VAR and Refs | General Discussion

One more thing on the clear and obvious error. Last week TAA tackle on Sancho was a lot clearer a foul than De Ligt's one yet the VAR ignored it. I can accept them ignoring things but interfering for soft decisions like today and not interfering for Bruno's red card vs Spurs just make it look silly.
It's because referees are petrified of the media outcry if they're seen to be soft on United. We need to make the alternative more unpleasant for them. These men are spineless, pitiful cowards and they wilt if pressure is applied. We have to ensure that the pressure is being applied by us.

Doesn’t really matter. As soon as the referee is recommended to review a situation on the monitor, it’s because they have identified something they think is a clear and obvious mistake, and that’s it. Coote was never going to go against Michael Oliver. As soon as they showed him jogging towards the monitor it was obvious it was going to be a penalty.

Sorry but that's bollox. Oliver has seen his opportunity and taken it. The ref was too weak to make his own call.

Coote had a view straight at the situation and he instantly waves it away, so it’s a bit of a funny one that they consider a coming together like that to be a clear and obvious error where VAR should intervene.

Obviously depends on what Coote says, if his take was that there was no contact and Ings just threw himself into it then that gives Oliver a window to essentially award it as a penalty. In general i’d say that it’s extremely rare with things like that

One more thing on the clear and obvious error. Last week TAA tackle on Sancho was a lot clearer a foul than De Ligt's one yet the VAR ignored it. I can accept them ignoring things but interfering for soft decisions like today and not interfering for Bruno's red card vs Spurs just make it look silly.
While that "clear and obvious" thing seems to long disappeared from the rule book, it should at least be limited to stuff that looks even remotely dodgy to the naked eye.
I defy anyone watching that game to say they thought there was even the slightest issue in that incident from a first watch.

Doesn’t really matter. As soon as the referee is recommended to review a situation on the monitor, it’s because they have identified something they think is a clear and obvious mistake, and that’s it. Coote was never going to go against Michael Oliver. As soon as they showed him jogging towards the monitor it was obvious it was going to be a penalty.
We have seen refs override VAR a few times. Coote should have told Oliver to feck off

Even if it was slightly debatable it was a peno id say fair enough but that’s an absolute joke of a decision.

Because it's a silly term used by people for more interested in protecting themselves than getting to the right decision.
It then has the knock-on effect of the ref being sent to the screen feeling under pressure to agree with VAR, whether or not it's even correct.

I think fans, media and everyone will laud him more if the ref decides against the VAR call. Right call is right call. Too bad the ref was just a weakling.

Coote had a view straight at the situation and he instantly waves it away, so it’s a bit of a funny one that they consider a coming together like that to be a clear and obvious error where VAR should intervene.

Obviously depends on what Coote says, if his take was that there was no contact and Ings just threw himself into it then that gives Oliver a window to essentially award it as a penalty. In general i’d say that it’s extremely rare with things like that
Cootes will never expose his weakness. That'd be career suicide. These motherfeckers are shameless and will do anything to protect themselves and their friends

I'm just amazed that you can just storm into an area, trip yourself over someone slightly, without ever being close to having control of the ball

United need to call out these things.

A Southampton player grabs Bruno by the throat and throws him down clear as can be, nothing happens. It should be an instant red card.

Casemiro grabs a collar in a joking manner and we have the video ref freeze framing and just showing that to make it look like he's grabbing him by the throat. Blatant corruption by several refs.

We can't get any headway in our games or season as it seems we're on an unjust payback from the Fergie era.

Oliver giving Dalot a double yellow within a minute for dissent.

United will say feck all.

Partly because of that whole “sort your own house out before blaming others” code of honour.

Mainly because Nottingham Forest were given a disproportionate fine as a warning to every other club that might dare question the cartel.

There have been a lot of howlers in the Premier League, but I’m struggling to think of a worse VAR decision than that.

Why not admit that we can’t bloody finish if our life depended on it. We allowed the Hammers to stick around until there was a marginal penalty call against us.

That might be the worst VAR decision I've ever seen.

....since the last one that was given against us.

Wondering how they're going to top this one.

United need to call out these things.

A Southampton player grabs Bruno by the throat and throws him down clear as can be, nothing happens. It should be an instant red card.

Casemiro grabs a collar in a joking manner and we have the video ref freeze framing and just showing that to make it look like he's grabbing him by the throat. Blatant corruption by several refs.

We can't get any headway in our games or season as it seems we're on an unjust payback from the Fergie era.

Oliver giving Dalot a double yellow within a minute for dissent.
Our dumbass club specializes in pointess PR, why don't they focus on this ?

I'm fine with them showing that one angle in this case, as that angle completely proved it was not a penalty.
And especially not one that clears the ridiculously high 'clear and obvious' bar that they have set by design to prevent the game from being re-refereed.

2-week holiday for Oliver I presume during which he'll go on a City sponsored trip.

It’s time that we as a club started to make a stand against refs. Week in week out.

This season todays game is the first one where we haven’t been on the receiving end of the first yellow card of the game and only the 3rd game where we haven’t received more yellows than the opponent.

Those are the small margins that influence games…However in the last twelves months we have seen VAR step in to award the ridiculous penalty to City for Hojlund on Rodri, never ever do they step in for that…The penalty today (both Oliver) not overturning Bruno’s red which was utterly ridiculous and also a subjective offside call on Maguire…I’ve never heard of a subjective offside.

This cannot continue. Of course there are lots of other incidents where we haven’t got decisions but these are all instances where var has intervened or chose not to….that are categorically either wrong or never intervened for.

Disgraceful

Howard Webb, this year we are going to lean toward Referee’s Call.

Oliver, piss on that you better overturn that decision and give it.

3 weeks after they had to aplogise for the Bruno red and we get this.

We need to demand a replay because that decision goes against everything we've been told VAR is for. I'm fuming.

There have been a lot of howlers in the Premier League, but I’m struggling to think of a worse VAR decision than that.
Nahhh. It was just soft. The issue is VAR intervened. If the ref calls that initially the uproar wouldn’t be as great. It’s almost like they were waiting for you lot to give away a foul.

The sport is completely finished, I am done with it. You have the league bought every year by a team who has cheated to do it and a referee they have a close relationship with who has given decisions against us for a decade that have no explanation other than corruption.

Its like losing your mind to carry on engaging with the sport while pundits etc just don't discuss it. The game is broken

Why not admit that we can’t bloody finish if our life depended on it. We allowed the Hammers to stick around until there was a marginal penalty call against us.
I get what youre saying, in an ideal world we shouldn't have any trouble beating West Ham. The reality is very different though and you can't wave away a bad call because it shouldn't have mattered.

What's the fecking point of referee watching the VAR screen when they never ever have the balls to overwrite VAR. Just ask the fecking VAR make the decision. Don't waste the fecking millions of people time waiting for the referee to watch the VAR screen. It's fecking useless and pointless VAR procedure

Of course it was Oliver on VAR.

Ref looked absolutely terrified to make the call.
Can’t wait to hear the audio. You can put your money on Oliver pushing the ref into the decision. The blatantly corrupt cnut.

It would be patethic from our club not to call for investigation. Should have been done couple of years ago.

By now, We know how We are treated. By referees and media.

You'll never guess who the VAR was for that last Sunday?

Thank God we're not going for the title or are even in a top four fight because that decision today was utterly horrendous and could have really damaged our season. In the grand scheme of things it means very little because our league position will be no higher than eight. Expecting another apology next week.

The ref had to watch it like 15 times, probably with Oliver in his ear saying 'If you look closely, this is where he could have killed him'.

I'd be useless working in pro football, there's no way I wouldn't be banging down that ref's door after that. What a fukking joke.

What's the fecking point of referee watching the VAR screen when they never ever have the balls to overwrite VAR. Just ask the fecking VAR make the decision. Don't waste the fecking millions of people time waiting for the referee to watch the VAR screen. It's fecking useless and pointless VAR procedure
They have to keep up the illusion.

When you're the team to beat (City) and all eyes are on you, officials are scared to make the big decisions against you. Scared to be the one who derails the party. Espcally when Citys owners have so much influence.

It was like that for us for 2 decades. Officials were scared to be the one who stood up to Fergie/United. The knew all hell would break loose if they did. Its great when its going your way.

Now we've fallen a long way, ETH is on the edg and its almost encouraged to get a kick in. Officials now WANT to be the one who gets that last nail in. They dont fear reprecutions. They want the limelight.

It's wrong but its how the cookie crumbles. We've become weak on all levels.