United charged for failing to control players vs Chelsea

Referees are treated like an endangered species. If someone told the FA that referees were the people most affected by climate change, you'd need written permission to use spray on deodorant in a dressing room before the day was done.

I repeat...regardless...etc etc.

the ref doesnt have to warn an entire team not to surround him. They just shouldnt do it
Rules are rules, by t it's about time the refs have to answer for their blatant mistakes. Somebody touching you is not worthy of a yellow. If he felt they crowded him, why didn't he deal with it? Is he too weak?

Seems to me the FA are diverting the heat

I'm surprised with the number of people giving a feck. It's like Bluemoon in here. We'll get a £10 fine and move on.

Rules are rules, by t it's about time the refs have to answer for their blatant mistakes. Somebody touching you is not worthy of a yellow. If he felt they crowded him, why didn't he deal with it? Is he too weak?

Seems to me the FA are diverting the heat
thats irrelevant.... the Utd players should know better especially after seeing the FA dish out fines to City and Chelsea not so long back ....anyway it will be a small fine and everyone moves on.
Be grateful that the same ref said he saw the stamp, missed the 2 footed lunge etc etc

Should charge Michael Oliver with failing to control the game.

He gave out two yellow cards after Herrera. Two. Roho deserved 3. Costa deserved 6. (5 of those just for being Costa). Pogba deserved 1 just for not trying. Smalling deserved 1. Commentators deserved 1 each
Agree with the first bit. Absolute disgrace and ruined a very good match over two incidents which were not even fouls.

Second bit I disagree. Rojo was superb and got the best of Costa fair and square.

This is a country that looked the other way when DDG was getting it just as bad as Hazard last night and called it a legitimate tactic to rough him up.
He needs a break from reffing us, this can't go on
Was De Gea getting it bad? Can only really think of one incident, when he recieved treatment? And to be fair as much as I despise Costa it wasn't intentional it was just a coming together.

Was De Gea getting it bad? Can only really think of one incident, when he recieved treatment? And to be fair as much as I despise Costa it wasn't intentional it was just a coming together.
Every pundit to a man was saying opposition players should go in strong against him, rough him up a bit.
The thing is people say he's improved in the physical side but that approach stopped a long time ago, it's like everybody just forgot about it.
It's not like he's recovering from late challenges etc anymore. It doesn't make sense to me

Every pundit to a man was saying opposition players should go in strong against him, rough him up a bit.
The thing is people say he's improved in the physical side but that approach stopped a long time ago, it's like everybody just forgot about it.
It's not like he's recovering from late challenges etc anymore. It doesn't make sense to me
But surely the same can be said about almost any keeper, stick an elbow in his stones and he's not going to like it?

But surely the same can be said about almost any keeper, stick an elbow in his stones and he's not going to like it?
Yep, but DDG was a young foreigner so obviously he would crumble to the pressure of British brawn.
Its still as ridiculous now as it was back then. For all of the protection goalies get, the refs seemed to treat David differently due to this hive mindset.

F.A are cnuts. Wrong decision from the ref and the players went to express what they all felt without insulting and touching what the F.A is doing to us justifying the refs this season and the awful poor decisions against us. Feck.

thats irrelevant.... the Utd players should know better especially after seeing the FA dish out fines to City and Chelsea not so long back ....anyway it will be a small fine and everyone moves on.
Be grateful that the same ref said he saw the stamp, missed the 2 footed lunge etc etc
Be grateful? For Oliver?

I hate that crowding the ref shit. I hated it when it was Keano et al, I hate it now. It's classless, pointless intimidation and every team that allows it to happen should get hit for it.

absolutely...he was so inconsistent he missed a proper lunge and mis read a stamp
What tackle did he miss?

He ruined the game by sending Herrera off. Nothing to be grateful over. Costa dived 4 times in the space of 5 minutes trying to get a player sent off and didn't even get a talking to.

Stamp. Please. Could have gotten a red for intent, if there was intent, but Hazard didn't even notice it.

What tackle did he miss?

He ruined the game by sending Herrera off. Nothing to be grateful over. Costa dived 4 times in the space of 5 minutes trying to get a player sent off and didn't even get a talking to.

Stamp. Please. Could have gotten a red for intent, if there was intent, but Hazard didn't even notice it.
valencias 2 footed klunge...could have been a red card as well.
How can he ruin a game if a player is committing fouls..

Dunno why anyone is bothered about this. Wouldn't surprise me if Jose was happy about it as it helps him create his siege mentality.

People acting like there's a conspiracy, then why wasn't Rojo banned? It definitely warranted a ban.

The FA are just incompetent, and the incompetence has actually worked in our favour here.

valencias 2 footed klunge...could have been a red card as well.
How can he ruin a game if a player is committing fouls..
Didn't two foot anything. He went with his foot off the ground but studs weren't in first and he wasn't close to the player. He gave a foul and that was that.

Herrera got 2 yellow cards for 2 fouls and neither should have been yellow. A man down with 60 minutes left is obviously unbalanced and hard to come back from.

The FA should be charged for employing some of these refs. It's like a corrupt police department.

It will be a fine probably less than £100000 which is like fining us fans £2. Its an inconvenience but wont harm the bank balance. We got lucky with Rojos stamp so lets pay it and move on.

I blame the media for running "Jose's inhuman tactics" kind of news all day long

By that standard, assault and murder attempt cases should have been registered for Chelsea-Spurs match last season.

Feckin FA

Did Oliver write in his report "I saw stamp on Hazard and it was unintentional, but the way the Utd players ganged on me for sending off Herrera got me scared. I feared for my life and shit in my pants"

I hate that crowding the ref shit. I hated it when it was Keano et al, I hate it now. It's classless, pointless intimidation and every team that allows it to happen should get hit for it.

I hate seeing it too. Would love to see a proper, consistent crackdown on this but I doubt it'll happen.

To be fair, our players surrounded the Ref and made quite a scene. I was expecting this. Fair play to the FA, just hope it will be evenly applied across the league.
No white text?

I meant hope, FA, fair play, evenly applied across the league in one same sentence make no sense

Not surprised at all. I hope our defence is that a shit referee was making shit decisions. Like he does every time with us & in most other games too because he is a shit referee.

Rojo is fortunate.

You can go on saying it's irrelevant, but the ref should be able to deal with it at the time and hand out cards if necessary. If he didn't see them crowding him, then he should reconsider his profession. If he saw it, yet didn't act on it, he should reconsider his authority and thus his profession.

As for using the word irrelevant, your last sentence is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Why is it that referees cannot be criticised by managers and/or players, can someone give me a good reason?

Because refs are a protected species and of course are never wrong. You can't criticise them, you can't "show dissent" towards their calls or its a card, and soon enough players won't be allowed to talk to them unless they're the captain. Every year they are given more and more protection, and at the same time they are never, ever held accountable for the woeful refereeing that gets worse every season. And it certainly doesn't help that they're power tripping cnuts who love nothing more than having their name in headlines and think people tune in to see the ref.

Happy to pay the fine given Rojo escaped a ban.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the FA gave him 3 games so actually quite relieved with the news overall

Because refs are a protected species and of course are never wrong. You can't criticise them, you can't "show dissent" towards their calls or its a card, and soon enough players won't be allowed to talk to them unless they're the captain. Every year they are given more and more protection, and at the same time they are never, ever held accountable for the woeful refereeing that gets worse every season. And it certainly doesn't help that they're power tripping cnuts who love nothing more than having their name in headlines and think people tune in to see the ref.

Think the main reason they do this is to set an example for grassroots, that refs are protected. If they start bollocking the elite refs publicly over every little mistake, even less people will respect the ref, making it even harder at the grassroot level. They have issues getting people to become refs as it is, they don't want even less people becoming one because of the abuse they'll get if they ain't as protected.

The fact Oliver is an elite ref gives you an indication how shallow is the talent pool. And it's not like there's an abundance of great ref at the lower levels to promote up. Last thing they need is to make that pool even more shallow by publicly bollocking the refs and losing them.

For such a big match, I have no doubt all the big decisions have been reviewed afterwards and perhaps Oliver might've been told privately what he's missed or got wrong.

In public tho, there's no benefit to anyone for the FA to blast him. They need to maintain the image that refs are sacred and their decision is final.

Last edited:
I read that in the FA cup next season they are trialling video evidence as the game goes on. This will probably result in 60 minute halves, as there will be that many stoppages.

I'm not a ref but I imagine it's very hard making quick decisions in front of very large and vociferous crowds. The Utd players did crowd the ref and the FA changed the rules at the beginning of the season precisely to stop this type of behaviour. End of. Chelsea received a £100,000 fine after the complaints against Aguero's lunge on David Luis. City got £35,000 despite instigating the trouble and pushing Cesc Fabregas over a barrier. I thought the FA got that wrong and unfairly punished Chelsea more because they were Chelsea.

Utd will probably get a larger fine than Chelsea as the FA may be thinking the message isn't getting through. Oh yes and because they don't like Jose.

Ref crowding is a problem and the FA need to consider other means of assisting the refs. It's time for video refs of some kind.

The main thing the players surrounding the ref showed was that the surprise all of the players (including Smalling) felt after the red card. It blows out of the water "the ref said the next player to foul Hazard is getting booked" story that is being reported as fact despite nobody having a clue what was said.

Ridiculous charge. Nothing lucky about Rojo not getting charged because there was absolutely nothing in it. Just a really poorly officiated game and this charge just rubs salt in the wound after a terrible refereeing decision decided the game.