UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think 'Shy Tories' is a fair term for them. Ashamed Tories would be more apt. There's an absolute cretin here that voted for them at the last election and would clarify it with "I've never voted Tory but..." which I assume is the new "I'm not racist but...."

And yes, he also voted for Brexit.

Not shy. Just less aggressive than the shouty left wing lot. Tend to keep their heads down and get on with things rather than ranting.

no chance I’m voting Tory in its current form. And the same goes for labour.

James Cleverly really is an odious twat and a pompous bully. And a cnut.

What a performance on BBC Newsnight.

We pay good rates. People here earn very good money. However, some do crazy amounts of overtime too. In fact I might war-game 4 days on a rolling shift pattern - I might surprise myself. We do have the technology. It would mean an increase in head count which does have problems with the current skill shortages. There will be some very unhappy staff as they will be pegged to a flat week. So they might leave causing further recruitment difficulties. We are talking employing more people on a flat rolling 32 hour week and whether the savings on overtime premiums allows us to lift the overall flat rates. The overtime kings will be pissed off but the rest might not.

Why don't you go and help them instead of posting on here, lead by example ;)

We pay good rates. People here earn very good money. However, some do crazy amounts of overtime too. In fact I might war-game 4 days on a rolling shift pattern - I might surprise myself. We do have the technology. It would mean an increase in head count which does have problems with the current skill shortages. There will be some very unhappy staff as they will be pegged to a flat week. So they might leave causing further recruitment difficulties. We are talking employing more people on a flat rolling 32 hour week and whether the savings on overtime premiums allows us to lift the overall flat rates. The overtime kings will be pissed off but the rest might not.
A lot of railway companies have restructured in that way, by doing away with overtime and shift allowances, but increasing basic rates of pay. The result was indeed that some overtime kings were unhappy, but most existing staff preferred it, and the higher basic pay attracted a higher calibre of staff. I cant tell if you're talking about introducing shifts where there aren't any now though, that might be a hard sell.

A lot of railway companies have restructured in that way, by doing away with overtime and shift allowances, but increasing basic rates of pay. The result was indeed that some overtime kings were unhappy, but most existing staff preferred it, and the higher basic pay attracted a higher calibre of staff. I cant tell if you're talking about introducing shifts where there aren't any now though, that might be a hard sell.

Which railway companies are you talking about here? Pretty much every railway company I know of basically runs on overtime.

Which railway companies are you talking about here? Pretty much every railway company I know of basically runs on overtime.
Yes, there's still a lot of overtime, I think there always will be, but many of the TOCs have restructured so basic rates are higher, at the expense of overtime enhancements and other payments. Virgin, soon to disappear, to answer your question. :)

Not shy. Just less aggressive than the shouty left wing lot. Tend to keep their heads down and get on with things rather than ranting.

no chance I’m voting Tory in its current form. And the same goes for labour.
To be fair, if I supported policies which had actually killed people then I think I'd keep my head down too

Lib Dem's manifesto includes legalising weed...........

And to freeze rail fares for 5 years and some other trifling bits and bobs.

Doubt regular train users would say that freezing fares is trifling. Same for those concerned with climate change.

Yes, there's still a lot of overtime, I think there always will be, but many of the TOCs have restructured so basic rates are higher, at the expense of overtime enhancements and other payments. Virgin, soon to disappear, to answer your question. :)

Ah ok I wasn't aware of that, I've got friends who drive for Northern and they are in on overtime constantly.

I personally work for Network Rail, and without overtime they'd be screwed. Our terms and conditions state how many weekends and nights we can be rostered, however all work needs to be done on weekends and nights.

I'm guessing the TOCs have taken on a lot more staff in order to cut overtime?

Why don't you go and help them instead of posting on here, lead by example ;)
Funny enough I ran a job for a couple of hours yesterday which couldn't stop, because the guy's wife had gone into labour.

Took me back a few years but you should have seen the late shifts' faces.

'Feck's He doing here?'

I couldn’t watch live die to having a commentary to do last night and I didn’t get home until 3:45.

I just watched on itv hub and it seemed obvious that Boris only had BREXIT and very little else.

Corbyn stumbles in the middle but I thought started and ended strongly. What the feck was that festive question all about? And if I was corbyn I definitely would have said I’d get Boris condones for Christmas.

It would have been a lot better if it was properly moderated mind.

Lib Dem's manifesto includes legalising weed...........

And to freeze rail fares for 5 years and some other trifling bits and bobs.
How expensive are trains in the UK? In the US Amtrak is quite pricey but I have used it a lot going between DC and Philly. Every so often I have enough points for a free trip which is always nice. At a more regional level the MARC between Baltimore and DC is not a terrible service, didn’t use philly regional rail enough to comment. Back in Ireland, I thought Irish rail was really improving for a while but I felt like a lot of services regressed too in recent years. My dad uses it a lot and often complained but does so about most things :lol:

The whole idea of Labour giving Scotland a referendum if SNP form a coalition with them is crazy.

They form a coalition that gives them a working majority which subsequently evaporates if Scotland leave the Union and SNP politicians are no longer present in parliament. Genius.

Ah ok I wasn't aware of that, I've got friends who drive for Northern and they are in on overtime constantly.

I personally work for Network Rail, and without overtime they'd be screwed. Our terms and conditions state how many weekends and nights we can be rostered, however all work needs to be done on weekends and nights.

I'm guessing the TOCs have taken on a lot more staff in order to cut overtime?
They've probably more filled the vacancies. I was commenting to HJ on the benefit of having a higher basic rate of pay when it comes to recruiting staff really though.

The whole idea of Labour giving Scotland a referendum if SNP form a coalition with them is crazy.

They form a coalition that gives them a working majority which subsequently evaporates if Scotland leave the Union and SNP politicians are no longer present in parliament. Genius.
Shhhhhh.. your not suppose to say that bit out loud.

I'm guessing if there is to be a Labour & SNP coalition there won't be any second referendum on Scottish Independence for quite some time(Certainly not for the first term of the coalition). The SNP will support a potential Labour government in order have another referendum on EU membership.

Shhhhhh.. your not suppose to say that bit out loud.

I'm guessing if there is to be a Labour & SNP coalition there won't be any second referendum on Scottish Independence for quite some time(Certainly not for the first term of the coalition). The SNP will support a potential Labour government in order have another referendum on EU membership.

Don't see that at all, after all the bluster from Nicky? That would be coming away empty handed. Remaining would also deal a serious blow to independence given that the whole idea is that another referendum is necessary because we are no longer in the EU and many people voted to stay a part of the UK to ensure they remain in the EU.

Corbyn also said 'not in the early years of a Labour gov' so he'd likely offer them a referendum in 2024.

Last edited:

Because YouGov are the only ones with a methodology, all the others are just raw numbers. Raw numbers aren't reliable, see Liverpool always winning goals of the month, player of the month back in the day on online polls. The momentum/Corbynista lot are very active online, it doesn't mean that everyone else is biased.

Because YouGov are the only ones with a methodology, all the others are just raw numbers. Raw numbers aren't reliable, see Liverpool always winning goals of the month, player of the month back in the day on online polls. The momentum/Corbynista lot are very active online, it doesn't mean that everyone else is biased.

How can you watch that debate and say Boris won it. Find it remarkable if people thought that was the case.

How can you watch that debate and say Boris won it. Find it remarkable if people thought that was the case.

I never said that. Thought the debate was a shitshow with no winners.

They've probably more filled the vacancies. I was commenting to HJ on the benefit of having a higher basic rate of pay when it comes to recruiting staff really though.

Yeah no problem, was just intrigued as it's obviously a sector I work in, and that could be hugely affected by the result of this election.

How do you apply methodology to a poll? Surely you ask who won, and then the numbers that come back are what comes back.

How do you apply methodology to a poll? Surely you ask who won, and then the numbers that come back are what comes back.

I don't know but they claim to have done it.

They ask people that are registered with them and try and get a balanced view from conservatives, labour , other parties and undecideds.

Their polling is open to abuse and is like all polling, where many variables will influence a decision, inaccurate in my opinion. Someone will be along shortly to swear by it though.

Don't see that at all, after all the bluster from Nicky? That would be coming away empty handed. Remaining would also deal a serious blow to independence given that the whole idea is that another referendum is necessary because we are no longer in the EU and many people voted to stay a part of the UK to ensure they remain in the EU.

At the 4:00 minute.

Basically the SNP supporting a Labour government can keep the welfare transfers, remain in the EU, wait until the olds die off and still have the promise of a future referendum.

to make the people responding to the poll representative of the broader population/electorate - x% should be old, y% should be middle class, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.