U.S. Presidential Race: Official Thread

Obama or McCain/Democrat or Republican..you decide

• McCain

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Obama

Votes: 173 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bloody love elections. I'd sit and watch the Zambian local elections if I knew anything about the parties involved.

Reagan trailed Carter by 10 points on the morning of the election and ended up winning a landslide victory.

Who whoever did a poll that had Carter up ten points is a fecking moron, who did he sample registered Democrats.

"Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" it was over after Reagan said that in a debate

Obama's taken 67% of the vote so far according to the beeb. Although that is just 32-16. Probably a few more votes to come.

Im hooked on Sky News right now just waiting for results to come in.

Still 39 minutes my friend, 7 eastern is the earliest releases. They arent the results either that just when the polls close

Watching a documentary on Norwegian television now.

McCain looked OLD in the 80s.

Watching a documentary on Norwegian television now.

McCain looked OLD in the 80s.

Is it the one where several of his followers when asked why they didn`t vote for Obama answered with stuff like:

"I think he is a terrorist"

"His middle name is Hussein, I have a problem with that"

"I`m not saying he is a terrorist, but there is a good chance". ?

That stuff scared me a bit.

Is it the one where several of his followers when asked why they didn`t vote for Obama answered with stuff like:

"I think he is a terrorist"

"His middle name is Hussein, I have a problem with that"

"I`m not saying he is a terrorist, but there is a good chance". ?

That stuff scared me a bit.

They aired it on sunday I think, haven't seen all of it.

I just want to say one thing.

I am scared.

I am scared of going to sleep.

Going to sleep means I may have to wake up to a world where Sarah Palin is just a heartbeat away from being the most powerful person on Earth.

Yes I may be being a tad overdramatic

10 minutes until the first 6 states close their polls.

I find it amazing that a Black man in the US even has a chance of being President, particularly when you consider the treatment of blacks barely 50 years ago.

I think a black man being elected President 40 years after the assassination of Martin Luther King would be a fitting tribute to the work he did, and the changes he made.

10 minutes until the first 6 states close their polls.

I find it amazing that a Black man in the US even has a chance of being President, particularly when you consider the treatment of blacks barely 50 years ago.

I think a black man being elected President 40 years after the assassination of Martin Luther King would be a fitting tribute to the work he did, and the changes he made.

Yes it would

And hopefully it will herald a time where we don't bother to even consider the colour of skin in our analysis. One of the refreshing things about Hamiltons triumph in F1 is how few people have even mentioned he's the first black World Champion. A real sign of progress, it's just not a talking point

Yes it would

And hopefully it will herald a time where we don't bother to even consider the colour of skin in our analysis. One of the refreshing things about Hamiltons triumph in F1 is how few people have even mentioned he's the first black World Champion. A real sign of progress, it's just not a talking point

Amen to that Bradley.

2,000 people schmoozing it up down aqt the US Embassy in London tonight, Hazel Blears sounds like she may have had a few [and came across better for it actually lol]. All those British MPs shamelessly flocking to the head of Democrats Abroad in a few hours time eh.

Several schools in the Santa Barbara Elementary School District conducted mock presidential elections today. Most schools included students in grades 3-6.

Prior to the election, students became familiar with biographies of the presidential candidates and read books about voting and the voting process. Roosevelt students had a visit from Santa Barbara County Clerk, Recorder and Assessor Joe Holland. Schools reporting in to librarian Nancy Tobin’s “Election Central” were Franklin, Harding, McKinley, Monroe, Roosevelt, Washington, and the Santa Barbara Community Academy.

The vote was Barack Obama 1,041 and John McCain 81.

Ms. Tobin noted “Scholastic hosts a mock presidential election each year and have only misjudged the winner twice since 1940.”

[Elections took place at some schools in the Santa Barbara High School District but results were not available at the time this news item was posted.]
:eek:

These percentages are quite similar to our caf poll, and there are very few black students in Santa Barbara.

I guessed so, but wanted to be sure.

I have read somewhere that exit polls systematically favored Democrats in the past four elections. So take them with a pinch of salt if they are fairly close.
(In any case, I am still confident that Obama will win.)

That's what the BBC are saying. Apparently Republicans are more secretive about their voting.

Bloody hell, looks like McCain might take Virginia AND Florida.

Bloody hell, looks like McCain might take Virginia AND Florida.

I assume you're basing that Florida result on the numbers the BBC are showing, which are based on less than 100k votes. Give it time.

One of the networks has called the senate race in Virginia in favour of the Democrats. No idea if this implies any direct correlation to the presidential race mind.

I assume you're basing that Florida result on the numbers the BBC are showing, which are based on less than 100k votes. Give it time.

CNN. Yes, it's only a small percentage of the votes, but it's a pretty big margin so far regardless, especially when you consider the fact Obama had been tipped to win Virginia.

CNN. Yes, it's only a small percentage of the votes, but it's a pretty big margin so far regardless, especially when you consider the fact Obama had been tipped to win Virginia.

Scrap that. Going by the way the percentage are changing every few seconds, it IS too early to tell.

Itd be nice if a couple of Republican strongholds went blue in the next hour so I could go to bed confident things are going according to plan. Until I get some assurance I am going to find it difficult to turn this off.