Wan-Bissaka for sale

El Presidente

This, not a bad idea. Do really think that he could thrive here, especially against weaker teams.

Regarding AWB I do think we need a better footballer at this position. Dalot is ahead - better to have a young backup when he needs to rest.
I guy with no right foot, playing at RB.
Yeah........

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
AWB level of discomfort in possession is well over played, he is definitely good enough for most sides outside the top 7
AWB is very inconsistent in that regard. He's quite capable of making some good passes and pulling off tricks that allow him to carry the ball forward really well, but he's equally capable of putting himself or a teammate under a huge amount of pressure with a bad touch or pass. It's not even something that I can pinpoint the issue with him struggling under pressure or alternatively struggling when he has time to think, it's just a bit all over the place.

He looks worse than he actually is, with that unconventional style that looks quite clumsy but can often actually work out for him. But he's still well below average in possession, and as such most of the average (ie. midtable) teams won't be interested. Crystal Palace used to be linked a couple of years ago as being open to getting him back, but once they started to want to play the ball around themselves those links quickly dried up.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
AWB is very inconsistent in that regard. He's quite capable of making some good passes and pulling off tricks that allow him to carry the ball forward really well, but he's equally capable of putting himself or a teammate under a huge amount of pressure with a bad touch or pass. It's not even something that I can pinpoint the issue with him struggling under pressure or alternatively struggling when he has time to think, it's just a bit all over the place.

He looks worse than he actually is, with that unconventional style that looks quite clumsy but can often actually work out for him. But he's still well below average in possession, and as such most of the average (ie. midtable) teams won't be interested.
He is an inconsistent player all round, including his positioning and concentration which is why he isn't suited to United or the very top level. That is not the same as saying he is not good enough in possession for the PL or teams outside top 6/7

MadDogg

He is an inconsistent player all round, including his positioning and concentration which is why he isn't suited to United or the very top level. That is not the same as saying he is not good enough in possession for the PL or teams outside top 6/7
Well, if you're right we'll see the midtable teams coming in for him as he'll be available for relatively cheap. Personally I doubt it.

Devil81

Weighing up the options, we either sell this summer and get some money back, lose him next summer for nothing or give him a new contract that could potentially tie him to us for a further three years plus.

Looking at those options, I'd be inclined to get rid now as I don't like losing players for nothing and I really don't think the club want to tie him to a new long term deal.

Cassidy

Well, if you're right we'll see the midtable teams coming in for him as he'll be available for relatively cheap. Personally I doubt it.
Or they won't because the player wants to go abroad and remain playing in Europe

OleGunnar20

Are there any concrete links out for him then? I'd be happy to move him on for £10-15m personally. Look at Malacia, who we got some something like £12m if memory serves. If he hadn't had been so unlucky with these mystery injuries he'd have been a good signing for that kind of money I think.

We need to do similar at RB but get someone with the same style as Dalot, as we dont want to be going for completely opposite players when he's injured.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
OK, in five seasons, can you point me to more than one occasion when AWB went up the pitch, beat a man in the final third and crossed a ball into the box?
Yes, obviously. I can’t name any because I have better things to do with my time but there are plenty of examples and he has scored goals from forward runs too.

According to the premier league site he has 2 goals, 13 assists, 13 good chances created, and 302 crosses with 19% success. Thats 57 successful crosses which far outstrips your threshold of 1. Don’t be ridiculous.

Hoof the ball

Been impressed with him recently at RB

He's absolutely dreadful at LB

Do not sell
No. Don't do this. We've been collectively having this dance for too long now.
He's poor for long stretches, and then suddenly has a decent patch, which precipitates comments like the above. We can't continue to retain poorly performing players because a brief momentum of form gives us cause for hesitation.

If you keep a poor player long enough you're going to see brief spells that'll give reason to believe that every small patch is a turnaround. It never is, hombre.

NLunited

The dilemma is: Losing him for nothing plus having a good defensive right back for a year vs getting about 15 million for him plus having to buy another right back.

15 million is not enough to sell him.

Clearly, we should keep him and plug holes in the squad rather than creating new holes.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The problem could be solved by buying a RCB who can also double as a RB when needed. For example: Lindelof & AWB out for 25m-30m and Chalobah in for a similar price. Also, there must be a talented youngster or two in the academy who can help out in the Carling Cup games or games against lower opposition in the FA cup & Europa.

ROFLUTION

Even most midtable teams want to play the ball around and look for players that are comfortable in possession these days. You basically have to hope for an old-school manager like Moyes that might be interested (the same reason West Ham was the only team interested in McTominay last season) or a team that's expecting to be fighting relegation and who just want to try to shut up shop as much as they can. But even a lot of the teams fighting relegation or who are promoting from the Championship want more quality on the ball at fullback, as it's become one of the absolute key positions in the modern game.
That view was true if you looked at Wan Bissaka before Ten Hag took over. He’s developed immensely in playing it out and his ball control has gone up too. Too black and white to label him as a player that can only play for a few relegation sides. He’s been playing it out under pressure for over a year now. Imo he could play for Brighton.

Just look at the Liverpool game (FA cup) when he even played left side brilliantly and was great with his feet all game.

lysglimt

Scout
No. Don't do this. We've been collectively having this dance for too long now.
He's poor for long stretches, and then suddenly has a decent patch, which precipitates comments like the above. We can't continue to retain poorly performing players because a brief momentum of form gives us cause for hesitation.

If you keep a poor player long enough you're going to see brief spells that'll give reason to believe that every small patch is a turnaround. It never is, hombre.
It doesn't matter - we don't have the numbers to sell him without a proper fee. We can't trust Luke Shaw to stay fit - Malacia has been out for over a year, even if he is fit to the start of the season, you can't expect him to be anywhere near match-fit. So we currently have 2 full-backs and people want us to sell one ? Realistically - if we sell AWB, we have to buy a minimum of 2 fullbacks. If we had £200+ million available to sign players - sure then we probably could afford it - but at the moment, there is no indication that we do.

If we get rid of Eriksen, Casemiro, Sancho, Greenwood and either of Maguire or Lindelof - we have sold as many players as we can realistically afford to replace. But some here seem to think we should get rid of AWB and McTominay as well - and not sign Amrabat. In addition to Varane and Martial.

We need to keep some reliable players - even if they aren't good enough - simply to make up numbers. And AWB and McT rarely get injured - so unless we get a really good offer for them - we should keep them. If however we have a brilliant £15 million fullback coming in - then we might reconsider - but from the looks of it, I would say probably not

MadDogg

Everton under Dyche is pretty much the exact kind of club that I said we'd have to hope for, to the extent that I almost named them as our best hope but I wasn't sure what options they had in that position. A lower-midtable club with an old-school manager that is more focused on shutting things down than actually building out from the back.

Cassidy

Everton under Dyche is pretty much the exact kind of club that I said we'd have to hope for, to the extent that I almost named them as our best hope but I wasn't sure what options they had in that position. A lower-midtable club with an old-school manager that is more focused on shutting things down than actually building out from the back.
First one so far, let us see. Like I said, though, he is good enough to do it and has done it for us plenty. His main issue he lacks in my opinion, the concentration levels to be at it all the time, which is why all parts of his game are incredibly inconsistent.

roseguy64

AWB level of discomfort in possession is well over played, he is definitely good enough for most sides outside the top 7
With how people talk you'd talk you think he'd not be able to control a pass. He's good enough on the ball for a top half team but he's not elite at it. He just looks ungainly with how he does it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think wan bissaka is worth £30m. Everton should consider this.

roseguy64

First one so far, let us see. Like I said, though, he is good enough to do it and has done it for us plenty. His main issue he lacks in my opinion, the concentration levels to be at it all the time, which is why all parts of his game are incredibly inconsistent.
Agreed also.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
All jokes aside I think he would do really well in a Dyche side and I would be on board with it as a signing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He looks worse than he actually is, with that unconventional style that looks quite clumsy but can often actually work out for him. But he's still well below average in possession, and as such most of the average (ie. midtable) teams won't be interested. Crystal Palace used to be linked a couple of years ago as being open to getting him back, but once they started to want to play the ball around themselves those links quickly dried up.
Those links dried up because they bought a RB for 8m who has been playing very well. Context

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That view was true if you looked at Wan Bissaka before Ten Hag took over. He’s developed immensely in playing it out and his ball control has gone up too. Too black and white to label him as a player that can only play for a few relegation sides. He’s been playing it out under pressure for over a year now. Imo he could play for Brighton.

Just look at the Liverpool game (FA cup) when he even played left side brilliantly and was great with his feet all game.
Stop speaking sense. Get with the sheep narrative

bosskeano

Sell the lad....he's a adequate defender but shiite going forward

then bring in Frimpong to replace him

daba

The fewer Wan-Bissaka’s (ie. players weak in possession) we have in the squad the better.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
do we actually know what we are trying to play?
Clearly you don't..... Anyway for the purposes of this convo, it's not 2 holding mids - whether he goes back to 1 and two 8s remains to be seen

bosskeano

Clearly you don't..... Anyway for the purposes of this convo, it's not 2 holding mids - whether he goes back to 1 and two 8s remains to be seen
no i don't and i don't think anyone else do either considering just how wide open our midfield was defensively all season

the ONLY game it wasn't like that was the FA Cup final against City

90% of the time we defended tactically in a 4231 so the 8 was playing in the double pivot role defensively and then played higher up the pitch once in possession

that still could be done with two 6's in the starting XI just to help solidify the middle

caid

Personally I think he's ok in possession. Its not a strength but its not a crippling weakness by any means either. Its his concentration, focus, positioning, initiative, responsibility and stuff like that that pisses me off and makes me want to write him off.