Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooney and his people are not denying that he asked to leave the club which is how SAF phrased it in his initial interview.

Whilst we are clearing things up, "as he sought assurances about his future" translates as play me where i want and no Welbeck against Madrid otherwise i'm off.

It's getting interesting now. Both sides taking swipes. The fact SAF made it public simply forced Rooney's camp to say something. Obviously someone isn't telling the full truth. I don't see this situation lasting long though. Moyes cant really afford to have a saga with his first season in charge. Hence, why I suspect Rooney will stay. I think if SAF was still at the helm, it probably would have been different.

Ferguson's autobiography comes out in October, suppose we won't know 'til then who said what and what the feck actually happened when Rooney asked to leave.

It's getting interesting now. Both sides taking swipes. The fact SAF made it public simply forced Rooney's camp to say something. Obviously someone isn't telling the full truth. I don't see this situation lasting long though. Moyes cant really afford to have a saga with his first season in charge. Hence, why I suspect Rooney will stay. I think if SAF was still at the helm, it probably would have been different.

But why is Rooney staying in that scenario? This disagreement with SAF isn't merely a clash of personalities but by all accounts Wayne wanting to start instead of a team mate whether this be positionally or outright.

But why is Rooney staying in that scenario? This disagreement with SAF isn't merely a clash of personalities but by all accounts Wayne wanting to start instead of a team mate whether this be positionally or outright.

Not by all accounts. By Rooney's account, he just wanted to find out whether he was still in the manager's plans or not. Hardly storming in and demanding that Kagawa be immediately sold to safeguard his own future.

Not by all accounts. By Rooney's account, he just wanted to find out whether he was still in the manager's plans or not. Hardly storming in and demanding that Kagawa be immediately sold to safeguard his own future.

With all these goals and assists some keep reminding us of you first thought wouldn't be that he has been absent from Fergie's plans during last season.

You appear to have confidence in the validity of Rooney's claims and take them at face value, therefore what do you think Sir Alex told him during their meeting?

Seen on Twitter, but found it funny.

The Mirror are a joke, they've changed their story twice within a couple of weeks.

Herr transplant: Wayne Rooney confides he wants to leave Manchester United for Bayern Munich

BK0pXNxCEAECS-B.jpg:large

What is it, he wants to leave for Bayern? Or he's been forced out?

You appear to have confidence in the validity of Rooney's claims and take them at face value, therefore what do you think Sir Alex told him during their meeting?

Nope, I'm just taking issue with your use of the phrase 'by all accounts'. It's pedantry, and it's what I do.

I don't have much confidence in anyone's claims about the Rooney situation at the moment. Fortunately, I don't care too much either way. I think people are too precious about the relationships between footballers and their clubs. Also I'm pretty confident that, one way or the other, Rooney will still be here next season.

I'm with Brightonian. Not arsed either way. If he stays here though, his performances must be more consistent. His inconsistency is not solely down to where he's played. I'm pretty sure the majority of the games he's played this season were as an advanced midfielder.

Like I said earlier, we don't know everything yet.

It may be that it is the club, not Rooney, that aren't sure they want to pay him what he is worth on the market. As with Nani, it is never simply a matter of the player wanting out, but a matter of how much the club is willing to pay them to keep them around.

The player gets blamed for trying to get paid what they are worth, and the club gets a pass when it starts to look for a younger, cheaper option with a greater upside.

Remember when Beckham was forced out? Beckham took a lot of the blame for leaving, but in hindsight his love for fashion and public life never prevented him from being a consummate professional on the pitch. Fergie decided he had to go, just like with Stam, but United may have been better with Beckham rather than without him. Yes, we replaced him with Ronaldo, and the club moved on with a younger and more profitable and ultimately more talented player. But in between we went through some frustrating times without Beckham (or Stam) in the side.

Personally, I hope Rooney stays at United his whole career, and Nani for that matter, but I trust the club and the new manager to decide whether to pay him the big salary increase or to look for younger alternatives.

Ferguson's autobiography comes out in October, suppose we won't know 'til then who said what and what the feck actually happened when Rooney asked to leave.

If Rooney ends up staying, SAF won't say anything that could damage him or the club. If he leaves then I'd imagine the club would spill the beans anyway.

Premier League - Paper Round: United tried to swap Rooney for Hart

Sir Alex Ferguson investigated the possibility of swapping Wayne Rooney for Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart according to a new report.

That claim is the most sensational one made in an article by John Cross in the Daily Mirror that says Rooney never asked for a transfer request and now fears he will be exiled at Paris Saint Germain.

Manchester United's exiting boss Ferguson had claimed that Rooney had put in his second transfer request in three years near the end of the season but Cross's report says that while clear the air talks were held, Rooney never officially asked to leave, and now fears the damage is done and there is no way back for him at the club.

The whole reaction to his mythical transfer request has reportedly left Rooney upset.

"He was alarmed to see Sky pundit Gary Neville - his England coach and a former United team-mate - laughing about him asking for a transfer while conducting a TV interview with Paul Scholes," says the Mirror.

"That has left him with the feeling there was a deep undercurrent and determination within the club to sell him."

In regard to the Joe Hart swap claim the Mirror says: "Ferguson had even explored using Rooney as bait in an incredible player-plus-cash swap deal to bring Manchester City keeper Joe Hart to Old Trafford.

"Ferguson is a big admirer of Hart and felt his unhappiness under Roberto Mancini gave him a chance of snatching him.

"Hart is now happier at Eastlands and will stay on under boss-in-waiting Manuel Pellegrini following last week's decision to sack Mancini."

PSG are favourites to sign Rooney with Monaco, Chelsea, Arsenal and "even Manchester City", watching developments.

You suspect that Rooney's future will be the big transfer story to dominate the summer.

Media Logic, let's send Rooney, our most influential player, to our nearest title rivals, and get a keeper in, who hasn't had a season as good as ours has.

Rooney asked for a transfer verbally, likely in frustration. Sir Alex or the club have never said it was formal or official. Nothing new from the Mirror.

I say it again: our best player is going nowhere! End of speculation.

Are people really still saying this in complete denial? He may not leave, but for people to be so sure and insistent is ludicrous.

It's taken this long for Rooney's team to concoct this story he's being forced out so he doesn't look like a bit of a twat. They're slipping.

Ignore whether or not I agree with akash or wr8's point, but you are just completely ignoring them. You're saying 'Rooney hasn't scored goals consistently enough over the course of his career to be considered a top goalscorer like RVP'. Their original point was that in every season that he's been played as a genuine front man, he has indeed scored 30+ goals. In seasons when he hasn't produced that, it's been because he hasn't really been playing up front. So what's your point?

Erm... I'm presuming you didn't actually read what you quoted? It clearly states that he hasn't scored 30+ goals every time he's been a genuine front man, more like 2/5 or 2/6.

Just because he didn't score as many as Ronaldo when he was up front and Ronaldo was coming in from the wing, doesn't mean he wasn't the striker. Lampard has scored more than Torres this season, it doesn't mean that Lampard is the striker.

I've already stated I feel that Rooney was the main man essentially from Van Nistelrooy leaving in 2006 up until Van Persie came in 2012. Just because Berbatov was more prolific for 6 months, or Ronaldo was more prolific for 2.5 seasons, or Rooney was injured sporadically, doesn't change that.

Even if you discount the 10-11 season because you feel Berbatov and Hernandez were the furthest forward (which in my opinion was only the case because Rooney was injured), with Rooney behind, you are still left with 129 goals in 234 games or 91 goals in 158 league games. Basically: 2 very good seasons and 3 mediocre ones.

To sum up: my point is that the bolded is disingenuous.

Media Logic, let's send Rooney, our most influential player, to our nearest title rivals, and get a keeper in, who hasn't had a season as good as ours has.

That's the most ridiculous transfer rumour I've read for a while!

In regard to the Joe Hart swap claim the Mirror says: "Ferguson had even explored using Rooney as bait in an incredible player-plus-cash swap deal to bring Manchester City keeper Joe Hart to Old Trafford.

"Ferguson is a big admirer of Hart and felt his unhappiness under Roberto Mancini gave him a chance of snatching him.

What the feck? :lol:

The Mirror has hit a new low, and I honestly thought that wasn't possible.

Erm... I'm presuming you didn't actually read what you quoted? It clearly states that he hasn't scored 30+ goals every time he's been a genuine front man, more like 2/5 or 2/6.

Just because he didn't score as many as Ronaldo when he was up front and Ronaldo was coming in from the wing, doesn't mean he wasn't the striker. Lampard has scored more than Torres this season, it doesn't mean that Lampard is the striker.

I've already stated I feel that Rooney was the main man essentially from Van Nistelrooy leaving in 2006 up until Van Persie came in 2012. Just because Berbatov was more prolific for 6 months, or Ronaldo was more prolific for 2.5 seasons, or Rooney was injured sporadically, doesn't change that.

Even if you discount the 10-11 season because you feel Berbatov and Hernandez were the furthest forward (which in my opinion was only the case because Rooney was injured), with Rooney behind, you are still left with 129 goals in 234 games or 91 goals in 158 league games. Basically: 2 very good seasons and 3 mediocre ones.

To sum up: my point is that the bolded is disingenuous.

Ah ok, I misunderstood your post. Didn't realised you were just flatly disagreeing with them. Not sure I agree but it's a fair point.

I don't necessarily disagree with the bit in bold but can you honestly say that the role Rooney played was similar to the roles Falcao and Lewandowski play for their respective clubs? Rooney has pretty much never played as an out and out poacher, not even in the seasons where he has been our main striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.