Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monster. Love it.

Great stuff today. Did all the scrappy defending in the box and lead from the box. WBA threw everything at us but he defended superbly.

Even though we were playing poorly in the second half, with Vida in the side I didn't feel we would concede. Very good today, getting back to his best.

Absolute beast in defence today. We kept a clean sheet because we dominated aerially. Between Evans and Vidic they won 13 aerial duels, WBA won 3 between their whole team!

Great to have him back.

He refuses to get beaten in the air. We really missed that. Otherwise he just stood strong as the West Brom onslaught happened. He's a big reason why we've got a clean sheet to talk about tonight.

Great to have him back, MOTM in my opinion.

He's a fecking monster of a player. Seemed to be edging back to his best today.

And Vidic is back.

That means that other teams will have a lot of trouble to score against us.

In my memory, it usually takes him a while to get back in the groove after a lay-off (not as bad as Wayne though). Very happy to see him in such good form so soon.

Those who claimed Vidic was done are free to acknowledge their foolishness, either publicly or, more prudently, quietly.

Definitely had that old-school Vidic aura today.

I remember one moment he was standing face to face with Odemwingie, about two yards apart, each waiting for the other to make the move, and you just felt so confident that Vidic was going to come out on top. Whereas recently tricky customers likes Odemwingie have always seemed to have the better of our CBs if given the time to 'have a go'.

Vidic duly tackled cleanly and decisively when Odemwingie started to move to shift it around him, and the ball slotted nicely to Cleverley's feet.

Only criticism I have of him was playing too safe whenever he got the ball at his feet. He had options open to him but rarely used them. Nonetheless, he's just got back into the team so it's not all that relevant.

With Vidic in the team, you're 10 times more confident we'll keep a clean sheet. The ball just gets attracted to his head. What a defender. We're going to need him against Madrid. His reading of the game is superb.

Never felt we would concede today. Vidic wasn't alone on that, but he lead from the front clearing everything that came his way and threw his body in the way of everything. His no nonsense style will keep things much tighter after seeing some really casual stuff at the back this season. Could make all the difference when he is ready to play every game.

Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic admits it will take at least two months before he is back to his best.

Vidic completed the second game of his comeback from a knee operation in Saturday's 2-0 win over West Brom at Old Trafford.

He played a big part in helping United's back-four achieve only their fourth clean sheet in the Premier League this season, maintaining their seven-point advantage over Manchester City.

But after virtually 16 months on the injury sidelines after rupturing his cruciate ligament during the devastating defeat to Basle last December, Vidic says he is not yet back to his towering best.

"The doctor is managing the games I am playing at the moment," he told MUTV.

"Over the first two or three months I have to really look at that because sometimes I might have a reaction.

"This is a process I have to go through. I am glad I have managed to play after three months. It is nice to be on the pitch and playing games.

"Hopefully I can play more often so I can build my form and play better."

Vidic's next challenge will be Wigan on New Year's Day, though he may have some different partners in the United back-four.

Rafael, who has not featured since the Manchester derby win earlier this month because of a hamstring strain, should be fit to face the Latics.

And Phil Jones should also be available after missing the last two games because of a knock he picked up at Swansea.

"Phil could be ready and Rafa will be ready," said Ferguson.

"We rested Robin [van Persie], Chicharito, Ryan [Giggs] and Paul [Scholes] against West Brom so we've got enough freshness to bring in."

So what's the difference this time around with him coming back as opposed to last time? I mean, is he '100%' as he was '100%' fit the last time? Is it simply a case of him being rushed back the last time?

Either way he looked in beast mode yesterday.

People are being way too OTT about his performance. It was decent, nothing more.

I would say it's fully justified. This is a man who hasn't played much football in the last year or so... and yesterday he really didn't put a foot wrong, organised our defence well, and won anything that came in his vicinity. It's pretty much everything you'd want from your centre back.

WBA had a strong 2nd half, had a fair bit of the ball and looked to put us under pressure... that pressure never really felt like any actual danger though, and that was in large part due to Vidic's defending (along with the rest of the back four).

Was very good, that's not going OTT. He just needs a good distributor next to him because his passing is considerably worse than all the other aspects of his game. Therefore him being paired with another physical CB results in us giving the possession over and over again by lumping it hopelessly. Thankfully, we've got Evans and Rio for that.

Much better than I expected from him so soon after coming back from injury. It looks like he really could come back to his old self.

I was going to start a new thread but given the cafs view on karma I decided not to.

Point being with Vidic back in the side I can see us going on a decent run on clean sheets. A settled back 4 or raf, Vidic, Evans and evra could make a real difference.

I was going to start a new thread but given the cafs view on karma I decided not to.

Point being with Vidic back in the side I can see us going on a decent run on clean sheets. A settled back 4 or raf, Vidic, Evans and evra could make a real difference.

Just call it "When was the last time we went on a run of clean sheet wins?". That should do the trick.

You could quite easily replace Evans with Smalling or Ferdinand, and I'd still be sure we'd be getting a string of clean sheets. Our strength in depth is incredible when everyone is fit - and let's not forget Jones.

You could quite easily replace Evans with Smalling or Ferdinand, and I'd still be sure we'd be getting a string of clean sheets. Our strength in depth is incredible when everyone is fit - and let's not forget Jones.

Yep, probably but it's a personal opinion that Vidic and Evans will be our first choices for the foreseeable, at least until Vidic gets back to 100% fitness. I must have a look at our next 5-6 fixtures.

I don't get why people prefer Evans over Rio, sure he isn't the same player but he still usually turn it on in big games and should play vs Real with Vidic if he is fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.