UK Policing

I would like to see it because one of the stories out there is this guy on the ground was the one who assaulted officers and broke the nose of a female officer. I’ve since read somewhere that the group who assaulted the officers weren’t this family, and they had actually called the police because their mum was being racially abused. There’s nothing they could show prior to this incident that would justify attempted murder by this police officer but it would certainly go a long way in clarifying the situation.
This is where I'm confused. I don't think it would clarify the situation. Maybe if the dude was armed and still had said gun/knife in his hand then I could accept the kick in the head, maybe, but he was subdued on the ground
No, just as a matter of fact, it has nothing to do with the bloke you were referencing being an idiot.
Even if it was the same person, I'd still struggle to accept the kick to the head as understandable let alone justified.

Don’t know how this is going to pan out, but whoever was responsible for hospitalising 3 officers, going for an armed police officers gun and breaking a police woman’s nose is in serious trouble.

you shouldn't be so quick to judge, let's see the full video first for context

for all you know the lad is a hero for taking out three racist cops on a violent rampage

you shouldn't be so quick to judge, let's see the full video first for context

for all you know the lad is a hero for taking out three racist cops on a violent rampage
That’s exactly what I’ve been saying ….wait for the full video and lead up to the incident.

Doubt anyone being seen as a hero.

Last edited:
This is where I'm confused. I don't think it would clarify the situation. Maybe if the dude was armed and still had said gun/knife in his hand then I could accept the kick in the head, maybe, but he was subdued on the ground

I think this officer should be in a world of trouble no matter what. We’ve seen the video. It’s attempted murder as far as I’m concerned, and nothing that happened prior could justify this level of use of force.

Lots of people seem certain this lad attacked the police officers, but there are conflicting information out there about who actually broke the female officers nose. It would go a long way in clarifying that part.

This is catnip to Farage, EDL and Reform isn’t it ? :(

Could have the ingredients to really kick off, especially if that lad on the floor had nothing to do with the attacks on the policemen/woman.

Big/quick test for the new Home Sec.
I think it’s fair to say that they weren’t anything to do with the assaults on the officers. I’d be happy to go on record to say that they would not have been out to give an interview in the time frame that they had if they had assaulted any cop to that extent

Gets worse and worse.

I’ve changed how I’d describe this situation.

I used the word understandable last night but as new information is available I absolutely do not understand how even in a racist organisation someone thinks they can do what the officer did.

I’d made the foolish assumption the victim was the assaulter of the officers but that appears not to be true.

What a horrific state of affairs this is.

Whatever the situation a cop kicking someone in the head when they were already no danger to you can't be justified in any way. His efforts should have been on what else was happening around him.

If he’s suggesting there’s a need for context before determining that it’s wrong to kick someone in the head whilst they’re lay on the ground, then he’s definitely an idiot.
Question; is there a situation where it is acceptable?

Gets worse and worse.

I’ve changed how I’d describe this situation.

I used the word understandable last night but as new information is available I absolutely do not understand how even in a racist organisation someone thinks they can do what the officer did.

I’d made the foolish assumption the victim was the assaulter of the officers but that appears not to be true.

What a horrific state of affairs this is.
Good lord, I'm with you on this

I'm playing devil's advocate, so let me clear I agree but say if the person had just murdered eight people, I imagine there would be a context where the act is mitigated?

No.

There is no context where a person who has already been detained and is lay face down on the ground, and it is then in anyway ok to repeatedly kick them in the head.

Regardless of what crime they may have hypothetically committed, they’ve been detained, arrest them and put them through the process of the justice system.

I'm playing devil's advocate, so let me clear I agree but say if the person had just murdered eight people, I imagine there would be a context where the act is mitigated?
What you’re talking about is cheap schadenfreude, it’s obviously totally different to the morality of the question.

The subject was neutralised, it’s down to the courts to decide what the punishment is, it clearly never should be delivered by the boots of an officer in an emotional situation. At the end of the day, until the courts decide, your example is only “allegedly” murdered 8 people.

No.

There is no context where a person who has already been detained and is lay face down on the ground, and it is then in anyway ok to repeatedly kick them in the head.

Regardless of what crime they may have hypothetically committed, they’ve been detained, arrest them and put them through the process of the justice system.
Agreed.

What you’re talking about is cheap schadenfreude, it’s obviously totally different to the morality of the question.

The subject was neutralised, it’s down to the courts to decide what the punishment is, it clearly never should be delivered by the boots of an officer in an emotional situation. At the end of the day, until the courts decide, your example is only “allegedly” murdered 8 people.
Of course, that's, erm, the point of a hypothetical question.

It was understanding if there is ever a context in which that level of violence would or could be justified.

Was not, I repeat, a commentary on the officer in question.

Police officer admits stealing money from man who died after collapsing
A police officer has admitted misconduct in public office after stealing £115 from a man who died after collapsing.

Metropolitan Police officer Craig Carter, 51, took the money from a wallet which had belonged to Claudio Gaetani between 7 and 14 September 2022.

Carter, of Harlow, Essex, admitted he took the money which had been "received by him in evidence" as he pleaded guilty at Wood Green Crown Court in north London today.
https://news.sky.com/story/police-o...y-from-man-who-died-after-collapsing-13185295

What I don't understand is why Armed Response Officers were called out to deal with this situation. Armed response officers are there for one reason - to drop someone threatening others with a weapon - not to deal with a maul / scrap type situation. If they were "on patrol" and the incident happened nearby then they should not get involved but call for other officers to backup.

Armed Response Officers are carrying assault rifles, handguns and tasers and will use the most appropriate weapon to take the person down. Tasers for people armed with knives - handguns for extreme close quarters with potential nearby innocents and assault rifle for when the threat has firearms or potential IED's. I worked at the Airport in the late 80's when the ARO's first appeared at Manchester airport following the attacks at Rome and Vienna airports in 1985 and it was a big culture change - they were patrolling and not to be messed with!

Anyone of their "tools" is potentially lethal in the wrong hands and so they don't get involved in crowd control / officer being attacked unless there is an explicit threat to life. They should not be getting involved in situations where their weapons might be grabbed by someone else.

I'm in no way excusing the police of their actions in this video but some significant info has clearly not been released yet. It just doesn't currently make sense how they ended up getting involved in this situation.

What I don't understand is why Armed Response Officers were called out to deal with this situation. Armed response officers are there for one reason - to drop someone threatening others with a weapon - not to deal with a maul / scrap type situation. If they were "on patrol" and the incident happened nearby then they should not get involved but call for other officers to backup.

Armed Response Officers are carrying assault rifles, handguns and tasers and will use the most appropriate weapon to take the person down. Tasers for people armed with knives - handguns for extreme close quarters with potential nearby innocents and assault rifle for when the threat has firearms or potential IED's. I worked at the Airport in the late 80's when the ARO's first appeared at Manchester airport following the attacks at Rome and Vienna airports in 1985 and it was a big culture change - they were patrolling and not to be messed with!

Anyone of their "tools" is potentially lethal in the wrong hands and so they don't get involved in crowd control / officer being attacked unless there is an explicit threat to life. They should not be getting involved in situations where their weapons might be grabbed by someone else.

I'm in no way excusing the police of their actions in this video but some significant info has clearly not been released yet. It just doesn't currently make sense how they ended up getting involved in this situation.
It’s at the airport. The number of ‘other’ officers will be bare minimum. This isn’t the city centre of Manchester or one of its suburbs where there will/should be a large number of officers ready to back up. The airport probably has 3:4 other officers to deal with things, if that.

Besides, it was a public order situation with numerous people involved. The fact that firearms officers were involved should not be the question, they attend similar incidents all over GMP on a daily basis. The behaviour when they got there was possibly the problem, not the fact they had guns strapped to them

Categorically there is some situations, yes.

This one probably doesn’t fit one of those situations but there is definitely some times when it may be

Categorically no there are not any situations where it’s acceptable to kick someone in the head repeatedly whilst they are already being held down lay on the floor.

Oh I agree

So now you agree there are situations where it is acceptable? This morning you agreed there are never situations where it is acceptable.

Categorically no there are not any situations where it’s acceptable to kick someone in the head repeatedly whilst they are already being held down lay on the floor.
Well, I beg to differ.

I also don’t believe that he was being ‘held down’ either but that's a different conversation.

Well, I beg to differ.

I also don’t believe that he was being ‘held down’ either but that's a different conversation.

In what circumstances is it acceptable in your mind to kick someone repeatedly in the head whilst they are lay on the ground posing no threat to anyone?

The person is laying down and is no threat when the officer kicks them and stamps on them. Nobody needs to be there to see that it's excessive force with no justification.
Totally agree. There is no reason that can justify what happened while they were restrained on the ground.

Just rewatched it and OK he wasn’t held down at that point, I misremembered that, but he’s lay face down with his mother (?) next to him, and absolutely no threat to anyone.

Just rewatched it and OK he wasn’t held down at that point, I misremembered that, but he’s lay face down with his mother (?) next to him, and absolutely no threat to anyone.
Weren't his hands behind his back and was complying with instructions too.