Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It feels like the media only bring up our players' contracts and concerns around them, even when there's multiple years left on them?

Although it might happen to other clubs and I'm just sensitive to United related...
This is a first from my observation. No other young player in a bigger team has gotten this much attention about their contract situation despite having a lengthy contract. This is what young players like Leny Yoro tend to deal with regularly. Garnacho has also dealt with something similar, but he didn't have a lengthy contract like Mainoo did. I guess that, given United's current position, we shouldn't be surprised to see stories like this more often, especially when the current top teams can offer more to Mainoo in terms of short-term success.

flameinthesun

Tier 2:
  • The departures will dictate the summer activity.
    • If a CB leaves, then United will prioritise bringing in a new CB.
      • Reminder: United are interested in both Branthwaite and Todibo
  • Midfield
    • United may sell Casemiro, prompting them to go after a new midfielder
      • Becomes a higher priority should Christian Eriksen also leave
    • United are keeping plenty of options, some of which include the following
      • João Gomes (Wolves)
        • Several clubs looking at him
      • Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall (Leicester)
        • Might cost £25m and allowed to leave if Leicester don't get promoted
  • Forward
    • Striker is the highest priority.
    • United are looking at longer-term options (i.e. younger players, no older stop-gaps)
      • Sesko, Evan Ferguson, and Zirzkee are three of the options
      • Not likely to enter the race for Osimhen
        • Looking for £250k/week in wages
      • Sesko & Zirkzee are available for under £50m whilst Ferguson's available for at least £80m
Yeah, we've invested in Rasmus who is looking like he is developing into a quality striker. I personally think it would be a waste of money to invest in another £50mil+ striker especially when we have other areas that need addressing. A backup striker whether young or older is fine but not an evan ferguson.

hobbers

"Will look at right backs this summer"

Great way to let everyone know you dont have a fecking scooby.

Gordon S

Looking for right backs heh?
Casemiros future decides if we get another cm or not. So, if he stays we have no need for a new cm? Alrighty then.

hobbers

It's not a case of "if he stays" like we want him to stay.

Highest paid player in the club who's been by far the worst starter (when fit) since February 2023.

Von Mistelroum

I would really like this Southgate talk to go away forever. This is exactly the sort of nonsense I expected with Jim Ratcliffe, and if this is the sort direction we're taking then it's going to be a long time before we compete for anything.

didz

I would really like this Southgate talk to go away forever. This is exactly the sort of nonsense I expected with Jim Ratcliffe, and if this is the sort direction we're taking then it's going to be a long time before we compete for anything.
The new Sneijder

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
From out of nowhere:

First call (Tier 3):

It feels like an April Fools' joke given how suddenly this has come to the fore, but it's not.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Is this good, or bad?

Can't really keep up with all these appointments. What's a technical director and why is this chap the best man for the job?
Good news, worked previously with Berrada and by all accounts has done a good job since then.

Southampton are (rightly) annoyed to be losing him as he’s an important part of their club structure.

As for what a technical director does I’d say they are usually responsible for:
  • Performance at various levels (academy through to first team) including analysis
  • Sports Science Depts (working closely)
  • Talent ID
  • Long term strategic planning related to football outcomes

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Good news, worked previously with Berrada and by all accounts has done a good job since then.

Southampton are (rightly) annoyed to be losing him as he’s an important part of their club structure.

As for what a technical director does I’d say they are usually responsible for:
  • Performance at various levels (academy through to first team) including analysis
  • Sports Science Depts (working closely)
  • Talent ID
  • Long term strategic planning related to football outcomes
Cheers, so part of putting a proper structure in place then.

So what's Ashworth's role, director of football? What's that then?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
United are looking for a Director of football, Football director and a Director of Balls.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Cheers, so part of putting a proper structure in place then.

So what's Ashworth's role, director of football? What's that then?
Pretty much.

In some clubs the roles are incredibly similar and synonymous. Ashworth however would have more say over who is bought and sold as usually a director of football deals with players in and out of the club more so than a technical director who in this role will likely be more about who is already in the building and dealing with staff more so than players (I think and am basing this of an average structure at other clubs).

So planning with the technical director if we lose player X what qualities are we missing so we can scout a replacement player Y etc.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Pretty much.

In some clubs the roles are incredibly similar and synonymous. Ashworth however would have more say over who is bought and sold as usually a director of football deals with players in and out of the club more so than a technical director who in this role will likely be more about who is already in the building and dealing with staff more so than players (I think and am basing this of an average structure at other clubs).

So planning with the technical director if we lose player X what qualities are we missing so we can scout a replacement player Y etc.
So my confusion is not unusual.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

This comes after the following (Tier 2):

Liverpool agreed to pay Wilcox's salary for the full year to Southampton. United came in with the same compensation, but Southampton want more from United.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 2:

In short, Southampton claim that United offered more than a year's salary in writing, but after talking to Wilcox himself, they're now only willing to offer a year's salary to Southampton.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Tier 2:

In short, Southampton claim that United offered more than a year's salary in writing, but after talking to Wilcox himself, they're now only willing to offer a year's salary to Southampton.
Why is nothing ever straight forward for us?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Tier 2:

Hope that's not correct. Pretty shitty move if true.