VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Yeah, exactly. As with previous year concerns with stuff like managers straying out of the technical area, players taking too long on throw ins, or players who aren't the captain appealing to the referee its another example of PGMOL being a moronic organization and deciding to concern themselves with petty bullshit rather than trying to figure out how to do better at the important things, like getting violent conduct and penalty decisions right. And the same pattern is likely to happen as those previous rule emphases - they'll enforce it totally inconsistently for a while, and then they'll eventually give up enforcing it at all.

Yeah, next time he makes a challenge it'll just be a penalty and it'll be deserved because he got away with one.

Dermott Gallagher say the Martinez challenge wasnt a red because he didnt make contact with the player

Unless of course the on-field ref gave a red. In which case, Dermott Gallagher would say it's a red.

So Haaland will escape punishment for throwing the ball at Gabriel's head after scoring. Can our players do that without getting sent off?

No he wasn't. He was sent of for swinging at him.

I remember Keane himself saying his only regret was that the punch was a rubbish one.
The punch attempt was after the red card. Keane was sent off for throwing the ball at Shearer then he started running towards Shearer to try punch him. At least that's what the video clips on YT show

He was sent off for the punch attempt. Keane himself said so.
Watch the YT clips...

edit: you're right. Most of the YT clips don't show the punch cause of attempted violence I guess :D

I did find a clip and saw the punch

I wouldn't scream "conspiracy" if Martinez had been sent off - to put it that way. When I saw the replay, it didn't look quite as bad because he wasn't really close to the player - but the way he set his feet down was red-ish

Keane may have already been on a yellow. Ref only had a yellow and took out the straight red after the swing, because the yellow fell to the ground.
yeah this was the last clip I saw which confirmed the punch to me. I literally searched up the videos to back up my statement and 3 of them were edited and show no punch, hence why i thought it was for the throw at Shearer haha

I'm just so tired of the "dark arts" now. It's a fecking poison on the sport. When I'm watching top flight matches these days I'm just sighing, rolling my eyes and getting angry at all the time-wasting, fake injuries, tactical injuries for team talks, tactical fouls that stop some actual fecking football being played. You can just tell all this rubbish is actually worked on in training too.

This win at any cost shite is ruining the sport.

More and more people are coming around to the idea that VAR is a bit shit and adds very little to the actual enjoyment of the game.

And here's the thing: I kinda believe we - as fans - can get rid of it. It's one of the few aspects of the top level, increasingly soulless, treating-fans-as-consumers, ultra-monetized game I think we have a plausible influence over...if we care to protest against it on a large enough scale.

It's not something the (utterly corrupt) football authorities are attached to for financial reasons. They would make just as much money without it, presumably.

You Germans booing Cucurella for the rest of the tournament for a correct refereeing decision while Spain strolled to a well-deserved victory was hilariously small time. Thanks for reminding us again.
matches of the Nationalmannschaft, especially during the big tournaments, attract a special kind of audience, the kind that makes up for having no clue about the sport, and no interest in it otherwise, by having a strong concept of who "ze enemy" is. I'm sure that is completely different in other countries :D

I'm just so tired of the "dark arts" now. It's a fecking poison on the sport. When I'm watching top flight matches these days I'm just sighing, rolling my eyes and getting angry at all the time-wasting, fake injuries, tactical injuries for team talks, tactical fouls that stop some actual fecking football being played. You can just tell all this rubbish is actually worked on in training too.

And semi supported by media and commentators.

Goalie takes ages for a goal kick… he’s cleverly giving his team chance to regroup

Dives/go down easy… he’s clever to win his team a free kick

Clipping someone’s heels … right decision, took one for the team

All should be booked, every time. Then when they get to reds, their managers can have their five minute moan … before they eventually realise its here to stay and tell their players to stop it as it’s costing them results.

But I know refs would be inconsistent and it’d create uproar re bias.

Agreed on all of this, for what was billed as a battle of the big two teams at the weekend it just devolved into children trying to get other side in trouble. Pathetic, and one of the worst spectacles I've seen in the league. It needs addressed.

It won't be Sky or their pundits that help with the changing either, they have a product to protect.