Trevoh Chalobah | to Palace on loan with no option or obligation to buy

I’d say he’s also better than Badiashile and Disasi, and as of now. Fofana. He’s our second best CB. I’d rather sell the 3 guys above before I sell Chalobah, and I think those 3 are all pretty good, especially Badiashile.
Disasi is a bit more commanding in the air so has his uses - also for me Badiashile last season displayed a higher ceiling but this year has fallen off a cliff. Of course that said, Chalobah probably has the fewest weaknesses to his game so is the best default option at this point.

Agreed though that on merit Chalobah should 100% stay. Certainly I think he's much better defending wide areas than Disasi is - which is crucial assuming Maresca is appointed.

The very little I've seen of him, he doesn't strike me out as being dominant in any one particular area and the bolded is exactly how I see of him really. Not bad or decent at most things but doesn't really scream high potential, a bit like Christensen, who basically reminded me of a better Lindelof and I don't consider that a compliment.

I'm probably talking absolute shite tbh but how would you guys describe Chalobah's best attributes and does the eye/stats test actually show this? Aerial? Duels, passing, contested tackles, interceptions etc?

Seems to me he was playing his best football under Tuchel in a well protected system (of multiple defenders/midfielders and Kante) and next to an inspired Silva.

I'd happily sell him. He makes at least one catastrophic error which should lead to a goal whenever he plays. He was prone to these errors from the get go and i assumed they would be ironed out over time. But they haven't been. £70m and he's yours.
I disagree ..he is the best of the bunch, the other defenders are more likely to make mistakes and he has his heart in it, he will be really good if we keep him.

I disagree ..he is the best of the bunch, the other defenders are more likely to make mistakes and he has his heart in it, he will be really good if we keep him.

People, do not trust this man @Nickholas or @duffer or @WeePat. Very dangerous bunch of Chelsea fans who've been tasked by CFC to help sell Chalobah to us.

Would people be happy with him coming as our first choice right centre back? I don't think he's a bad player, but I'm not sure I'd be happy if we signed him as a Varane replacement.

He'll be a Varane replacement in the hospital for certain.

Probably a better and cheaper signing than the young lad at Everton. Also what’s the latest on the Fulham centreback who’s out of contract?
He will be out of contract soon and he will probably want a big signing on fee and big wages from his next employer.
That is why they do it.

I think we should sign him purely because his name is Trevor spelt in a manc accent.

I think he’s always been good whenever I’ve watched him but doesn’t he have a bad injury record ? I always find it mental that no one ever seems to get linked with Tomori who I always thought was the best academy centre back Chelsea have produced in years ahead of Chalobah, Guehi and Colwill.

Would people be happy with him coming as our first choice right centre back? I don't think he's a bad player, but I'm not sure I'd be happy if we signed him as a Varane replacement.
He would be coming in to cover quite a few positions I think, which would make him an extremely good squad player. I actually do think a pairing of him and Martinez could work very well and he could play RB if your tactics let your FB push up into midfield and your defensive shape forms a back 3.

He would be coming in to cover quite a few positions I think, which would make him an extremely good squad player. I actually do think a pairing of him and Martinez could work very well and he could play RB if your tactics let your FB push up into midfield and your defensive shape forms a back 3.

Yeah, he and Shaw as a FB pairing would allow us to switch this dependent on which side of the pitch the ball is on. Would allow us a few different looks tacitcally.

Yeah, he and Shaw as a FB pairing would allow us to switch this dependent on which side of the pitch the ball is on. Would allow us a few different looks tacitcally.
And even Dalot, as he steps in to midfield extremely well on either side.

I think he’s always been good whenever I’ve watched him but doesn’t he have a bad injury record ? I always find it mental that no one ever seems to get linked with Tomori who I always thought was the best academy centre back Chelsea have produced in years ahead of Chalobah, Guehi and Colwill.

Same. But only because Colwill is 21 and doesnt get many chances at CB. Think hes going to be the best

I think if your planning on keeping Martinez as left centre back than a signing like Chalobah makes more sense than someone like Branthwaite.

I wasnt quite sure on him before, but Chelsea looked better defensively when he came in at the end of the season, and he seemed more mature and confident in his performances than what I remember.

I would class this as a sensible transfer, rather than an exciting one, and there's nothing wrong with them.

So we should go for players that have never picked up an injury before? Going to be a very small pool of players to choose from.
Maybe just not someone who has had a major injury in the season just gone and has not yet shown to play sustained games to prove to be over it.

I know nothing about him, except he couldn't have a more Manc sounding name if he tried. Sign him on that basis.

Maybe just not someone who has had a major injury in the season just gone and has not yet shown to play sustained games to prove to be over it.
He's played 13 games since he came back. 10 of those games he played 90 minutes or just short of the full 90.

People, do not trust this man @Nickholas or @duffer or @WeePat. Very dangerous bunch of Chelsea fans who've been tasked by CFC to help sell Chalobah to us.

:lol: I would honestly really hate to lose him, especially to United.

He's one of those players that have improved every year since he made the first team. He used to be a bit error prone, especially early on under Tuchel but these days he plays like an accomplished, confident ball playing CB who is quick, strong, agile and very versatile. We would be totally braindead to let him leave at any price, let alone for cheap.

Tomori is also 26. The only player close to his age is Chalobah who's 24, and he has nowhere near the same level of experience. I think Colwill is easily the most talented CB out of that bunch.

How will we stand on the home grown rule next season if we gut the squad and get rid of all the players we'd like to?

Chalobah could be a cheap ish way around that, and would be a good squad player when fit. Cheaper, younger and more suitable for a high press than Maguire, Lindelof and Evans for example.

So we should go for players that have never picked up an injury before? Going to be a very small pool of players to choose from.
I am saying maybe we should be more careful with buying injured players. We just wasted 70m on a player who played 10 games for us.

And if he is best what our scouts can find at moment, God help us anyway.

If this is true, it gives me some hope we're looking at a 2-3 year build, not going down the usual route of signing a few big names and hoping it all comes together. On paper, Chalobah (24)/Licha (26) is a good pairing and has legs for a long partnership. Got to remember it's unlikely the signings this window will take us to the top but the next step is CL regulars and then you can cherry pick one or two big signings to elevate you from there.

Then broaden it out and you have Dalot (25), Chalobah (24), Licha (26), and hopefully a new LB and it's a great potential unit.

I don't know, I am all for us going for youngish / experiencedish players who offer value compared your bog standard pay through the nose.

That said I just don't see what he excels at. He seems to be a no-nonsense defender in that he immediately sends the ball back from where it came but really not comfortable with the ball at his feet.. Seems pretty big and pacey but clumsy and erratic in equal measure.

I am probably doing him an injustice here but he looks a modern day smalling based off what I have seen, more than happy to be corrected

A shrewd signing in my opinion.
Wouldn’t expect him to be a starter but we need two CB’s and I think him and Branthwaite would be good business.

The very little I've seen of him, he doesn't strike me out as being dominant in any one particular area and the bolded is exactly how I see of him really. Not bad or decent at most things but doesn't really scream high potential, a bit like Christensen, who basically reminded me of a better Lindelof and I don't consider that a compliment.

I'm probably talking absolute shite tbh but how would you guys describe Chalobah's best attributes and does the eye/stats test actually show this? Aerial? Duels, passing, contested tackles, interceptions etc?

Seems to me he was playing his best football under Tuchel in a well protected system (of multiple defenders/midfielders and Kante) and next to an inspired Silva.

He's a solid passer without being hugely creative. Generally reliable and not too mistake-prone. If he has one weakness I think it's that he isn't particularly good at making blocks - but his 1v1 defending in wide areas is good/excellent and he's smart about when and how he challenges opponents.

He'd be best used as a CB who doesn't have to stay central and moves out to the flanks to cover for either an aggressive fullback or a winger who stays high as an outlet. Also he's got a knack for scoring on set plays; tends to find himself in good positions.

He's a solid passer without being hugely creative. Generally reliable and not too mistake-prone. If he has one weakness I think it's that he isn't particularly good at making blocks - but his 1v1 defending in wide areas is good/excellent and he's smart about when and how he challenges opponents.

He'd be best used as a CB who doesn't have to stay central and moves out to the flanks to cover for either an aggressive fullback or a winger who stays high as an outlet. Also he's got a knack for scoring on set plays; tends to find himself in good positions.

Sounds more like a wider center back in a three. It could still work for us, Ten Hag's preferred structure was

----------- DM --- FB / CM -----------
-- Shaw -- Martinez -- Varane --

He'd be replacing Varane in there - generally would need to carry the ball forward to create threat on build up, nip in aggressively and win the ball to prevent counters and defend wide spaces. The progressive carries number is fairly low (38th percentile). Rest can't be measured through stats very well.

What we ideally want is a guy like Rudiger / Ramos to add that physical component on top.