Victor Lindelof (Out)

I’ve wanted him gone since his first season so I can’t imagine many will be happier than me when he leaves.

How he’s been here for so long has always baffled me. The weakest and most timid defender I’ve seen play for us.

I mean he’s better than Evans who started last week and came on yesterday? For at least the next 3 months we have 2 fit fullbacks and 4 CBs including Evans - who would be third choice when Martinez plays at LB. So basically we’re two injuries away from Jonny Evans being first choice centre back again should Lindelof leave…which considering the recent injury records of Maguire/De Ligt/Martinez and Mazroui seems very likely to happen - so why is everyone here gagging for him to leave? Unless we bring in another CB to replace him he shouldn’t be going anywhere.

Is he feck better than Evans.

What an absolute clown and waster this guy has been.

I wish we could just feck him off for a bag of crisps and a tenner.

We need to get rid of these lot this summer, no matter what.

I get he's not been up to standards but let's have a fraction of class and not verbally abuse the guy. It shouldn't be hard.

I get he's not been up to standards but let's have a fraction of class and not verbally abuse the guy. It shouldn't be hard.

Apologies if that sounded harsh. But I find it highly suspicious that he picked up an injury just as we are closing in on the transfer deadline.

He is precisely the type of player that is holding back our rebuild. He has been at the club almost 8 years now. Thats longer than fecking Ronaldo. Let that sink in.

The only good thing he brings to OT these days is Maja.

We spent (adjusted for exchange rates at the time) £30.76m and up to £8.79m in add ons on him for 7 years of service.

He was never world class but he formed a good duel with Maguire under Solskjaer that took us to 2nd and filled in whenever needed.

As a full international capable of playing across the back line when needed we got value out of him. He’s just never made the step up to be a world class defender he’s still a more than capable PL or top league one.

We spent (adjusted for exchange rates at the time) £30.76m and up to £8.79m in add ons on him for 7 years of service.

He was never world class but he formed a good duel with Maguire under Solskjaer that took us to 2nd and filled in whenever needed.

As a full international capable of playing across the back line when needed we got value out of him. He’s just never made the step up to be a world class defender he’s still a more than capable PL or top league one.
Agreed, can’t believe all the hyperbolic crap that has been dumped on him. He was never United starting XI quality, but he served us well (for the most part) when called upon as a squad player. Never complained, always did what was asked of him (played at RB, LB, etc). He has been a solid signing, much better value for money than many other recent signings.

Wait, people genuinely claiming that Evans is better than Lindelof?

Hope he leaves hes the last in line to play. Fiorentina need to pay extra for the crutch too

I got a warning here for much less.

You don't talk like that about players.....maybe he loves the club (Money is important too) as De Gea has said about himself last week.

I would sell him too but he was always a good person here!!!!

We should just let him leave for a low fee - better than paying his wages for another season and then him walking.

Can’t believe he’s been around for 7 seasons (and possibly 8) - been known for at least 4 of those that he isn’t good enough.

Wait, people genuinely claiming that Evans is better than Lindelof?
Lindelof hasn't been as bad as people make out, but he struggled last season and Evans was clearly better.

On the other hand Lindelof was fairly good the season before that, which some of his over-the-top critics forget. Not great, but fine for a backup. At least as good, if not better, than Evans was last season. The issue is that that was one of his better seasons here, so overall we do want better even for the backup role.

Seems to avoid the criticism others get, but imo, by far the worst player of our awful bunch over the last 5 or so year.

Absolute fanny with no redeeming quality, if we gave him a free transfer id be delighted, just so we would never have to see him on the team sheet again.

Rumours he’s wondering on crutches……injured conveniently again to steal another season at Utd….

Evans is better than Lindelof and Maguire in my opinion. I'd sell all of them if possible and bring in another left footed cb. They're all ok as bench options though.

£30m was still a decent amount of money 7 years ago, not like now when that buys a backup GK. Probably our most expensive defender purchase at the time joint with Shaw.

He's been here 7 years and largely in around the first XI and honestly I can't remember a game, a patch of form or a season where you would say he's been one of our best players.

£30m was still a decent amount of money 7 years ago, not like now when that buys a backup GK. Probably our most expensive defender purchase at the time joint with Shaw.

He's been here 7 years and largely in around the first XI and honestly I can't remember a game, a patch of form or a season where you would say he's been one of our best players.
It’s the equivalent of

£39,551,668.19​

Waiting to see it

Agreed, can’t believe all the hyperbolic crap that has been dumped on him. He was never United starting XI quality, but he served us well (for the most part) when called upon as a squad player. Never complained, always did what was asked of him (played at RB, LB, etc). He has been a solid signing, much better value for money than many other recent signings.
That’s the problem, for most of his tenure he wasn’t a squad player, he was a first teamer. So instead of having him impact 5-6 games a season, it was 30+

I prefer Evans over Lindelof anyday.

Such a weak defender, I remember losing few semis and Europa finals because of his mistakes. Seville just toyed with him.

I really wish we could get 10M least as he would suit well in Italy/Spain but I think he played himself well to get one final big check as a free agent.

Apart from football, I always liked him as a person but with this sudden injury thing (If it is not genuine), he is just like other wants money.

Translated to the modern PL era it really isn’t a massive sum. For 259 appearances it’s good value.
If all those 259 appearances were good value. It’s like saying I paid €10 for this ice cream but it’s ok because it’s massive and will last me ages. But not taking into account it tastes disgusting and keeps leaking

:lol: When we bought him, and even now in PPR era it’s massively over priced. Come on fella we got DeLigt for not much more.
That’s what I’m saying adjusted for inflation it’s the equivalent of ~£39m which for a 22 year old who was a title winning CB from the Portuguese league if we were to do the same now it would be sort of like signing Inacio for that kind of fee today.

Look I get it, he’s not world class he’s nowhere near, and he’s never been the best United defender in his time here but he’s also not been the worst and has helped us get some very respectable league finishes.

Personally I don’t think he was ever bought to be first choice. If you look at Mourinho’s comments when we signed him but I’ll take a decent squad option for 7 years with the hopes we get ~£10m back as good value.

If all those 259 appearances were good value. It’s like saying I paid €10 for this ice cream but it’s ok because it’s massive and will last me ages. But not taking into account it tastes disgusting and keeps leaking
In his entire PL career he’s listed as having made 2 errors leading to a goal for example.

That’s what I’m saying adjusted for inflation it’s the equivalent of ~£39m which for a 22 year old who was a title winning CB from the Portuguese league if we were to do the same now it would be sort of like signing Inacio for that kind of fee today.

Look I get it, he’s not world class he’s nowhere near, and he’s never been the best United defender in his time here but he’s also not been the worst and has helped us get some very respectable league finishes.

Personally I don’t think he was ever bought to be first choice. If you look at Mourinho’s comments when we signed him but I’ll take a decent squad option for 7 years with the hopes we get ~£10m back as good value.
As I said earlier that’s a gripe with me, because he’s never been just a squad player. For the majority of his time he’s been a first team pick.

In his entire PL career he’s listed as having made 2 errors leading to a goal for example.
You’re sounding like A-man now. All those ones that put his colleagues under pressure, or where he backed off and allowed free shots, didn’t jump for headers.. they’re not counted right.

As I said earlier that’s a gripe with me, because he’s never been just a squad player. For the majority of his time he’s been a first team pick.
Which suggests his managers had an opposing view of his ability vs our other options. He might be a bit better than given credit for.
You’re sounding like A-man now. All those ones that put his colleagues under pressure, or where he backed off and allowed free shots, didn’t jump for headers.. they’re not counted right.
Probably not but hes never been a proactive defender.

To be clear if we could go back in time and get someone better I would.

If we sell him and abother player we might be able to afford more than 1 midfielder

Which suggests his managers had an opposing view of his ability vs our other options. He might be a bit better than given credit for.

Probably not but hes never been a proactive defender.

I'm not sure his managers particularly rated him.

He was regularly benched in his first season under Mourinho. Started playing regularly before he was sacked, but at that point he was also openly unhappy with our CB options and wanting Maguire, and went on TV talking about Lindelof being crap in the air.

Ole definitely preferred him to Bailly and Smalling but then tried to replace him with Varane.

Rangnick I have erased any memory from my mind.

Ten Hag has signed 4 centre backs in his time here. Even Maguire who he didn't fancy as fitting his style is back ahead of Lindelof.

It's only really Ole who conclusively preferred him as a starting CB, and by and large he has benefitted from not being a crock like Bailly, Jones, Rojo and Varane.

I prefer Evans over Lindelof anyday.

Such a weak defender, I remember losing few semis and Europa finals because of his mistakes. Seville just toyed with him.

I really wish we could get 10M least as he would suit well in Italy/Spain but I think he played himself well to get one final big check as a free agent.

Apart from football, I always liked him as a person but with this sudden injury thing (If it is not genuine), he is just like other wants money.

Unfortunately the truth

There's no reason why Evans should be better. But somehow he is and thats on Lindelof so byebye

Translated to the modern PL era it really isn’t a massive sum. For 259 appearances it’s good value.
It's not just about the number of appearances but the quality of them.

There's hasn't been a single season where Lindelof has claimed the starting XI without having his quality questioned. He has never really cemented his place here, overall his performances have been underwhelming.

While he isn't the worse signing we've made he's hardly been a success either and personally I expect he never plays again for us unless extreme injury circumstances. He's the softest CB I remember, the total opposite to Licha. He doesn't have the fire in him and that translate to the whole defense.

The two games which always come to mind for me where he was very good (generally considered our best player) was the last match of the 19/20 season against Leicester where the winner got into the CL, and also against Juventus in 18/19. Two big games and he really stood up in both of them.

I just wish he had played like that regularly.