Tweets Only 2010/14 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's always played better in games where he's afforded time and space. He'll look good in Serie A and then people will say it was a mistake to have sold him. But it won't be.

This is the best possible move for all parties involved, I reckon.

He's always played better in games where he's afforded time and space. He'll look good in Serie A and then people will say it was a mistake to have sold him. But it won't be.

This is the best possible move for all parties involved, I reckon.

No way did you just bump this thread 4 hours since the last post, about a player who most definitely has his own thread.
I'm done.

According to transfer markt, we made a €33 million loss on Berbatov, €25 million on Hargreaves and look to be making another €25 million loss on Anderson. There's our three worst signings, folks.

According to transfer markt, we made a €33 million loss on Berbatov, €25 million on Hargreaves and look to be making another €25 million loss on Anderson. There's our three worst signings, folks.

We've wasted a hell of a lot of money over the past few years on players. Add in Young and Nani to those three, then add up the money spent on the likes of Bebe, Tosic and Obertan etc. We seem afraid to pay top dollar for players that are proven at the top level, but quite happy to overpay on players that we think might become top quality. Strange transfer strategy.

We've wasted a hell of a lot of money over the past few years on players. Add in Young and Nani to those three, then add up the money spent on the likes of Bebe, Tosic and Obertan etc. We seem afraid to pay top dollar for players that are proven at the top level, but quite happy to overpay on players that we think might become top quality. Strange transfer strategy.

I don't understand our transfer strategy too much to be honest. However, it's worked thus far because we seem to pull out a star for every twenty or so shite players we sign.

Transfer fee wise, we made a profit on Tosic and lost very little on Obertan. Nani has been worth it IMO. It's as much about wages anyway these days - probably why we've been prepared to spend top fees on the likes of Fellaini and Berbatov.

In all fairness, Berbatov actually contributed. Not as much as we'd like but still he was the top goal scorer one season was he not? Anderson was a full blown waste and unfortunately Hargreaves had glass knee's.

not to be pedantic but didn't we make money on Tosic?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/zoran-tosic/transfers/spieler_46180.html

In all fairness, Berbatov actually contributed. Not as much as we'd like but still he was the top goal scorer one season was he not? Anderson was a full blown waste and unfortunately Hargreaves had glass knee's.

In fairness, a €33 million loss is massive considering he was only good for a season. Even in that season he did little to win over his doubters.

Fellaini will prove to be our worst ever signing. Those other 3 showed at times that they belonged here, Fellaini never will.

It's not that hard to understand. Top players cost you £40m upwards. If you're luck they get five year deals on £150k p/w upwards, plus various bonuses and signing on fees, so you probably pay the guts of around £175k p/w over the lifetime of the contract. And top players aren't often in their teens or early twenties so your sell on value may end up being less than you paid. So in theory it costs you around £85m over the life of the contract.

Contrast that with your £25m, younger player, who probably gets around £80k per week over the same period, which means it costs you around £45m odd over the life of a deal. If they do well their sell on value will cover the entirety of that outlay.

I think you need a mix of both, tbh. You can't just buy top players if you want to be run as a profitable, sensible business, but if you keep skimping on the squad then eventually you end up where we are.

Didn't even think we'd get £6.5M for him in all honesty so it's a pleasant surprise.

Euros - not pounds.

Also worth remembering the currencies have altered in value significantly since 2007 - €30m was like £17m back then.

Look at the thread title.

Why is this being discussed here? I'm sorry for being anal about it, but everytime I see this thread bumped, I actually think we've signed someone.

Look at the thread title.

Why is this being discussed here? I'm sorry for being anal about it, but everytime I see this thread bumped, I actually think we've signed someone.

You probably shouldn't refer to the Twitter thread if it's cement transfer news you're after.

It's actually roughly £5,42 million we're getting. I was hoping we could get close to £8 million but ah well...

Not once in a million years did I expect that. Roughly around £5M sounds about right in my opinion. Not saying he was a good signing, was atrocious. But his current value is around what Fiorentina are paying us.

Let's not forget the important penalty he scored against Chelsea in the European cup final. Even though he didn't live up to his billing, there were good moments and so we can move on :)

Nani cost 14 million. Say what you want about his form right now or how good he should have and could have been. He's actually been a bargain given his return. Player of the season, a consistent flow of goals and assists for the most part, many great games, big input in winning titles and a penalty to keep us in the Champions League. He should be nowhere near the discussion. Well worth the fee paid. Anderson, not so much.

We wouldn't have won the league without Berba. Easily worth most (if not more) than the 33 million

He was a flop and wasn't worth anywhere near that much

He made a massive contribution in a title win, so in terms of team influence you could say he was worth around that money.

If van Persie has is out for the rest of the season and poor next season or leaves are we going to say we overpaid for him? also taking into account his contract situation at Arsenal. No, because he was extremely influential is us winning the title last season.

In that respect, the money we paid for Berba was arguably not too excessive or fair.

I was under the impression that Holtby started the season as one of Tottenham's best performers (haven't seen him/them much in the last few weeks admittedly).

He was a flop and wasn't worth anywhere near that much

He probably wasn't worth the fee - then again, quantify that - but he was in no way at all a flop. Good record, many good games, some superb all round play and a heavy contribution in our title success.

We wouldn't have won the league without Berba. Easily worth most (if not more) than the 33 million

Dunno. Likely not but Chicha had a better season than him that year and he started playing regularly only on the second half of the season. If we wouldn't have Berba he would have started playing from the beginning, and to be fair it wasn't that he didn't play good on those few games he played on the first hal of the season.

Wouldn't call Berba flop and in the category of Ando or Young but he was way overpriced for what he contributed. Somewhere between Nani and Ando, while costed as much as both of them combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.