UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone listen to Nick Robinson on BBC R4 this morning?

Gave it Farage down the banks (wonder why, being the threat that they are to Cons) and then practically cuddled Ian Austin through an 'interview' where he, as an ex-Labour MP, actively told people to vote Conservative. Disappointed more than anything.

I don’t think it says to vote Conservative? As far as I’m concerned neither Corbyn or Johnson are fit enough to be PM, thoroughly depressing election.
One of them will, so I don't get attacking one but not the other.

EIwmQs6WwAAwv-F

One of them will, so I don't get attacking one but not the other.

Pretty much seems like the Jewish Chronicle are more comfortable with the far right element in the Conservative party than with Corbyn.

Just exactly what is a 'credible deal' that Jeremy keeps referring to when he talks of renegotiating with the EU? Credible with who? Credible in terms of acceptance by Parliament? Credible with the EU?

The big problem is that with every deal negotiated, May's, Boris's and probably Jeremy's, is they seem to lack credibility with all but their own supporters, (and even then not all of them!) and its gets us absolutely nowhere. Then to compound the problem Jeremy is intending to put whatever deal emerges to the people (again) in yet another referendum but then says the Labour party will vote against its own deal and recommend opting for remain.

This is the politics of the madhouse writ large, whatever other policies Labour has to improve the lot of the poorest in society, to improve the Health Service, Education etc.they will get sunk under this lunacy of a Brexit policy. Yes, it is clearer than before, that is that the Labour party, as led by Jeremy doesn't want to be in power, not really. That after a life time of standing on the side lines (even within his own party) sniping away at others who do make decisions, Jeremy is actually very comfortable in that position; of continuous, endless, and futile debate, that making decisions is not his style, just making the bullets, but not firing the gun.

Maybe Tom Watson has at last realised this, and that he needs to leave, not so much a sinking ship, but one that is turning itself into the political equivalent of the Marie-celeste and is destined to sail the political seas and never reach port.

Just exactly what is a 'credible deal' that Jeremy keeps referring to when he talks of renegotiating with the EU? Credible with who? Credible in terms of acceptance by Parliament? Credible with the EU?

The big problem is that with every deal negotiated, May's, Boris's and probably Jeremy's, is they seem to lack credibility with all but their own supporters, (and even then not all of them!) and its gets us absolutely nowhere. Then to compound the problem Jeremy is intending to put whatever deal emerges to the people (again) in yet another referendum but then says the Labour party will vote against its own deal and recommend opting for remain.

This is the politics of the madhouse writ large, whatever other policies Labour has to improve the lot of the poorest in society, to improve the Health Service, Education etc.they will get sunk under this lunacy of a Brexit policy. Yes, it is clearer than before, that is that the Labour party, as led by Jeremy doesn't want to be in power, not really. That after a life time of standing on the side lines (even within his own party) sniping away at others who do make decisions, Jeremy is actually very comfortable in that position; of continuous, endless, and futile debate, that making decisions is not his style, just making the bullets, but not firing the gun.

Maybe Tom Watson has at last realised this, and that he needs to leave, not so much a sinking ship, but one that is turning itself into the political equivalent of the Marie-celeste and is destined to sail the political seas and never reach port.

Maybe it's credible in comparison to the Tory "LAlaland, we say whatever we please no matter reality" deal? Even Donald Trump understands the limitations of this "deal" yet tories be like: "Don't listen to Trump RIGHT NOW".

Anyone listen to Nick Robinson on BBC R4 this morning?

Gave it Farage down the banks (wonder why, being the threat that they are to Cons) and then practically cuddled Ian Austin through an 'interview' where he, as an ex-Labour MP, actively told people to vote Conservative. Disappointed more than anything.

The BBC have been tripping over themselves to amplify Austin's message and stress how loyal he has been to Labour before. Meanwhile, not a peep about both Ken Clarke and Justine Greening admitting that they may not vote Conservative this election, and neglecting to note that Austin tried to oust Miliband as leader because he was deemed not tough enough on immigration; in fact, Austin deemed Cameron as far too soft on immigration. No one who is Labour 'to the core' could ever advocate voting for Johnson.

Edit -

Goodall addresses this rather well. He's definitely one of the best journalists on Twitter for political coverage at present.

Last edited:
It’s not just the 4.5 million using foodbanks. Its the teachers and parents that are asked for donations to fund basic school supplies. It’s the nurses and doctors that are leaving the NHS in droves because they cannot do their job and the patients suffering as a result. It’s the working families struggling to find the time to take care of their elderly or disabled relatives because of decimated social care. It’s the parents losing their children to crime and violence because of the closure of virtually all youth services nationwide. It’s quite literally all of us, but will someone fecking think of the billionaires. Oh and Brexit!

I wish this forum had a like button.

The BBC have been tripping over themselves to amplify Austin's message and stress how loyal he has been to Labour before. Meanwhile, not a peep about both Ken Clarke and Justine Greening admitting that they may not vote Conservative this election, and neglecting to note that Austin tried to oust Miliband as leader because he was deemed not tough enough on immigration; in fact, Austin deemed Cameron as far too soft on immigration. No one who is Labour 'to the core' could ever advocate voting for Johnson.

Agreed. The interview finished when I got out of the car and on the walk in to the office I open Twitter to see them driving home the message there too. I do wonder if it was always scheduled to go ahead this morning or if he'd been wheeled in to mitigate some of the Tory self harm this week and double down on the Watson impact.

Either way, you can tell immigration is still a big factor in all this for him and his views clearly aren't compatible with a modern day Labour party. Not surprising then, that he wasn't tempted to advocate for Lib Dem's who may be slightly more palatable to traditional Labour voters, even though as discussed in this thread, those feelings are probably misplaced.

Agreed. The interview finished when I got out of the car and on the walk in to the office I open Twitter to see them driving home the message there too. I do wonder if it was always scheduled to go ahead this morning or if he'd been wheeled in to mitigate some of the Tory self harm this week and double down on the Watson impact.

Either way, you can tell immigration is still a big factor in all this for him and his views clearly aren't compatible with a modern day Labour party. Not surprising then, that he wasn't tempted to advocate for Lib Dem's who may be slightly more palatable to traditional Labour voters, even though as discussed in this thread, those feelings are probably misplaced.

Exactly, no one who can claim to be loyal to Labour's values can justify endorsing Johnson. You can condemn Corbyn and refuse to support him, but to actively endorse Johnson is an untenable position for an allegedly die-hard Labour MP.

In other news, the Remain Alliance is continuing to conspire to deliver Brexit:

The more I look at this, the more it concerns me. There is literally no chance that the Lib Dems can win this seat. It is between Labour and the Tories. Why would you go to the effort of establishing a Remain Alliance in this seat when it is clear that the only party it benefits is the Conservatives?

Exactly, no one who can claim to be loyal to Labour's values can justify endorsing Johnson. You can condemn Corbyn and refuse to support him, but to actively endorse Johnson is an untenable position for an allegedly die-hard Labour MP.

The more I look at this, the more it concerns me. There is literally no chance that the Lib Dems can win this seat. It is between Labour and the Tories. Why would you go to the effort of establishing a Remain Alliance in this seat when it is clear that the only party it benefits is the Conservatives?

I guess this is how Conservatives feel knowing Farage plans to stand 600 candidates in seats of all types. No idea what the net outcome of all that is going to be. Hoping it's that messy that Labour scramble out of it in a better than predicted position.

Maybe it's credible in comparison to the Tory "LAlaland, we say whatever we please no matter reality" deal? Even Donald Trump understands the limitations of this "deal" yet tories be like: "Don't listen to Trump RIGHT NOW".

What are you saying, that the deal negotiated & agreed with the EU is not credible, whereas a deal that no one knows about is, somehow, more credible? :wenger:

What evidence is there of Corbyn's alleged anti semitism? And no, criticism of Israeli foreign policy is not a valid example.

He's previously defended an anti-Semitic mural and I believe laid a wreath for the 1972 Olympics Munich terrorists, or at the very least was at a ceremony which paid tribute to them. There's been a fair few activists and party members and the like who've come out with anti-Semitic stuff as well. I think there's an argument Labour's anti-Semitism has been overplayed, and there's probably an argument they're not much worse in that regard than the Tories, but I don't think it's something that can just be swept aside altogether. Especially when a considerable number of the British Jewish community have huge concerns.

He's previously defended an anti-Semitic mural and I believe laid a wreath for the 1972 Olympics Munich terrorists, or at the very least was at a ceremony which paid tribute to them. There's been a fair few activists and party members and the like who've come out with anti-Semitic stuff as well. I think there's an argument Labour's anti-Semitism has been overplayed, and there's probably an argument they're not much worse in that regard than the Tories, but I don't think it's something that can just be swept aside altogether. Especially when a considerable number of the British Jewish community have huge concerns.

well the EHRC has only ever launched 2 formal investigations into political parties - the BNP and Labour
For a formal investigation to be triggered means that from the evidence they have seen they believe that there is a probability that criminal action has taken place, that a jury is in the balance of probability likley to convict and that prosecution is in the public interest and that action has not been taken to sufficiently address the problems in the organisation
If that pretty high evidence level is met they then start a formal investigation - in which they can demand additional evidence to see how much deeper the problem goes
You might think its been overplayed but the only political party who has had a formal investigation before is the BNP - not great company to be keeping and given the high bar for a formal investigation its hard to believe the report is going to be a nice read for Labour and of course a very realistic possibility that legal action ensues.
I dont know if they are worse than the conservatives but i do know that the institution i would trust more than any other to make that legal judgement is the EHRC and evidence so far is that they must be worse

well the EHRC has only ever launched 2 formal investigations into political parties - the BNP and Labour
For a formal investigation to be triggered means that from the evidence they have seen they believe that there is a probability that criminal action has taken place, that a jury is in the balance of probability likley to convict and that prosecution is in the public interest and that action has not been taken to sufficiently address the problems in the organisation
If that pretty high evidence level is met they then start a formal investigation - in which they can demand additional evidence to see how much deeper the problem goes
You might think its been overplayed but the only political party who has had a formal investigation before is the BNP - not great company to be keeping and given the high bar for a formal investigation its hard to believe the report is going to be a nice read for Labour and of course a very realistic possibility that legal action ensues.
I dont know if they are worse than the conservatives but i do know that the institution i would trust more than any other to make that legal judgement is the EHRC and evidence so far is that they must be worse

That's fair enough - I'm aware I'm largely speaking about it from the perspective of an outsider, so it's obviously going to be a lot more concerning for those incredibly closely connected to it all.

It is a tory policy success in their eyes.

They want to force people away from government support into work or shift social responsibility into the charity sector.

(Just look away from the homelessness, deaths etc.)
Completely agree. Which is why voting Labour should be a pretty easy choice.

I can't really take the JLM very seriously after the suspended one of their own members for providing anti-semitism training.

yeah thats one (very biased) way of saying what happened

Following its 2016 restructuring, JLM offered training on antisemitism awareness to Constituency Labour Parties.

In 2018, the JLM refused to provide antisemitism awareness training to those subject to disciplinary proceedings as they did not believe training was an appropriate sanction.[80]

In August 2018, the JLM refused to offer training at the Party's annual conference, after disagreeing with the Party leadership over its content.[81]

In March 2019, the JLM suspended their training programme. JLM said that their role had been undermined after the Labour Party announced it planned to enrol staff and members of the National Executive Committee and National Constitutional Committee on a short course on antisemitism being developed by the Pears Institute for the Study of Antisemitism, despite Labour's stated intention of consulting Jewish communal organisations prior to its implementation.[82]

In July 2019, JLM suspended a member who had continued to provide training on antisemitism
.[83]

seems pretty logical from JLM - seems ridiculous to say they cant be taken seriously on matters of antisemitism

I mean the labour party is pretty quick to expel people who voted lib dems in the euro elections

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/28/labour-expels-alastair-campbell-from-party

and without warning

The JLM had withdrawn the training years before as they didnt agree with it so it seems pretty logical they would suspend people who continued to offer that training

As always Jess Phillips sums it up well

Jess Phillips, the MP for Birmingham Yardley, tweeted that Campbell was “expelled quicker than a man who threatened to kill me [and] quicker than a man in my [local party] who denied the Holocaust”, adding that the two had only been suspended.

Last edited:
Interesting that both the Tories and Labour are proposing to borrow to invest this time round, which is a very different conversation from way back in 2015 where Ed Balls had to sneak it in the manifesto. Im wondering which way it will go, whether the Tories borrowing will be perceived as the more sensible approach and they pull the rug out from under Labour? Or whether the Tories will be seen as validating borrowing, in which case Labour plans might be preferred as being the more full fat option?

Maybe if Labour weren't absolutely refusing to do any deals then the others might consider standing aside. Labour are the only ones on the Remain side insisting that they won't do any tactical deals, so its a bit rich of them to act like they're being hard done by when others don't drop out on their behalf.

What are you saying, that the deal negotiated & agreed with the EU is not credible, whereas a deal that no one knows about is, somehow, more credible? :wenger:
Yes because the deal that might be negotiated may actually be a deal that solves the problems it says it solves.

If EU membership was a rental agreement Boris' deal would be the agreement on how to get the furniture out. Nothing more. It solves nothing for the future, so yeah, it's even worse than a non existent deal.

Someone you know nothing about is more credible than someone you know as compulsive liar...

Maybe if Labour weren't absolutely refusing to do any deals then the others might consider standing aside. Labour are the only ones on the Remain side insisting that they won't do any tactical deals, so its a bit rich of them to act like they're being hard done by when others don't drop out on their behalf.
Are they on the remain side? - kin ell somebody better tell corbyn

If the Remain Alliances were only occurring in seats where they could win, you'd have a point. But they aren't, so you don't. Moreover, nobody is saying the Lib Dems/Greens should step aside in these seats to benefit Labour. Honestly, you cannot justify the Remain Alliance in a seat like Stroud. It can only have two plausible consequences. 1 - Labour retain the seat in spite of it. 2 - The Conservatives regain the seat possibly as a direct consequence of the Remain Alliance taking votes from Labour. Please explain to me how that is furthering the cause of Remain?

If the Remain Alliances were only occurring in seats where they could win, you'd have a point. But they aren't, so you don't. Moreover, nobody is saying the Lib Dems/Greens should step aside in these seats to benefit Labour. Honestly, you cannot justify the Remain Alliance in a seat like Stroud. It can only have two plausible consequences. 1 - Labour retain the seat in spite of it. 2 - The Conservatives regain the seat possibly as a direct consequence of the Remain Alliance taking votes from Labour. Please explain to me how that is furthering the cause of Remain?

How is Labour running in seats where the Remain alliance parties could win furthering the cause of Remain? By standing in Stroud they're sending a message to Labour that if Labour cooperate then everyone can benefit. Why should they sacrifice their own party chances just to help Jeremy?

Are they on the remain side? - kin ell somebody better tell corbyn
How many voters would Labour lose if he outright said we are pro remain? Saying there would be a second referendum on deal vs remain is ‘more democratic’.

How many voters would Labour lose if he outright said we are pro remain? Saying there would be a second referendum on deal vs remain is ‘more democratic’.

The problem with this is - how will Labour campaign? Are they going to try and advocate their own exit deal, thereby taking the side of Leave again, and alienating the vast majority of their Remain voters?

How is Labour running in seats where the Remain alliance parties could win furthering the cause of Remain? By standing in Stroud they're sending a message to Labour that if Labour cooperate then everyone can benefit. Why should they sacrifice their own party chances just to help Jeremy?

Yeah, let's help a Conservative MP get in, that's a great message to be sending. Do you seriously expect cooperation between the Lib Dems and Labour in seats? That's never going to happen, no one on either side will contemplate that so there is no "message" to be sent. You are saying that it makes sense that rather than sacrifice their party chances to help Corbyn, as you frame it, they'll instead sacrifice them to help Johnson. That is a bizarre position to adopt.

The problem with this is - how will Labour campaign? Are they going to try and advocate their own exit deal, thereby taking the side of Leave again, and alienating the vast majority of their Remain voters?

Can we just get there first and then we can decide how to stich up the leave vote when we come to it?

They'll campaign on many issues, because for the majority of people in the country - Brexit isn't the only, nor is it the priority issue for them as @Ultimate Grib explained.
There are cross-sections of voters who are Remain, Leave & Unsure who will align with Labour's policies on other issues. In order for Labour to get in power they need as many voters as they can get.

Can we just get there first and then we can decide how to stich up the leave vote when we come to it?

It's surely worth a discussion, though? I'm not sure Labour should be given a blind free pass on their Brexit tactic throughout the election if it's a hypothetically crap tactic.

Why does it matter? Why would they need to campaign if they were putting it back to a public vote? Here's our deal to leave the EU - vote for it or vote to remain.

They'll campaign on many issues, because for the majority of people in the country - Brexit isn't the only, nor is it the priority issue for them as @Ultimate Grib explained.
There are cross-sections of voters who are Remain, Leave & Unsure who will align with Labour's policies on other issues. In order for Labour to get in power they need as many voters as they can get.

I was discussing specifically on how they'd campaign in any given Brexit referendum here. Arguing on the side of their own Leave deal strikes me as a move that could potentially end up backfiring on them massively, and leave the issue festering for even longer if all other sides go against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.