UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah thats one (very biased) way of saying what happened

seems pretty logical from JLM - seems ridiculous to say they cant be taken seriously on matters of antisemitism

I mean the labour party is pretty quick to expel people who voted lib dems in the euro elections

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/28/labour-expels-alastair-campbell-from-party

and without warning

The JLM had withdrawn the training years before as they didnt agree with it so it seems pretty logical they would suspend people who continued to offer that training

As always Jess Phillips sums it up well

That's like complaining that people get stuck with a parking ticket on the spot but murders take months/years to prosecute. Its completely disengenuous.

I also don't see why the JLM has a right to be in charge of the training materials VS an independent and highly respected organisation which won't be as likely to be influenced by political bias. They don't seem to have a problem with the training itself. The member in question obviously saw it as positive and just gets kicked out for trying to educate people on antisemitism. That's not exactly helping deal with the problem is it. Is that better than getting kicked out for supporting another party?

Whilst it isn't a sign of guilt the threshold is very high, so there is substance. Will have to wait and see what the report finds.

Which is why the EHRC are not investigating Windrush which has literally killed people

Never trust anyone with a beard.

Just because he's consistent doesn't mean he's consistently right. Hitler was also consistent. :) Alright, Mao and Stalin were (I think).
I've got a beard you beardist wankgoblin. Beardephobe....beard racist. Yeah, that'll do it. You fecking beard racist. oh and Hitler had a moustache and no beard so that's firmly your nose put out of joint I bet. End of.

What I'm seeing here and in other places is people expecting more detail about Corbyn's Brexit policy whilst accepting "Get Brexit DONE" as a viable and thorough assessment of Boris' proposal. It's almost like there's double standards or something.

Anyway, 'mon the SNP. Free fish finger sandwiches for any of our English neighbours who decide to migrate North (bring your own tent, there's no space left in mine). Northern Irish also welcome. The only Welsh allowed will be Steve and quite possibly the wifey who used to be in Torchwood unless you promise not to bother our sheep because nobody likes Johnny Foreigners coming to their country and chatting up their birds.

Paul, you don’t strike me as a knob, of which there are few knocking about the CE. Please tell me do you really believe Labour will give people a 2nd ref and who would you rather be in charge of Brexit, Corbyn or Boris? If you say Swinson I’ll recategorise you and move on.

I don't rate any leader of any of the parties. I don't disbelieve Labour would give people a second referendum, what I don't believe is that there will be a credible deal to be put up as the other choice within a short space of time or that if such a deal was BRINO it just wouldn't be acceptable to people because all you would be asking is to choose between staying in the EU with a say or staying in the EU without a say.
I have no dog in the fight as they say so this exercise for me is just purely trying to think rationally. I find people are putting loyalties to their parties are clouding judgements.

I don't rate any leader of any of the parties. I don't disbelieve Labour would give people a second referendum, what I don't believe is that there will be a credible deal to be put up as the other choice within a short space of time or that if such a deal was BRINO it just wouldn't be acceptable to people because all you would be asking is to choose between staying in the EU with a say or staying in the EU without a say.
I have no dog in the fight as they say so this exercise for me is just purely trying to think rationally. I find people are putting loyalties to their parties are clouding judgements.
Everyone with an ounce of a brain can see Brexit is a huge mistake so we either have to be very closely aligned or remain. If Labour “stich it up” so we remain or get a BRINO it’s not the end of the world. At most you’ll get some OAPs shaking their fists in disgust.

There are bigger issues that people face everyday in this country.

Boris is a bulldozer that will say and do anything to take and stay in power, this has been pretty much proved in the last few months. He’s a buffoon who can be led easily to any decision as long as he can see the benefit in it for him. A plain dangerous man.

For his many flaws Corbyn is at least principled and good natured, something that often gets him into trouble but he’s not dangerous.

These are the choices to lead this country, and even if you cannot stomach either it’s what it is and you have to make the best of it. Apathy is what caused Brexit. We cannot let apathy again give the reins of this country to Boris Johnson to set it on a harmful course that will affect generations to come.

I’ve never donated to a political party in my life but for my children’s sake I realise how hugely important stopping the Tories is so I have done so twice within a week.

yeah thats one (very biased) way of saying what happened

seems pretty logical from JLM - seems ridiculous to say they cant be taken seriously on matters of antisemitism

I mean the labour party is pretty quick to expel people who voted lib dems in the euro elections

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/28/labour-expels-alastair-campbell-from-party

and without warning

The JLM had withdrawn the training years before as they didnt agree with it so it seems pretty logical they would suspend people who continued to offer that training

As always Jess Phillips sums it up well

Campbell was suspended that quickly as it's an auto expulsion black and white offence it doesn't need referring to the panel.

I've not read about anyone suggesting a rule change on auto-explusion which is odd because they could. It's almost like grown adults understand why.

That’s not the conclusion of the article you’ve linked to there.

That is the statement from the Labour party and Corbyn. They said he did lay “a wreath in memory of all those who have died”.

NB. That is those who died in the 1985 illegal bombing. Nearly 50 people died. Some were PLO some were civilians. At the time even the Reagan administration said the attack "cannot be condoned."

That is the statement from the Labour party and Corbyn. They said he did lay “a wreath in memory of all those who have died”.

Yes, that is their explanation. It is contradicted by the evidence presented in the article you posted.

Yes, that is their explanation. It is contradicted by the evidence presented in the article you posted.
The conclusion is not specific and lists all of the information. Because, as I said (but you removed from my quote), nearly 50 people died. Some were PLO some were civilians. At the time even the Reagan administration said the attack "cannot be condoned."

Could Corbyn have not attended to only pay respects to the dead civilians?

The only Welsh allowed will be Steve and quite possibly the wifey who used to be in Torchwood unless you promise not to bother our sheep because nobody likes Johnny Foreigners coming to their country and chatting up their birds.
Cheers, mate.
And thanks for the sheep shortbread.

The conclusion is not specific and lists all of the information. Because, as I said (but you removed from my quote), nearly 50 people died. Some were PLO some were civilians. At the time even the Reagan administration said the attack "cannot be condoned."

Could Corbyn have not attended to only pay respects to the dead civilians?

As the article notes, he is pictured holding a wreath directly in front of the memorial dedicated to Salah Khalaf, Arafat’s number two who was a leading figure in Black September and who was not killed in the 1985 strike you have referred to. Corbyn himself acknowledged that “wreaths were laid” for the Black September operatives (the others were also not killed in 1985), and he acknowledged laying “one wreath” himself. There is no evidence of Corbyn laying a wreath at either of the memorials dedicated to the victims of the 1985 attack which the article mentions, although he is pictured visiting both. This all became clear quite soon after the story broke, which is probably why Labour ultimately dropped the complaint they made to the press regulator regarding coverage of the controversy.

Everyone with an ounce of a brain can see Brexit is a huge mistake so we either have to be very closely aligned or remain. If Labour “stich it up” so we remain or get a BRINO it’s not the end of the world. At most you’ll get some OAPs shaking their fists in disgust.

There are bigger issues that people face everyday in this country.

Boris is a bulldozer that will say and do anything to take and stay in power, this has been pretty much proved in the last few months. He’s a buffoon who can be led easily to any decision as long as he can see the benefit in it for him. A plain dangerous man.

For his many flaws Corbyn is at least principled and good natured, something that often gets him into trouble but he’s not dangerous.

These are the choices to lead this country, and even if you cannot stomach either it’s what it is and you have to make the best of it. Apathy is what caused Brexit. We cannot let apathy again give the reins of this country to Boris Johnson to set it on a harmful course that will affect generations to come.

I’ve never donated to a political party in my life but for my children’s sake I realise how hugely important stopping the Tories is so I have done so twice within a week.

Boris is dangerous and has only one thought and that's his career. The current crop of Tories are truly horrendous.
What is more frustrating is that Labour have got a weak leader, never mind his policies, and is unable to take advantage of how poor the Tories are. And thus I think the Tories will get in again and could even get a majority.
The Uk is in a sad state politically.

What evidence is there of Corbyn's alleged anti semitism? And no, criticism of Israeli foreign policy is not a valid example.

I think a better question is what are British Jews, who overwhelmingly voted Conservative when the leader of the Labour party was a British Jew, afraid of Corbyn for. And I think the answer is more the foreign policy towards Israel and Labour's economic policies.

I think a better question is what are British Jews, who overwhelmingly voted Conservative when the leader of the Labour party was a British Jew, afraid of Corbyn for. And I think the answer is more the foreign policy towards Israel and Labour's economic policies.
nintchdbpict000394440594.jpg

Hummmmm.... I mean that kinda plays right into this particular trope doesn't it.Or are you just making a point about public art
So why are Jews in your opinion particularly impacted by labours economic policy.

This is a bad take, not a good look at all. You should reconsider exactly what you’re implying here.

nintchdbpict000394440594.jpg

Hummmmm.... I mean that kinda plays right into this particular trope doesn't it.Or are you just making a point about public art
So why are Jews in your opinion particularly impacted by labours economic policy.
I’ve seen this before and I genuinely don’t understand what makes the wealthy gentlemen in this picture Jewish?

When I look at it I see just wealthy men becoming more wealthy off of the backs of the working class whist using their power and influence to monopolies the wealth.

Can you explain what I am missing please? This is a genuine question by the way, I prefer to be well informed.

I’ve seen this before and I genuinely don’t understand what makes the wealthy gentlemen in this picture Jewish?

When I look at it I see just wealthy men becoming more wealthy off of the backs of the working class whist using their power and influence to monopolies the wealth.

Can you explain what I am missing please? This is a genuine question by the way, I prefer to be well informed.
You could try this
https://amp.theguardian.com/comment...isemitism-open-your-eyes-jeremy-corbyn-labour

. If you’re left in any doubt, just read the words of Mear One, the street artist who painted the mural: “Some of the older white Jewish folk in the local community had an issue with me portraying their beloved #Rothschild or #Warburg etc as the demons they are,”

Last edited:
Begrudgingly...

Statement from Nick Conrad

Nick Conrad, said: “Five years ago I made ill-judged comments during an on-air radio discussion for which I made a genuine and heartfelt apology.

“Last night I was honoured to be made the Conservative candidate for Broadland and had hoped to become the MP for a constituency which is close to my heart.

“However it has become clear to me that the media attention on my previous comments have become a distraction.

“For me, the most important thing is for the Conservative Party to be successful in the forthcoming election - getting Brexit done and delivering on the people’s priorities.

“This is why I have reluctantly concluded I must stand down to allow one of the other excellent candidates the opportunity to win this fantastic seat.

“I would like to thank Broadland Conservative Association for their support and wish the party every success in the election on December 12.”

ENDS

What do you think he is implying?

That “British Jews” have concocted a fake anti-semitism slur in order to defend both Israel and their own privileged economic status.

Begrudgingly...

Statement from Nick Conrad

Nick Conrad, said: “Five years ago I made ill-judged comments during an on-air radio discussion for which I made a genuine and heartfelt apology.

“Last night I was honoured to be made the Conservative candidate for Broadland and had hoped to become the MP for a constituency which is close to my heart.

“However it has become clear to me that the media attention on my previous comments have become a distraction.

“For me, the most important thing is for the Conservative Party to be successful in the forthcoming election - getting Brexit done and delivering on the people’s priorities.

“This is why I have reluctantly concluded I must stand down to allow one of the other excellent candidates the opportunity to win this fantastic seat.

“I would like to thank Broadland Conservative Association for their support and wish the party every success in the election on December 12.”

ENDS

What did he do that even the tories can't stomach? Paid his cleaner the living wage?

Ok I googled it. That doesn't sound like something BoJo or JRM wouldn't say.

That “British Jews” have concocted a fake anti-semitism slur in order to defend both Israel and their own privileged economic status.

I didn't get the first part from that post at all, though I can see how it's possible.

It is a fact that pre-Hitler Labour didn't get a lot of Jewish votes, and that is very understandable - many British Jews have good reason to vote Tory.

You forget this is the internets, this could go on for...a very long time!
Automatic out of office reply service:

Mr Pigeon is unavailable for comment, as he is on location in Wales filmng Disco on the Planet of the Apes.

Boris has said there will be no second Scottish indyref. That's not what really annoys me. What does though is that the man is incapable of simply making a statement without adding in some pointless witticism, like he's in some below par debate club with all his friends behind him chortling their heads off.

If I recall correctly, the mural was a Facebook post in which he only asked why the mural is being cleared? And later said he regretted not looking more closely at the mural before commenting. A mistake but hardly rampant anti semitism.

The wreath was paying respects to civilians killed in an Isreali air strike.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-jeremy-corbyn-and-the-wreath-row

My problem is when Corbyn gets blamed for the actions of other people. I understand there are some members and/or activists who had been guilty of anti semitism. No more than any proportion of the whole population or any other political party are xenophobic, racist or anti semitic. This has been dealt with more efficiently than by any other party who have equal problems.

The ceremony he was at explicitly involved paying respects to the Munich terrorists though. I'm almost certain we'd not be as willing (rightfully) to absolve Boris if he was in a similar sort of situation.

The mural on its own could've been understandable but the issue is when it feeds into a wider pattern of behaviour.

I don't think Corbyn himself is a rampant anti-Semite who hates Jewish people - nevertheless I can very much understand why members of the Jewish population have concerns both with him and with the Labour party as a whole. Those concerns shouldn't be dismissed when they're so widespread.

Status
Not open for further replies.