Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

We haven't got a reliable left back.

Well then sell them/one so that we can get a ‘reliable’ one. A new LB may not be reliable either. Malacia was a new LB a year ago. We can’t just stack them up.

I think we'll be looking for a Malacia upgrade / replacement. We just can't run the risk of a repeat of last season.

We may have to. I’d love us to upgrade Malacia, mainly because he’s not very good, but what we are very unlikely to do is just act as if he doesn’t have exist. We can’t just replace him while he’s now fully fit and still here.

It's basically urgent. We've got Shaw, who can't be trusted at all, and a lad who didn't make a single appearance last season and for all we know won't ever play football again.

Shaw is England’s first choice LB, about to play a major tournament. If he shows up in August fit, as he most likely will, what should we do with him? We’ll play him. While having a now fit Malacia somewhere, plus a new LB. And Harry Amass. If Shaw is as bad as is stated, we need to sell.

Shaw was out nearly a full season, malacia was out the full season, Martinez missed most of the season. That may sound extreme but when you add context; Shaw can’t last a full season (ten haha words) and we don’t know how Martinez will fair after a really bad injury or if he’s going to be prone to niggles. It would be negligent to not bring in other LB or LCB. Particular when shaw and Martinez are considered crucial to how we play

Shaw, Malacia and Amass are three LBs. A fourth would have been great last season. Just as a 7th choice CB would have been. That said, we can’t plan from that position. If we get a new LB, we need to sell one, and that will be difficult for the reasons you mentioned. How does it work with Shaw, Malacia, Kerkez and Amass, who is just two years younger than Kerkez himself?

Shaw is England’s first choice LB, about to play a major tournament. If he shows up in August fit, as he most likely will, what should we do with him? We’ll play him. While having a now fit Malacia somewhere, plus a new LB. And Harry Amass. If Shaw is as bad as is stated, we need to sell.
Like your optimism but sadly reality doesn’t care about hope and optimism. And the reality is Shaw is unreliable. Malacia suffered a horrible season ending injury and we don’t even know if he’s gonna be fully fit at all. And Amass is a kid, 16-17 I guess? He’s still growing and doesn’t have the physicality and of course experience.

You really want to go next season with these options? Because I can assure you Shaw would break down and Malacia’s fitness is uncertain too. We need a LB plain and simple.

Well then sell them/one so that we can get a ‘reliable’ one. A new LB may not be reliable either. Malacia was a new LB a year ago. We can’t just stack them up.

We may have to. I’d love us to upgrade Malacia, mainly because he’s not very good, but what we are very unlikely to do is just act as if he doesn’t have exist. We can’t just replace him while he’s now fully fit and still here.

Shaw, Malacia and Amass are three LBs. A fourth would have been great last season. Just as a 7th choice CB would have been. That said, we can’t plan from that position. If we get a new LB, we need to sell one, and that will be difficult for the reasons you mentioned. How does it work with Shaw, Malacia, Kerkez and Amass, who is just two years younger than Kerkez himself?
We sold Fernandez and had Regullion on loan this season. We should be able to have cover there in the event that a) Shaw gets injured or b) Malacia is no where near back to where he was. It would genuinely be mad to not have LB cover, even if that's just a LCB/LB like Lucimi or someone similar in profile. Amass hasn't even made his first team debut, to suggest we should go into the season with him as the first team cover for LB would be insane. I expect him to make his debut this season, but we should not be in a position where he's thrust into the side and expected to start regularly.

Would we not be better served sending Amass out on loan also?
Amass, as very talented and exciting as he looks, has only really been playing at U18 level so far. He's had some U21 games in the 2nd half of last season, but I'd imagine the plan is to have him part of our pre-season and then for him to be with the U21's in the first half of the season.

After that, I'd expect a decision to be made in January as he probably shouldn't 'waste' a whole season in the U21 set up. It would be nice if he got his debut in some of the EL group games, but I wouldn't expect him to make many first team appearances for us next season and could certainly see him being loaned out at some point in 2025 - either January or for 25/26.

I deliberately didn’t mention Amass as he has just turned 17. He needs to develop at the right speed for him.

now that leaves 2 potential LB, neither of which hardly kicked a ball last season. We can’t go into a season just hoping that they’re ok.

This seems legit (multiple sources reported it) but reportedly improved a bit because we qualified for the EL. That's net spend, so if we manage to raise 80-100M in sales, I think we get to spend 150-175M or so in new players.

I’d like to see us briefing that regardless of our financial position.

£50M :lol: utter tripe
£50M before sales sounds about right tbh.

Factor in the fee we're going to get for Greenwood and possibly Sancho then we have big wages coming off the books with Varane gone and possibly Casemiro too. I imagine one of Maguire or Lindelof will go. The transfer budget starts to look a lot better.

Based on what Whitwell and Crafton's latest Athletic article stated, the £50m budget is their starting point for when they couldn't get into Europe. Now that they're in the EL, their budget should be higher, but I guess they want to start low to save some money along the way.

Maybe it's the FFP limit? result of spending nearly half a billion in the last two years

If these reports are true sounds like the club are writing off next season not just the fans.
I know I'm talking to a brick wall here, but have you learned literally nothing in the past few weeks?

This seems legit (multiple sources reported it) but reportedly improved a bit because we qualified for the EL. That's net spend, so if we manage to raise 80-100M in sales, I think we get to spend 150-175M or so in new players.
weren't there some experts here who claimed that we would be able to spend up to 400m? :lol:

weren't there some experts here who claimed that we would be able to spend up to 400m? :lol:
Even if we did have a big budget I don't think the club would like to let that slip. That's an Ed Woodward move. Better to go into windows pretending you're on a tight budget than go in telling everyone you have a £200M war chest.

Every summer such articles pop up, every summer people debate the finances trying to act smart. Every summer we end up spending loads.

Hopefully this time we are smart in how we spend that money.

We could but that doesn't mean they want to or should. We're apparently not very limited by PSR right now and it seems like that's the theoretical maximum they could spend.

I’d like to see us briefing that regardless of our financial position.

The source is what we told players agents not what we briefed the journos, so that's why I was saying it seemed legit.

If you had £400m to spend, would you prefer to have journalists reporting that to the world as you entered negotiations, or that you only had £50m?

I told these 'experts' not to confuse what we could spend under FFP with what we can actually spend based on money available. Being badly run for years has caught up with us.

I have no issues with those types of press leaks, go the Barca route and claim poverty in the market, shouting from the rooftops about how much cash we have hasn't really served us well has it.

I have no issues with those types of press leaks, go the Barca route and claim poverty in the market, shouting from the rooftops about how much cash we have hasn't really served us well has it.
I don't think those are leaks, just journalists stirring shit, as they have done in previous seasons as well.

In any case I doubt selling clubs will give us a better deal even if we claimed poverty.