UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
£100,000 actually and I doubt their wealth is in money but in stocks and shares and property etc - but I'm not getting in the argument.:wenger:

He probably meant 1% which is the standard across many banks on current accounts but even at BoE rate of 0.5% that would be £5m.

You are right it’s mostly invested so they’re making far more than that every year.

Has Jeff Bezos ruined America? In the grand scheme of things it isn't an awful lot when it comes to redistributing it. Going after the billionaires is not the answer.

This is a real galaxy brain take:

THe anSwER To rEDiStRibuTION is NOt gOIng AfTEr ThE PEOplE whO haVe THE moSt weALtH

Obviously this is Warrens plan not Labour but it's relevant to the direction against billionaires discussed recently.

Just look at that decimated wealth i mean people wouldn't even bother getting out of bed for that. Disaster #VoteTorySaveTheBillionaire

Not arguing against more taxes but doesn't this "calculation" assume that they would have had just as much to invest despite paying 6% wealth tax? Feels disingenuous even if I agree with their goals.

Being able to afford to uproot your entire life & family's life on a whim because of the result of a political election is peak privilege, quite frankly. My heart weeps.

While others are worried about choosing between heat & food, going to food banks, disability & welfare cuts, the NHS etc.

Well it isn’t the fault of the Billionaires that’s for sure.

Well it isn’t the fault of the Billionaires that’s for sure.

But you certainly feel more sympathetic that they *might* (they wont) leave the country.
And quite frankly, i'm shocked that nobody is thinking of the Billionaires in all this chaos.

Do you have any comprehension of how much a billion dollars is? We aren’t talking about living comfortably, we are talking about hoarding an amount of money that ruins societyz
Owning 10% million of Amazon, say, isn’t hoarding anything though. The issue is people need to be paid more and if that makes the assets billionaires own worth a bit less, then fine.

Not arguing against more taxes but doesn't this "calculation" assume that they would have had just as much to invest despite paying 6% wealth tax? Feels disingenuous even if I agree with their goals.
Yeah I'm not sure how you could stop them just moving all their assets to the Cayman islands either. The issue is wage stagnation IMO.

eh? Sympathetic? I was just pointing out that some nice big tax receipts may be driven abroad.

May be, but unlikely to be - I haven’t found any conclusive evidence that taxing the rich leads to them emigrating - have you?

Isn't a whole lot of wealth in the UK associated with estates inherited from pre-industrial times?

This idea that Corbyn can single-handedly impose taxes needs to die. We run a parliamentary system for good reason.

tenor.gif

May be, but unlikely to be - I haven’t found any conclusive evidence that taxing the rich leads to them emigrating - have you?

Then how do you explain why the rich all congregate in low tax countries like Monaco, Channel Islands, Switzerland, etc.

Presumably they weren't all born there and emigrated / relocated to there from some other higher tax countries.

The super-rich will always avoid the measures, then they will hit the level below. It’s frustratingly obvious that this ideological stuff just won’t work in practice.

So there should be no attempts to reduce income inequality, or address the fact that the ultra-rich hoarding their wealth and creating monopolies at the expense of the general population just isn't sustainable in the long-term? We shouldn't try to fix something that so patently obviously needs fixing?

Imagine, United are taken over by the Saudis.

We're just about to buy Mbappe and bam! Jezza has just passed legislation making being rich illegal.

Now we're stuck with Phil Jones at CB and we're 3-0 down to Stoke in The Championship.

Wooooah Jeremy Corbyn, Woe indeed.

Then how do you explain why the rich all congregate in low tax countries like Monaco, Channel Islands, Switzerland, etc.

Presumably they weren't all born there and emigrated / relocated to there from some other higher tax countries.

Yes some. Not all, and certainly not enough to command propaganda that suggests they’ll all uproot their lives because Corbyn will tax 83% of their wealth every year.

Again - can you provide evidence of this supposed mass emigration by the rich?

We're just about to buy Mbappe and bam! Jezza has just passed legislation making being rich illegal.

Now we're stuck with Phil Jones at CB and we're 3-0 down to Stoke in The Championship.

:lol::lol:

Yes some. Not all, and certainly not enough to command propaganda that suggests they’ll all uproot their lives because Corbyn will tax 83% of their wealth every year.

Again - can you provide evidence of this supposed mass emigration by the rich?

Phil Collins said that he’d leave the UK if Blair got elected and did, moved to Switzerland on a tidy tax dodge. Not that this proves anything, just offering some Phil Collins general knowledge.

Phil Collins said that he’d leave the UK if Blair got elected and did, moved to Switzerland on a tidy tax dodge. Not that this proves anything, just offering some Phil Collins general knowledge.
If increased taxation on high earners keeps Phil at bay, it's absolutely worth it on that count alone.

I think he went abroad to avoid Gerrard.

Jeremy will steal 10% of it and give it to the workers, Phil Jones will be one of the owners.

Swinson's already tweeted about it.

Phil Collins has some bangers, can’t even hate on him

Take no notice, mate - I'm a well-known idiot.

So there should be no attempts to reduce income inequality, or address the fact that the ultra-rich hoarding their wealth and creating monopolies at the expense of the general population just isn't sustainable in the long-term? We shouldn't try to fix something that so patently obviously needs fixing?
There's lots you can do. Break monopolies. Go after rentiers. Pay workers more. Increase taxes too. But not sure a wealth tax as such would do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.