Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which I suspect would include hiring Pep Guardiola if we finished 5th with him. It included hiring Jose Mourinho when he finished 2nd and won cups.

Allow me to explain. This is what reality looks like. Under Sir Alex, we won the league repeatedly. While we were doing that, other clubs were not sacking their Chief Exec every year they failed to. Teams don’t sack their executive if they don’t win a league for 6 years. They sack their managers. Like we have. Otherwise execs would be sacked every year at every club.
Most top teams don't rely on their executive to run the footballing side of the club. Most clubs are not Manchester United where expectations are so high. Most owners who cared about footballing performance would have grave concerns about Woodward's performance over the last 6 years. Luckily for him, ours don't. They only care about profit, and Woodward is good at making them money.

With no Sanchez and Fred, we'd have to change the lyrics to that "Ole's at the Wheel" song. I quite like those lyrics so I think we should keep them.

We've got Sancho, Paul Pogba and Dalot, and Rashford, he's manc born you know.

Or other such deviations....!

My Portuguese friend swears up and down that he's the next Portuguese star in the Bernardo Silva mold

Would be quite the upgrade of Herrera or Mata

26 goals and 14 assists this season alone? Wow.

He broke the world record for a marketing toy. He was bragging about how he wanted to break the world record for an age before it. And I don’t think for a minute that Sanchez isn’t another marketing toy. We had briefs the other week that they didn’t want to get rid of him yet because he was still important to our marketing.

He’s shown to be good at handling managers? The managers may have a different view. In what way is telling the media you know better than your manager and then continuing with him in the job evidence of being good at handling managers? If the time comes when you no longer trust your manager and it is to the direct detriment of the team you sack him there and then. What Woodward did was leave us in a shit halfway house and left us in a situation where a miracle was required to finish two places lower than we did the year before.

If you think Woodward’s priority isn’t marketing and profit then you’re beyond engaging in a reasonable discussion. It’s as clear as day what his priority is. That there are idiots who thought those players were good signings doesn’t negate the possibility that Woodward knows little about football. Though I would agree there a lot of really bad wannabe scouts on this forum.

This marketing toy thing is again baseless and seemingly emotional. So if I say we signed Pogba and Sanchez because the manager wanted them, and you say it’s because they were ‘marketing toys’ - when we step back, which is more reasonable? Are Pogba and Sanchez not actually top football players? Or did we mistakenly sign them instead of Kylie Jenner? That just smacks of criticising to criticise. If we pursue the best players in the world, I suspect they may also be a little bit popular and marketable. I don’t think anyone have a feck about what Sanchez did off the pitch anyway. He’s popular because he’s been good at football for a long time.

We don’t know the detail of what happened last summer. Backing your manager doesn’t mean he gets any player he wants anyway. If he says ‘buy a 29 y/o defender with one year on his deal for £70m’, I think the boss has a right to veto. City pulled out of signing Sanchez, despite Pep wanting him. Should they have sacked him too, as they don’t believe in him?

I don’t know what Woodward does or doesn’t know about football. I know that he lives a life and works in the world that is caf experts commentate on all day every day. I would guess that he knows as much as he needs to know.

The bottom line is that we haven’t won the league. Not that we haven’t bought players. Good players. Not that we haven’t appointed proven successful managers. We all want United to win, I accept, but when we don’t, we just blame who we know. Why does nobody want Arnold or whatever his name is sacked? Apparently he leads on transfers anyway. I suspect what really happens in the running of a top football club is far from whatever we have put together from scraps of newspaper headlines that change everyday.

I’d agree regarding Sanchez’s salary. It’s just another stick being used to beat him with.
The problem with Ed is that he provides the sticks.

The only real defence of Woodward from sycophants is: "you're just a random fan on the internet, you couldn't do better!". Which is irrelevant of course, since we are not being paid a huge amount of money to do the job. He is though. When someone is in charge of a massive institution that you care about, you want the best people in charge - people who know more than the average fan.

The problem with Ed is that he provides the sticks.

The only real defence of Woodward from sycophants is: "you're just a random fan on the internet, you couldn't do better!". Which is irrelevant of course, since we are not being paid a huge amount of money to do the job. He is though. When someone is in charge of a massive institution that you care about, you want the best people in charge - people who know more than the average fan.

And how do you determine the best person to be in charge? Us winning the treble? He’s not a coach or player. We have spent a lot of money under him on proven football players. When ‘random fans on the internet’ start dismissing that as ‘yea but they were just marketing toys’ it is clear that the discussion serves little benefit.

No one is paying that much because they know Barca are chasing de Ligt.

I know this wouldn't be a huge issue most games, but Lindelöf/Umtiti would be quite a short and aerially weak CB partnership no? Other than that though, they'd make a nice balanced pair on paper and could really help us with our build-up play.

A thread of tweets about Pogba.
"United assume that must negociate for Pogba but will try to "fish" in Madrid".
"United know that Pogba wants to come to Madrid"
"Solskjaer tries to buy some time saying that Pogba has the doors closed but ultimately they know That Pogba wants to leave and Will have to sit and hear offers"
"Pogba asked Raiola weeks ago to fix his relationship with Madrid and not to hinder his desire"
"a factor that can facilitate the operation: Solskjaer would like the idea of signing some player from Madrid.In concrete he showed interest in two "(Bale and Varane)

Jose is gone and Pogba still wants to leave. Don't even know what to say.

If we can sell him for £35m that would be great business. If we go for it we could generate a lot of money in sales this summer.

I could imagine Real offering us 15m to be paid over 5 years whilst also quoting us 100m for Varane to be paid immediately.

Hate that club.

"Solskjaer tries to buy some time saying that Pogba has the doors closed but ultimately they know That Pogba wants to leave and Will have to sit and hear offers"
"Pogba asked Raiola weeks ago to fix his relationship with Madrid and not to hinder his desire"
"a factor that can facilitate the operation: Solskjaer would not "look with bad eyes"/like the idea of" the signing of some player from Madrid.In concrete he showed interest un two "(Bale and Varane)

Marca would give Goebells a run for his money when it comes to propaganda.

"a factor that can facilitate the operation: Solskjaer would like the idea of signing some player from Madrid.In concrete he showed interest in two "(Bale and Varane)

That last part is very hard to believe. If he is interested in Bale it literally goes against his own words about signing for the future and not just to make an impact for a season or two. And also who would be interested in Bale anyway with his ridiculous injury problems and even more absurd, his wages and probably huge transfer fee.

It's Marca...they claim that Real are going to sign every top clubs star every single summer

Pogba wont be here long either way in my opinion. He is going to want to win the big trophies and we cant do it.

26 goals and 14 assists this season alone? Wow.

Yeah but it's just the (add country here) league.

Looks a real talent and would love to see him here, our team stinks when it comes to technical ability.

If Pogba wants out, let him go. Brilliant player on his day but he just doesn't seem bothered in an United shirt.

If and when he signs to Juve or Madrid, he'll become top 3 Ballon D'or eventually but we shouldn't be phased, he doesn't have the hunger here to achieve it.

It's extremely valuable on and off the pitch for a club. In this new market we could buy a new midfield 3 for his transfer fee.

Yeah but it's just the (add country here) league.

Looks a real talent and would love to see him here, our team stinks when it comes to technical ability.

To be fair scoring that many goals as a CAM nullifies the league argument. Especially when they're absolute unstoppable bangers from outside the box :lol:.

If Pogba leaves and he can offer half that assist & goal output every season he would be a fine replacement in an attacking CM situation.

To be fair scoring that many goals as a CAM nullifies the league argument. Especially when they're absolute unstoppable bangers from outside the box :lol:.

If Pogba leaves and he can offer half that assist & goal output every season he would be a fine replacement in an attacking CM situation.

Exactly, phenomenal stats regardless. I hope we go for him even if Pogba stays. Sign a better DM than Matic also.

Griezmann will say yes to Barsa.His setting(agent?) has already spoken with them

This marketing toy thing is again baseless and seemingly emotional. So if I say we signed Pogba and Sanchez because the manager wanted them, and you say it’s because they were ‘marketing toys’ - when we step back, which is more reasonable? Are Pogba and Sanchez not actually top football players? Or did we mistakenly sign them instead of Kylie Jenner? That just smacks of criticising to criticise. If we pursue the best players in the world, I suspect they may also be a little bit popular and marketable. I don’t think anyone have a feck about what Sanchez did off the pitch anyway. He’s popular because he’s been good at football for a long time.

We don’t know the detail of what happened last summer. Backing your manager doesn’t mean he gets any player he wants anyway. If he says ‘buy a 29 y/o defender with one year on his deal for £70m’, I think the boss has a right to veto. City pulled out of signing Sanchez, despite Pep wanting him. Should they have sacked him too, as they don’t believe in him?

I don’t know what Woodward does or doesn’t know about football. I know that he lives a life and works in the world that is caf experts commentate on all day every day. I would guess that he knows as much as he needs to know.

The bottom line is that we haven’t won the league. Not that we haven’t bought players. Good players. Not that we haven’t appointed proven successful managers. We all want United to win, I accept, but when we don’t, we just blame who we know. Why does nobody want Arnold or whatever his name is sacked? Apparently he leads on transfers anyway. I suspect what really happens in the running of a top football club is far from whatever we have put together from scraps of newspaper headlines that change everyday.
He openly talks about their marketability. Yes they’re both good footballers but I don’t believe that we have paid the fee we did for Pogba if it didn’t have money making potential outside of what he does on a football pitch. Why was Woodward so obsessed with breaking the record? The problem isn’t about buying great players and benefitting from them through marketing. The problem for me is when money can be found for those players but when the manager wanted a defender it was decided that the money wasn’t there unless it was Raphael Varane. Tell me why that makes senses and isn’t proof of his intentions? The same amount of money isn’t available for unfashionable players that won’t look good in magazines.

The issue isn’t disagreeing with one deal, it was deciding you know better and leaving the squad short as a result. Alderweireld wasn’t the only defender that could’ve improved us. Woodward decided to tell the press if it wasn’t Varane then what’s the point.

Yeah, they didn’t sign Sanchez. But City didn’t decide that because they couldn’t get that one player that they just wouldn’t bother signing another for that position and tell the press they knew better than Guardiola. Therein lies the difference.

I’d suggest he doesn’t know enough about football which is one of the reasons we are where we find ourselves. Maybe it is Arnold but Woodward is the public face so therefore he gets the criticism or praise.

I think we’ve taken up enough of the tweets thread with this shite anyway. I’m happy to discuss in a Woodward thread if you like.

The impact of Sanchez’ salary has become another limitless fable in my humble opinion. Everyone knows the circumstances surrounding us signing Alexis Sanchez for a lot less than the £90m-odd he was worth, and we know what it means for his wages. If you are unsure as to just how well we know this, look back at threads when we signed him. The only issue with Alexis Sanchez is that he has not performed as he should have. I repeat, AS HE SHOULD HAVE. We, very reasonably, expected him to play much better than he has. I suspect a delve into old posts would suggest that this included yourself. Making him our highest paid player at the time was also not unreasonable. He came to us as one of the best players in the league in his prime, having turned 29 a month before.

Also, Sanchez’ salary is not the problem with other negotiations. The market is. If De Gea demands to be paid a figure above that of Sanchez, what are his options? Go elsewhere? That would suggest that other clubs would pay him what he wants. So long as that exists, Sanchez’ salary is irrelevant. Put simply, if Sanchez earns 400k and we only offer De Gea 300k, he won’t then leave to earn £250k elsewhere. If he does leave to earn £400k elsewhere, then what we pay Sanchez is irrelevant. The issue is us not paying De Gea what he could get elsewhere.

‘Ed has helped negotiate Smalling, Jones and Shaw on huge long term deals’. Firstly, how ‘huge’ are we talking in terms of Smalling and Jones? Do you even know what they earn? Or is the problem that he has given new contracts to players the club want to keep, while the caf thinks they should be sold? You call it ‘rewarding mediocrity’, but that to me, is hypocrisy. It is asking Woodward to do what people say they don’t want him to do, make football decisions, and rate our players based on his own opinion and decide who to keep. If our managers want to keep Smalling, Jones and Shaw, Woodward needs to get it done for a price we think is reasonable. These particular deals don’t sit well, seemingly because we rate them less than the club do.

The ‘inability to get rid of Rojo, Darmian and Valencia’. Who exactly was trying to ‘get rid’ of them? Redcafe? Valencia has been allowed to leave anyway with his deal not being extended, and Darmian is worth a negligible amount anyway so I doubt that bothers you much. As for Rojo, the last manager chose to extend his contract, and I haven’t seen us resisting offers for him anyway. There was talk of Wolves wanting him last summer, and Everton, but they went elsewhere in the end.

As for your last question, I am confident going into the summer with Woodward. I believe he will go after the players the manager wants, and I believe he will be prepared to spend a lot of mkney to get them. That’s about as much as I can ask of him. We may Not sign them. They may go to Barcelona or City instead. There are other good clubs with money.
I think that you might be Ed Woodward, you have infiltrated the caf. Firstly I was one of many excited when Sanchez came, don't think many could have seen how disappointing he'd be. I disagree with you about the contract with Sanchez, yes there was no transfer fee but he had only a few months left on his contract and we swapped a player for him. He was definitely not in his prime when he came here, he was being benched by Arsenal and not performing to the standard he was a while before. We thought a new start was what was needed and he could work under Jose, let's not rewrite history, he was in bad form the end of previous season. He definitely was going to be on big wages, nobody would argue that. What you should argue is that how much more than our top earners he would be on, the potential 70 grand a week bonus for starting games that the BBC reported the other day. That's scandalous if true, doesn't take a genius to figure out that's not going to sit well with some. Especially with many players with contract renewals coming up. That's just poor long term planning, Ed Woodward has to take blame. Jose didn't give a feck if we were paying him a million a week, he was never here for the long term. The contract to me wasn't properly thought out. It was in one part stopping city from getting stronger, secondly trying to make a statement marquee signing without thinking of long term consequence. That deal was poorly planned and it felt reactionary, it's not like we offered 10 grand more than city did.

That's the point isn't it, our transfer policy has been erratic. From buying Fellaini in a Summer for more than we had to, from buying Paul Pogba on a record fee as an investment. Managers definitely had a say in our transfer plans but Ed Woodward is not getting a pass, responsibility has to be taken. He's played a huge part in the mess that we are currently in.

Darmian could have be sold last summer, Italian clubs were put off the price. Yeah you can't fleeced but what's the point keeping someone who isn't going to play. Somebody who wants to move on and isn't close to second choice. I'm not going in to with the chuckle brothers at the back. If you think keeping Smalling and Jones on long term contract was a wise move then you must have been in hibernation since Fergie left, we aren't getting back to the top with these two starting regular.

Where is the long term planning, accountability and most importantly responsibility? Ed Woodward was appointed by the Glazers to help the club on and off the pitch. He's got many commercial deals off the pitch but unless the club start performing on it then that's not sustainable forever. Blame can't be pinned on one individual but it must be shared. Your delusional if you think this summer will run smoothly, we only have other Summers to compare it to. We need a DOF who is planning for the next five to ten years, that's with a route from the academy to first team, recruitment of youth/experience and preparing for exits. It's not about letting better players leave because of poor contract negotiations, keeping players in obvious decline and relying on one window to fix it all. Sick of Glazer sympathisers in here. You can construct your posts as elegant as you want, doesn't change that there is flawed points throughout it.

I think that you might be Ed Woodward, you have infiltrated the caf. Firstly I was one of many excited when Sanchez came, don't think many could have seen how disappointing he'd be. I disagree with you about the contract with Sanchez, yes there was no transfer fee but he had only a few months left on his contract and we swapped a player for him. He was definitely not in his prime when he came here, he was being benched by Arsenal and not performing to the standard he was a while before. We thought a new start was what was needed and he could work under Jose, let's not rewrite history, he was in bad form the end of previous season. He definitely was going to be on big wages, nobody would argue that. What you should argue is that how much more than our top earners he would be on, the potential 70 grand a week bonus for starting games that the BBC reported the other day. That's scandalous if true, doesn't take a genius to figure out that's not going to sit well with some. Especially with many players with contract renewals coming up. That's just poor long term planning, Ed Woodward has to take blame. Jose didn't give a feck if we were paying him a million a week, he was never here for the long term. The contract to me wasn't properly thought out. It was in one part stopping city from getting stronger, secondly trying to make a statement marquee signing without thinking of long term consequence. That deal was poorly planned and it felt reactionary, it's not like we offered 10 grand more than city did.

That's the point isn't it, our transfer policy has been erratic. From buying Fellaini in a Summer for more than we had to, from buying Paul Pogba on a record fee as an investment. Managers definitely had a say in our transfer plans but Ed Woodward is not getting a pass, responsibility has to be taken. He's played a huge part in the mess that we are currently in.

Darmian could have be sold last summer, Italian clubs were put off the price. Yeah you can't fleeced but what's the point keeping someone who isn't going to play. Somebody who wants to move on and isn't close to second choice. I'm not going in to with the chuckle brothers at the back. If you think keeping Smalling and Jones on long term contract was a wise move then you must have been in hibernation since Fergie left, we aren't getting back to the top with these two starting regular.

Where is the long term planning, accountability and most importantly responsibility? Ed Woodward was appointed by the Glazers to help the club on and off the pitch. He's got many commercial deals off the pitch but unless the club start performing on it then that's not sustainable forever. Blame can't be pinned on one individual but it must be shared. Your delusional if you think this summer will run smoothly, we only have other Summers to compare it to. We need a DOF who is planning for the next five to ten years, that's with a route from the academy to first team, recruitment of youth/experience and preparing for exits. It's not about letting better players leave because of poor contract negotiations, keeping players in obvious decline and relying on one window to fix it all. Sick of Glazer sympathisers in here. You can construct your posts as elegant as you want, doesn't change that there is flawed points throughout it.
Darmian it was peanuts in transfer fee terms that we wouldn't let him go, but we then don't play him, but carry on paying his wages.

Exactly, phenomenal stats regardless. I hope we go for him even if Pogba stays. Sign a better DM than Matic also.

Does Pogba have the discipline sit back though? He sulked when he was playing 1 of 2 CDMs in Jose's team.

The only time Martial was actually good, was the time he had to compete with Marcus over the left winger spot, now he mainly just stands.
If we receive a 80-100 mil offer for him - should sell.
Yeah not really true. And that would be daft, we have about 4 positions to buy players for, one more would be awful.

Darmian it was peanuts in transfer fee terms that we wouldn't let him go, but we then don't play him, but carry on paying his wages.

I think we would have let him go if the Italian teams not took the piss with the transfer fee.

We can’t simply offload unwanted players for peanuts as this will become the trend...we needed to be tougher in negotiations for player sales and if we end up not getting any returns and so be it. At least those clubs will rethink their strategy next time when they want to buy our players again

Ah Marca..

Yeah not really true. And that would be daft, we have about 4 positions to buy players for, one more would be awful.

He just signed an extension too,the club won't have any thoughts of selling for a few years at least nor should they. It'd be incredibly daft

Status
Not open for further replies.