Toni Kroos | Retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he has to be one of the few players with the most complete trophy cabinet. He’s won the domestic league+cups, the CL (5 times) and the World Cup. I guess the only thing missing is the Euros.

There is no need to compare players in every damn thread all the time, just saying.

Surely he has to be one of the few players with the most complete trophy cabinet. He’s won the domestic league+cups, the CL (5 times) and the World Cup. I guess the only thing missing is the Euros.

6 times!

Remember when Van Gaal came in and vetoed the signing of this guy.

Seems a bit crazy that he is calling it quits. For both club and country he barely has to physically exert himself and just gets to run the game sort of effortlessly from deep in midfield. All those young legs around him at Madrid would allow him to carry on like this for another 2-3 seasons quite comfortably.

Seems a bit crazy that he is calling it quits. For both club and country he barely has to physically exert himself and just gets to run the game sort of effortlessly from deep in midfield. All those young legs around him at Madrid would allow him to carry on like this for another 2-3 seasons quite comfortably.
I feel the same way. I understand his point about retiring at the top completely, but he could easily be there another season or two the way he's playing. Real Madrid has the perfect players to complement him in Valverde, Bellingham, Camavinga and Tchouameni.

Andrich is a great choice to do the donkey work for him, like Khedira back in the day or Gattuso for Pirlo.

That's the thing people are missing, it's not necessarily Kroos that was the missing piece but rather a player like Andrich. They didn't have a pure number 6 to play in midfield alongside Kimmich, Gundogan or even Kroos before his retirement so there was always a gap to exploit. Andrich provides that balance in midfield.

That's the thing people are missing, it's not necessarily Kroos that was the missing piece but rather a player like Andrich. They didn't have a pure number 6 to play in midfield alongside Kimmich, Gundogan or even Kroos before his retirement so there was always a gap to exploit. Andrich provides that balance in midfield.

Same at Real where the likes of Valverde are covering some distance providing the legs in midfield.

With that being said; Kroos has arguably his greatest season ever. Just turned it on this season like no other and seemingly doing it at the German NT as well. Love the guy.

I feel the same way. I understand his point about retiring at the top completely, but he could easily be there another season or two the way he's playing. Real Madrid has the perfect players to complement him in Valverde, Bellingham, Camavinga and Tchouameni.
The physicality of players that age are really fickle, you can drop off a cliff over a summer.

Scholes was running on treacles in 2011, retired and came back and bossed it for 6 months before being back to puffing again. Modric played a gazillion games in 2022 for club and country at a high level then could barely jog for more than 30 min last season.

Kroos has nothing to prove anymore, it’s better to call it quits while on top.

Still nothing on Xavi, Iniesta or Messi.

Still nothing on Xavi, Iniesta or Messi.
Err he has more CLs, more domestic cups wins and only 1 league title less than Xavi. The only trophy the latter won that he hasn’t is the Euro, and he still has a crack at it this summer.

They are pretty much neck and neck, Xavi has a lot of individual awards though.

Schuster put it best: we have got Mbappé, but we lose Kroos. And we need Kroos a lot more than we need Mbappé :wenger:

Yeah he has a higher all time standing compared to those three.

I'd say Scholes had more natural talent but I don't think he realised it to it's full potential.
Kroos definitely has a career above anyone pretty much. Natural talent is difficult to argue; what you perform is what matters. I love Scholes, and he had qualities exceeding those of Kroos, as did Lampard and Gerrard, but overall, Kroos is just ahead.

Why are Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes more talented than Kroos?

In terms of technique, Kroos can do everything they could and more.

Today was the day I learned TAA is a better passer than Kroos. Cheers to Lee Dixon was clueing us in.

Does anyone know if these quotes are real?

Fake quotes. German journalist who translated the interview

GR4z2AtW0AALtDb

Looks like it. He tries to say it in the least offensive way possible, even stumbling a bit, but it still sounds quite… odd. My German isn’t that great so maybe our German posters can help me out, but the daughter bit is certainly there (from 1:13:50):

Status
Not open for further replies.