VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Crap decision... ref probably swayed by how absolutely poor we were playing and should have been 3 down. What's the point of VAR if that isn't properly checked!!

But the slip has to be a mitigating factor to say

"hey did you know he slipped rather than dived in there?"

"Oh no, I thought that was a lunge"

"OK go the screen and look again sure"

surely that's what the conversation has to be?
Does slipping mean he kicks his foot out at a height?

Kavanagh and entire team should be stood down. Unanimous agreement that it's simply an awful call and has decided the game. We were crap but half time is always a chance to reset

Stupid from Bruno to throw his leg out like that after he slipped but that is nothing more than a yellow card, he hardly touches the opponent and the touch is well below knee hight.

If they've looked at all angles and still agreed that's a red they must be utterly terrible at their job.

We'll appeal that for sure.

I don't think it was a bad decision by the ref per se. The first angle reply it looked a red. But the other angle it's clearly a slip with no force and the var has to intervene there. That's what it is there for
It doesn't feel like a real surprise that it still wasn't used for it though, is it? The way it is actually used is very different to how it should be used clearly.

It doesn't feel like a real surprise that it still wasn't used for it though, is it? The way it is actually used is very different to how it should be used clearly.
I'm not arguing that. It was more you questioning the referee. He isn't running VAR. It on field decision wasn't the big issue here imo

I'm not arguing that. It was more you questioning the referee. He isn't running VAR. It on field decision wasn't the big issue here imo
It becomes the big issue when we all know that VAR won't intervene. The ref on the pitch still got it wrong, that doesn't change even if those who should be correcting him didn't do their job well either.

It becomes the big issue when we all know that VAR won't intervene. The ref on the pitch still got it wrong, that doesn't change even if those who should be correcting him didn't do their job well either.
But it looked bad..it looked like he lunged knee high. I think every ref gives red there. But var should over turn it 100 out of 100 times

If they've looked at all angles and still agreed that's a red they must be utterly terrible at their job.

We'll appeal that for sure.
The bar for overturning a decision like that is literally zero contact being made. Any contact and VAR don’t have licence to undermine the on field referee.

At half-time they said it was serious foul play according to VAR rather than reckless.

Avoiding the fact that the statement is an irrefutable lie, that also means a 3 match ban for Bruno.
Should be easily over turned. No way the 3 man panel agree with that decision

The bar for overturning a decision like that is literally zero contact being made. Any contact and VAR don’t have licence to undermine the on field referee.
Is this a written rule or just something you think goes on behind closed doors?

Not necessarily saying you're wrong but they overturned tripper against man city last year. It's been posted in this thread since brunos red

They didn't overturn either of the two incorrect Casemiro reds in 22/23. Lost him for 4 and 5 games for each red.
One of those he careered off the ball and studded someone though. And the other one hands round a neck? Those 2 were never getting overturned.

But it looked bad..it looked like he lunged knee high. I think every ref gives red there. But var should over turn it 100 out of 100 times
Didn't look like a red to me in real time, felt like a big overreaction from the spurs players and Neville on commentary. We can see things differently in real time though I suppose depending on angle.

Didn't look like a red to me in real time, felt like a big overreaction from the spurs players and Neville on commentary. We can see things differently in real time though I suppose depending on angle.
Neville even changed his mind when he seen the reply.

Was correct var wouldn't overturn it though

You're saying giving a red when it's the wrong decision is not a big issue?

I'm saying it looked like a red from that angle he had. When you see it from the other angle it clearly isn't and var has to step in and help the ref there. That's what it is there for.

On field refs make mistakes. Thats why var was invented.

Is this a written rule or just something you think goes on behind closed doors?

Not necessarily saying you're wrong but they overturned tripper against man city last year. It's been posted in this thread since brunos red

Here:

Video assistant referees at PGMOL’s Stockley Park base have been told not to get involved in subjective calls, instead only intervening when there is a ‘clear and obvious error’. A new term will also be heard: “referee’s call”. It will be used to make it clear the on-pitch decision is critical in the process, and that this should stand unless there is, yes, a clear and obvious error

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...league-changes-2024-25-var-handball-offsides/

I said when this was announced that we will see more infuriating incorrect decisions because of this. It’s come from the referees not from fans. Fans just want correct decisions, Referees don’t want to be undermined.

We now have the worst of both worlds, VAR stop the game to review the footage and then 99.9% of times go with the on field decision despite it being ridiculous.

No complaints on the Bruno red - it's the sort of decision from a player who shows a lack of real footballing IQ that I expected.

He's slipped so is by definition out of control
Throws out a leg, which is reckless and foot ends up way too high.

Only thing that needs reviewing is how this moron has managed to become our captain despite lacking every character trait required

Here:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...league-changes-2024-25-var-handball-offsides/

I said when this was announced that we will see more infuriating incorrect decisions because of this. It’s come from the referees not from fans. Fans just want correct decisions, Referees don’t want to be undermined.

We now have the worst of both worlds, VAR stop the game to review the footage and then 99.9% of times go with the on field decision despite it being ridiculous.
Madness. Is this clear and obvious only in the PL or implemented all across Europe?

No, they do have the license. They’re not going to do it but that’s the issue of how that entire dynamic works in real life, where the main priority for referees are to protect other referees and their “authority”.

Stonewall penalty denied. Impressive
Nah, that’s not a stonewall penalty. It wouldn’t be surprising to see it being given but there’s a good argument against doing it, he doesn’t attempt to play the ball with it, his hand is down and the ball hits his body first.

Nvm the red cards, how is it Spurs keep committing tactical fouls without getting a yellow? Solanke the latest on Martinez, no yellow, then minutes later Ugarte gets a yellow.