Vidic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that thinks he's more than capable of playing "at his best" when he comes back?
Granted, I don't expect him to turn it on in the first game or anything like that, but I see no reason why he couldn't get back to his best. He's still young enough, and it's not like he ever relied much on his pace.

We'd need a midfield too, so I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

It was mostly Giggs and Carrick who played in central midfield during our last CL run to the final. So I can see us managing to squeeze through with our current midfield options, but point taken.

I tend to think that the team with the best defense has a great shot at winning the CL in any year, with Vidic and Rio in form we can field a defense as stubborn as any. And of course we need De Gea to be at his best, VDS was a huge part of our defensive dominance.

If Vida comes back at even close to his best, it will remove so much of the pressure from DDG anyway. Vida is a beast in the air(or was) and will stop a lot of the issues we have at set pieces and allow for DDG to do more of what he is great at.

It was mostly Giggs and Carrick who played in central midfield during our last CL run to the final. So I can see us managing to squeeze through with our current midfield options, but point taken.

I tend to think that the team with the best defense has a great shot at winning the CL in any year, with Vidic and Rio in form we can field a defense as stubborn as any. And of course we need De Gea to be at his best, VDS was a huge part of our defensive dominance.

Not really, 08/09 springs to mind.

We still got there, which means we had a pretty good shot at winning. Got dicked on unfortunately but still...

I can't believe how long we've coped without Vidic for. Would've pissed on the league last year had he not been injured. I'd basically written it off altogether when I heard how long he was out for.

Our last run to a CL final involved a semi-final tie with Schalke, you don't usually play that kind of team at that stage. Marseille in the last 16 didn't pose much of a threat either and Chelsea were in a bit of crisis at the time and still gave us a game. Against Bayern or Real we wouldn't do as good.

We're never going to win CL with current midfield. Not a chance, not in times when midfield is the most important formation.

Our last run to a CL final involved a semi-final tie with Schalke, you don't usually play that kind of team at that stage. Marseille in the last 16 didn't pose much of a threat either and Chelsea were in a bit of crisis at the time and still gave us a game. Against Bayern or Real we wouldn't do as good.

We're never going to win CL with current midfield. Not a chance, not in times when midfield is the most important formation.

Really? Chelsea cm last year was that much better than what we have now?

feck this

I am starting to fear the worst for Vidic, I really am.

It was insanely stupid to rush him back when he wasnt 100% fit. He's been out so long that it'l take quite some time to be anywhere close to his best i feel.

It was insanely stupid to rush him back when he wasnt 100% fit. He's been out so long that it'l take quite some time to be anywhere close to his best i feel.

agreed, and he is 31.

Its a Shame Smalling and Evans didnt get to spend more time playing alongside him to learn from him.

Still hope Vida will make a strong come back but I cant see it.:(

I'm sure he'd have been eased back into the side if we didn't have the injuries to Smalling, Jones and at the start of the season Evans. Unfortunately it was a gamble that had to be taken.

agreed, and he is 31.

Its a Shame Smalling and Evans didnt get to spend more time playing alongside him to learn from him.

Still hope Vida will make a strong come back but I cant see it.:(

Others learning from him isnt that big a concern for me. They can learn in training. And in matches, they have Rio there most of the time. Its just sad to lose who was the best CB in the world at the time for such a lengthy period.

I'm sure he'd have been eased back into the side if we didn't have the injuries to Smalling, Jones and at the start of the season Evans. Unfortunately it was a gamble that had to be taken.

Not the way i think. Injuries to others dont mean you should rush a player who came off such a lengthy spell. We should have played Carrick like we always do.

It does my head in when I think about and specially when I think about Kagawa too.

The Kagawa one is the player's call imo. He's on the pitch and decides he can carry on, its only at HT that the staff could have had a look and they took him off.

Something tells me that SAF might be envisioning a future sans Vidic. Can't say why; just a hunch really. That being said, it would be wonderful to have the 2010-11 Vidic back in the side (although both Rio and Evans have played well, an in-form Vidic is the best in the business.)

Something tells me that SAF might be envisioning a future sans Vidic. Can't say why; just a hunch really. That being said, it would be wonderful to have the 2010-11 Vidic back in the side (although both Rio and Evans have played well, an in-form Vidic is the best in the business.)

I hope he is to be honest. I really don't fancy his chances of returning to the level he was pre-injury, and so we should be readying the other defenders for his exodus. Who knows, if he does manage to fully recover we've got a world class defender for another 3 years and one that the Smalling and Jones can learn from before transitioning into starting XI players.

I'd be very surprised to learn he wasn't considering that possible future. Vidic is 31 years old, he's always been vulnerable to pace and he's yet to recover from a cruciate injury which has robbed him of over a year of his career. It'd be bordering on negligent not to be thinking about what to do in the future without him.

Not too worried about his age and vulnerability to pace. He's a defender and 31 isn't too old and plus he doesn't exactly rely on pace. Hope his knee gets fine and he returns to his best because the pre injury Vidic we had last season after the City defeat was Vidic at his imperious best. He absolutely dominated in the air.

Manchester United are increasingly hopeful that club captain Nemanja Vidic, 31, could return early from a serious knee injury in time for the derby away to Manchester City on 9 December.
Full story: the Times (subscription required)

Hopefully we don't rush him back. If that happens to be one of his first games back I can see him getting turned inside out by the two Argies.

Yeah even if he does somehow manage to get himself fit for that game I can't seem him being thrown straight into the starting lineup.

How the hell is that possible? It was only a week ago that Fergie said that we shouldn't even begin to think that Vidic will be fit before Christmas.

I call bullshit...unless Fergie was bullshitting.

Bullshitception.

Vidic is always rusty as hell after injury so I'd prefer it if he played a reserve match or two first.

He won't see pitch until the New Year, that's for sure.

Yeah, always creaks a bit after a lay off. I'll take Jonny, Rio, Smalling, Jones till January.

Yeah, always creaks a bit after a lay off. I'll take Jonny, Rio, Smalling, Jones till January.

To be honest if all four of them stayed relatively fit (touch wood) for the remainder of the season I'd be almost happy to see Vida not even play and just work on getting himself right and returning for pre season.

To be honest if all four of them stayed relatively fit (touch wood) for the remainder of the season I'd be almost happy to see Vida not even play and just work on getting himself right and returning for pre season.

Well yeah, based on the luck we've had with centre-backs and injuries, you'd take it in a heart-beat. Still, we'll only realise how much we've missed the big man when he's back. We're still missing that air of authority back there.

That's the worst thing that can happen to our defence, we would leak goals without vida or it would seem that way. If we lose the league again by a few goals then we would forever be debating that had vidic been fit we would have won.

That's good enough for me. Unless something catastrophic happens between now and December 9, I wouldn't mess around with starting Vidic v City so soon after passing his fitness test. In the end it truly is just 1 game out of a 38 season. Win, lose or draw we'll both be in the hunt in early May and the important thing is to make sure our key players are up for the challenge when we hit the last turn.

Such a shame to lose your best player for basically 15 months. If we want to win the CL we'll need Vidic back to something near his best.

Maybe, but I'd be happy with Smalling & Rio.

I can seriously see us doing something in the CL if we go with Anderson & Cleverley in a midfield 3.

Really hope we don't rush him back from the derby, don't even care about the him being rusty part, I'd just hate it if he injured himself again. If he's fit by the beginning of December, just give him intensive rehab training, a few reserve games, don't include him in the crazy boxing day and new year's games, and bring him back into the team slowly during January. If we have him fit for the run-in and especially the knockout CL games, that would be perfect. In the meantime, Smalling, Evans and Rio (who's been very very good this year) can do the job, with Jones coming in and helping out.

It would be really stupid to rush him back in, I trust the coaching team not to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.