UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get the high unemployment bit. I can't get staff for love nor money.

Yet you're advocating Brexit which is one of the main selling points by it's advocates and the ones currently trying to force it through is to limit movement into this country?

The debate was very depressing. I'm just sat on the train right now and two people are discussing how dangerous they believe Corbyn is and would be for the country as he hates the armed forces and wants to give child killers a second chance.

What is wrong with people. I am starting to see the reality is a Tory majority. Even a few of my mates who are working class guys were saying they'd vote Tory rather than Labour to get brexit finalised. Everyone is being sucked in and not looking at the balanced picture of the next 5 years.

By all means have different opinions but don't just base this on brexit as it's much much more.

Obviously, I don't know anything about his particular circumstances, but how much does it cost to rent a room in a shared house/flat in London? Round my way, for somewhere decent, you need to spend around £400 a month, I guess, but it's probably more in London. A friend of mine works as a labourer on a contract by contract basis, so he has periods when he is out of work, but he does rent a room. It's not ideal, but it must be a better option than a hostel, by the sounds of what he is saying. He has a job so will be able to get a reference from work and has regular earnings, even if it's zero hours.

And before you all throw your hands in the air and shout Tory! I am just trying understand why that is not a better option for this man.
Renting a room for £400 a month will cost a lot more than that. You need a deposit, you need to pay other fees, you probably need a phone to go looking around. I don't know which Prada store but my guess is finding a room for £400 in London might be a hell of a task.

Renting a room for £400 a month will cost a lot more than that. You need a deposit, you need to pay other fees, you probably need a phone to go looking around. I don't know which Prada store but my guess is finding a room for £400 in London might be a hell of a task.

My one bedroom flat in south london cost £850pm and that was ten years ago. Doubt you'd get something remotely acceptable for £400 these days.

The debate was very depressing. I'm just sat on the train right now and two people are discussing how dangerous they believe Corbyn is and would be for the country as he hates the armed forces and wants to give child killers a second chance.

What is wrong with people. I am starting to see the reality is a Tory majority. Even a few of my mates who are working class guys were saying they'd vote Tory rather than Labour to get brexit finalised. Everyone is being sucked in and not looking at the balanced picture of the next 5 years.

By all means have different opinions but don't just base this on brexit as it's much much more.

What's the child killer bit even referring to?

The country gets what it deserves, people like to blame politicians for not being convincing enough and there's certainly a lot of merit to it but at some point you've just got to look at the voting public and question if they're the problem. I'd extend that and say are certain generations the problem.

They're all over the media defending this factchecking BS.

What a pathetic party, government and attitude. How do these people expect to get any sort of respect from anyone with this kind of behaviour?

Yet you're advocating Brexit which is one of the main selling points by it's advocates and the ones currently trying to force it through is to limit movement into this country?
I was never an advocate of Brexit. I voted remain. I just think that we are where we are and the best course of action will be to leave on the best terms we can get. That's democracy, 'you wanted it, now here it is' if people don't like it then have another referendum and vote back in. In my view you can't just overturn a referendum result before it is implemented because you THINK it will be bad or you THINK that people didn't know what they were doing. It needs to be implemented and felt by the people. That will be the ultimate proof - for leavers and, unfortunately, for remainers too.

25% of my staff are from other EU countries so for me this is a crap situation.

I was never an advocate of Brexit. I voted remain. I just think that we are where we are and the best course of action will be to leave on the best terms we can get. That's democracy, 'you wanted it, now here it is' if people don't like it then have another referendum and vote back in. In my view you can't just overturn a referendum result before it is implemented because you THINK it will be bad or you THINK that people didn't know what they were doing. It needs to be implemented and felt by the people. That will be the ultimate proof - for leavers and, unfortunately, for remainers too.

25% of my staff are from other EU countries so for me this is a crap situation.
What makes you think the UK can just vote itself in again after leaving like this?

What a pathetic party, government and attitude. How do these people expect to get any sort of respect from anyone with this kind of behaviour?

It works though as they'll reason the Tories have to do it to stop baby eating Corbyn.

The Tory voting electorate or should i say those left still voting Tory this time are the type who would be defending Trump in the impeachment inquiry based on Fox News defence lines.

The political situation is soul destroying.
Toriea campaign on improving people's lives.

What makes you think the UK can just vote itself in again after leaving like this?
It can vote to re-apply. And any difficulty getting in and concessions that the UK will have to make should not be a reason for not implementing a democratic result that the vast majority of parliament said it would respect. I hate it with a vengeance, wrote to my local MP and everything. But I cannot see an easy route out of the situation. We have to leave in my view.

It works though as they'll reason the Tories have to do it to stop baby eating Corbyn.

The Tory voting electorate or should i say those left still voting Tory this time are the type who would be defending Trump in the impeachment inquiry based on Fox News defence lines.
Well equally, how do those people expect to get any respect (or deal) from anyone?

Anyone voting for these liars, imposters, frauds and schemers might aswell be one of them themeselves.

Even though the Foreign Secretary December Raab says on the BBC that nobody gives a toss about social media.
Really. Well if that is the case why rebrand their social media account.
It all centres on trust and primarily on telling the truth.
Does anyone really trust Boris and his party.

It can vote to re-apply. And any difficulty getting in and concessions that the UK will have to make should not be a reason for not implementing a democratic result that the vast majority of parliament said it would respect. I hate it with a vengeance, wrote to my local MP and everything. But I cannot see an easy route out of the situation. We have to leave in my view.
Fair enough, but would it be too much to ask to leave with some hint of self respect? It would certainly make everything after fact a lot easier. (Including rejoining)

Fair enough, but would it be too much to leave with some hint of self respect? It would certainly make everything after fact a lot easier. (Including rejoining)
Totally agree. This where people like Farage and the feckign ERG piss me off big time. They've put the whole issue on something resembling a war-footing. Like the EU are going to be disposed to giving us a great trade deal after we've fallen of a cliff, fecked both our economy and theirs, not paid the £39bn and agreed nothing about citizens rights and the Irish border. Those people must be something close to insane. I preferred May's deal to Johnson's but his seems to be the only one that has some sort of concensus that, if it is implemented will actually constitute Brexit. That at least will put Farage and the ERG back in their holes for a good long time. All efforts then need to go into building the future relationship - and that will probably turn out to be even worse than we have now. If that is how it transpires then maybe the case for re-joining will reach critical mass at some point.

Among the shower of the Tories, James Cleverly is especially skilled at coming off like a twat.

Fair enough, but would it be too much to ask to leave with some hint of self respect? It would certainly make everything after fact a lot easier. (Including rejoining)

I don't think it would make much difference on how the UK leaves currently, as you see it. These things are driven by pragmatism and if suits both parties at the time then it will happen. The UK would have had to have undergone a political sea change to get to that point anyway.

It isn't something that I see happening in the next 10 - 15 years either (if we actually leave).

Totally agree. This where people like Farage and the feckign ERG piss me off big time. They've put the whole issue on something resembling a war-footing. Like the EU are going to be disposed to giving us a great trade deal after we've fallen of a cliff, fecked both our economy and theirs, not paid the £39bn and agreed nothing about citizens rights and the Irish border. Those people must be something close to insane. I preferred May's deal to Johnson's but his seems to be the only one that has some sort of concensus that, if it is implemented will actually constitute Brexit. That at least will put Farage and the ERG back in their holes for a good long time. All efforts then need to go into building the future relationship - and that will probably turn out to be even worse than we have now. If that is how it transpires then maybe the case for re-joining will reach critical mass at some point.
I agree with almost all of that except the bolded part. His deal isn't materially much different than hers. She would have had all of the UK in the backstop while he will have N.I in the backstop without checks between N.I and UK which in effect will mean all of the UK is in the backstop (or the UK stops obeying laws).

His deal is being supported (by ERG) because it's him proposing it, because he is their puppet and they can control him once it's done. This wouldn't have been possible with May. If they support this and he needs them next year they can force their position to be the UK's position when the future relationship is finally being negotiated. Which will end in no deal (on future arrangments, not the wd).

I don't think it would make much difference on how the UK leaves currently, as you see it. These things are driven by pragmatism and if suits both parties at the time then it will happen. The UK would have had to have undergone a political sea change to get to that point anyway.

It isn't something that I see happening in the next 10 - 15 years either (if we actually leave).

At some point not trusting a liar is pragmatism. Anyone coming out of a negotiations with Boris Johnson saying "they have his word" would be laughed at themeselves all around Europe.

Best option for Conservative Remainers?

Hung Parliament, LibDems (general policies more aligned with Conservatives rather than Labour) support Tory Government on the understanding that there will be an early referendum on Boris deal vs remain. Remain wins by a huge majority (a couple of million should do it) stay in Europe, job's a good'un. :)

Maybe you're not offering the right amount of love or money! :D
We pay good rates. People here earn very good money. However, some do crazy amounts of overtime too. In fact I might war-game 4 days on a rolling shift pattern - I might surprise myself. We do have the technology. It would mean an increase in head count which does have problems with the current skill shortages. There will be some very unhappy staff as they will be pegged to a flat week. So they might leave causing further recruitment difficulties. We are talking employing more people on a flat rolling 32 hour week and whether the savings on overtime premiums allows us to lift the overall flat rates. The overtime kings will be pissed off but the rest might not.

If i were in the Lib Dems position I'd have stuck on the second referendum platform but offered a tax cut if we remain. I think it would have won them more of the southern seats than this odd platform of capital spending with austerity light.

Hung Parliament, LibDems (general policies more aligned with Conservatives rather than Labour) support Tory Government on the understanding that there will be an early referendum on Boris deal vs remain. Remain wins by a huge majority (a couple of million should do it) stay in Europe, job's a good'un. :)

Yeah good luck with that.

Like it or not ‘conservative remainer’ is now an impossible oxymoron. The only path to remain is one without the Tories in government.

You have to decide whether you’re a remainer or a Tory first and foremost, they’re now mutually exclusive things.

There's a few tories on my friends list and they are all doing the same thing. They are posting anti-Labour memes and articles, then claiming that they haven't made up their minds about who to vote for and that they're posting this material to create debate. Then when people challenge the assertions in the material, they defend it and spout ad hominem attacks on Corbyn. When they get pulled up on their nonsense, they start acting all childish and end up saying that they can't vote for anyone, they're all pricks, and that they are going to spoil their ballots.

There's a few tories on my friends list and they are all doing the same thing. They are posting anti-Labour memes and articles, then claiming that they haven't made up their minds about who to vote for and that they're posting this material to create debate. Then when people challenge the assertions in the material, they defend it and spout ad hominem attacks on Corbyn. When they get pulled up on their nonsense, they start acting all childish and end up saying that they can't vote for anyone, they're all pricks, and that they are going to spoil their ballots.
I can almost guarantee they’ll all vote Tory on December 12th:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_factor

Rueters said:
Swinson pledges to bring back hanging, and changing the colour of cheese & onion crisp packets to green again

I wish they had stipulated a confirmatory referendum at the outset. Totally obvious when you think about it.

It's like - paint me a picture and I'll buy it. Ok but you can't see it until it's finished and I can't really tell you how it will look. Ok then I want the chance to change my mind if I don't like it.

I don't think 'Shy Tories' is a fair term for them. Ashamed Tories would be more apt. There's an absolute cretin here that voted for them at the last election and would clarify it with "I've never voted Tory but..." which I assume is the new "I'm not racist but...."

And yes, he also voted for Brexit.

If i were in the Lib Dems position I'd have stuck on the second referendum platform but offered a tax cut if we remain. I think it would have won them more of the southern seats than this odd platform of capital spending with austerity light.
I think that would have split the Tory vote a lot more.

Isn't that this thread with Labour replaced by Tory, though?

I don't think 'Shy Tories' is a fair term for them. Ashamed Tories would be more apt. There's an absolute cretin here that voted for them at the last election and would clarify it with "I've never voted Tory but..." which I assume is the new "I'm not racist but...."

And yes, he also voted for Brexit.

Don't hold back mate! :lol:

Fairly predictable for a winter election I would have thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.