Trevoh Chalobah | to Palace on loan with no option or obligation to buy

He would be coming in to cover quite a few positions I think, which would make him an extremely good squad player. I actually do think a pairing of him and Martinez could work very well and he could play RB if your tactics let your FB push up into midfield and your defensive shape forms a back 3.

If he's coming in as a squad player then I understand. He'd essentially be killing two birds with one stone and would probably allow us to offload AWB (which I personally wouldn't do). However, as I mentioned before, I just don't think he's the top class replacement for Varane we need.

To those who don't want him, can you explain why? Is it because he had an injury that kept him out for some time, and that apparently makes him injury prone, or is it because Chelsea are open to selling him? He is currently Chelsea's best centre back, and most Chelsea fans I know rate him the highest of them. I know he is a decent defender, but what is he like on the ball?

@WeePat @TheMagicFoolBus Any insight you lads might have on him and if he would be a good fit for United would be appreciated!

He'd improve our squad in two positions. A third if you consider he is decent as a DM.
I think that's his main value. Rather than having to sit on a Lindelof at CB cover and an Amrabat at DM we can start to cover more positions with versatile players, O'Shea style.

I think he looks a good player and as another poster mentioned, a potentially very sensible signing. The big injury is the only worry given our stadium was clearly built atop an ancient Indian burial ground who's curse was held back only by SAF's sheer Scottishness all those years.

I'm leaning on the pro side for this one, though I'm not sure Martinez / Chalobah is the level of starting CB pairings we could build a top, top team on.

I think that's his main value. Rather than having to sit on a Lindelof at CB cover and an Amrabat at DM we can start to cover more positions with versatile players, O'Shea style.

I think he looks a good player and as another poster mentioned, a potentially very sensible signing. The big injury is the only worry given our stadium was clearly built atop an ancient Indian burial ground who's curse was held back only by SAF's sheer Scottishness all those years.

I'm leaning on the pro side for this one, though I'm not sure Martinez / Chalobah is the level of starting CB pairings we could build a top, top team on.
For me he like Tosin, is not quite starting material for a top side. But the kind who can give you real squad value like an Akanji at City. Nacho at Real Madrid. Even what O'shea in his prime gave us.

Seems Chelsea fans opinion of him has changed in the last few months. I remember when he was playing regularly under Tuchel, and he had a few critics saying he'd never been a top CB but could do a job for someone like a Palace/Everton.

Having said that, he would have been 22 (?) under Tuchel and adapting to regular first team football so you can expect the mistakes. From what I've seen of him, he's strong, fast, decent defensively but prone to a mistake.

I’d definitely take him if he was available for £25m. Wouldn’t go too much higher than that though.

If he's coming in as a squad player then I understand. He'd essentially be killing two birds with one stone and would probably allow us to offload AWB (which I personally wouldn't do). However, as I mentioned before, I just don't think he's the top class replacement for Varane we need.
I think he improves the overall quality in the squad and I think he has a similarish profile to Varane. Sure he's not going to be as good Varane at his best, but I think he's got a lot of scope for development.

Chelsea should be crashing and burning because of their transfer business but we seem hell bent on helping them out, no doubt they will take us to the cleaners on this one too.

People have to stop conflating this potential transfer with the Mount one. Two different people, in case anyone is wondering.

At 25m could be a very sensible signing. I rate him highly, and I’m not reading too much into his one big injury.

He's a solid passer without being hugely creative. Generally reliable and not too mistake-prone. If he has one weakness I think it's that he isn't particularly good at making blocks - but his 1v1 defending in wide areas is good/excellent and he's smart about when and how he challenges opponents.

He'd be best used as a CB who doesn't have to stay central and moves out to the flanks to cover for either an aggressive fullback or a winger who stays high as an outlet. Also he's got a knack for scoring on set plays; tends to find himself in good positions.

Cheers.

I like the sound of him being good in the channels but the bolded seems a bit odd to me. What do you mean by that? He isn't a good box defender? He's not going to block/defend the penalty box with some dominance and ferocity an aggressive central defender would?

Several England youth games I watched years back, he stood out amongst taleted players. I really thought he was a nailed on England CB within a coupleof years.

But not really happened had limited opportunities at Chelsea and lots at rb.. For me at this level he looks an athlete, bit kanguid, concentration issues and missing abit of intelligence and nouse....maybe harsh, he is a good defender, but judging on someone I thought may be a great one.

As for "Chelseas best defender" comments....what? Silva at 82years old still was last season.....and cb's theyve signed who we were linked with.....were never very goodbefore they went there....Disasi...crap, Badiashile...crao,Lewis Colwill looks promisingbutisroughround edges andlots of development awayfrom the hype....reminds me of Ben Godfrey, who was better younger too. They only have one quality cb now in Fofana who has been injured forever.

I know we need to look at the odd cheaper deal this summer but Chalobah and the Fulham cb are both a no from me.

Good player, can play a couple of roles and at a good price. Would like to see th elikes of lindelof move on, Johnny Evans is retiring and Varane has left. Will have him and Martinez as our starting CB.s but would like to get one more in (Branthwaite) and i'm happy with those 3 as the starters and Kambwala as 4th choice.

He's injured too much. Good picture but feels like we'd never actually see him play, bit like Mount

Good player, can play a couple of roles and at a good price. Would like to see th elikes of lindelof move on, Johnny Evans is retiring and Varane has left. Will have him and Martinez as our starting CB.s but would like to get one more in (Branthwaite) and i'm happy with those 3 as the starters and Kambwala as 4th choice.
Absolute zero talks of this , he’s already come out and said he’ll stay another year if there’s an offer there

Cheers.

I like the sound of him being good in the channels but the bolded seems a bit odd to me. What do you mean by that? He isn't a good box defender? He's not going to block/defend the penalty box with some dominance and ferocity an aggressive central defender would?

He's a very good box defender - just think that he really shines when in the wider areas / channels since that's a rarer skillset for a CB in my opinion.

Absolute zero talks of this , he’s already come out and said he’ll stay another year if there’s an offer there

Good to hear, good pro and happy to have him around, wouldn't want him having to play as much as he did this season.

To those who don't want him, can you explain why? Is it because he had an injury that kept him out for some time, and that apparently makes him injury prone, or is it because Chelsea are open to selling him? He is currently Chelsea's best centre back, and most Chelsea fans I know rate him the highest of them. I know he is a decent defender, but what is he like on the ball?

@WeePat @TheMagicFoolBus Any insight you lads might have on him and if he would be a good fit for United would be appreciated!

He's not our best CB, but he's our CB with the fewest weaknesses if that makes sense - which makes him the most versatile.

On the ball he's solid but not spectacular. He has the odd moment of brilliance:

...but that's not really something to count on as a regular thing. He rarely makes mistakes though and his decision-making tends to be quite good.

He's really not.

I checked his injury history and cba to respond :lol:

This is a good squaddie at a good price, homegrown, can play in a couple of systems and positions. Think its the type of signing we haven't made enough.

Was he just not fancied by Poch last season then? Admittedly I don't watch Chelsea very much, but whenever I did he wasn't playing

He has had one significant injury in his career basically which kept him out for the first ~2/3 of last season. Once he was fit he was picked almost every time.

He's a good player. 7/10 in multiple roles. No brainer for £25mil at 24 years of age. He would actually make a perfect RB in a McKenna type system as well, similar to how he has used Tuanzebe this year. If United really were looking at him long term it's a nice investment piece.

Sign him please. Just so that at some point I get to hear the commentator say “Chalobah to Kambwala, back to Chalobah”

How is he at right-back?

Decent. Unspectacular but solid. Should never be the primary first choice RB but can do a solid job there for a stretch in the season if there’s an injury crisis.

Please no.
Why not just get Tosin instead on a "free"? (Gazump signing on fee)

Could just be Chelsea fishing for buyers. On the other hand, maybe we need a cheaper option to fill the defense. Hopefully not as we have Kambwala as backup, so we need starters.

Watched him alot for unders for England, I remember him being a DM though for England.

Even transfer market has him at 12 million? 25 million is too much, again getting ripped off.

Trev is a very solid defender who has limitations in just the wrong areas that prevent him from becoming a truly top CB in the modern era. The great things about him are that he’s quick, he’s very versatile (can and has filled in at RB and even emergency DM) and he’s a threat at set pieces.

But what’s not so good is that if really tricky and fast players isolate him 1v1 he can struggle and look clumsy. He is also a liability when being pressed. He is comfortable on the ball generally but when pressed and forced to make quick decisions he sometimes fecks up.

And probably the key reason why we are probably okay seeing him sold (in addition to being “pure profit”) is that he doesn’t really offer much at all in terms of forward passing and initiating attacks from deep. He’s almost exclusively a sideways ”pass it to his CB partner/pass it a few meters to the DM” sort of CB. Whereas the profile of CB many want these days is someone who can ping the ball around comfortably.

I’d be sad to see him go as an academy product and think he’d be a solid buy for United but I didn‘t see any way he’d be a starter for us next season.

When Chelsea is upgrading, we are taking scraps. This should not be happening but has happened a fair bit post Fergie.
Mata, Matic, Mount, Falcao, Lukaku (indirect).. This is not the mentality we should be having.

A shit Chelsea player being linked to United by Chelsea journalists… if only we had Sherlock Holmes to solve this mystery…

Watched him alot for unders for England, I remember him being a DM though for England.

Even transfer market has him at 12 million? 25 million is too much, again getting ripped off.
I said the same in this thread earlier that even 25m seems a lot for this guy but people have convinced themselves that he's going to be a good signing. I just don't see it.

We seem hell bent on trying to help Chelsea out for some reason.