Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Pep sometimes signs players to stop teams around him strengthening, Alvarez was a classic example. Grealish too.. and I’d even go as far as Haaland,
some end up forcing their way into the team, but I don’t think he really has a plan for everyone he signs
I think that is not true: Pep is a fanatical perfectionist and the Cheats can basically buy whoever they want.

Alvarez and Grealish were backup and potential, Haaland a generational player you build around.

my monthly reminder that the club spends as much as anyone under the Glazers

200m last summer, looking similar again this year
Agreed. My main gripe with the glazers is who they appointed to spend that money i.e. Woodward and the managers pre-ETH. Other gripe is around the facilties, the stadium is now behind other teams as are our training facilities.

Let's be real, the reason fans hate Glazers is down to one thing, lack of winning. If we had the success City has had in the recent past, no one would give a shite about the debt, dividends paid or any other money related issues people seem to blame them for.

If recent reports are to be believed. Looking like Greenwood and Hojlund for next season up front.. let’s hope it doesn’t bite us in the arse!

€430m spent on signings since last summer. Can't say Ten Hag has not been backed. Time to sell the dross now. Mctom, Maguire, VDB, Fred, Williams time to pack your bags.

Crazy price, let’s hope it works out. The pressure will be huge and rivals fans, journalists etc will jump on him at the very first opportunity.

Honestly thought we’d get him for £50m and £5m add ons, so hopefully we have enough money for a top midfielder, that is where we will lose games when we get overrun in the middle of the park. Lose Casemiro we are fecked.

Happy we have a real number 9 again.

Even higher price than I thought it would be. Can't pretend that I'm too happy with it tbh. For that sort of cost I don't see the logic in not just paying the extra £50m for a world class striker like Kane or Osimhen. A lot of flaws in his game and I'm a bit unconvinced about his fit for our style tbh. His actual goalscoring is solid for his age but still not enough for what we need. He's going to need to improve extremely quickly. Anyway, similar to Mount despite being unconvinced I'm going to hope he does better than I expect.

Even higher price than I thought it would be. Can't pretend that I'm too happy with it tbh. For that sort of cost I don't see the logic in not just paying the extra £50m for a world class striker like Kane or Osimhen. A lot of flaws in his game and I'm a bit unconvinced about his fit for our style tbh. His actual goalscoring is solid for his age but still not enough for what we need. He's going to need to improve extremely quickly. Anyway, similar to Mount despite being unconvinced I'm going to hope he does better than I expect.
Only way we were signing Kane was (a) if he was our one marquee signing for the Summer in order to 'complete the puzzle', with all the budget potentially allocated to him and (b) if Joe Lewis personally instructed Levy that he was obliged to sell to the highest bidder, regardless of whether they were 'rivals' or not (Arsenal might still be an exception). Osimhen likewise could go for crazy money, at which point it becomes its own risk regardless of how good the player is in another league - there's nothing to indicate that Napoli wouldn't hold out for 160m + or something, given the president's statements and past record....

It's a slightly steep but in current market (supply of STKs, general fee inflation) reasonable investment in a striker with a range of physical and technical attributes potentially suited, once they're honed a bit, to leading the line in the style we play and in the league we play in. The bigger indication as to whether they've got better at negotiating will be the Amrabat fee (or who we go for and at what price as an alternative if Fiorentina push their luck), along with any McT/Fred/ Donny outbound deals...

I think that is not true: Pep is a fanatical perfectionist and the Cheats can basically buy whoever they want.

Alvarez and Grealish were backup and potential, Haaland a generational player you build around.

All of the players have the same thing in common though, there’s always noise around them joining rivals, before they end up sat on city’s bench instead, when you can look at the player and know full well they don’t fit a pep system, it’s a bit sus for me. Grealish is now essentially having to change how he plays just to get a game ffs

Only way we were signing Kane was (a) if he was our one marquee signing for the Summer in order to 'complete the puzzle', with all the budget potentially allocated to him and (b) if Joe Lewis personally instructed Levy that he was obliged to sell to the highest bidder, regardless of whether they were 'rivals' or not (Arsenal might still be an exception). Osimhen likewise could go for crazy money, at which point it becomes its own risk regardless of how good the player is in another league - there's nothing to indicate that Napoli wouldn't hold out for 160m + or something, given the president's statements and past record....
Kane you might be right on. It could genuinely be a case of Spurs refusing to sell to Utd regardless of price, though I do still feel if Kane made it clear he would either join Utd for a fee or leave to join Utd at the end of the season, that Spurs would probably have agreed to sell. Regardless, we'll assume you're right on that one. There's no way Napoli turn down £120-130m for Osimhen. Serie A clubs don't have the finances that PL clubs have. £120m would be absolutely huge for Napoli and I'm sure they could have got a very good replacement (even if not as good as Osimhen) for less than half that, and they'd still have Kvaratskelia there, so it's not like they'd have no world class players left.

I think it's a case of the club not wanting to pay more than £100m on a single player, even though it would probably end up being a much more successful strategy if we actually targeted the right player. You should either go all out for a world class talent or go cheap on a youngster like Marcos Leonardo for like £20m for example. This in between strategy of spending ridiculously high sums on players that aren't at that level like we have with both Antony and Hojlund now is getting the worst of both options imo.

lots of Greenwood noise today about him being allowed back into the team, Adidas apparently held positive talks, but they’ve now denied it.. you know how it goes though, there’s no smoke without fire

when it comes to football journalism there often is

All of the players have the same thing in common though, there’s always noise around them joining rivals, before they end up sat on city’s bench instead, when you can look at the player and know full well they don’t fit a pep system, it’s a bit sus for me. Grealish is now essentially having to change how he plays just to get a game ffs
There are not many players who can do what a winger for Cheaty needs to do, and Grealish is capable of it.

lots of Greenwood noise today about him being allowed back into the team, Adidas apparently held positive talks, but they’ve now denied it.. you know how it goes though, there’s no smoke without fire
It's all coming from the Sun. Take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Adidas have refuted that.

Happy we have him, but we have certainly overpaid. Oh well. Really looking forward to seeing him play for us.

60£ = 70 million
4£ = 5 million

Romano said 70 million € plus 5 million € in bonuses, as did Pedulla

£72m is a LOT of money for a young prospect :annoyed:

Yes but you just know if we had refused to sign him - he would turn out to be a superstar and we would sit her in 12 months time being annoyed that we didn't sign him when we had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.