VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Moronic tackle by Bruno but also a terrible call.

This is a textbook example of why VAR is broken. It’s understandable for the onfield referee to not see this clearly and if he had the benefit of replay nobody would give a red. But VAR too chickenshit to intervene.

Honestly perplexed how var doesn't call him over to check it. Its not reckless, he's just stretching and trips him up at shin height? Specially after the slip, Bizarre.

Don't understand how it was a red.

Luckily, we've been so terrible in the first half that I don't think it would have impacted the outcome of this game anyway.

Bruno slipped then clips Maddison shin with the back of his foot. So no intent, not reckless, no endangerment of another player.

How does that not get overturned?

I understand that the referee misinterprets it as a studs challenge into high leg in real time, mainly because of Maddison's simulation, but VAR was literally created to prevent game changing incompetence from referees affecting games.

Bizarre. It's not even a yellow. Rodri makes 4-5 tactical trips every game to stop counters high enough up the pitch to not be booked.

I don’t even care but it’s farcical not to overturn that red. Textbook example of when VAR would be needed and it does nothing.

I think the refs are under more of a directive to award straight reds for high challenges. Problem is that force rather than height is the key factor in determining how dangerous a tackle is. So we end up with stupid decisions like that.

Harsh red, more of a block, but seeing red card for this type of challenge this season so no complaints I guess

Bruno slipped then clips Maddison shin with the back of his foot. So no intent, not reckless, no endangerment of another player.

I understand that the referee misinterprets it as a studs challenge into high leg in real time, mainly because of Maddison's simulation, but VAR was literally created to prevent game changing incompetence from referees affecting games.

Bizarre. It's not even a yellow. Rodri makes 4-5 tactical trips every game to stop counters high enough up the pitch to not be booked.
Studs up you say fair enough stupid from Bruno!

But his studs were literally 180 degrees away from the man. It was a tap just to stop him going by.

There was 0 chance of injury to the player, it wasn’t forceful.

One of the worst straight reds you’ll see. If only there was a video system to review these decisions.

Problem is that you got experts saying he hit his knee with the studs. If you didn’t watch game you could believe that but that is just lie. Nothing else.

Shocking decisions. Something we have been served over and over again. It will keep going until our club demand explanation and transparency.

Here's me still here thinking why's it okay to headbutt your own teammate in a celebration of a save but do it to an opponent far softer and it's a red. (Vicario fyi) :lol:

We know why though. If you're a var official and you overturn an Ipswich red its not a story. If you overturn a Bruno Fernandes red you're the most famous man in England. They're cowards, probably some cheats, plenty of ego maniacs, but above all cowards

Has to send him to the screen once the replay shows the slip

For me it's less about the slip (because he still chooses to stretch out his leg to make contact) and more about the complete lack of force or risk in the tackle.

Maddison is such a little rat too. He would barely have felt it with shin pads on.

3 for 3 in the studio. VAR in the absolute mud, but hey, they voted to keep it didn't they?

The more you see it, the worse the decision looks. Baffling that VAR didn't suggest that the ref might want to look at it again.

Genuinely think that is overturned for most other teams.

Madison is such a little rat too. He would barely have felt it with shin pads on.
In his mind he must have been "yeah let's get him an easy yellow card" Can't believe his luck the ref is a moron

For me it's less about the slip (because he still chooses to stretch out his let to make contact) and more about the complete lack of force or risk in the tackle.
But the slip has to be a mitigating factor to say

"hey did you know he slipped rather than dived in there?"

"Oh no, I thought that was a lunge"

"OK go the screen and look again sure"

surely that's what the conversation has to be?

It looked nothing like a red in real time, there simply wasn't enough force. But for VAR not to send the ref to watch it again is scandalous.

There is absolutely no point in it with the way it is being used. If a question isn't asked of the referee for that Bruno red card, then I really don't see the point in having it. Pathetic, they aren't interested in having the correct decision fundamentally.

Moronic tackle by Bruno but also a terrible call.

This is a textbook example of why VAR is broken. It’s understandable for the onfield referee to not see this clearly and if he had the benefit of replay nobody would give a red. But VAR too chickenshit to intervene.
Moronic? He slipped whilst running and was trying to regain balance.

On the replays that really is incredible. Back of his heel taps the other chap’s shin. VAR complete failure.

We’ve been abysmal but I was curious to see if we’d be any different in the second half. That straight red spoils any chance of a recovery. Completely unnecessary.

Not even close to a red. The standard for officiating and VAR has hit the floor completely

There is absolutely no point in it with the way it is being used. If a question isn't asked of the referee for that Bruno red card, then I really don't see the point in having it. Pathetic, they aren't interested in having the correct decision fundamentally.
I don't think it was a bad decision by the ref per se. The first angle reply it looked a red. But the other angle it's clearly a slip with no force and the var has to intervene there. That's what it is there for

VAR in the premier league is broken. Once the SAOF system comes in they should bin off VAR entirely since that’s all they seem to use it for

Seemed like the perfect opportunity for VAR to say to the ref ‘you may have missed something in real time there, take a look on a monitor and see if you stand by the original decision’.

All VAR does is back up poor decisions, too scared to tell their mates they got it wrong.

It's clearly payback for not giving Martinez the red last week. I was fully expecting it to be Ugarte or Casemiro at the end of one of these decisions.