Trevoh Chalobah | to Palace on loan with no option or obligation to buy

I get the sentiment if this was a Colwill type talent, but if Chalobah costs double in a year's time, then we'll simply move onto other CB targets. I highly doubt that in 12 months time, we'll be kicking ourselves thinking "fecking hell, we could've signed Trevor Chalobah for 25m if only we took a risk on him!"
He’s better than Guehi in my opinion. Watch Palace sell him for 50m and pick up TC for half the price and he’ll go on to more than prove his worth

I suspect that this is a Wilcox or Ashworth suggestion

I think he is bang average, this falls in the "no better than what we have" category like when Mourinho had an interest in Maguire.

Not sure how genuine the Chelsea fans are being in here, many I know don't want him anywhere near starting for them.
The Chelsea fans here are saying different

No, it’s literally helping ourselves, which would be our primary motivation in doing any deal, and reason enough to do so. We would only move for Chalobah if we want him, and if we want him and we can get him, then we should move for him. We’re not just sending Chelsea a cheque as good neighbours. We get a player in return for that cheque.
Of course the primary motivation is us getting a player. I'm not questioning that. I'm questioning the reasoning behind Chelsea is looking to sell him. And if the deal anywhere similar to the Mount deal we will be shooting ourselves in the foot once again. He still has 4 years on his contract. I doubt Chelsea will sell him cheap once they get to know we are interested.

I know no one could have predicted Mount being injured for the whole season scoring 1 solitary goal, but that deal literally ended up as "sending a cheque as good neighbours" when we could have gotten him on a free. It is not good optics for our club.

Really sincerely hope not.

He’s missed 32 games this season… more than half the PL season too due to injury.

Above all else I want a fit, physically robust group of players. No risks.

And is about to help Chelsea with their PSR situation again. That is why they are looking to sell Chalobah and Gallagher. We'd look like right mugs if we gave them another 50m so they can spend it on hovering young talent again.

You're seemingly more worried about it "helping" Chelsea than what it potentially does for us, as well as the quality of the player in question. It's just an odd stance.

Your first reply in this thread you went off about Mason Mount.

You're seemingly more worried about it "helping" Chelsea than what it potentially does for us, as well as the quality of the player in question. It's just an odd stance.

Your first reply in this thread you went off about Mason Mount.
Yes. There's a few reasons why.

1. I clearly don't rate him as much as others seem to do. If we want a cheap English defender as a squad option I'd much rather we go for Tosin who Chelsea were reported to be in for as well.
2. As mentioned by others before, he had an injury ravaged season. The last thing we need is another injury prone defender warming the treatment table for more than half a season.
3. They are clearly going to try and fleece us. They got 55m from us for Mount who had 1 year left on his deal. Chalobah has 4 years still left on his deal. That reported 25m will go up to 40-45m as soon as we enter the race. I feel like even 25m is a lot. Of course other people might not agree on that but that's just my opinion.
4. Selling him clearly helps them with their PSR. If we want to sign someone from a direct rival which indirectly helps them to spend more, I'd rather sign someone of a higher quality(which would make them weaker as losing the player weakens them). They have other talented defenders coming back from injury who they probably want to play ahead of this guy.

I think he is bang average, this falls in the "no better than what we have" category like when Mourinho had an interest in Maguire.

Not sure how genuine the Chelsea fans are being in here, many I know don't want him anywhere near starting for them.

He's better than current Maguire

So in order to fix our problems at defense we're looking to sign a player that just missed over 190 days and 32 games injured. That sounds exactly like something we would do.

To be fair to TC he has had a fairly decent end of season.

He is a decent enough player but for me he isn’t close to a top 6 team starter.

Yes as a squad player he is fine his turn of pace will get him out of trouble but he makes far more mistakes than he should

He is nowhere near as assured as Colwill and if Fofana ( a very big if ) finally returns to fitness the chances are in a 4 at the back TC would potentially be 5th choice CD and if as seems likely we bring in another CD then he possibly would only be used if injuries or rotation.

He is for me a Jack of all trades to date he has only played 38 PL games at CD where he has been on the pitch for the full game and in total he has made 58 PL appearances.

Last edited:
To be fair to TC he has had a fairly decent end of season.

He is a decent enough player but for me he isn’t close to a top 6 team starter.

Yes as a squad player he is fine his turn of pace will get him out of trouble but he makes far more mistakes than he should

He is nowhere near as assured as Colwill and if Fofana ( a very big if ) finally returns to fitness the chances are in a 4 at the back TC would potentially be 5th choice CD and if as seems likely we bring in another CD then he possibly would only be used if injuries or rotation.

He is for me a Jack of all trades to date he has only played 38 PL games at CD where he has been on the pitch for the full game and in total he has made 58 PL appearances.
He has had a very strong end to the season. And I still don’t think he’s worth the risk.

If we sell him at that price we'd be beyond stupid, especially with Fofana and James' injury histories.

He's solid at everything without being spectacular at anything. A very good and consistent option to have. Personally think he's better than Ake since he can credibly play in a back 4.

Very good player who has the potential to really kick on i think. Injuries are the worry, and Chelsea of course .. I don't trust buying from the feckers.

Another average player we are going to convince ourselves just hasn't had the right opportunities elsewhere and will thrive at a club like ours.

The owners obviously listen, the Southgate rumours were shelved quickly when fans made it clear they hate the idea, now fans are backing ETH, the owners are having second thoughts about sacking him.

The more we collectivly say no to garbage signings like this, even as a squad player, the quicker we can work our way back to the top.

If we sell him at that price we'd be beyond stupid, especially with Fofana and James' injury histories.

He's solid at everything without being spectacular at anything. A very good and consistent option to have. Personally think he's better than Ake since he can credibly play in a back 4.

I’d say he’s also better than Badiashile and Disasi, and as of now. Fofana. He’s our second best CB. I’d rather sell the 3 guys above before I sell Chalobah, and I think those 3 are all pretty good, especially Badiashile.

I’d say he’s also better than Badiashile and Disasi, and as of now. Fofana. He’s our second best CB. I’d rather sell the 3 guys above before I sell Chalobah, and I think those 3 are all pretty good, especially Badiashile.

Disasi is a bit more commanding in the air so has his uses - also for me Badiashile last season displayed a higher ceiling but this year has fallen off a cliff. Of course that said, Chalobah probably has the fewest weaknesses to his game so is the best default option at this point.

Agreed though that on merit Chalobah should 100% stay. Certainly I think he's much better defending wide areas than Disasi is - which is crucial assuming Maresca is appointed.

Pick him up for a bargain he could be a decent squad addition. That's working off the assumption the likes of Lindelof are moving on.

Seems like a bit of a contrived link, I don't think he's particularly good. Probably just Chelsea trying to create a market for a player who they're keen to sell.

And is about to help Chelsea with their PSR situation again. That is why they are looking to sell Chalobah and Gallagher. We'd look like right mugs if we gave them another 50m so they can spend it on hovering young talent again.

So confused by this

First of all, article says 25m

Second, why wouldn’t we acquire a player who would benefit us for a fair price?

Third, it’s a marketplace. Will be plenty of folks will to buy if we don’t.

So confused by this

First of all, article says 25m

Second, why wouldn’t we acquire a player who would benefit us for a fair price?

Third, it’s a marketplace. Will be plenty of folks will to buy if we don’t.
I've addressed in a previous post but other clubs are welcome to have him. I don't rate him as much as people seem to do here.

Yes. There's a few reasons why.

1. I clearly don't rate him as much as others seem to do. If we want a cheap English defender as a squad option I'd much rather we go for Tosin who Chelsea were reported to be in for as well.
2. As mentioned by others before, he had an injury ravaged season. The last thing we need is another injury prone defender warming the treatment table for more than half a season.
3. They are clearly going to try and fleece us. They got 55m from us for Mount who had 1 year left on his deal. Chalobah has 4 years still left on his deal. That reported 25m will go up to 40-45m as soon as we enter the race. I feel like even 25m is a lot. Of course other people might not agree on that but that's just my opinion.
4. Selling him clearly helps them with their PSR. If we want to sign someone from a direct rival which indirectly helps them to spend more, I'd rather sign someone of a higher quality(which would make them weaker as losing the player weakens them). They have other talented defenders coming back from injury who they probably want to play ahead of this guy.

Another average player we are going to convince ourselves just hasn't had the right opportunities elsewhere and will thrive at a club like ours.

The owners obviously listen, the Southgate rumours were shelved quickly when fans made it clear they hate the idea, now fans are backing ETH, the owners are having second thoughts about sacking him.

The more we collectivly say no to garbage signings like this, even as a squad player, the quicker we can work our way back to the top.
There might be an element of truth in this. The way the club stopped pursuing Arnautovic after fan backlash was quite telling.

I've addressed in a previous post but other clubs are welcome to have him. I don't rate him as much as people seem to do here.

I agree with you on #3. If he’s more expensive than what the article quotes, that obviously changes the scenario. But not sure that’s worth speculating on too much. Also, not many good long-term squad options we’ll get for less than 20m anymore - think those days are just about behind us

And sure, if we can really get Tosin, I.e., we are his preferred option sounds great. Not sure if any of that is the case though. If Tosin is in London already, maybe he simply doesn’t want to move and his agent has communicated that to us - many factors we can only speculate about. But it’s not like Tosin is some big secret - we’re obviously across his situation.

Not fussed at all about PSR. Again, this is a marketplace. If we don’t buy, someone else does, maybe for a few million less but it’ll be a similar range. I think we need to focus on us, not them.

I don’t rate him at all. Surprised so many do in here to be honest. Wouldn’t be happy with this even if he didn’t have have his injury issues on top.

I'd happily sell him. He makes at least one catastrophic error which should lead to a goal whenever he plays. He was prone to these errors from the get go and i assumed they would be ironed out over time. But they haven't been. £70m and he's yours.

since when is miguel delaney reliable? I dont think I can remember the last time he was right about anything.

Must say I've only seen him a handful of times but he looked solid from what I can recall. Not a slouch to get past and I think he was playing either in a back three wide at one point dealing with runs coming in from the channels.

Centre half is undoubtedly a position United need to reinvigorate, with the departures of Evans and Varane (Maguire potentially) I'd say the club ought to recruit two either side of the left and right. If the the sums is in the region of 25m that's a valuable opportunity.

Would people be happy with him coming as our first choice right centre back? I don't think he's a bad player, but I'm not sure I'd be happy if we signed him as a Varane replacement.