down criticism of Rooney and if I did I wouldn't be agreeing with a post stating that opinions in here are too aggressive and extremely polarised on both sides when the reality is in the middle.

A lot of the people posting on this thread who have supported Rooney have acknowledged his failings:

Needs to improve his fitness
Had an average season despite his stats

But when you have dicks saying "Rooney offers very little when he isn't scoring or assisting" or "What a fat scouse cnut. I've been waiting 9 years to see him leave" or "Rooney holds back our team" etc.. then there is little room for constructive discussion and the immediate reaction from those supporting Rooney is to slide to the other end of spectrum.

Indeed.

Ah, so those 'supporting' Rooney are all objective and level headed, and those who aren't supporting him think "What a fat scouse cnut. I've been waiting 9 years to see him leave".

Good job.

Ah, so those 'supporting' Rooney are all objective and level headed, and those who aren't supporting him think "What a fat scouse cnut. I've been waiting 9 years to see him leave".

Good job.

yep that's what I said:rolleyes:

Good job.

Good reflection of your posts in this thread actually

We should stick him at right back seeing how much he loves to play out of position.

Cold hearted professional when it comes to money, anything but in all other areas of life.

cnut.

I agree. Give Rooney a break, think how many fags and beers he's put away in that time.

Auf wiedersehen, fatso :smirk:

You go beyond trying to provide a valid counter argument to stimulate discussion and don't acknowledge the other side at all.

Anyway there's nothing new in here so I'll probably stay out until there is anything worthwhile to discuss.

Regardless of the pro and contra arguments...why hasn't he come out & said that he wants to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.