Victor Lindelof (Out)

In his entire PL career he’s listed as having made 2 errors leading to a goal for example.

This is why some stats and the way some people use them for 'context' is just plain wrong. Lindelof's fans regularly used the 'wasn't dribbled past' stat and conflated that with him being a good containment defender that didn't dive in and allowed his team mates to come back. It's pure bs.

Just watch these highlights from ONE single game. All three goals he was at fault for, yet they probably weren't registered as 'direct mistakes' or 'dribbled past'. There are so many examples over the years.

First goal.

First and last goal.

Both goals - Europa League Semi Final 19-20

First goal - Europa League Final 20-21

First goal - Fa Cup FInal 23-24.

Everyone makes mistakes and of course it can look bad in isolation like this. The issue is that they all come from the exact same weaknesses we see from his game over and over and over again. It's mostly just backing off and not doing anything or enough to make an effort to affect ball. These are just some examples leading to conceded goals and don't include the hundreds of times where we've had to concede possession in our half or lost the opportunity to reverse the momentum because he refuses to engage an attacker. It's gets worse because over the years, people have blamed Maguire for making him look bad or claiming that a better midfield than McFred would unlock his ball playing, high line ability. In actual fact, it was McFred and AWB (locking down the right channel) doing all the heavy lifting during those seasons in front of him.

TDLR; there's no need to defend or contextual this shite player in my opinion.

Last edited:
This big girls blouse is injured when we are trying to kick him out the door.

To be fair it was reported by the Athletic that Victor was pushing for a move earlier in the summer because he was aware he was going to be down the pecking order and he wants regular football. The injury is poor timing but I don't think for one second he is faking it, he is not one of our top earners so I doubt he would have to take a pay cut to leave so no obvious reason for him to stay if he won't be playing. Hopefully it is a minor issue and he can still be transferred before the window shuts but I fear he is another like Scott that the manager would quite happily keep due to his ability to play a couple of different roles along the back.

Erik said it's some injury to his toe and only mentioned about his unavailability for the game on Saturday. Hopefully, he still goes. We have too many central defenders now & I think he can get us 6m-8m in fees.

This is why some stats and the way some people use them for 'context' is just plain wrong. Lindelof's fans regularly used the 'wasn't dribbled past' stat and conflated that with him being a good containment defender that didn't dive in and allowed his team mates to come back. It's pure bs.

Just watch these highlights from ONE single game. All three goals he was at fault for, yet they probably weren't registered as 'direct mistakes' or 'dribbled past'. There are so many examples over the years.

First goal.

First and last goal.

Everyone makes mistakes and of course it can look bad in isolation like this. The issue is that they all come from the exact same weaknesses we see from his game over and over and over again. It's mostly just backing off and not doing anything or enough to make an effort to affect ball. These are just some examples leading to conceded goals and don't include the hundreds of times where we've had to concede possession in our half or lost the opportunity to reverse the momentum because he refuses to engage an attacker. It's gets worse because over the years, people have blamed Maguire for making him look bad or claiming that a better midfield than McFred would unlock his ball playing, high line ability. In actual fact, it was McFred and AWB (locking down the right channel) doing all the heavy lifting during those seasons in front of him.

This post gives me anxiety

Erik said it's some injury to his toe and only mentioned about his unavailability for the game on Saturday. Hopefully, he still goes. We have too many central defenders now & I think he can get us 6m-8m in fees.
Hopefully. Could be a last day of the window job if he does.

I personally don’t mind if Lindelof sticks around. It’s a shame for him as he deserves some football but from our perspective we’ll probably end up selling him for peanuts anyway. Also, the fact that we have Evans as the 5th centre-back and have sold Kambwala and Fish with the injury issues we had last season and the issues we continue to have at left back does make me a bit nervous. It would be different if it we were being offered £30m like with Maguire last season.

Personally I would have kept Kambwala around or signed the likes of Tosin, Kelly or Hermosa on a free for a bit of extra cover.

I personally don’t mind if Lindelof sticks around. It’s a shame for him as he deserves some football but from our perspective we’ll probably end up selling him for peanuts anyway. Also, the fact that we have Evans as the 5th centre-back and have sold Kambwala and Fish with the injury issues we had last season and the issues we continue to have at left back does make me a bit nervous. It would be different if it we were being offered £30m like with Maguire last season.

Personally I would have kept Kambwala around or signed the likes of Tosin, Kelly or Hermosa on a free for a bit of extra cover.
We should have signed Hermoso on a free, he would have covered both LB and CB. Tosin or Kelly could have allowed us to get rid of both Maguire and Lindelof this summer but the club thought otherwise.

First goal.

First and last goal.

He's played nearly three hundred times for a terrible Manchester United side over the course of several managers. Nobody would suggest he'd be worth keeping as anything other than 5th choice should Maguire leave.

TDLR, it wasn't worth sharpening your knives.

He's played nearly three hundred times for a terrible Manchester United side over the course of several managers. Nobody would suggest he'd be worth keeping as anything other than 5th choice should Maguire leave.

TDLR, it wasn't worth sharpening your knives.

I provided real life video context to the stat posted and it was worth my time, if it provided any use to anyone; he's a terrible player that gets an easy ride with some people for some reason. The same with 'McTominay is a great squad option'. Just look at his thread with the stats analysis.

I wouldn't keep Lindelof for 5th choice anyways as this is his last contractual year and he's on £120k. Selling him for even £5m and replacing with a low budget option or promoting youth is worth it financially and for the future. At least we have another year option for Maguire, even if he is the best monetary value asset to us now.

Him, Bailly and Rojo were a colossal waste of money, the amount we have spent on defenders in the last decade is obscene

It really is. Between 2010 and 2022, we spent a half a billion euro on transfer fees for; Smalling, Jones, Buttner, Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Bailly, Lindelof, Dalot, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Telles, Varane, Martinez and Malacia.

Spent a fortune trying to replace Smalling.
We were trying to improve on Smalling mate, no need to rewrite history. Although we did feck up badly anyway.

Last edited:
We were trying to improve on Smalling mate, no need to rewrite history. Although we did feck badly anyway.

youre right, smalling needed to be improved on no question, but in retrospect smalling and evans would probably have been better and more reliable than any combination post ferguson. hopefully we're beyond the era of horrendous squad management

Him, Bailly and Rojo were a colossal waste of money, the amount we have spent on defenders in the last decade is obscene

It was the ultimate sign Mourinho was finished as a top level manager when he signed Bailly and Lindelof. Decent level fees for 2 players who simply weren't dominant in any way. Mourinho was always so good at making quality defensive signings before.

youre right, smalling needed to be improved on no question, but in retrospect smalling and evans would probably have been better and more reliable than any combination post ferguson. hopefully we're beyond the era of horrendous squad management
People seem to have this blind spot for Evans, overlooking the howler he always had in him, and until Maguire had a real crack at the award, arguably the worst United defensive season in modern times in his last season first time round.

People seem to have this blind spot for Evans, overlooking the howler he always had in him, and until Maguire had a real crack at the award, arguably the worst United defensive season in modern times in his last season first time round.

yes i dont mean to rewrite history, but evans matured as he aged and compared to the combinations we had post vidic-ferdinand, and the money spent, i would say smalling-evans would have been the better pairing up until probably maguire's arrival. but that said, if we saved money by not buying so many poor defenders, we'd likely have squandered it elsewhere

yes i dont mean to rewrite history, but evans matured as he aged and compared to the combinations we had post vidic-ferdinand, and the money spent, i would say smalling-evans would have been the better pairing up until probably maguire's arrival. but that said, if we saved money by not buying so many poor defenders, we'd likely have squandered it elsewhere

Lindelof certainly didn't seem much of an improvement on Leicester Evans.
I still can't believe Lindelof is 6ft 3, he seems to jump 5ft 10.

i was so disappointed with how timid he turned out to be. If he was a more aggressive player it would probably improve the other aspects of his game too. I was so confident he'd develop when we signed him.

i was so disappointed with how timid he turned out to be. If he was a more aggressive player it would probably improve the other aspects of his game too. I was so confident he'd develop when we signed him.
I gave Lindelof an extra inch, 6ft 2.

We'll let him off slightly, but not much.

With Martinez being an essential starter, it's even more essential his partner is a dominant beast, so at least we have De Ligt and Maguire for that now.

People will rightly say it's not as much ball in air as the old days, but there will be many games where you can lose it just on set pieces still.

I find it funny that he’s called the ice man

He’d shirk away from a 50/50 ball against Saka

I don't know if it's in one of the clips someone else posted, but I'll always remember him "jockeying" someone from about 40 yards out and watching him score.

I remember when we signed him, he had a shaved head and the nickname ‘ice man’. I was expecting Jaap Stam reincarnated.

Must not be very good doctors then
:lol: You can pass the other aspects of it.

It will affect what a club will pay or risk though depending on the extent of the injury.

They look at joints, muscles, fitness, history of breaks, tears etc so it’s possible to “pass” on those things if the existing injury isn’t too bad.

What is wrong with people

I feel attacked :lol:

I just want to avoid seeing Casemiro at centre back again at all costs and we’re probably 2 or 3 injuries away from that scenario.

I agree it’s time for Lindelof to go but ideally we’d have some more cover so I won’t exactly lose any sleep over it if he stays.

I’m not sure what kind of fee we are going to get for him at this stage.

We were trying to improve on Smalling mate, no need to rewrite history. Although we did feck badly anyway.

Well, we wanted to replace him as we wanted to improve on him, but its semantics really.

Coincidentally, Lindelof reminds me a bit of a young Jonny Evans.