Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

mctrials23

Got to love transfer season.

"£30m is too high for Hojlund"

Next season

"Why didn't we pay the £50m for Hojlund, we never pick up talent before they are a star".

You can't win. You either pay for ready made stars or you take a punt on someone. Either way, unless they are a nobody you are going to have to pay real money. Teams like Brighton can take a punt on cheaper players and play them into form and bed them in. United will expect players to hit the ground running or we will have someone else who can do a better job in the mean time.

You buy someone to replace Eriksen and he doesn't perform to a high enough level then you play Eriksen most of the time.

zaafi

If we are applying this logic then tons of strikers haw this potential. It's bizarre you're overvaluing a kid who has played one full season in a relevant league with 9 goals in 30+ league games.

I can see 30m for that potential but 60m is absolutely laughable.
1834 minutes which is around 20 full matches. That's almost one goal every other match.

It's really not that bad

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Next season

"Why didn't we pay the £50m for Hojlund, we never pick up talent before they are a star".

You can't win. You either pay for ready made stars or you take a punt on someone. Either way, unless they are a nobody you are going to have to pay real money. Teams like Brighton can take a punt on cheaper players and play them into form and bed them in. United will expect players to hit the ground running or we will have someone else who can do a better job in the mean time.

You buy someone to replace Eriksen and he doesn't perform to a high enough level then you play Eriksen most of the time.
I think we’re in the ‘take a punt’ bracket by default now. FFP means we can’t blow the big money, and quite frankly our track record with the big transfers is so bad in recent years that we may as well take punts

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
1834 minutes which is around 20 full matches. That's almost one goal every other match.

It's really not that bad
Right but on the flpside the poster was arguing worth of more than 30m on a very very small sample of minutes, so my point stands

sparx99

Next season

There are always two camps. Just like I don’t want to overpay for Hojlund because it adds pressure. I thought Antony had a pretty good first year but because we paid so much people are calling him crap.

As I said in earlier post teams are taking the piss with fees. Hojlund went for €17m last summer. Has his season really tripled his value? Players need to get much firmer about release clauses in their contracts to get some power back in their careers.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

Yeah makes me want to pull my hair out
Well they play in completely different positions, and Caicedo may not fit how he wants the team to set up. If we didn't have Casemiro then I'm sure he'd want Caicedo or Rice but if you put either of them into the team next to Casemiro, that must not be creative/attacking enough for whatever ten Hags planning.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Who’s gonna be our first signing… Mounts the one we’re pushing for the most.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
This makes no sense. So our gk position is dependent on what ddg wants to do. A backup gk barely plays any minutes a season. Get rid and move on, the balls in our court. Not much has changed post Woodward, up to us pogba would be still on the books and treatment table.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

Who’s gonna be our first signing… Mounts the one we’re pushing for the most.
I think Mount will keep rumbling on to the end of the month, Chelsea won't drop the price until then. Kim (or alternative) nothing will happen until July, Hojlund's price seems a bit steep so we'll probably spend a while negotiating that. So, a keeper? Onana/Raya/Diogo Costa?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think Mount will keep rumbling on to the end of the month, Chelsea won't drop the price until then. Kim (or alternative) nothing will happen until July, Hojlund's price seems a bit steep so we'll probably spend a while negotiating that. So, a keeper? Onana/Raya/Diogo Costa?
Kim’s probably most likely to be honest thinking about it, if Bayern are interested we’ll try and rush to get it done. We’re the only ones after Mount so that might take time like you said. Don’t think we’ll spend 65m on Costa so unless they drop the price or we sell players then I can’t see a keeper coming in until late in the window if that.

Woziak

Omg yet another completely underwhelming start to a transfer window magnified this summer by the Goblins still being the owners of our club. and potentially getting ETH sacked before he’s got going; if we sign J Pickford, A Desali, A Rabiot, M Mount and R Hojlund this summer for about £200m, Murtourgh, Arnold and ETH will all lose their jobs next summer because we’ll finish 6th when the top 5 qualify for the CL. I mean if SJR wins he would probably be delighted, his highest ever finish owning a pro club but SJ and 92 Foundation will just fire everyone.

We need ; D Costa £55m, KMJ £45m, A Rabiot (Free), M Veratti (£25m), M Mount(£50m), A Griezmann (£25m), R Hojlund (£55m) this is the best we can get for probably £255m then hopefully get Neymar on a 2 year loan. I want us to stockpile players so we can have a huge squad. Veratti and Griezmann will be ok for 1-2 years. Seriously need to get 7-8 players in .

Last edited:

2E_MUFC

Omg yet another completely underwhelming start to a transfer window magnified this summer by the Goblins still being the owners of our club. and potentially getting ETH sacked before he’s got going; if we sign J Pickford, A Desali, A Rabiot, M Mount and R Hojlund this summer for about £200m, Murtourgh, Arnold and ETH will all lose their jobs next summer because we’ll finish 6th when the top 5 qualify for the CL. I mean if SJR wins he would probably be delighted, his highest ever finish owning a pro club but SJ and 92 Foundation will just fire everyone.

We need ; D Costa £55m, KMJ £45m, A Rabiot (Free), M Veratti (£25m), M Mount(£50m), A Griezmann (£25m), R Hojlund (£55m) this is the best we can get for probably £255m then hopefully get Neymar on a 2 year loan. I want us to stockpile players so we can have a huge squad. Veratti and Griezmann will be ok for 1-2 years. Seriously need to get 7-8 players in .
Griezmann and Neymar? What could possibly go wrong with that…

Woziak

Griezmann and Neymar? What could possibly go wrong with that…
Not much because they would probably only play 30 to 35 games each and probably end up with Griezmann 12-15 PL and 15 assists and Neymar 20 pl goals and 15 assists. I mean we don’t score goals right ?

croadyman

Are we even remotely interested in any of Verratti,Griezmann or Neymar (loan). Hate to break it to you but we are on a budget and generally make feck all from player sales

mariko48

Why isn't any news about Verratti? He's available and can replace Eriksen easily.

roseguy64

Next season

If Hojlund had scored 20+ goals then gambling 50m on him would be worth it. Like Liverpool with Nunez. Hojlund couldn't manage double figures though so...

Real Name

If Hojlund had scored 20+ goals then gambling 50m on him would be worth it. Like Liverpool with Nunez. Hojlund couldn't manage double figures though so...
Someone else will gabmle on him and he'll maybe score left, right and center.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Someone else will gabmle on him and he'll maybe score left, right and center.
Or maybe he'll only score one or two.

That I guess is the definition of a gamble.

Real Name

Or maybe he'll only score one or two.

That I guess is the definition of a gamble.
Yes. But whenever other club do it and it turns out it was worth it we hear cries why dont United make deals like that.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yes. But whenever other club do it and it turns out it was worth it we hear cries why dont United make deals like that.
True.

Or we could hear the words 'that's a bullet dodged thankfully'

I think the point here is it's a big gamble spending the rumoured amount on a striker who scored less than 10 goals last season and expecting more at a different level next season.

Personally for £30m I'd take the gamble, but its neither my money nor my gamble to make.

redcucumber

It's a bit annoying that Onana was available on a free last summer and I don't remember us ever being linked with him. A year later and we're interested but it'll cost us £70m (probably not actually £70m). We got ourselves into a weird situation putting so much stock into De Gea who was obviously on a sharp decline and by giving Henderson a ridiculous contract. Fudged it.

Woziak

Griezmann? Wow
Smart move with a restricted budget, he can play 8,9,10 and wide right 32 and has 2 good years in him. We need an experienced Striker to go with Hojlund. Due to the problems with the club having new owners we might just get £250m to spend after selling players, we’ll miss out on every decent signing that was available; Kane, Osimhen, Caciedo, KMJ, Rice etc so we got to get creative;

GK - D Costa (55m) , RB/CB J Timber (40m), CM A Rabiot (Free), No8 M Mount (55m), P Dybala No 10, (20m), A Griezmann Striker (20m) , R Hojlund No 9 (60m)

Squad 23/24
GK -
Diego Costa, M Kovar(HG)T Heaton (HG)
Defenders - AWB(HG) D Dalot, R Varanne, J Timber, H Maguire(HGwe won’t move him), L Martinez, L Shaw(HG), T Malacia , V Lindelof
Midfield - Casemeiro, A Rabiot, S Mctominay (HG), M Mount(HG), C Ericsen, Bruno, K Mainoo(HG)
Attack - Sancho(HG), Antony, Griezmann, P Dybala, M Rashford(HG),R Hojlund, A Garnaucho(HG), A Martial( no one will buy him)

Squad of 27 , much more creativity, youth goals and experience plus a new way too play from the back with a great keeper. Eleven HG players so all good. And we can look to sell Maguire in January and do a deal for Kane then. We can also loan out Greenwood and maybe get a sizeable fee next summer!

I’d be ok with this squad giving the circumstances however loosing out on KMJ is a huge error by the club but it’s to be expected as we are sh.. at transfers !